Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Roguelike Comp #4 - Possession is 9/10ths of the law

Alright, bit of a hiatus there, but we're back in business.

For this comp, I wanted to try out a character I've thought about but never run: a T.O.M.E. possessor. The basic premise is what you'd expect from the name, they kill monsters, inhabit their bodies, and use those bodies to kill other monsters. Depending on the type of monster you inhabit, you could have strong physical attacks, magic powers, or summoning abilities to help you out. In Lord Dimwit's strategy guide (link is in the #3 competition page), he provides some info regarding possessors and tips to watch for. If I get time I'll try to post some of it here. I haven't decided on a race yet nor a winning condition and I'll be gone most of the weekend, but I will try to get the character file created and all the relevant details posted this upcoming Monday.

Previous comps:

#3 --- Roguelike Comp #3: Spellunking - Character File Now Attached - Front Office Football Central

#2 --- Roguelike Comp #2: The Ord of the Ings variant - Front Office Football Central

#1 --- Roguelike Comp #1-And Chaos Ensued - Front Office Football Central

EDIT: See post 8 for the character file

Last edited by JAG : 07-03-2009 at 07:22 AM.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I tried to upload the character file this morning, but I had the same problem I had the first time around when I did this. I created the zip file but when I go to attach it, it doesn't appear to be in the file location I created it. Same if I use Windows Explorer to search that directory. But if I have the 7zip thing open, it does indeed see the zip file there. I remember I figured it out the first time around, but I wasn't able to figure out the solution again this morning. I'll take another run at it tonight and post the character file this evening if I can figure it out again.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I tried but couldn't sort it out. If someone figures it out and wants to post a half-ogre possessor worshiping Manwe w/33 random quests, then go for it. Winning condition will be highest level, tie-breaker is # of quests completed.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Malificent
High School JV

I'm overloaded at the moment, so I'm going to have to skip this one. Looking forward to jumping back into the fray in a few weeks though.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

I will try to get a file for this JAG
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

Okay I've created a character, named Jagger after our latest winner. I created a file for him through the character screen which appears to be Jagger.txt in the lib\user file. Is this the file you need and what other file might you need?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Okay I've created a character, named Jagger after our latest winner. I created a file for him through the character screen which appears to be Jagger.txt in the lib\user file. Is this the file you need and what other file might you need?

I think it's the .svg file in the user directory along with the global.svg file. The board won't let you upload those files by themselves though, they have to be zipped and uploaded. That was what I couldn't figure out how to properly do. Thanks for taking it on.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Thomkal
Head Coach

Okay JAG,

I've tried to upload two files in the zip here, global and possess, which is just the name for the character I created when it asks for a name when you create a new character. See if that works for us and the character is what you wanted.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jagger.zip (52.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-02-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry for the delay, I'm on vacation so I'm not online as much. I downloaded both files to the save directory, asked to load a save file and selected Possess, and it worked.

Important tip #1: the command m-b-i will let you leave your current body and also inhabit a corpse. But make sure you are in a safe spot when you do it because when you leave a body you have 1 hp.

Important tip #2: Adding to 'corpse preservation' skill will give more of a chance of getting a monster's body when it dies. Adding to your possession skill gives you more hps in the body you inhabit (I can't remember if it does anything else). Weaponmastery and Combat improve your combat abilities in bodies you occupy.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

And we'll say the competition will run until Thursday July 16th at 11:59pm.

Last edited by JAG : 07-03-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

so I start up the character and do my usual routine of buying stuff at the various stores. I'm in the armor store and not playing attention to the buttons I'm hitting when I try to buy a hard leather cap and end up trying to steal it...and get kicked out of the store. Thankfully there are other towns or I may have just restarted right there. D'oh!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

hey JAG any suggestions for our first possession target? Never played one before. Been killed off a couple times now, but got a guy up to 6th level and soon to be facing Mughash, the Kobold Lord on Lvl 2, so may be starting another one soon enough.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Thomkal
Head Coach

Managed to outlast Mughash thanks to judicious use of potion of heroism, cure serious wounds, and scrolls of holy chant and phase door. Had hoped to improve my weapon from a +5, +4 Dagger, but a Broad Sword of Slay Troll (+2, +1) wasn't what I had in mind. Level 8 now and I can finally get past 100'
Old 07-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
hey JAG any suggestions for our first possession target? Never played one before. Been killed off a couple times now, but got a guy up to 6th level and soon to be facing Mughash, the Kobold Lord on Lvl 2, so may be starting another one soon enough.

Never played one either. All I have to go on is this blurb from Lord Dimwit's guide:

Quote:
Bodies I like to possess:

* Lizard King / Cyclops in early game--gives good speed and HP
* Young dragons in early game--you can snag these from the mountains and kill more powerful creatures with their breath attacks
* Minotaur of the Labyrinth / Durin's Bane in middle game--nice resistances, great speed, Durin's Bane has some cool spells

Not very helpful for just starting out. One thing about different bodies is that some give different armor / weapon slots. For example, I think dragon bodies don't get cloaks, body armor, or light sources, but get something like 6 ring slots and some other cool stuff. Otherwise I don't much as I've never tried this type of character.

Also, important safety tip:

Quote:
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!! If you try to use one of your body's spells when you don't have the mana to do so, the game won't give you any warning, but will instead just boot you out of the body. The body will then vanish. This means almost CERTAIN DEATH for you. ALWAYS keep an eye on your mana when using Possessor spells!! */ If you're using a cursed item at the time that the aforementioned booting happens, you won't be kicked out, but will suffer a "system shock" that almost kills you, so it's still not all right to do /*

I'll probably start up a character tonight.