Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2003, 11:49 PM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

To kill an American

Found on another board:

To Kill an American

You probably missed it in the rush of news last week, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So an Australian dentist wrote the following to let everyone know what an American is, so they would know when they found one. (Good on ya, mate!!!!)

An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be Canadian, Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan. An American may also be a Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, Seminole or one of the many other tribes known
as native Americans.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses. An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God given right of each person the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country.! As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in
Afghanistan.

Americans welcome the best, the best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes. But they also welcome the least.

The national symbol of America, The Statue of Liberty, welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed. These in fact are the people who built America. Some of them were working in the Twin Towers the morning of September 11, 2002 earning a better life for their families. I've been told that the World Trade Center
victims were from at least 30 other countries, cultures, and first
languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo, and Stalin, and Mao Tse-Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 11:57 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

USA!! USA!! USA!!

Great write up.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:45 AM   #3
andy m
High School Varsity

mmm, cheddar.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:16 AM   #4
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Andy, don't take this the wrong way... but go to hell. I'm so sick of your smarmy little postings.

I really think it's time to think about what kind of example it sets for an anti-American like yourself to hang out at a message board devoted to an American football game. Some would say it makes you a hypocrite.

I say calling you a hypocrite would be a compliment, considering the fact that really you're a pompous yet ignorant wanker.

I'm sure I'll be suspended or banned for this. I don't care. I'm tired of you bashing the patriotism of others and sick of your smartass comments without any thoughtful discourse. I don't agree with everyone here, but I can at least respect their opinion when they try to formulate intelligent debate.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:44 AM   #5
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 04-04-2003, 07:01 AM   #6
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
Andy, don't take this the wrong way... but go to hell. I'm so sick of your smarmy little postings.

I really think it's time to think about what kind of example it sets for an anti-American like yourself to hang out at a message board devoted to an American football game. Some would say it makes you a hypocrite.

I say calling you a hypocrite would be a compliment, considering the fact that really you're a pompous yet ignorant wanker.

I'm sure I'll be suspended or banned for this. I don't care. I'm tired of you bashing the patriotism of others and sick of your smartass comments without any thoughtful discourse. I don't agree with everyone here, but I can at least respect their opinion when they try to formulate intelligent debate.

If we change the name to Tarkus and change "bashing patriotism" to bashing anyone with a differing point of view, can I post the same thing?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:03 AM   #7
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
If we change the name to Tarkus and change "bashing patriotism" to bashing anyone with a differing point of view, can I post the same thing?
Sure, as long as you remember to include a disclaimer that says you'd be willing to flip-flop all your principles if the war would cause gas prices to come down.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-04-2003 at 07:06 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:08 AM   #8
Easy Mac

Geez Skydog, I really thought you had class. Have you even read the stuff Tarkus has said about me and others with differing points of view. But I guess you only moderate those whose opinions differ from yours.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:12 AM   #9
PsychoCop
Mascot

blech. more Amrican propaganda stuff.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:13 AM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

Good letter.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:16 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Have you even read the stuff Tarkus has said about me and others with differing points of view.
1. In a word, no. I rarely read posts by Tarkus.
2. How many tiimes have I banned or suspended mrskippy???
3. Ever since reading the quote below, it is frankly difficult for me to stomach anything you say about this war. I have to wonder if you're just arguing for argument's sake, 'cause clearly you're not that passionate about what you're arguing.

Quote:
If oil prices went down as a result of the news, they can give as much misinformation as they want. Hell, I'd support the war if I saved .50 on my gallon prices... oh the days of 89 cent gas
Old 04-04-2003, 07:19 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoCop

Yep...those dang Australians, always pushing that American propaganda.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:26 AM   #13
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
1. In a word, no. I rarely read posts by Tarkus.
2. How many tiimes have I banned or suspended mrskippy???
3. Ever since reading the quote below, it is frankly difficult for me to stomach anything you say about this war. I have to wonder if you're just arguing for argument's sake, 'cause clearly you're not that passionate about what you're arguing.

I apologize for the harsh words I said to you Skydog (mainly b/c you have allowed Skippy to survive, damn you).

Actually on the quote, I was pretty much joking, just left off the emoticon, thats why the last little "89 cents" thing was there. After I felt there was an attack by you on me in the thread, I pretty much didn't feel like explaining it. Personally, I do want cheaper gas, but I really don't think a war or sanctions will help. Enough threadjacking by me though.

I agree with the orginal posting. Except they say we let in the best music. When was the last good popular song. If the public can't make Sparta the number 1 band in the country, we have a serious problem in that respect.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:29 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree with the orginal posting. Except they say we let in the best music. When was the last good popular song. If the public can't make Sparta the number 1 band in the country, we have a serious problem in that respect.

True, but in the US you have access to the music unlike many other countries in the world.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 AM   #15
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Easy,

As I said, I don't agree with you, JohnGalt, astralhaze, and several others, but you at least attempt an honest debate. andym's only contribution has been these little smartass jabs at this country, the administration, and those who support both the former and the latter. That's what I can't stand.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:34 AM   #16
PsychoCop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Yep...those dang Australians, always pushing that American propaganda.

Ok then, let me rephrase...

blech, more Coallition propaganda for Americans...
Old 04-04-2003, 07:54 AM   #17
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I apologize for the harsh words I said to you Skydog (mainly b/c you have allowed Skippy to survive, damn you).

Actually on the quote, I was pretty much joking, just left off the emoticon, thats why the last little "89 cents" thing was there. After I felt there was an attack by you on me in the thread, I pretty much didn't feel like explaining it. Personally, I do want cheaper gas, but I really don't think a war or sanctions will help. Enough threadjacking by me though.

Apology accepted. Truce?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:06 AM   #18
Easy Mac

Sure, though you can still hate me for not buying your CD yet... only 10 more dollars to go
Old 04-04-2003, 08:13 AM   #19
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A good idea is a good idea no matter who comes up with it, but, since some people here think that this piece means more than it does because it was written by a non-American, I thought that I would help get the facts straight.

Link

More importantly, this also calls into question the yet to be remarked upon statement that Pakistani newspapers publish bounties on "Americans." It very well may not be true.

America's ideals rock, and people that want to kill innocents and destroy those ideals are double plus asshats. No need to make up stories to prove those points.

TEXT OF LINK

The following was said to be written by a dentist in Australia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An American

You probably missed it in the rush of news last week, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American. So I just thought I would write to let them know what an American is, so they would know when they found one.

An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan. An American may also be a Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them choose.

An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God given right of each man and woman to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country. As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan. The best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes.

Americans welcome the best, but they also welcome the least. The national symbol of America welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed.

These in fact are the people who built America. Some of them were working in the Twin Towers in the morning of September 11, earning a better life for their families. [I've been told that the people in the Towers were from at least 30, and maybe many more, other countries, cultures, and first languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.]

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo, and Stalin, and Mao Tse-Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

So look around you. You may find more Americans in your land than you thought were there. One day they will rise up and overthrow the old, ignorant, tired tyrants that trouble too many lands. Then those lands, too, will join the community of free and prosperous nations.

And America will welcome them.

Origins: As the reaction to pieces from a Canadian broadcaster and a Romanian journalist demonstrate, Americans take great delight in encomiums to America and Americans authored by citizens of other nations.

This piece isn't such a case. The "What is an American?" article quoted above was not penned by an Australian (or a dentist), but by Peter Ferrara, an associate professor of law at the George Mason University School of Law in Northern Virginia. Mr. Ferrara's commentary was originally published in the National Review on 25 September 2001.

(Text enclosed in brackets was not part of Mr. Ferrara's piece as published, but was added by someone else.)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:15 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Sure, though you can still hate me for not buying your CD yet... only 10 more dollars to go
LOL. No, I don't hate anyone for not buying my CD. Tell ya what, I'll sing "We Are The World" for ya...
Old 04-04-2003, 08:15 AM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

I have to say, that was an excellent letter. Americans are the descendents of every nation, every culture, every religion, and every people on this planet.

If someone wants to kill an American, its almost like they want to kill their own children. Kinda makes you wonder.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 AM   #22
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
LOL. No, I don't hate anyone for not buying my CD. Tell ya what, I'll sing "We Are The World" for ya...

Only if you can get hootie on the track :P
Old 04-04-2003, 08:20 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Only if you can get hootie on the track :P
Random...

When my old band played on the back of the flatbed truck in Greenville, the band that opened for us was led by the former drummer from Hootie and The Blowfish.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:22 AM   #24
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Great post!!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:26 AM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

A good rule of thumb: if you get something in your e-mail, it's almost definetely either not true, not written by the person it says wrote it, or wrapped in a fake story of some sort. When in doubt, check snopes.com (as someone was kind enough to do already for this one).

That said, it's still a well-written piece.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:59 AM   #26
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
A good rule of thumb: if you get something in your e-mail, it's almost definetely either not true, not written by the person it says wrote it, or wrapped in a fake story of some sort. When in doubt, check snopes.com (as someone was kind enough to do already for this one).

That said, it's still a well-written piece.

I never claimed it. I just thought it was a nice letter that I found on another message board and I cut and pasted it. I really don't care who wrote it. It is a nice letter.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:21 AM   #27
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Thank you all for not quoting andy m. You have done a great service.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:44 AM   #28
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by andy m
Pip! Pip! Right-o! Is it time for tea already?

Is this the one you mean? Or was there another quote that bugged you?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:06 PM   #29
Logan
Head Coach

I don't care if that letter was written by an Australian dentist or George W. Bush.

I also don't care if in fact there was never a "bounty" placed on an American head.

The letter itself is 99% accurate (the incorrect dating of 9/11/02 instead of 9/11/01 being the only thing that isn't true).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #30
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great letter.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:36 PM   #31
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoCop

dispute any of it.
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #32
PsychoCop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by rexalllsc
dispute any of it.

People can't take sarcasm these days.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:03 AM   #33
Dutch
"Dutch"

Andy M,

Why are you so bitter to Democracy and Freedom?

I met a "man" who was on vacation in Istanbul a few months ago. He was the probably one of the most pessimistic people I had ever met, and he was vacationing in Istanbul on the British workers dime. I asked him what he would do when he got back to England and he said, "Save me money until I can make another trip."

Andy M, Socialism is a lifeless way to live.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote