Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(TV) The Future of Networks? ("remote" DVR allowed)

Today's decision by the Supreme Court to not hear an appeal on a new cable technology is very interesting, and it could have far-reaching consequences:

The Associated Press: High court won't block remote storage DVR system

Cable TV operators won a key legal battle against Hollywood studios and television networks on Monday as the Supreme Court declined to block a new digital video recording system that could make it even easier for viewers to bypass commercials.

The justices declined to hear arguments on whether Cablevision Systems Corp.'s remote-storage DVR system would violate copyright laws. That allows the Bethpage, N.Y.-based company to proceed with plans to start deploying the technology this summer.

With remote storage, TV shows are kept on the cable operator's servers instead of the DVR inside the customer's home, as systems offered by TiVo Inc. and cable operators currently do.

The distinction is important because a remote system essentially transforms every digital set-top box in the home into a DVR, allowing customers to sign up instantly, without the need to pick up a DVR from the nearest cable office or wait for a technician to visit.

Movie studios, TV networks and cable TV channels had argued that the service is more akin to video-on-demand, for which they negotiate licensing fees with cable providers.

They claimed a remote-storage DVR service amounts to an unauthorized rebroadcast of their programs.

I'd say within. 15-20 years.. the "Big Four" networks will be reduced to becoming VOD providers (with a notable exception, which I will discuss further in a bit). When this new technology comes out, Video On Demand/DVR will be pretty much the way to go.

You won't have as many people clamoring to watch the new episode of the latest sitcom or drama on the network's terms.. instead you'll get a smaller but still loyal "First-run" audience (I'd say.. maybe 50-60% of the current audience would watch it the instant that it became available), and then a long tail lasting weeks or months down the road.

Depending on the restrictions, (how much storage the Remote DVR can have, and how long you can keep it on the servers), this could undercut the market for DVD's of the season episodes... For example, if you used this service to record all of True Blood season 1, and there's no restrictions on how much you can have or how long you could have it, why would you shell out $40-$50 to get it on DVD, with all the hassle and disc swaps, etcetera?

News will also take a hit.. I can see them adopting a piecemeal "Little updates throughout the day" effect over the current appointment times (6-8 am, noon, 4-6 PM, 10-11 PM, depending on networks). At any time, click a button, and get the latest newscast on demand.

Sports will definitely be not as much affected as sitcom/drama will be. Why? Because with the prevalence of sports media these days, you can't get away from results. You can probably avoid seeing the spoilers for the latest episode of House while you watch 24, but you can't avoid seeing the result of the Pats-Jets game while watching the Dolphins-Niners game. So for 90% of sports fans, if they don't watch it live, they will already know what happened and thus have no reason to watch it taped.

Reality is also "appointment" TV, to a point.. American Idol is a good example.

Anyway, enough rambling. Do you think I'm overreaching here, or are we in for a sea change with how/when/why we watch TV going forward?

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

From a strictly quality point of view, I think these are the things that pave the way towards lower and lower quality drivel. As you enumerated, sports is not really affected. Nor is reality tv, for the most part. Maybe it's best for the news if the 24 hour news cycle is reduced, in a way, to the most pressing stories of the day rather than having to give the masses more and more crap to fill up their quota.

But, in general, quality scripted stuff will have lower and lower budgets as the pie is fractured more and more. On tv, lower budgets aren't really about effects but about less money to spend on good writers and good actors or keep borderline shows that are critically acclaimed but not as well watched on the air.

That said, it's not exactly the Supreme Court's place to step in and "protect" our quality of entertainment. I don't recall the 3rd Amendment being about the right to not quarter soldiers in your house so long as Law and Order is still on the air.

And, in the end, does anyone really think this is about anything more than the justices not really getting technology again? SirFozzie, you probably just summed up the important distinctions and implications better than any of them could. {Insert_Any_Justice_Name_Here} probably still has a VCR blinking midnight.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-30-2009 at 12:17 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

SI, I think in terms of quality, we'll continue to see what has already been happening - quality shows are starting to move toward cable networks from the broadcast networks - either the pay channels (HBO and Showtime) or the cable powerhouses (USA, Discovery, etc.) There's a lot of good scripted TV out there, you just have to go more places to get it, and I think this will continue.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Could DVR Save Print Journalism? - The Atlantic Business Channel

Quote:
A few years ago I got a digital video recorder ("DVR") from my cable provider. Now, I don't know how I ever lived without it. I love pausing and rewinding the TV shows I watch, and of course, fast-forwarding through commercials. The only thing that could make my DVR experience better is if I didn't have to have that stupid box taking up space in my apartment. As though they heard my prayers, the Supreme Court decided this week not to hear a case involving that very question. The standing U.S. Court of Appeals ruling clears the way for those annoying DVR boxes to be a thing of the past.
So really, what was the harm in getting rid of the boxes? Hollywood was against it. So what better source is there than the Los Angeles Times to hear its side:
The move is a blow to Hollywood, which had fought the technology all the way to the Supreme Court. Fox, NBC Universal, Paramount, CBS, Disney and other programmers argued that because Cablevision transmits recorded programs to consumers over its cable lines, the remote storage DVRs actually constitute a new on-demand service for which they should pay licensing fees.
Hmmm. Let me get this straight: Since the cable company possibly only has one recording of a TV show and hundreds of customers view that same recording, that's different from if those customers had physically recorded it on their physical DVRs instead? That's crazy.
Why would Hollywood be okay with Hulu and not remote DVR storage? The article later reveals the whole story:
Of course, what this is really about is advertising. Television executives are very worried about the ease with which consumers can skip advertisements while watching recorded programs via DVRs.
So why not be honest about it? Why not try to prevent people from fast-forwarding certain sections of commercials? That would cramp my style a little, but if I had to watch a few 20-second commercials once in a while, I'd prefer that to those annoying boxes. Besides, we all need bathroom breaks once in a while anyway.
Perhaps this win for DVR is also a win for print and online advertising revenue. If people can just fast-forward through their TV commercials, it's hard to understand why they would be any more effective than magazine or newspaper ads, in paper or online. That could begin to bridge the gap between what advertisers are willing to pay for TV and print/online advertising. As a result, maybe the DVR will save print journalism. I dare to dream.

This guy would rather watch commercials than have a box in his home. I don't agree with this guy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

honestly i think the Supreme Court got this one wrong - it's definately more akin to an unauthorized rebroadcast, because it's being broadcast to the consumer.

And as SI said it's also a shame because it will certainly lead to fewer and fewer quality scripted shows, and more and more reality-tv shit.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

As advertisers get more and more obnoxious, I look for more and more ways to avoid their ads...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

even with a dvr i'd say i watch ads maybe 25% of the time. or i use the ads to get up and change the laundry, or go into the other room and get something done quickly.

It's nice sometimes, but I'm not entirely isolated from ads or anything.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
SteveMax58
College Starter

This is a very critical decision in terms of how you will be able to watch TV moving forward. As Peregrine pointed out, just one example is that this tends to move the "quality" programming to subscriber fee networks like HBO, Sowtime, etc.

One thing I will say is that the movement of more programming to a subscription based model also opens the door to a-la-carte programming. I know this "sounds" nice to many, and in theory is a nice thought, but the reality there is that there is no proper mechanism to make that truly affordable or provide the amount of diverse networks you see today. Truly...if 3/4 of the networks you have available today had to stand on their own viability...you'd have 1/4 the channels for maybe 25% cost reduction. I'm not even sure about that price reduction amount (which is a highly speculative number due to the compounding variables to it) since the reduction in competive viewing leads to more entrenched fat-cat networks who dictate cost rather than compete for it. Slippery slope type of thing...hard to say if its a bed of flowers or a puddle of mud at the bottom. Either way...I didnt want to threadjack on this topic...just putting another pathway of possibility due to this decision out there.

Another advantage is the fact that you may not need a Settop Box (STB) in the future as well...if the Consumer electronics association can get their act together and create an interfacing capable HDTV that starts at
$1000. Some may not care about this...but it is important to many consumers (myself included). I can tell you CATV co's do not like purchasing STB's either...it's a win-win on that front.

As far as the big 4 networks...they will stick around but the local affiliate is likely the one that will go the way of the dinosaur at some point. You'll likely see just the big 4 in sustainable markets...and national feeds to the rest. This will likely takes quite a number of years to play out and technology could change things between now and the perceived breaking point.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
honestly i think the Supreme Court got this one wrong - it's definately more akin to an unauthorized rebroadcast, because it's being broadcast to the consumer.

And as SI said it's also a shame because it will certainly lead to fewer and fewer quality scripted shows, and more and more reality-tv shit.

Possibly. It does sound like video-on-demand. But I wonder what subscribers will have access to. The thing with a box at home is that there are size limitations, and you have to know in advance what you want to tape (or instruct the box to look for it anyway). Are users going to be able to retrieve shows after the fact? How long are they going to be available? Will they have quotas?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

If networks drop the quality of scripted shows, things like webisodes will move in to fill the void. With The Guild moving from it's own site to MSN and XBox Live, I think you will see more clever shows make the leap to On Demand and eventually DVR formats.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
If networks drop the quality of scripted shows, things like webisodes will move in to fill the void. With The Guild moving from it's own site to MSN and XBox Live, I think you will see more clever shows make the leap to On Demand and eventually DVR formats.

but you gotta pay for those somehow...
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Possibly. It does sound like video-on-demand. But I wonder what subscribers will have access to. The thing with a box at home is that there are size limitations, and you have to know in advance what you want to tape (or instruct the box to look for it anyway). Are users going to be able to retrieve shows after the fact? How long are they going to be available? Will they have quotas?

It depends on how it is run. It seems to me that the system in use here is akin to a DVR. Whereby you choose a program and it is recorded to the Cablevision servers for you to retrieve later.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It depends on how it is run. It seems to me that the system in use here is akin to a DVR. Whereby you choose a program and it is recorded to the Cablevision servers for you to retrieve later.

That is what I thought was being discussed as well. Just like some providers have multiple room DVRs, this works similarly. My understanding was that Cablevision went down this road due to licensing issues/patent issues with the Multi-room DVR capability that they could not get around so they designed what in their mind would be the next thing.

It would record the shows, but you still have to forward through commercials just like your normal home DVR.. I could be wrong though, but the previous discussion about the "Network DVR" stated that it was in no way a Video on Demand solution. It acted more like shared storage that was user initiated.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Yes...thats how it works. The initial storage capacity & time limits will be comparable to a typical DVR STB. Possible (and likely) that both will increase over time, but initially, I would expect this to look and feel very similar for many (non-technical) reasons.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Aaaah - well then maybe it's less VoD then I thought...
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
but you gotta pay for those somehow...

Exactly. The current webisode model still relies on paid advertising. Advertisers will be less inclined to pay if you can't guarantee the eyeballs. This is why you often cannot fast forward over the advertising on webisodes and other video content.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Aaaah - well then maybe it's less VoD then I thought...

I don't know law that well, but my guess is the fact this box isn't really VoD is what caused the case to not be heard. The VoD parallel is what the content providers were trying to tie their case to by saying this was unauthorized rebroadcast (because it would be streaming from the cable provider). Basically the ruling from the court in a sense was simply that this Network DVR is just a NAS device rather than a media streamer if I understand the case correctly.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
Klinglerware
College Starter

Also, the current research seems to indicate that the DVR is not going to make TV advertising obsolete.

- you see more households who do skip commercials, but it isn't ubiquitous or consistent
- some studies also show that skippers actually pay more attention to the imagery of the commercials since they are intent on timing the skip correctly.

As for the second point, that was pretty interesting to me. When you think of the goal of advertising as being as much to keep the brand in the minds of the consumer in the long-term as much as it is to convince the consumer to buy in the short term--then advertisers may still be willing to buy even in the DVR context.

And finally, even in the world of the DVR, TV is still usually the most efficient way to reach a lot of consumers in one shot. This is why advertisers haven't stopped buying even if the effectiveness may be reduced.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm with you on most of your points for now but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
When you think of the goal of advertising as being as much to keep the brand in the minds of the consumer in the long-term as much as it is to convince the consumer to buy in the short term--then advertisers may still be willing to buy even in the DVR context.

But only at a reduced rate, likely one so heavily discounted that it cuts extremely deeply into the networks/operators/affiliates & leads to more staff & programming cutbacks.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #20
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't know law that well, but my guess is the fact this box isn't really VoD is what caused the case to not be heard. The VoD parallel is what the content providers were trying to tie their case to by saying this was unauthorized rebroadcast (because it would be streaming from the cable provider). Basically the ruling from the court in a sense was simply that this Network DVR is just a NAS device rather than a media streamer if I understand the case correctly.

I think if they want to say that Network DVR is a rebroadcast, then they should also be advocating against ANY DVR which does not restrict FFWD capabilities. All non-broadcast content is technically from a streaming server...it's the restrictions you employ in the business rules end of it(sometimes contained in the video stream like for DRM, most of the time managed by the STB software). But to me...that's a different arguement than what they were trying to fight.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I think if they want to say that Network DVR is a rebroadcast, then they should also be advocating against ANY DVR which does not restrict FFWD capabilities. All non-broadcast content is technically from a streaming server...it's the restrictions you employ in the business rules end of it(sometimes contained in the video stream like for DRM, most of the time managed by the STB software). But to me...that's a different arguement than what they were trying to fight.

Yeah, that is where I get fuzzy on the entire discussion. In my mind it is just a technological advancement to the old practice of people recording tv shows on VHS to watch later. What was the law or rulings on that? I assume this type of thing falls right in line with the legality (or non-legality) of that process.

I may be completely wrong, but my understanding was that you could do that for personal use but could not give that recording to anyone else or rebroadcast it to others without written consent. The entire idea behind a DVR or now Network DVR is the same function with newer technology.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #22
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yeah, that is where I get fuzzy on the entire discussion. In my mind it is just a technological advancement to the old practice of people recording tv shows on VHS to watch later. What was the law or rulings on that? I assume this type of thing falls right in line with the legality (or non-legality) of that process.

There was a copy protection scheme employed by Studios made by Macrovision in the 80's which rendered VHS recordings unwatchable (or non-optimal at the least depending on the VCR). But I believe it wasnt until the late 90's or early 2000's until (IIRC) the FCC mandated the CEA to use a copy protection scheme on all newly built VCRs which comply with a single record flag(cant recall the exact term at the moment). When the single flag is used up, you would not be able to record another copy. Naturally this didnt apply to older VCRs, so it took a little while to weed this out. This "flag" was placed in the video signal (or the VBI) by the originating owner. EDIT: Just to add...it was theoretically possible to make multiple copies, just not from the same VCR.

Quote:
I may be completely wrong, but my understanding was that you could do that for personal use but could not give that recording to anyone else or rebroadcast it to others without written consent. The entire idea behind a DVR or now Network DVR is the same function with newer technology.
Yeah, that is the current acceptance philosophy of DVR. It started with TiVO and likely went right over the Bureaucrats heads' at the time. If TiVO ever gets put out of business...I'd expect them to change this at some point.

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 06-30-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
SportsDino
College Prospect

A personal DVR is capturing the signal coming in to your house and storing it off for later. You paid for that signal, and its your own personal use, so I think the old VCR logic applies, whether you strip out commercials or not.

This device stores the signal on a server somewhere, presumably at your command. Since we all can assume there is no real upload bandwidth, the server does not actually receive the file from the end user, but rather, stores the signal before it ever leaves the server (I would presume). So the service is for a remote device to record something for you.

If the end user had to make a request for every DVR'ed show, than maybe we can consider this an odd extension of personal use. However, if EVERY TV show is stored and can be requested at any time... it seems like there should be some sort of opt in system for the networks to apply. It smells way too much like bending way outside the license of their copyright.

I think that is what the ultimate technology will end up as, but I think something will need to happen. Eventually I presume the contracts for new content between cable and networks are going to become very heated... as cable I think is trying to bite off more than they have a right to.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post

if EVERY TV show is stored and can be requested at any time... it seems like there should be some sort of opt in system for the networks to apply. It smells way too much like bending way outside the license of their copyright.

this is what i originally thought it was, but it sounds like not? but then again does anyone really know what's going on inside the cable companies? would you put it past them to just have every tv show they broadcast stored?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm with you on most of your points for now but ...

But only at a reduced rate, likely one so heavily discounted that it cuts extremely deeply into the networks/operators/affiliates & leads to more staff & programming cutbacks.

Sure, that's certainly possible. On the other hand, DVR households watch more TV as a whole, and they tend to stick with the programs they do watch (i.e. less surfing). You do have a lot of commercial skippers in DVR households, but it's probably not too much more if you compare it to the non-DVR population that leaves the room or starts channel surfing when commercials come on.

If couched in this way, the DVR may be less of a threat than broadcasters believe: the potential number of impressions increases since TV viewing increases, and the likelihood that advertisers are spending their money against the targets they want also increases since DVR viewers are more likely to stick with the programs they do record.

In fact, it may be the case that TV advertising could be done more efficiently and effectively because of the DVR and other "on-demand" technologies, if leveraged correctly. The research is still not definitive yet, but if there is support for the notion that effectiveness does not decrease substantially, or if targeting/viewership can be better guaranteed--then I think that the broadcasters have some leverage to keep rates where they are.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
this is what i originally thought it was, but it sounds like not? but then again does anyone really know what's going on inside the cable companies? would you put it past them to just have every tv show they broadcast stored?

IMO, from a technical perspective it would make NO sense for them to have every individual person store off their own personal copy of a show somewhere on their server. What a complete, massive waste of space.

Even if you have to "schedule ahead", it would seem like it would still be smart of them to not store the same show 1,000's of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
IMO, from a technical perspective it would make NO sense for them to have every individual person store off their own personal copy of a show somewhere on their server. What a complete, massive waste of space.

Even if you have to "schedule ahead", it would seem like it would still be smart of them to not store the same show 1,000's of times.

Exactly my thought. And doesn't that shift it more to a VoD type service then?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If I was the networks I'd have it written into my contract that I could go into any cable companies server-farm and verify any show off my network and make sure it was being stored thousands of times. Just to fuck them over financially.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #29
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Exactly my thought. And doesn't that shift it more to a VoD type service then?

I mean.. if the user has to "choose to record" the show I guess it's not EXACTLY VoD. Even if on the back-end they're sharing one file amongst multiple users. I can think of ways around the legal mumbo-jumbo of it to show that it's no different than if they stored that same file in many different places.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

The scheduling aspect is the way it's intended to work. The cost of network storage is cheaper (per MB) than to replicate across STBs. It also allows for a future path which alleviates the need for STBs...which is a good thing from the CATV/IPTV industry perspective.

It doesnt make sense from a storage efficiency standpoint only IF...you cross the threshold of recording EVERY program being less storage than ONLY what the DVR users record. So recording 500 versions of 'House' is still better than recording 1 version of 50,000 shows across all networks.

Honestly, the transport of the DVR content is what makes it questionable to implement...since it eats up resources that could be kept at the consumer's home. But those that are adopting must believe the cost/benefit is favorable enough...in some way, shape, or form.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #31
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
I think that is what the ultimate technology will end up as, but I think something will need to happen. Eventually I presume the contracts for new content between cable and networks are going to become very heated... as cable I think is trying to bite off more than they have a right to.

Yes...contract renewals will be heated to say the least.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #32
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
It doesnt make sense from a storage efficiency standpoint only IF...you cross the threshold of recording EVERY program being less storage than ONLY what the DVR users record. So recording 500 versions of 'House' is still better than recording 1 version of 50,000 shows across all networks.

That's easy. You have some sort of algorithm - record 1 copy of X show for every Y customers that record it. So if Your show is House and you record 1 copy for every 1,000 customers - you'd have 50 copies if 50,000 people set it to record. If 0 people set it to record, you'd have 0 copies.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #33
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
That's easy. You have some sort of algorithm - record 1 copy of X show for every Y customers that record it. So if Your show is House and you record 1 copy for every 1,000 customers - you'd have 50 copies if 50,000 people set it to record. If 0 people set it to record, you'd have 0 copies.

Well, it isn't nearly as easy as it might seem. What you're suggesting would require inclusion into standards (and some proprietary) interface syntax, as well as require data collection that isn't currently collected (careful not to lump things like Nielsen ratings into thinking this is tracked). Even if the standards part were easy enough to change in 5 minutes...you'd then need a multitude of vendors to upgrade and adapt their products + time to implement. Just isn't nearly pressing enough to bother.

It is actually "easier" to just store more versions...at the end of the day. Things change too fast in this business to go through the hassle of redefining all of the interfaces (and subsequent standards) to be slightly more efficient at storing...when storage is not deemed to be a pressing issue. Might be someday...but it's not even visible in the rear view mirror.

EDIT to add: Also keep in mind these "devices" used in technologies like this really only have a shelf-life of about 3-5 years due to the cost to upgrade vs. the cost to replace. So...day 1 N-DVR may work like this today...and work completely different another day. As an aside to the storing a single copy thought...this would likely be perceived as VOD if done. Services like Startover work similarly to VOD, and thus do not allow FFWD capability.

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 06-30-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

I'll be honest - I read what you wrote, but I have no idea what you're saying.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, it isn't nearly as easy as it might seem. What you're suggesting would require inclusion into standards (and some proprietary) interface syntax, as well as require data collection that isn't currently collected (careful not to lump things like Nielsen ratings into thinking this is tracked). Even if the standards part were easy enough to change in 5 minutes...you'd then need a multitude of vendors to upgrade and adapt their products + time to implement. Just isn't nearly pressing enough to bother.

It is actually "easier" to just store more versions...at the end of the day. Things change too fast in this business to go through the hassle of redefining all of the interfaces (and subsequent standards) to be slightly more efficient at storing...when storage is not deemed to be a pressing issue. Might be someday...but it's not even visible in the rear view mirror.

Maybe because I'm in the storage field.. but I don't really think that storage is the issue, per se:

A HD movie goes about 4-10 GB in size. I know my company makes storage solutionss that can store 1 PETABYTE (1,000 Terabytes, or 1,000,000 GB). Is it going to be cheap? No. But is it (eventually) going to be cheaper then working with set-top boxes with HD and dealing with service, etcetera? oh hell yes.

Also: Think of the treasure trove of marketing data about the users this provides the cable companies.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #36
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Also: Think of the treasure trove of marketing data about the users this provides the cable companies.

Shhhh....we're trying to sneak that by you. You're right about the storage...that's the concept...cheaper to make larger arrays than to make millions of small ones.

I should disclose that I am an engineer in the CATV/IPTV industry. I am pretty familiar with nearly every major CATV or IPTV/Telco company and how they deliver content. I don't want to come off as a cheerleader for the companies, but I am pretty enthusiastic about the industry and technologies.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #37
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I'll be honest - I read what you wrote, but I have no idea what you're saying.

Really? I thought it was fairly high level. No wonder I dont get much face time with the Execs.

Short answer...lots of companies make products involved with delivering N-DVR and similar technologies. They use "standards" to define how they interface and what information these interfaces share with each other. Since they don't currently support this, it would require substantial time and effort to do so.

I think there might be a misconception that CATV/IPTV companies develop much of their own equipment. While they help to define it...they dont typically build it or have complete control of it (namely the costs).
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #38
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I should disclose that I am an engineer in the CATV/IPTV industry. I am pretty familiar with nearly every major CATV or IPTV/Telco company and how they deliver content. I don't want to come off as a cheerleader for the companies, but I am pretty enthusiastic about the industry and technologies.

Heh, an ally for our local TWC rep here at FOFC.

CATV always talks about great tech, but I'm stuck with Navigator (which took TWO FREAKIN' YEARS to get stable) and a high-speed internet connection that grossly lags behind Verizon FIOS let alone what the rest of the free world (or Wilson, NC) can get. You've got a lot of talking here to convince me there is great tech in the US CATV industry...
Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

While the story says the first trials of this technology will be out later this year.. I think that it'll be.. say.. 5-7 years before it really gets to the level of present-day Tivos. look how far back current cableco Hard Drive DVR's are, compared to Tivos.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #40
Huckleberry
College Starter

Okay, so I'm about to blow millions of dollars for myself with the greatest advertising idea of the modern era.

But why haven't companies come up with a new form of ad I'll call a "DVR Billboard Ad"? Basically the commercial consists of 30 seconds of a single (eye-catching and relevant) still image with audio advertising accompanying the image. Viewers that are fast-forwarding through the commercials will see the image long enough for it to make an impression or at least be noticed. And those that aren't watching it on DVR will see the image and hear the advertising audio. Seems like a relatively decent idea to me, of course. Not that you'd want all your commercials to be like this. Just some of them on shows that are heavily DVRed by the population.

And imagine a commercial break where you're the first company to roll this out. Hundreds of images flash on the screen and then your commercial comes on and it's a steady image for a second or two (may need to buy a minute-long commercial for the super fast-forwarders).

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 06-30-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #41
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Another advantage is the fact that you may not need a Settop Box (STB) in the future as well...if the Consumer electronics association can get their act together and create an interfacing capable HDTV that starts at
$1000. Some may not care about this...but it is important to many consumers (myself included). I can tell you CATV co's do not like purchasing STB's either...it's a win-win on that front.

What happened to CableCard then?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #42
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Services like Startover work similarly to VOD, and thus do not allow FFWD capability.
Even on VOD FFWD and RWD suck.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #43
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

CATV always talks about great tech, but I'm stuck with Navigator (which took TWO FREAKIN' YEARS to get stable) and a high-speed internet connection that grossly lags behind Verizon FIOS let alone what the rest of the free world (or Wilson, NC) can get. You've got a lot of talking here to convince me there is great tech in the US CATV industry...

Do you still hate Navigator? I mean...when you (try to) ignore the past 2 years...does it function acceptably today? That was launched way too early...no doubt.

As far as data speeds...the rest of the world (primarily) uses the same products and technologies used in the US. The differences are primarily geographic and the transport costs and scalability. I think I've put out some of the reasons before in another thread, but it certainly isn't because we lack the knowledge or anything. Comes down to the same reasons everything gets done or doesnt get done...costs vs. benefit. These are businesses at the end of the day.

Remember when Verizon was just a protectionist phone company with crappy DSL? Things change pretty quickly when there is competition...and for people in the industry this is desirable as well (unless you are the CEO I suppose). Verizon is rolling out fiber to the home, but so will cable at some point. It's just a commitment of cost that is difficult to justify for cable ops. Quite the opposite for Vz due to being nearly obsoleted on landline business...so they had no choice.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #44
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Maybe because I'm in the storage field.. but I don't really think that storage is the issue, per se:

A HD movie goes about 4-10 GB in size. I know my company makes storage solutionss that can store 1 PETABYTE (1,000 Terabytes, or 1,000,000 GB). Is it going to be cheap? No. But is it (eventually) going to be cheaper then working with set-top boxes with HD and dealing with service, etcetera? oh hell yes.

Cable companies already have various storage solutions in their headends and I'm sure that extra storage is significantly less expensive then more DVR STB (set top boxes). I've never seen the service work, just read about it many times, but as long as they can get over the hurdle that I still see with VOD (slow response times on button presses) then this stuff will be sweet.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #45
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

:P Steve knows more about the nuts and bolts then me. I understand how the thing works but he's much more an engineer then I'll ever be!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #46
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

television is just one more medium for advertisers. if tv ad revenue begins to drop, they will take advantage of other technologies to market to us. i think we'll see more kiosks, trucks driving around with digital billboards, and the like. they will find a way to get their message out, even if they have to program robots to come to your door with free samples.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #47
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

Ask the CEA...it was their idea to only support one-way connectivity in Cablecard 1.0...in all their forward thinking greatness. Or maybe that was the plan...buy multiple TVs over time?

Consumer electronics companies can rollout TVs today on nearly all cable systems (including Verizon FIOS TV, which is technically considered CATV by the FCC). There are open standards in place that will tell you what interfaces to use, how to communicate with the cable system, etc. They just havent built them yet...or at least not at a reasonable price point.

You can use cablecard 1.0 still...but with interactive services like VOD, SDV, etc. it just becomes substandard. Cablecard 2.0 is out and they are free to develop away. Panasonic is at the forefront right now from my understanding, but I'm not certain what their pricepoint is looking like.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #48
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Well in the foreseeable future CableCards are supposed to be the big thing especially with the pending start of tru2way.

And by start I mean, products are supposed to be coming to market finally. IN fact it's supposed to be tomorrow.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-30-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean.. if the user has to "choose to record" the show I guess it's not EXACTLY VoD. Even if on the back-end they're sharing one file amongst multiple users. I can think of ways around the legal mumbo-jumbo of it to show that it's no different than if they stored that same file in many different places.

Exactly. It may be a thin line, but cable companies have not skirted it in this aspect.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #50
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

SteveMax -- I don't really agree with what you're saying. Nielsen, etc don't matter in Wade's example. You go based on subscriptions. You have CONCRETE data as to how many of your customers want a copy of your show. You record what shows they want to see, and not the ones they don't want to see.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote