Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
TLK
Pro Starter

How about them Tigers.....

I'm trying really hard to get into baseball this year, but when you're a fan of the Tigers it's hard....

Quote:
Detroit's debut series under its latest manager showcased its offensive struggles. The Tigers managed just two runs and 10 hits in the series, and have lost 12 straight to the Twins.

Just pathetic. How much does it suck to know your seasons over three games into the season......

C-Walbeck .000
1B- Pena .000
2B- Halter .250 (only 4 AB's)
3B- Munson .111
SS- Infante .182 (Team leading .182 )
LF- Paquette .000
CF- Bocachica .000
RF- Higginson .091
DH- Young .091
C-Inge .167
2B-Santiago .167
DH- Palmer .167
CF-Kingsdale .125

TLK

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. Their pitching has been much of a help either from what I understand.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:14 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Whatever happened to that cocky, SOB catcher ya'll got from the Astros a couple of years ago. I know he got hurt, but was it serious enough to end his career? Cause that kid certainly could swing a bat...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Re: How about them Tigers.....

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLionKing
Just pathetic. How much does it suck to know your seasons over three games into the season......

It took you that long to realize the season was over? Hell, I already realize the 2005 season is almost over.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

You have to love teams that have their spirits crushed the first week of the season. Who had the bright idea to schedule the Jays against the Yankees in their opening series? Nothing like getting stomped three straight at home to crush any optimism in Toronto.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Whatever happened to that cocky, SOB catcher ya'll got from the Astros a couple of years ago. I know he got hurt, but was it serious enough to end his career? Cause that kid certainly could swing a bat...

I believe you're referring to Mitch Meluskey. Apparently, the A's signed him to a minor league contract but he barely got any work in this spring as he is just finishing up rehab. He's in their system now. At least according to espn's fantasy site.

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD

...In one of the 42 Astros/Tigers trades during the 90's that worked out so well for the Tigers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:02 PM   #8
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I thought he meant Brad Ausmus.

I am headed to Comerica in July - to see Royals/Tigers - can't wait.

Also hitting Baltimore/Cinci/Cleveland on the way.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
I am headed to Comerica in July - to see Royals/Tigers - can't wait.

Enjoy the game, you should have the CoPa all to yourself
Old 04-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #10
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Enjoy the game, you should have the CoPa all to yourself

After spending almost all of next week in Yankee Stadium it will be a welcome change.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:18 PM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Hey at least they have more than 30 get to be against the Royals or Tigers. And the White Sox aren't as good as the Twins.

Though I must say, it is good to see the Twins bitch slap some team for their openning series.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Royals bitch slapped the White Sox for three games. People around here are happy for now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:43 PM   #13
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

The Tigers had 1 walk in 3 games. That is a quality showing. Mind you I still checked the updates of their game at 2pm to see how things were going. At least Tiger fans like their manager this year, that is an improvement over the last several seasons.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Not hating the manager is a start. It really helped Viking fans up here when they finally got rid of Denny Green.

Though the Twins have showed all the teams that are down in the dumps that there is hope. Sure, all franchises can't be as perfect as the Twins are now, but at least fans can have hope
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:00 PM   #15
tucker342
Pro Starter

when the top batting average on the team is .182, you know it's a bad sign..... Ouch
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:06 PM   #16
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Hey the Tigers lost to the Twins and at least the Twins are a playoff team. Nothing says fun like dropping your first 3 in a brand new ballpark to the mighty Pirates
Old 04-03-2003, 11:39 PM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
I thought he meant Brad Ausmus.

Nah, I meant Melusky, the punk. I know where Ausmus is (right where he belongs, catching Oswalt and Miller). If Melusky can ever get his attitude under control, he could be a really good player. I remember a couple of years ago when he got into it with Bidge and Bags during batting practice. What an ass...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:33 AM   #18
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Randy smith was probably the most idiotic front-office person ever. McHale was up there too. Glad the Tigers had them both at the same time.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:35 AM   #19
PilotMan
Head Coach

Tigers just ate a 14 million dollar salary by releasing Damien Easley. The most ever that a team has paid in salary to release a player.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:43 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Look on the bright side, at least they got pummeled by a potential playoff team. The Braves just got man-handled by the EXPOS.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-04-2003, 07:45 AM   #21
Easy Mac

Hey.... ummmm... nevermind

actually, the Expos finished 2nd in the east last year, and have pretty much their same, young team back this year.

And WTF are the Cubs on ESPN every single day? They have their own GD station for cying out loud, and its a national station. They've been on each day they've had a game, sometimes on 2 stations? Show me a worthwhile game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:49 AM   #22
Ksyrup

The Expos aren't a contender, though. Between giving Colon away and having to play in PR a portion of the year, they'll eventually fall back to earth. It would be a huge surprise to see them contending in August.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:51 AM   #23
Ksyrup

I think the Cubs have been on because (a) they were playing a NY team, and (b) they have early afternoon games. ESPN will occasionally show Wedensday or Thursday afternoon games, and typically, the Cubs are one of the few teams that play at 1pm on week days. Plus, they are a contender, much moreso than the Expos. I don't mind seeing that pitching staff day after day.

And of cours,e they want to catch Sosa's 500th HR in the act. That might be the primary reason they've been on so much this week.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:06 AM   #24
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I think the Cubs have been on because (a) they were playing a NY team, and (b) they have early afternoon games. ESPN will occasionally show Wedensday or Thursday afternoon games, and typically, the Cubs are one of the few teams that play at 1pm on week days. Plus, they are a contender, much moreso than the Expos. I don't mind seeing that pitching staff day after day.

And of cours,e they want to catch Sosa's 500th HR in the act. That might be the primary reason they've been on so much this week.

I don't think that you need to look further than the 3rd-largest market playing the largest market.

There's nobody watching on the Expo side of a Braves-Expos tilt-- not to mention that Atlanta is significantly smaller than Chicago.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:24 AM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So long as the Tigers sign another linebacker in free agency and draft Charles Rogers with the #2 pick over... Oh, wait. Sorry, confused my beloved, sad-sack sports franchises there. The Tigers just have to grin and bear it for a little while.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #26
Ksyrup

Who is their pitching coach? To ride the 1984 theme, I think they need to add Willie Hernandez or Senor Smoke to the coaching staff. Where's Tom Brookens when you need him? Hell, bring back John Hiller and Jack Billingham as well!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:50 AM   #27
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Who is their pitching coach?

Bob Cluck and the Chickens. Seriously.

It hurts to watch the Tigers, but I'll always support them through thick and the very abundant thin.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:54 AM   #28
Ksyrup

I'm originally from Detroit and will always root for them as well. We left Detroit in 1981, and I remember my grandfather complaining about how bad the Tigers were and how long it had been since 1968. And then 1984 happened, of course. A few days ago, I realized that it's now been 19 years since 1984. And that it only took 16 (long) years to get from 1968 to 1984. Now THAT's depressing!
Old 04-04-2003, 09:09 AM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Where have you gone, Tony Clark?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:51 PM   #30
TLK
Pro Starter

Tigers lost today..... 5-2...... They managed to get 3 hits and Infante went 1 for 4 to raise his average to a team leading .200...... Just sad.....

TLK
Old 04-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #31
tucker342
Pro Starter

.200! Wow!!! They're on a roll
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:07 PM   #32
Ksyrup

They're a team of Mendoza wannabees!
Old 04-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #33
TLK
Pro Starter

Good News: They only lost by 7 today

Bad News: They scored not once and only managed three hits......

For those scoring at home......

Infante .167 (0 for 3 today)
Munson .214 (1 for 3 today) -Congrats on having the hghest BA on the team-
Kingsdale .143 (1 for 3 today)
--------
Everybody else is below .100 or doesn't have enough AB's to qualify

GO TIGERS.....

TLK

Last edited by TLK : 04-05-2003 at 03:59 PM.