Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

DC Metro Crash

Anyone watching this? I can't find a map (The Metro website is hanging), I'm trying to figure out what the Red line is (which direction).

Live feed from FOX Channel in area. Live Video Streaming of WTTG FOX 5 Newscasts on myfoxdc

I think it is sort of interesting the wording on the Metro Website. Metro - Rider Tools - Metro Service Status - Rail

Quote:
Disruption system-wide. Customers traveling or connecting to the Red Line, due to significant Red Line delays, customers are encouraged to add an additional 30 minutes to their travel times.
red line icon Red Line

Disruption at Fort Totten. Trains are turning back at Rhode Island Ave & Silver Spring due to a train experiencing mechanical difficulties outside of Ft. Totten. Shuttle service has been established.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-22-2009 at 05:51 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

File:WMATA system map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia should give you an idea of where the line is.

Basically, both ends are in Montgomery County and it U's down into DC.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Also File:2030forwmatalarge.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but ignore the gray line that goes to DC. That's a proposed thing.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

Yeah I found it after I posted this. I was trying to figure out if it was the line I took when I was in DC a number of years back. But I was coming from the South (Herndon).
Old 06-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Also File:2030forwmatalarge.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but ignore the gray line that goes to DC. That's a proposed thing.

I'd rather not -- that would have been muy helpful last weekend. Instead, we had to take a hotel shuttle to Herndon-Monroe, and a bus from there to WFC.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I'd rather not -- that would have been muy helpful last weekend. Instead, we had to take a hotel shuttle to Herndon-Monroe, and a bus from there to WFC.

I stayed at the Embassy Suites they shuttled me to the Park and Ride, then I took the bus to the Metro station and went to DC, I only was able to run around DC for about 3 hours.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Where did you stay?

I'd love it if the "silver" line comes but it's not happening any time soon if ever. I almost always drive into WFC and then either stay on orange or switch off to red. When I lived in College Park, I frequented the green and red lines.

/tk
Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

As I opened this thread a news clip popped up on TV and showed the crash. Crazy.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

I honestly can't believe this still happens. With all the technology in the world, we can't stop 2 things on a fixed track from crashing into each other? Planes have autopilot that saves them in almost every situation but an absolutely catastrophic one and we can't put a sensor on the tracks or the trains that says "oh shit, there's another train x meters/miles ahead, slam on the brakes"?

I'm sure I'm coming from a position of ignorance, but it just seems kinda... easy
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'm sure this has to be similar to the LA crash, where the operator was texting. Bhlloy is right though, that there needs to be a better system in place where someone, somewhere says "HEY!"

As horrific as this is, and not to slight the loss of life, but if anybody wants to say that trains are unsafe... remind them that on average, more than 100 people die every day in car crashes.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I honestly can't believe this still happens. With all the technology in the world, we can't stop 2 things on a fixed track from crashing into each other? Planes have autopilot that saves them in almost every situation but an absolutely catastrophic one and we can't put a sensor on the tracks or the trains that says "oh shit, there's another train x meters/miles ahead, slam on the brakes"?

I'm sure I'm coming from a position of ignorance, but it just seems kinda... easy

There are sensors on the trains to keep this from happening. Obviously, one of the sensors malfunctioned or was not turned on.

I've rode on this line several times. Know right where the collision happened. Terrible stuff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I'm sure this has to be similar to the LA crash, where the operator was texting. Bhlloy is right though, that there needs to be a better system in place where someone, somewhere says "HEY!"

As horrific as this is, and not to slight the loss of life, but if anybody wants to say that trains are unsafe... remind them that on average, more than 100 people die every day in car crashes.

I know that when I'm in DC over this coming weekend, you can bet I'll be on the Metro to get everywhere. It's still the best way to get around.

To the first point, there's still the issue of technology as well as human error. You have a system where humans are still driving the machine so no matter how well you design the system, things can still happen when humans can override that control.

Not only that, but no machine is infallible. You can design something 100% safe in a controlled lab environment but that doesn't mean you can account for everything in the real world. You just can't predict everything that might happen. That's true of pretty much everything in engineering.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

My wife and I drove past the crash shite probably about 15 minutes before it happened.

Quote:

Metro - Home page has a great "trip finder" system that makes it very easy to find your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I know that when I'm in DC over this coming weekend, you can bet I'll be on the Metro to get everywhere. It's still the best way to get around.

To the first point, there's still the issue of technology as well as human error. You have a system where humans are still driving the machine so no matter how well you design the system, things can still happen when humans can override that control.

Not only that, but no machine is infallible. You can design something 100% safe in a controlled lab environment but that doesn't mean you can account for everything in the real world. You just can't predict everything that might happen. That's true of pretty much everything in engineering.

SI

I would argue that the bus is the best way to get around DC, personally. Once you are inside the city limits, at least.

Metro used to have driverless trains. They were driven by a central computer or something. They stopped doing that at some point, I think partially because of how jerky the starts and stops were.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Where did you stay?

Herndon. We were at the Dulles Expo Center for most of the weekend, so we stayed out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet
Metro - Home page has a great "trip finder" system that makes it very easy to find your way.

Yeah, Chicago has the same thing. We just did what the hotel people told us to do, then once we were on the actual Metro, started looking at maps.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

funny thing is. the train that crashed was the one I ride almost every day. Good thing I was driving back from Boston at the time.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
funny thing is. the train that crashed was the one I ride almost every day. Good thing I was driving back from Boston at the time.

I wouldn't really call that "funny", but I'm glad you weren't on it.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

I was on the Yellow Line just after this happened.

We were hearing announcements about how the immediate stations around this were shutdown and shuttle service was being offered, but no explanation as to why. Then as we were getting off at Eisenhower they made an announcement for all Station Managers to put up "MAJOR DELAY" signs.

No explanation as to what was going on, etc. I didn't think much of it until I got back to Williamsburg and heard it on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

We're too busy worrying about terrorists to think that clearly.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
We're too busy worrying about terrorists to think that clearly.

It was sort of morbidly amusing that all the idiots on Twitter were like. "OMG ANOTHER TRAIN CRASH!!!!!"

Like there had been a run on train crashes the past week or something.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Herndon. We were at the Dulles Expo Center for most of the weekend, so we stayed out there.

Yeah, Chicago has the same thing. We just did what the hotel people told us to do, then once we were on the actual Metro, started looking at maps.

Well hell, wish I'd known! I live in Ashburn, just up 28 from the Expo Center.

/tk
Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Well hell, wish I'd known! I live in Ashburn, just up 28 from the Expo Center.

/tk

Doh! I remember from your location that you live in Ashburn, but I didn't even know that was the DC area. I'm pretty well familiar with 28 now, though -- at least that one five-mile stretch of it.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #22
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

And you didnt call me either! im crying pass!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote