Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

What was with the "sex offender" sign?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I hope those people step on a thumbtack barefooted in the middle of a Wisconsin winter.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

All white people with all but one looking over 45

at the one guy acting all miss thang when a passerby asked where he was from.

Palin supporters are still as embarrassing as they were in Fall 2008.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't "rape them in the mouth" come from Hamlet 2?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd love to see Letterman stick it to these folks (and Palin) and work with this for the next few weeks.

Let's be honest here: If CBS fires Letterman, he would have another job, probably with a raise, within a week.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, at NBC

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This is what's funny to me. Palin has for some reason singled out David Letterman, but it's not like he's the only one telling Bristol jokes:

"Sarah Palin is going to drop the first puck at the Philadelphia Flyers' hockey game. Then Palin will spend the rest of the game trying to keep the hockey players out of her daughter's penalty box." --Conan O'Brien

"You know, they're watching this interview, this is the first time she's really sat down and talked. Political experts say that during the interview, she did a pretty good job convincing voters that she's qualified. Yeah, Palin says she has plenty of experience, and that her daughter has a little too much experience." --Conan O'Brien

"Governor Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. Oh, boy, you thought John Edwards was in trouble before, now he's really done it!" --Jay Leno

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-17-2009 at 09:09 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

Isn't all the uproar because it was actually her 14-year old that he was technically making fun of?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't think anybody really believes he was making fun of the 14 year old. Sarah Palin has used that as part of her attack so she can imply he's a pedophile, but I seriously doubt even she thinks the joke is about Willow.

Now, it was actually the 14 year old daughter that was at the game referenced in the joke, but the whole point of the joke was based on Bristol Palin getting knocked up.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-17-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think it's idiotic and juvenile how hard people are on Palin and her family, but a rally to fire Letterman because he made a rude, crappy joke? That's even more idiotic.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'd love to see Letterman stick it to these folks (and Palin) and work with this for the next few weeks.

Let's be honest here: If CBS fires Letterman, he would have another job, probably with a raise, within a week.

CBS isn't firing Letterman because 15 mouth breathers with an IQ below 70 protested outside his studio. No one gives a shit about this besides those people and Fox News.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

So did this people actually take off work to do this?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

these people have jobs?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I think it's idiotic and juvenile how hard people are on Palin and her family, but a rally to fire Letterman because he made a rude, crappy joke? That's even more idiotic.

I wonder what the reaction from the media and general public would have been if Letterman had made an off color joke about Michelle Obama or one of her children?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I wonder what the reaction from the media and general public would have been if Letterman had made an off color joke about Michelle Obama or one of her children?

Letterman would have been instantly incinerated by God.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well, first of all, those kids are even younger, and second, none of the Obama children have been knocked up by a hockey player while still in HS. So I suppose the reaction would be a bit different. Probably more confusion than anything else.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #24
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think it's idiotic and juvenile how hard people are on Palin and her family...

She's a public figure. She brought her family into the public spotlight. This isn't 1/10th as bad as the stuff the Clintons suffered through. While I don't even know what the joke was (nor do I care to know), if you parade your family across the stage and make them a big part of your vice presidential campaign, then you're going to have to take it.

It's not like roasting politicians and/or their families is something new. This kind of thing has been going on hundreds, if not, thousands of years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Isn't all the uproar because it was actually her 14-year old that he was technically making fun of?

Technically it was more a jab at A-Rod. I am sure he didn't know which Daughter was at the game, but he was definitely referencing Bristol.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #27
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Well, first of all, those kids are even younger, and second, none of the Obama children have been knocked up by a hockey player while still in HS. So I suppose the reaction would be a bit different. Probably more confusion than anything else.

I see.

As for the top ten list with Palin's "slutty flight attendant" look, I suppose you have some similar rationalization that a top ten list with an inappropriate slur on Michelle Obama would be treated no differently.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #28
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

She doesn't have a slutty flight attendant look?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #29
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
She's a public figure. She brought her family into the public spotlight. This isn't 1/10th as bad as the stuff the Clintons suffered through. While I don't even know what the joke was (nor do I care to know), if you parade your family across the stage and make them a big part of your vice presidential campaign, then you're going to have to take it.

It's not like roasting politicians and/or their families is something new. This kind of thing has been going on hundreds, if not, thousands of years.

Bingo. She tried to use Bristols "mistake" as an example of what girls should do if they did become pregnant. In fact at times she shoved it down our throats, so she really has no right to be upset if people choose to continue to joke about it.

What she really needs to be doing is taking her ass back to Alaska and letting her 15 minutes end gracefully. She spends more time in the lower 48 it seems than her own state, which still has plenty to keep her busy in her "day" job as Governor. Maybe she could start by tackling one of the worst per capita gang problems in the US for instance.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #30
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This kind of thing has been going on hundreds, if not, thousands of years.

That doesn't make it any better, nor does it make the people that participate in it any less sleazy or lame. It's like political tabloid shit. And the worst part is that supposedly/otherwise intelligent people participate in or defend this crap. It makes me almost disregard a lot of their other points because they accept something so irrational.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-17-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #31
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

LOL - East Side Dave from the Ron & Fez show was in that clip
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #32
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That doesn't make it any better, nor does it make the people that participate in it any less sleazy or lame. It's like political tabloid shit. And the worst part is that supposedly/otherwise intelligent people participate in or defend this crap. It makes me almost disregard a lot of their other points because they're accept something so irrational.

I don't think thats the issue. People have the right to say it and people have the right to react to it as they see fit. I choose to ignore shit like this because it is stupid and in the end doesn't affect anyones quality of life.

If I am going to put my time and energy into something it will be something more relevant than a fire Letterman campaign, but if others think that will make the world a better place more power to them. He apologized, move on.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
What she really needs to be doing is taking her ass back to Alaska and letting her 15 minutes end gracefully. She spends more time in the lower 48 it seems than her own state, which still has plenty to keep her busy in her "day" job as Governor. Maybe she could start by tackling one of the worst per capita gang problems in the US for instance.

This is the most annoying/worst part about this whole thing. It's bringing this woman back into the spotlight. She needs to be forgotten. A non-entity. The last thing I want is for her name to remain in the public conscious. She needs to be completely and utterly forgotten. It's the best thing for her, her family, and, most of all, our country and the rest of the free world.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #34
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I see.

As for the top ten list with Palin's "slutty flight attendant" look, I suppose you have some similar rationalization that a top ten list with an inappropriate slur on Michelle Obama would be treated no differently.

It probably would be just a flip flop. The batshit left-wingers would be out protesting, much like the batshit right-ringers did yesterday (or whichever day it took place)
Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #35
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

There's lots of "per capita" stats that Alaska's 700k population skews. Not sure I'd say there's more of a "gang problem" here than in many places in America.

Now, if you accuse us of having the most ugly women per capita, I think you've made a very valid point...
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #36
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I see.

Wasn't she called anti-American throughout the entire campaign? On top of the racist stuff that ignorant people (including members of the GOP) spout even to this day.

I do think the daughter is brought up because Palin has had an abstinence stance. The pregnancy showed how utterly ignorant her stance is and the realistic expectations that teens won't have sex (or that birth control is wrong). She also used her family heavily in campaigning (which everyone does). Unfortunately that exposes them to the public ire as unfortunate as that is. You can't parade your family and their views out in public for political gain and then have a fit when someone questions them.

I think the joke made by Letterman was tasteless. Family really should have no role in any of this. I don't care if it's the Palin kids or the Obama kids. They aren't running for office. But this shit does go on all the time and I think this faux outrage is worse than the slur. People are making fun of them because they are upset at a joke about her daughter, but at the same time calling Letterman's 5-year old son a bastard and his wife a whore. More or less just pointing out the hypocrisy and idiocy of these people. Whoever is advising Palin is a moron.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #37
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I see.

Doesn't really matter. Even Sarah didn't express being upset about being the brunt of a joke. She was pissed because her daughter was. That is, assuming she's being on the level.

Of course, lets not go all hypothetical. We have a real life example of something equally cruel coming from the leader of the Republican Party.

hxxp://www.noseyonline.com/2004/06/not_quite_the_family_dog_eh_ru.php

Quote:
More time travelling...

All that aside, Limbaugh's recent remarks directed at two Sept. 11 widows veer so far off his worn propaganda path that they bypass his "insensitive and inappropriate" statements concerning Donovan McNabb and venture into the realm of another shameful moment in broadcast history -- when he lit into 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton in 1993. "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" Limbaugh said on TV, before holding up a picture of Chelsea.

He never got fired, I don't recall it hurting his career and I certainly recall absolutely ZERO right wing outrage over this. Be very careful before you start playing the hypocrite card because this is a two way steet baybee.

Personally I think both jokes are in bad taste and while maybe, possibly, in some way Willow may have been made to feel that this joke was about her, there's zero doubt in Chelsea's case and she was only 13. I think negatively about both jokes but didn't fly off the handle with either of them and don't think the tellers deserved to be fired or even protested. That's the comedian's fucking job.

There yah go.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #38
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Wasn't she called anti-American throughout the entire campaign? On top of the racist stuff that ignorant people (including members of the GOP) spout even to this day.

I do think the daughter is brought up because Palin has had an abstinence stance. The pregnancy showed how utterly ignorant her stance is and the realistic expectations that teens won't have sex (or that birth control is wrong). She also used her family heavily in campaigning (which everyone does). Unfortunately that exposes them to the public ire as unfortunate as that is. You can't parade your family and their views out in public for political gain and then have a fit when someone questions them.

I think the joke made by Letterman was tasteless. Family really should have no role in any of this. I don't care if it's the Palin kids or the Obama kids. They aren't running for office. But this shit does go on all the time and I think this faux outrage is worse than the slur. People are making fun of them because they are upset at a joke about her daughter, but at the same time calling Letterman's 5-year old son a bastard and his wife a whore. More or less just pointing out the hypocrisy and idiocy of these people. Whoever is advising Palin is a moron.

Calling him a sex offender is pretty poor.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Actually, many right wingers actually believe Limbaugh's assinine excuse that they were supposed to show a picture of a dog and not Chelsea.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #40
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

I agree but I think Palin herself deserves a pass on her reaction. She's a mother and she's not particularly gifted in the PR department. She got her hackles up. I understand her reaction even though to someone not intimately involved it's an overreaction.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #41
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
She doesn't have a slutty flight attendant look?

No.

She has the look of a professional, intelligent woman who loves this country and upholds good, conservative, family values.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #42
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Actually, many right wingers actually believe Limbaugh's assinine excuse that they were supposed to show a picture of a dog and not Chelsea.
I think all of those people were at the fire Dave rally though.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #43
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
I agree but I think Palin herself deserves a pass on her reaction. She's a mother and she's not particularly gifted in the PR department. She got her hackles up. I understand her reaction even though to someone not intimately involved it's an overreaction.

I would understand her reaction if she was upset at jokes being made about Bristol. Even if it is her fault to some degree for putting her daughter in the limelight, picking on family members (especially for something I don't really view as a bad thing, as opposed to say the Bush daughter DUI) is in poor taste. However, Palin couldn't just have that, she had to make this all about Willow, who no one has nor ever will give a shit about, because it makes for a good line of attack where she can basically call Letterman a pedophile. Sure she gets an extended 15 minutes of fame by doing this, but she thrusts another daughter into the spotlight in a situation where it's painfully obvious he was talking about Bristol.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #44
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post

I really think someone pushed her into making this an issue. She did all the rounds on television for some reason. It just came across as faux outrage. Would have been better to make one press release and shown some tougher skin.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #45
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I would understand her reaction if she was upset at jokes being made about Bristol. Even if it is her fault to some degree for putting her daughter in the limelight, picking on family members (especially for something I don't really view as a bad thing, as opposed to say the Bush daughter DUI) is in poor taste. However, Palin couldn't just have that, she had to make this all about Willow, who no one has nor ever will give a shit about, because it makes for a good line of attack where she can basically call Letterman a pedophile. Sure she gets an extended 15 minutes of fame by doing this, but she thrusts another daughter into the spotlight in a situation where it's painfully obvious he was talking about Bristol.

I can certainly see this as a possibility but to be honest I can easily believe that she really did believe it was about Willow at first ( deep thinking not being a strong point and when family is involved, I wouldn't even blame a deep thinker ) and had worked up all kind of mad about it and when she was confronted with reality she didn't care anymore. She didn't get the pitbull in lipstick tag for being all reasonable and frankly, calling for children to be off limits isn't a nonsensical thought. The firing and all that is an overreaction but I don't recall Palin herself calling for anything but an apology. I could so be wrong about this last part though. I haven't really followed it that closely.

I guess I could go either way and choose to give her the aggrieved parent benefit of the doubt. I have a whole lot of problems with her ideology and politics but personally have seen nothing that shows she's not a caring and loving mother. Mothers do some funky shit when they feel their babies are attacked.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #46
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I really think someone pushed her into making this an issue. She did all the rounds on television for some reason. It just came across as faux outrage. Would have been better to make one press release and shown some tougher skin.
Yep, but she doesn't have the PR sense to know that and since her act plays well to the base I can understand her handler pushing the outrage card and fanning her very real outrage. I just can't see blaming Palin for that in this case. It's nothing new for her anyway and she kinda has a reason to be mad.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #47
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just watched the video and have no idea what the hell that was all about but it looked 100% ridiculous. These are the kinds of videos you wish you could sit down and show people so they could see how fucking stupidly they are acting in public.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #48
Sgran
High School Varsity

Anyone who enjoyed this clip should see the movie Bob Roberts. One of Roberts' fanatical followers is played by Jack Black.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #49
miked
College Starter

There wasn't this much outrage recently when the GOP leader of South Carolina called an escaped gorilla at the zoo one of Michele Obama's ancestors. Of course, he tried to play it off as a comment on evolution, one that she never made.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good to see the NY/NJ Idiot convention getting the attention it deserves.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote