Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
SegRat
High School Varsity

Madden 10 Demo Live Tonight, Thoughts Here

This is the first time in a long time I have been this excited about madden in a long time. I will be playing the demo a ton. Hopefully it lives up to expectations. And hopefully the new pass rush is in the demo.

SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

It's already out from what I understand.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Still can't believe the marketing buffoons at EA decided it was a good idea to give everyone who didn't preorder a demo with 1 minute quarters.

Despite that, I'll still give it a try or see if I can get a demo code.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Still can't believe the marketing buffoons at EA decided it was a good idea to give everyone who didn't preorder a demo with 1 minute quarters.

I was at Gamestop not too long ago, and the shmuck behind the desk was trying to use this as a selling point to get me to pre-order.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i thought they were releasing madden 10 on pc?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wow that's ridiculous. 1 minute quarters? What's the point, EA?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Welp, FOFC is probably crashing tonight.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Nope.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm on vacation, so I called Gamestop to see if I could get my code over the phone.. nope.. have to physically walk into the store. I mean, can't you verify my pre-order somehow?

Would like to hear impressions though from the FOFC crowd!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Well crap...I was in GS today, then come home to read this. Guess the code isn't on your receipt, huh?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Welp, FOFC is probably crashing tonight.

Maybe, but definitely on the day the full game releases.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

I was just reading the thoughts of people on Operation Sports Forums. I'd say it's 9-1 in terms of favorable posts. I had liked what I'd been reading about this game and now I'm really thinking it'll be a purchase. Hopefully, some of you will give your impressions as well.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:

I thought it was 2 minute quarters?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
I thought it was 2 minute quarters?

No, that was early rumor. It's actually even less.

It's just a silly marketing decision. Anyone who preorders the game is going to purchase it regardless of whether they preorder or not. The people who are on the fence are the ones you're targeting with a demo, so to convince them to get the game you give them the ability to barely even try the game out? Just not very smart.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Nope.

well fuck them very much then
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just played my first game off the demo, I preordered with $5 down.

I played on All-Pro and it was OK. I wasn't blown away. I'm going to play a few more games before I decide to actually buy it.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Just played one game on the free demo (Xbox360). 1 minute quarters weren't quite enough to see everything, but saw a couple of ducks thrown by QBs when they threw as they were hit, one by me, two by the AI. No passes picked off by uber-LBs, and pass accuracy was interesting. The between-plays graphics seem really beefed up. But no time for lasting impressions, going to have to wait for the full game to get here.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
SegRat
High School Varsity

Played 2 games. The presentation is so much better. Things like the chain gain comming onto the field to see if you got a first down, Rb on a bycicle when his team was on defense, fans buying consessions. Just so much better. Played on AA and running the ball was tuff. Passing seems better, as there seems to be a pocket to stand in now. No robo QBs. Lots of duck passes when the QB gets hit trowing the ball. Wr's catching passes seem better. Overall I am impressed after 2 games. Wish I wasnt called into work tonight.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #19
Balldog
Pro Rookie

My 2nd game was a little better, I think part of my problem is the two teams I am playing with. I don't really care for either.

Pro-Tax is interesting, overall it works well but there is plenty of room for improvement. You can't always finish off a tackle, which is odd.

The challenge system is still broken, had a play where Holmes clearly caught the ball with possession and two feet inbounds that was called incomplete. I challenged it, no overrule. Viewed the replay and it was definitely a catch.

QB sneaks seem cool, I just gotta figure out the right way to do it.

Had three fumbles in the game, two by the CPU and one by me. The first one by the CPU was neat. The WR as he was getting brought down by the DB fumbled the ball. They were the only two around, the WR was able to reach out and get the ball before I could get anyone over there. The next was the smash button fumble, which caught me off guard. The third I was more prepared for

Had a cool interception, hit Fitzgerald while he was in mid-air jarring the ball loose. Palumalu(?) was able to dive and pick it off, he returned it all the way to the 5 before getting caught from behind.

Run-blocking has some major flaws. Ran a counter play, the guard that was pulling instead of coming around the corner and blocking the OLB he decided to reroute himself and get the weakside DT which resulted in a 1 yd loss.

Saw some bad pursuit angles, Palumalu had Wells all but tracked down for no gain but at the last minute he decided to take an angle that allowed for a 8 yd gain.

Last edited by Balldog : 07-23-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Went down to my man cave and downloaded the XBOX 360 1-minute version. It seems a lot more polished than the 5-minute version I have on the PS3.

Anyone know if these are from the same build? I am seriously considering switching to the 360.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #21
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Went down to my man cave and downloaded the XBOX 360 1-minute version. It seems a lot more polished than the 5-minute version I have on the PS3.

Anyone know if these are from the same build? I am seriously considering switching to the 360.

You really wanna make someone's head explode, don't you?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

I heard the PS3 version is based on the Colecovision engine, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Played two games on All-Pro with the 5-min PS3 version last night. Lost both times, but had fun. MUCH better than the crap they foisted on us last year that I returned after just a few games. Lots of presentation stuff, players look good. Constant stat updates in the scorebar.

Definitely a bad idea to throw if someone is on top of you -- threw several badly injured ducks, two of which were intercepted. Also had a fumble with the stupid button-tapping thing. Will have to turn that option off.

I also like the slower gameplay. Gives you just a fraction longer to see things. I had trouble running with Arizona, but had some decent runs when I was Pittsburgh. Blocking looks more realistic. Can definitely see Pro-Trac (or whatever it's called) going on.

Some wonky end of game stuff. When they were up at the end and trying to kill the clock, on the last play, they sent out the field goal unit, even though I was out of time outs and the clock was gonna run out. They didn't actually kick the field goal, but set up for it.

Really looking forward to August 14th.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-24-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #24
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My other comment is that I hate the current Snickers ad campaign ("Patrick Chewing") and it's all over the non-gameplay parts of the demo...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I forgot about that, but it was annoying. "Statisfying" my ass.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

You guys would really hate NYC cabs.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You guys would really hate NYC cabs.

Vegas cabs have the same issue, but I don't hate them. Something about ads for topless bars doesn't seem to bother me, but I can't put my finger on it.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
but I can't put my finger on it.

{ Adam Savage Voice }
There's your problem.
{ /Adam Savage Voice }

Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

The Wii version of Madden 10 is the first thing in about 10 years that has made me want to buy a Madden game. I *love* the new direction of the art style on the Wii. FIFA 10 has done a similar thing and it too looks great. I'm very interested in the Wii versions of both games for the first time in a LONG time.

Here is an interview with the Wii version developers of Madden 10 if you are unfamiliar with it. I'm still totally uninterested in the PS3/360 versions of these games, but the Wii version has caught my eye for the first time. The previous Wii versions of FIFA, Madden, and NCAA have done nothing for me.

I could list all of the things they are doing, but they are all at that link and in that video interview if you are interested.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #30
henry296
College Starter

MJ4H - where is the link?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #31
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
MJ4H - where is the link?

lol dunno!

Madden 10 Wii | WiiNintendo
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #32
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Finished downloading the demo this morning. I got the Cowboys-Giants. Played the Giants and won 7-0 (1 min. quarters) for the first time in a long time, I said "wow" about a football game. Great graphics, smooth game play. I felt Jacobs running style was perfect, a few times I got extra yards tucking in and bowling over a DB. Got a sack on Romo and picked him off on the hail mary at the end. Didn't hurt that the game was in 20 degree weather with 16 mph winds. I missed a FG right before the half that I would normally never miss.

Very, very impressed with the demo despite the number of missing elements.

Only gripe, the fumble thing is a bit of a button masher. I'll lose a lot of fumbles I think (I did on this one, but the replay showed Dallas pretty much had it anyway).
Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

Only gripe, the fumble thing is a bit of a button masher. I'll lose a lot of fumbles I think (I did on this one, but the replay showed Dallas pretty much had it anyway).

About to play my first game of the demo (5 minute quarters) but I'm sure I'll be turning off the fumble button mashing in the final game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I finally played the 1 min demo.. I'm not sure I like how the cut scenes play right after a play.. it's neat they discuss if a TD is a TD, but I didn't even get to enjoy the play before WHAP! the cut scene starts.

Can't tell a whole bunch for a demo, seems better than previous years.. but not much in there that wowed me. Almost too much presentation for me while the game is going on..

I'll wait for impressions/reviews before picking up my pre-order and could easily be happy with NCAA10 and NHL10 when it comes out. The good thing for me about pro football is I always have FOF to give me that fix during the season.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-25-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #35
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I got a chance to play the 1 minute demo again, I'm still impressed. I watched the replay of every play to try and nitpick, I couldn't find much to complain about.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #36
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I am liking the WR / DB interaction. I feel like my WRs are actually trying to go for the ball now rather than just letting the DB undercut the route while the WR keeps right on running with no chance.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #37
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I've found that demo's are more often than not very different then the actual final release, so I'll pass on this. I might wind up completely passing on NCAA this year in favor of Madden. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #38
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Has anyone played the 1 min. quarters and then got their code later from the preorder? I'll be buy a gamestop (not the one I preordered from, but hopefully that doesn't matter) and I'll see if I can get my code. Would like to play a little longer just to test the running game more.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #39
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Be sure that you download the demo immediately AFTER you "redeem your code". I did it backwards and now I am screwed out of having the 5 minute demo since it won't allow you to use the code twice.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I've found that demo's are more often than not very different then the actual final release, so I'll pass on this. I might wind up completely passing on NCAA this year in favor of Madden. We'll see what happens.

I know NCAA plays much differently than the demo.. so I'll wait to see what FOFCers are saying about Madden before I pick it up.

It's weird, but those cut scenes right after a play bother me..
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #41
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

This is what I should've done. I will likely be trading NCAA in order to get Madden. The demo of Madden (which I haven't bought in five years I believe) plays better than the final NCAA IMO. I highly prefer college football but am very underwhelmed this year.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #42
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I know NCAA plays much differently than the demo.. so I'll wait to see what FOFCers are saying about Madden before I pick it up.

Is there a way to disable the post-play cut scenes, sort of a "quick game" option?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #43
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

The one thing I really like about the new Madden is that fade pass at the goal line actually works like a true fade.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Is there a way to disable the post-play cut scenes, sort of a "quick game" option?

Not sure about that.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

FWIW.......the cut scenes were an obvious nod to "The Show" and its influence on the developers. I know some haven't played the game since it's only on the PS3, but I'm sure it popped out right away for those who have played the game.

The think that the development team is going to have to work on is the timing and use of the cutscenes in a sport that is time-based (i.e. moving clock and play clock). It'll be a work in progress to get this working smoothly, but it's a good first step judging from the demo.

I know that "The Show" had the option to hit a button to skip any cut scenes. I'm assuming that Madden will have something similar to avoid having to watch all cut scenes.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FWIW.......the cut scenes were an obvious nod to "The Show" and its influence on the developers. I know some haven't played the game since it's only on the PS3, but I'm sure it popped out right away for those who have played the game.

The think that the development team is going to have to work on is the timing and use of the cutscenes in a sport that is time-based (i.e. moving clock and play clock). It'll be a work in progress to get this working smoothly, but it's a good first step judging from the demo.

I know that "The Show" had the option to hit a button to skip any cut scenes. I'm assuming that Madden will have something similar to avoid having to watch all cut scenes.

I like the cut scenes.. but at least let me savor a TD before going into it. (for a close play TD)

It's only a demo, so maybe they just crammed a bunch of stuff into 1 min quarters...
Old 07-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually, they have said it was a nod to NFL 2k5. Some of the cutscenes are almost identical to 2k5's.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Actually, they have said it was a nod to NFL 2k5. Some of the cutscenes are almost identical to 2k5's.

Well, some would say that The Show is an direct descendant from that game, but I'm not interested in arguing. They've cited extensively in several articles that the developers were forced to play The Show extensively to make sure a similar experience was presented. I loved 2K5 as well and still have a copy, so I wouldn't be disappointed with either one.

Either way, it's a vast improvement over what they had in previous iterations.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-26-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #49
RainMaker
General Manager

Downloaded and played last night on the 360. The 1 minute quarters are an insult to people. I also don't understand why you wouldn't want the commentary and stuff in there to show how the game actually is (I know it's bad but it can't be worse than silence). Anyways..

- The run game looks a lot better. Saw a lot smaller holes and more short yardage gains. It felt in old ones you either had no gain or long gains. I can see grinding out a lot more runs this year for 3-5 yards.

- Pass rush seems better this year but still no real pocket.

- The cutscenes are real nice and they have really upped the ante on presentation. Clearly mimicing what The Show has done and it's real nice. Gives you the feel like you're watching it on TV.

- The passing game seemed improved. I only played on Pro so I didn't look for super human DBs but I liked having to make reads faster and it wasn't as easy to throw deep as in previous games. Will be interesting to see the difference in a Tony Romo and a 3rd string QB as there usually was little to none in previous versions.

- I like the tackling animations a lot more. Much more fluid and realistic. I didn't really see any low tackles though that are used by smaller players.

It looks like a real nice improvement, the first since it's moved to the next gen. Probably going to pick it up if I don't hear about any massive bugs in the first week. The new development team really seems to be focusing on the game which is all I can really ask.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #50
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not interested in arguing.

Actually, the rest of your post seems to imply that you are, in fact, very interested in arguing.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote