Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Canada Boos peewee hockey players

Oh Canada!

That will teach those 11 year old capitalist pigs!

I am not sure about the validity of the source though.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 04-03-2003 at 02:04 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Re: Canada Boos peewee hockey players

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Oh Canada!

That will teach those 11 year old capitalist pigs!

I am not sure about the validity of the source though.

It must have something to do with the French that live there.

Tarkus
Old 04-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This did apparently happen. It's been in all the papers up here.

As twisted as it sounds, the more anti-American they get in Quebec, the more support you guys can expect from english Canada.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If this is true, I, as a 17 year old hockey player, am pissed. It has to be a joke though, it's gotta' be.

Doing this to 11 and 12 years olds would be beyond pathetic. I cannot comprehend it.

If it's true, FUCK those people. They're hypocritical asses. If 9/11 happened in Canada, they'd want revenge, too bad they'd need our help, and if I were president I'd be like a mormon on prom night with a big neon sign that reads, "ACCESS DENIED"
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:14 PM   #5
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Unfortunately, it's probably true. Just so you know, Canada doesn't really consider Quebec part of Canada anyway. You'd be hard pressed to find that kind of stupid hostility out here in the west.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Sounds to me like the Queen of England needs to crack down on some of her North American subjects...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Hehe, since when did we even care what Canada thinks? Just keep sending down the Molson and we have no problems with you fellas.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
DiG
n00b

I'm not surprised by that at all. It's quite trendy around here to be anti-american and anti-war, and some may be well informed (or are well informed), but I think that those 11 or 12 years old, or any other I can see on the bus or in the street sporting statements such as "Fuck Bush" are just following what's hip.

BTW, I'm not for the war, but that's just my instincts, probably formed by my cultural background. I don't feel I've gathered enough information on the subject to take a formal stand.
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
If this is true, I, as a 17 year old hockey player, am pissed. It has to be a joke though, it's gotta' be.

Doing this to 11 and 12 years olds would be beyond pathetic. I cannot comprehend it.

If it's true, FUCK those people. They're hypocritical asses. If 9/11 happened in Canada, they'd want revenge, too bad they'd need our help, and if I were president I'd be like a mormon on prom night with a big neon sign that reads, "ACCESS DENIED"

Ya...and FUCK anyone else that does'nt agree with what we do.

Everything we do is correct and NO ONE shall ever think that what we are doing is wrong...

Right Saddam?

Canada...as well as the USA has a simple rule...it's called free speech.We may not agree with some peoples opinions or how they go about expressing their opinions,but none the less they are free to express those opinions,unless they live in Iraq.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

bbor, All of Canada and the US can agree on one thing........

The St. Louis Blues Suck.

Sigh....it is just not as fun without Double A around anymore.

Old 04-03-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
If 9/11 happened in Canada, they'd want revenge, too bad they'd need our help, and if I were president I'd be like a mormon on prom night with a big neon sign that reads, "ACCESS DENIED"

Well chances are we wouldn't even want revenge, we'd just send Bin Laden a sternly worded e-mail requesting he not do it again

On the other hand, if we did want revenge I'm sure we could live without the US' help if we had to. We do have the other 99% of the industrial world as allies you know.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo
Well chances are we wouldn't even want revenge, we'd just send Bin Laden a sternly worded e-mail requesting he not do it again

On the other hand, if we did want revenge I'm sure we could live without the US' help if we had to. We do have the other 99% of the industrial world as allies you know.

I wonder how long it would take the rest of the industrial world to mobilize their "military forces" to defend the honor of the fine upstanding colony of Canada.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #13
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Everything we do is correct and NO ONE shall ever think that what we are doing is wrong...

Right Saddam?

Canada...as well as the USA has a simple rule...it's called free speech.We may not agree with some peoples opinions or how they go about expressing their opinions,but none the less they are free to express those opinions,unless they live in Iraq.

So you're condoning people BOOING 11 and 12 year olds because they happen to be from the US.

No one here said they didn't have a free speech right to do it. They just said that it is inane, childish, and rude. And I agree. If you think it's right to boo children, then you're an idiot.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:49 PM   #14
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I wonder how long it would take the rest of the industrial world to mobilize their "military forces" to defend the honor of the fine upstanding colony of Canada.

I'm not sure about our allies, but it wouldn't take Canada more than a week to get both our boats to the same harbor and truck our 35 infantry into location.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-03-2003, 03:50 PM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
So you're condoning people BOOING 11 and 12 year olds because they happen to be from the US.

No one here said they didn't have a free speech right to do it. They just said that it is inane, childish, and rude. And I agree. If you think it's right to boo children, then you're an idiot.

Shit, a 12 year old should be so lucky if the worst thing someone yells at him during a hockey game is "boo". His own frickin' parents probably say worse.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:01 PM   #16
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo

Hmmmm. What a dilemma for the French!!!! Stand up for the French Canandians!!! Oh, wait. That'd mean we'd have to fight. Ummm. Never mind. Canada is mostly English speaking anyway, eh?
Old 04-03-2003, 04:21 PM   #17
Canadian Football Guy
n00b

Don't take the actions of a few people to represent an entire country. There have been growing rallys in support of the United States right across the country to show some balance against the anti war protestors.The anthem has received cheers and ovations at games right across the country (Montreal too, I was there) since those few idiots embarrased the whole country.

Just because we do not agree with the United States and Britain about the way the war started does not mean that they are not our allies or friends. Do you agree with every opinion that your friends have? Of course not.

Canada has been a staunch supporter of the UN ever since it's exception and always will be. We will I am sure always try to solve issues through the UN and if war is required than also receive that support from that organization, that is what it is there for and that is what it is supposed to do.

Canadians will always be a friend to the US and always will be like we were on Sept. 11 and after that in Afghanistan. If it is a just cause and is sanctioned by teh UN, we will be there.

Here is to hoping this war ends soon and all the services people there, American, British and Canadian (33 Canadian Forces personell serving exchanges with deployed US and British units).
Old 04-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #18
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Football Guy
Don't take the actions of a few people to represent an entire country.

Agreed! There's far too much of that kind of thing going on around here.

Recently there have been enough despicable acts and attitudes toward one another on both sides of the U.S./Canadian border to go around. Let's not increase the load any further.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:12 PM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

If there is anythign I've learned from playing against French Canadians in online games, it's that French Canadians are douchebags.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #20
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Right Saddam?

True......

But is it necessary for them to boo a peewee hockey team?

Quote:
Recently there have been enough despicable acts and attitudes toward one another on both sides of the U.S./Canadian border to go around. Let's not increase the load any further.

Can't we all just get along?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #21
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

If this is true then something must be done about it, perhaps sanctions.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:58 PM   #22
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

It must make these people feel manly for booing 11 and 12 year olds.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:06 PM   #23
Mota
College Benchwarmer

If you disagree with the US government's actions that's fine, but taking it out on little kids isn't going to help anybody.

Kinda like booing the opponent's national anthem at sporting events... show a little respect!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:13 PM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit

As i said,i don't agree how they are doing it.....i just agree that they have a right to do it.

Which means i am NOT condoning how they are doing it.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:51 PM   #25
Easy Mac

They're booing the anthem, not the kids, a slight difference.

Personally, I've been to games where 11 and 12 year old kids were booed for their play, to me that is far me damaging to the childs psyche than listening to a bunch of drunk mounties booing our song.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #26
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
If there is anythign I've learned from playing against French Canadians in online games, it's that French Canadians are douchebags.

As with everything else about the war and everything in life in general, I'm asking my friends around here not to generalize. I'm French Canadian, proud to be one (see my nickname), even though I'm often ashamed of most of what they are doing and/or saying regarding the war right now. That being said, I don't like this war but I support the Americans in their actions.

Booing the national anthem at the Canadiens' game a few weeks back was unacceptable to me, doing it at a PeeWee game is even more unacceptable.

I've been involved in hockey games as a referee in the past, especially in the Quebec City International PeeWee tournament (players from around the world, 13K people in the stands for the championship game). One thing I'll always remember is the annoucer always reminding the crowd that "We don't boo PeeWee players, we cheer them for their effort"... This should have applied to that tournament also, but sometimes people are simply stupid like that...

FrogMan
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #27
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For Don Cherry, apparently not all speech is free.

The Toronto Globe and Mail reported Friday that the Web site for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation officially removed a controversial video clip from Coach's Corner on March 22, when Cherry and host Ron MacLean squared off in a heated war debate.

Coach's Corner, an in-between-period segment that airs during the CBC's Hockey Night in Canada broadcast, went from hockey talk to war talk, when the outspoken Cherry criticized Montreal fans who booed the U.S. anthem before a game vs. the New York Islanders. Cherry then took a strong pro-war, pro-American position, while MacLean expressed his anti-war sentiments. A heated seven-minute argument followed.

During the debate, Cherry apologized on behalf of Canadians, saying that "years of pride went down the drain" with the Canadiens fans' behavior.

Cherry, who wore a tie embodying U.S. colors, also went at it with MacLean over the war in Iraq, chiding the Canadian government for its "lack of support to our American friends."

"I hate to see them go it alone," Cherry said during the broadcast. "These guys are over there, they're over there giving it all ... we're just riding their coattails."

MacLean stood firm that it was Canada's right not to go.

"Why attack Iraq if they haven't attacked you?" MacLean said.

The CBC was flooded with more than 1,500 calls and e-mails after the segment, many of them denouncing Cherry's position. The pair was told by CBC brass that the discussion wasn't appropriate, but neither was disciplined.

According to the Globe and Mail's report, some CBC staffers were upset over what they call the network's suppression of information after the network's online department was told a few days ago to erase the exchange between MacLean and Cherry.

The CBC provides a web inventory of all the Coach's Corner shows. But now, one show will be missing.

"The on-line staff were told to take it down," a source close to the network told the newspaper. "They weren't given a reason."

Said a CBC source, "I thought we were supposed to provide information. Coach's Corner might have been the wrong forum for Cherry's comments, but it's still censorship to some extent."

The CBC says otherwise.

"We thought that because Ron and Don are sports commentators and not political commentators there was no reason to put it anywhere else," CBC spokesperson Ruth-Ellen Soles told the Globe and Mail.

But the fact that neither MacLean nor Cherry were disciplined for their exchange seemed to irk others within the news organization.

"If a CBC reporter had gone on the radio, disparaged French Canadians and then said the CBC was run by the government, he would have been fired or at least suspended," a CBC employee told the Globe and Mail. "This speaks to Cherry's power as Hockey Night's cash cow and also the double standard at the network."

Cherry later spoke about the events in a radio interview on the Jim Rome Show.

"You have to realize the CBC is government owned," Cherry said on the program, which is broadcast throughout the United States and Canada. "You have to say the government was against it (the war) and I'm for it and I'm on a government program. I really thought this could be the end."

He added that his pro-American stance brings praise from "ordinary" Canadians but criticism from the media.

"Our media up here is totally left wing," he said. "It's socialist, left wing, pinko, commies. I got ripped to shreds in the left-wing media. That's the chance you take. I don't regret it and If I had to I'd do it over again.

"The true Canadians do not feel the way they do in Quebec there," he added. "Believe me, the majority of the people in Canada love the United States. We know you'd be there to help us and don't think too bad of us.

"It's just a damn shame (Canadiens fans) had to boo the Star Spangled Banner in Quebec," Cherry said on the radio program. "You have to realize it's Quebec and it's French Canadians."

The talk on Coach's Corner turned back to hockey last weekend, and the exchange hasn't hampered MacLean's views of his TV segment partner.

"That's Grapes. He wears his heart on his sleeve," MacLean told the newspaper. "In our medium, it's so tricky nowadays to discern what is sincere. It's the old Dick Schaap line: 'The key to television is sincerity and once you can fake that, you've got it made.' Don is closer to sincerity than most of us ever get. That's admirable, and I'd hate to see that shot down."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote