Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Local "serial" killer has citizens on edge

The next town over from us home to most of my family Gaffney, SC has a busy little serial killer on its hands.

In the past week there have been 3 shootings claiming the life of 5 people. All are happening in the middle of the day. A prominent local farmer, who I knew fairly well, as well as a 2nd business owner, his 15 year old daughter, and 2 ladies (one of which graduated HS with my mother and had been planning their 35 year reunion together) are his victims to date.

Local folks are over reacting a bit I suppose, but I wonder what kind of play (if any) this is getting regionally or nationally.

Anyone else heard anything?

Coroner: Teen 5th killed by apparent serial killer - Yahoo! News

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Been following here, both through national stories & the little bit of local coverage.

Sad stuff, and from a distance I though one of the most interesting things about the story was what seemed like some very frank talk from the local authorities (police chief?sheriff?) about the level of concern in the community being very justified as well as the advice to traveling salesmen not to go knocking on doors since folks in the area tended to be well-armed & were understandably jumpy.

The other thing that caught my attention was the wording at the press conference/press release, something to the effect that the killings were definitely linked as opposed to the victims being linked, which gave me the impression that the killer was leaving some sort of unmistakable calling card that left authorities with no doubt that this was a single killer with very bad intentions.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The other thing that caught my attention was the wording at the press conference/press release, something to the effect that the killings were definitely linked as opposed to the victims being linked, which gave me the impression that the killer was leaving some sort of unmistakable calling card that left authorities with no doubt that this was a single killer with very bad intentions.

The word locally is that all the killings have been with a shotgun (in Cline Cash's case it was well reported that he was shot in the face with a shotgun) as opposed to a handgun.

And in the Mother Daughter home case both victims were bound. The Sheriff was asked if either of the Tyler's were bound and he wouldn't comment. Speculation is that they were bound as well, to what degree is anyone's guess I suppose.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 07-05-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

is it technically a serial killer though, or just a spree-killer? i forget what the technical definition is...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
is it technically a serial killer though, or just a spree-killer? i forget what the technical definition is...

Cops there definitely labeled this one as a "serial" killer. Could be talking out of their ass for all I know though.

Based on this old article from the DC sniper case, seems like this one also has the characteristics of both. Number of victims & narrow geographic area points to serial while the absence of a break between killings is more of the spree type.
http://www.slate.com/id/2072666/

edit to add: Y'know, now that I think about it, that distinction (and the fact that they distinctly used the word) makes me wonder if they know more about this guy's history than we've been told so far.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-05-2009 at 01:26 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Local Sheriff specifically stated in the presser that the FBI investigators who are assisting had labeled him a serial killer.

When I first heard the term I rolled my eyes a bit as this sheriff has a history of grand standing a bit, but I guess the FBI would be the experts on these sort of things?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

SC cops say serial killer suspect slain in NC | ajc.com

GAFFNEY, S.C. — A man suspected of killing five people and terrorizing a South Carolina community was shot to death Monday by police investigating a burglary complaint at a home 30 miles away.

Ballistics tests on a gun and bullets found with the man in Gastonia, N.C., match those used in a weeklong killing spree in and around Gaffney, said State Law Enforcement Deputy Director Neil Dolan.

"We have him. He's our serial killer," Dolan said Monday night.

Authorities did not release the man's name, but said he has had several encounters with law enforcement over the years.

Dolan said the physical evidence leaves no doubt the slain suspect was the person who shot five people to death over six days. But investigators still have no idea why he started the killing spree June 27.

"He was unpredictable. He was scary. He was weird," Dolan said.

The case came to an end in Gastonia early Monday after a couple called police to report a suspicious sport utility vehicle in their neighborhood.

Mike and Terri Valentine were on edge because the Gaffney serial killer was just a short drive away.

They watched two people who sometimes visit the neighboring home get out of the vehicle, followed by a third man who matched the description of the killer: tall, heavyset, unshaven and wearing a baseball cap. The man appeared to be very drunk, Mike Valentine said.

When officers went inside, Terri Valentine said she heard someone yell "put it down" and heard a gunshot.

Then "bam, bam, bam, bam. Next thing I know, all of Gaston County was here," she said.

Gaston County police said the other two people were in custody, but did not indicate whether they were facing charges.

The Gaffney killings happened in a 10-mile area over six days. A peach farmer was killed June 27, an 83-year-old woman and her daughter were found bound and shot four days later, and the next day a father and his teen daughter were shot in their family's furniture store.

SLED Chief Reggie Lloyd said the investigation isn't over, and Cherokee County Sheriff Bill Blanton said investigators will trace the suspect's recent activities and trying to figure out if he has killed other people in other places.

Blanton said he hopes the arrest calms the fears of 54,000 people in the county 50 miles west of Charlotte, N.C., known for its peach orchards and mills.

"We feel the victims' pain," Blanton said. "This isn't over. We're just changing gears."
Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Police say suspect in South Carolina serial killings is dead - CNN.com

Killed by the cops in a shoot out in North Carolina. Good for them.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Killed by the cops in a shoot out in North Carolina. Good for them.

Of course Sportsdigs had that way ahead of both of us
Old 07-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Autumn
Head Coach

Wow, scary stuff, that must have had everybody on edge down there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way News - Cops: Serial killer suspect slain in NC was felon
GAFFNEY, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina law enforcement officials have identified the serial killing suspect slain in North Carolina as a felon with a lengthy record who was paroled in April after seven years in prison.

They say Patrick Tracy Burris was the man responsible for shooting five people to death in a killing spree that has terrorized residents in and around Gaffney.

He was shot by police responding to a burglary complaint in Gastonia, N.C., early Monday. They say bullets in his gun matched those used to kill residents in and around Gaffney some 30 miles away.

Authorities did not immediately say where Burris was from.

North Carolina prison records show the 41-year-old served more than seven years for felony breaking and entering and larceny. He has a lengthy record.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Easy Mac

I enjoyed the press conference where the Gaffney police patted themselves on the back for a job well done and thanked the local Gaffney town people for bringing this to a close. They literally did nothing to catch this guy. It wasn't because his picture was out there that he was caught and killed. It was because some people happened to see a car go to a house at an odd our of the night, and then the dude shot a cop.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I am just glad my state does not have to pay to kill this SOB....

But it sucks that now they are not going to pay the reward to the lady who called the cops in NC....
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Of course Sportsdigs had that way ahead of both of us

I hear they had it on June 26.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote