Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Setanta Sports

I have been fortunate enough here to subscribe to Setanta Sports (first via IPTV, then DirecTV & currently Verizon FIOS). But with the future of the company in grave doubt, Setanta halts new subscriptions, I think it is time to cancel my subscription. I subscribed to watch many more of the EPL games with the packages being split here in the States with Fox Soccer Channel. I was disappointed ESPN didn't pick up any packages in the latest round of bidding. Perhaps this will be their chance to try again?

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The US version of Setanta is suppose to very profitable. I would not cancel just yet, your still getting the same stuff and I don't think the the TV packages in the US have changed much. There is a rumor floating around that Setanta is going to sell of its two profitable divisions, the US and Ireland, and use that money to inject some cash to its England division. That really makes no sense to me, to sell off your two profitable divisions to inject money into something that has been losing money hand over fist.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is this the channel with that crazy soccer puppet show?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

If Setanta does collapse that could mean big trouble for many clubs. There are Scottish league clubs that could fold over this and some English clubs would be very badly hurt.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
rowech
Pro Starter

So ESPN decided to not bid on EPL games? Still will be on FSC?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Is this the channel with that crazy soccer puppet show?

Yeah.

Speacial1TV is usually pretty funny.

the most recent season
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
The US version of Setanta is suppose to very profitable. I would not cancel just yet, your still getting the same stuff and I don't think the the TV packages in the US have changed much.

Hmmm, I guess I will need to read further into this. I thought the articles I reviewed indicated that they would probably have to give up the EPL packages. There was a scenario where they would still show the games on their channel, but the "rights" were from a different company. But it didn't look promising.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
So ESPN decided to not bid on EPL games? Still will be on FSC?

They decided not to bid on the England rights. I am not sure if or when the US rights go on the bidding block. I do know that FSC won all of the Champions Leagues US rights.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I have been fortunate enough here to subscribe to Setanta Sports (first via IPTV, then DirecTV & currently Verizon FIOS). But with the future of the company in grave doubt, Setanta halts new subscriptions, I think it is time to cancel my subscription. I subscribed to watch many more of the EPL games with the packages being split here in the States with Fox Soccer Channel. I was disappointed ESPN didn't pick up any packages in the latest round of bidding. Perhaps this will be their chance to try again?

If you are enjoying it, why would you bail on them now - they are clearly struggling and the last thing they need is happy subscribers cancelling?

If they go bust, stop the direct debit then, but right now they need your support, not your cancellation.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
If you are enjoying it, why would you bail on them now - they are clearly struggling and the last thing they need is happy subscribers cancelling?

A fair question. I suppose my rationale is this: As I've stated before, my main purpose for watching Setanta is for the EPL. Truthfully, that season lasts 9-10 months. I am OK paying them for 12 months... with the understanding that they are going to provide the programming I'm expecting in the next season. With the future not so clear, I'm not sure I want to give them the extra 2-3 months subscription.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Wait till at least the end of this month before deciding because there should be a much clearer picture as to what is going to unfold as far as who has rights where.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's not ALL the Champions League rights, Setanta North America and FSC share the rights. FSC does have the final, and first choice of matches, though
Old 06-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
AlexB
Pro Starter

I subscribed mainly beacuse they bought the UK rights to the UFC, and the monthly sub includes all UFC programming within it (main cards, Fight Night & TUF). Add it to the IPL, PGA, boxing and the extra EPL & England fixtures on top of the normal Sky content, it's a great deal.

But theirein lies the problem over here: the football they show here used to be Sky's PPV games - a fiver each or about £60 a year from memory. They include a lot of boxing cards that Sky would have as PPV at £15 a throw, at least one every other month.

So in effect the monthly sub covers the football and the boxing PPV if compared to how Sky would sell it, and everything else is basically at no cost. Admittedly not everyone would pay the PPV charges for the individual events (myself included), but it still seems a little out when you consider the standard Sky Sports sub fees

They went too hard too quickly - no need for French/German football, not sure they got extra subscribers for the PGA coverage, but I bet they paid a lot for all three. And they don't have enough quality boxing to convince fans to subscribe if they don't liket the overall package, so instead my mates (and me, even though I have the deal) go to the pub to watch the Setanta fights, of which the biggest ones (David Haye, Joe Calzaghe, etc) will have cost them a fortune.

It is very easy to see why the UK Setanta is losing money tbh.

Last edited by AlexB : 06-11-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
AlexB
Pro Starter

Looks like they've won a stay of exeeution, at least I still get the UFC till the turn of the year!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Just read that their premier league license agreement has been terminated.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Just read that their premier league license agreement has been terminated.

For UK, USA, or both?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Looks like UK to me.

Setanta Premier League Deal: Whistle Blown On Final Year After Broadcaster Fails To Pay Its Debt | Business | Sky News
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
AlexB
Pro Starter

Setanta UK has now stopped broadcasting and ceased trading. Gone.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yup. The Irish and North American operations are NOT affected.