Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

US Open Thread

Lots of stories going into this one-the longest par 4 in US Open history (longer than one of the par 5's) the crazy NY fans adding a lot of atmosphere, Tiger going for back to back US Opens, at a place he's already won one at, all the drama with Phil Mickleson's wife and her upcoming battle with cancer...etc. But I'm wondering if they are even going to get the tournament in at this point. Already a lot of rain this month and finally too much for the course to handle today. And more expected throughout the weekend. I wonder how far into next week they would go if they just can't get back on the course these next couple days.

I of course am pulling for Coastal Carolina's own Dustin Johnson, one of the longest hitters on tour which certainly will help at Bethpage, and winner of a rain shortened tournament already this year at a former US Open course, Pebble Beach.

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yep more rain is expected for the weekend, is there anyway the US Open gets cut to 54 holes if somehow they can't finish 72 holes by Monday/Tuesday?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Yep more rain is expected for the weekend, is there anyway the US Open gets cut to 54 holes if somehow they can't finish 72 holes by Monday/Tuesday?

I don't think they've ever shortened the US Open. I think they play 72 holes no matter how long it takes.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I don't think they've ever shortened the US Open. I think they play 72 holes no matter how long it takes.

Yep they interviewed someone tonight on the Golf Channel who said just that-it will be a 72 hole event regardless of how long it takes to play it.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I just looked at the New York weather, has the US Open and the British Open ever been played at the same time before?
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #6
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

The guy is already carrying your bag... would it be too much to ask for you to hold your own umbrella?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

Play has resumed this morning and the guy who set the course up was pleasantly surprised by how well it drained after getting 2 inches of rain on it yesterday. They will have to deal with some embedded balls and casual water in some places though. No or little rain is expected today, however the weekend looks to be a mess. They expect to finish round 1 then start round 2 sometime around 4 pm if the rains hold off.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Play has resumed this morning and the guy who set the course up was pleasantly surprised by how well it drained after getting 2 inches of rain on it yesterday. They will have to deal with some embedded balls and casual water in some places though. No or little rain is expected today, however the weekend looks to be a mess. They expect to finish round 1 then start round 2 sometime around 4 pm if the rains hold off.

This storm system rolled through Missouri earlier this week. At times, I wondered if the rain would ever stop. Got nearly 5 inches in 2 days.

I'm somewhat excited that it's been delayed some. That means I get to watch more golf since they likely will start players on both sides most of this weekend.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Rocco Mediate started good and is -2 so far.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

Phil with a nice long birdie on #8 to get back to -1 and right in the thick of things. Dustin Johnson has been back and forth between Even and +1 all day and currently +1 after 9.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Phil is hitting some good 2nd shots in to the green.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow...good ole Canadian boy Mike Wier -6 through 13.Knowing him though he will miss the cut

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I love the first round of the U.S. Open for many reasons, mostly because you can count on these things happening:

* A complete unknown is at the front of the leader board and will get his life story told in the next 24 hours before vanishing to obscurity by Saturday (Peter Hanson at -4? Come on down!)

* A big name from the past will tantalize everyone that they have the magic to make one more run at a title before running out of gas. At -3, the winner of this year's Tom Watson Award is David Duval.

* Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time players who have great potential will be in the top 10 and make everyone ask if this is year they break through. Please meet Ricky Barnes, Lucas Glover, Adam Scott and Todd Hamilton (sorry, Todd, the British Open doesn't count).

* A journeyman who has never won a major will go low and setup a storybook ending that will crash sometime on the weekend. Poor Rocco Mediate looks like it will be him for a second year in a row.

* A solid pro who can and deserves to win will become the odds-on favorite to win but probably won't. Mike Weir's the guy.

* Tiger will blow up in the first round and make everyone think he's out of it before firing a ridiculously low round on Friday or Saturday and getting right back into it.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 06-19-2009 at 03:34 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I love the first round of the U.S. Open for many reasons, mostly because you can count on these things happening:

* A complete unknown is at the front of the leader board and will get his life story told in the next 24 hours before vanishing to obscurity by Saturday (Peter Hanson at -4? Come on down!)

* A big name from the past will tantalize everyone that they have the magic to make one more run at a title before running out of gas. At -3, the winner of this year's Tom Watson Award is David Duval.

* Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time players who have great potential will be in the top 10 and make everyone ask if this is year they break through. Please meet Ricky Barnes, Lucas Glover, Adam Scott and Todd Hamilton (sorry, Todd, the British Open doesn't count).

* A journeyman who has never won a major will go low and setup a storybook ending that will crash sometime on the weekend. Poor Rocco Mediate looks like it will be him for a second year in a row.

* A solid pro who can and deserves to win will become the odds-on favorite to win but probably won't. Mike Weir's the guy.

* Tiger will blow up in the first round and make everyone think he's out of it before firing a ridiculously low round on Friday or Saturday and getting right back into it.

Awesome and couldn't be more on target. I'd go as far as saying this formula can be used at the Masters as well.

Hopefully, Weir proves you wrong this week :P What an awesome round...64 with a double bogey?!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Golf is the only sport that I root for the front-runner.

I would love to see Tiger get his shit together and take this thing in dramatic fashion. Or Phil.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

This US Open has been a disaster thus far. I haven't checked yet, but if the rain is as bad as it was expected to be this morning then they've effectively eliminated half the field based simply on tee times this weekend. There was a difference of 2 full shots on average between the morning and afternoon tee times yesterday and the same guys that played yesterday morning will be playing in the morning again today.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

They didn't manage to finish Round 2 yesterday, so they're all playing already this morning.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like a huge nasty front will hit the area around noon today and then stall, making it unlikely they will get through today's round, and again bringing bad luck to those who had the bad weather on Thursday and are just teeing off in the second round now.

Dustin Johnson picked up a couple birdies this morning to get back to 1 over after his second round and at least will make the cut.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I love rooting for Phil...his last 4 holes...bogey, double, birdie, birdie...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ricky Barnes is making a mockery of Bethpage
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Reality has to hit him eventually. I have my money on Weir.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #22
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I love rooting for Phil...his last 4 holes...bogey, double, birdie, birdie...

...bogey, bogey sadly.

Dustin Johnson's not doing any good either. Becoming kinda boring with no big names other than Mike Weir close.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Weir has managed to go +3 in the hour since I picked him on here. Maybe I should go post in the Zito reverse mojo thread.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What a tournament. I almost agree with one of the ESPN bloggers, they should've awarded an "A" flight and "B" flight title.

Ricky Barnes is on fire. lol...but at least he's a guy who was supposed to be the golf's next big thing years ago and finally got together.

-10 at a US Open is downright insane. The USGA is gonna burn down Bethpage Black after this thing is over and punish everyone next year with rough on the fairway.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #25
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm not sure that the USGA is going to be THAT irate about the score. -10 has a six shot lead on the field right now. Twelve other golfers are between -4 and -1 with some really favorable conditions for the one half of the field.

We'll see where the scores finish up on Monday, but I'm going to guess that in the end there will only be a half dozen or so players under par. If one golfer shreds the course to the tune of six shots better than the rest of the field then I would think you just tip your cap to him rather than being mad about his low number.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #26
kingfc22
Head Coach

Barnes is starting to misfire...
Old 06-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
What a tournament. I almost agree with one of the ESPN bloggers, they should've awarded an "A" flight and "B" flight title.

Ricky Barnes is on fire. lol...but at least he's a guy who was supposed to be the golf's next big thing years ago and finally got together.

-10 at a US Open is downright insane. The USGA is gonna burn down Bethpage Black after this thing is over and punish everyone next year with rough on the fairway.

The greens at Bethpage aren't the tough part about the course. With all the rain they are real soft and the players are able to go flagstick hunting.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #28
Jas_lov
College Starter

Pretty nice putt there by Phil to end it at -2. Crazy up and down day for him. Hopefully Barnes comes back a couple strokes and Phil is only 5-6 down going into the final round.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah and he was about a turn away from birding #17 too.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

that was an awesome putt by Phil to finish his round. He certainly has a chance tomorrow given who's ahead of him
Old 06-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #31
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

thats the thing with the open, you never know if the leader is going to go out and shoot +6 in the final round.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #32
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Do they have time to change the pin placements between the 3rd and 4th rounds? I would imagine that they starting doing it after the leaders finished playing each hole, but I can't remember ever hearing for sure how/if they do it.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #33
henry296
College Starter

Yes, it doesn't take that long to change the pin positions, only a couple of minute a hole. I think they will be playing golf again around 6 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI.......live feed is up at NBC Sports Live Feed. Just started at 9:00 EDT. Leaders still at -7.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-22-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #35
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Barnes and Glover are falling back to the pack a bit.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #36
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

And Phil is doing...well his best Phil impression
Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #37
Jas_lov
College Starter

Barnes in more trouble.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is quickly becoming a war of attrition.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I haven't seen one this morning but through the course of the tournament has anyone ever seen as many missed two and three footers as there were this week?

Mickelson gets to within four.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #40
Jas_lov
College Starter

Now Tiger is in good position to get within 4 of Glover. Barnes has another tough putt for par at 8, he may bogey 4 in a row.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'll vomit if Tiger wins.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #42
spleen1015
Coordinator

If Tiger gets to -3, he'll at least be in a playoff.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #43
clemsonfan
High School JV

Go Glover Go!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #44
Jas_lov
College Starter

Glover missed a very long par putt at 9. Mickelson within 3 after a great save for par at 10.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 06-22-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #45
Jas_lov
College Starter

Tiger bogeys 15. He needs birdies on the last 3 holes to have a shot.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #46
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Tiger back to even.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #47
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

C'mon Phil!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #48