Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
Havok
College Starter

Sercret to winning in hattrick earley??

well... for all you new guys out there i think you might wanna give this a try.

First off figure out what you wanna train. Im training defense and running a 4-5-1.

So i bought quite a few young inadequate and passable defenders.

Now to the part i think is key. To fill up your other postions... buy older guys. I just bought a 29 year old passable winger and inadequate playmaking and scoring for 2,000. 2,000!!!!!

You can find AMAZING deals on guys around 30 years old. I've been looking around today and its just crazy. I wish i would have known this before i filled alot of my spots with young guys that ill never train because im training defending for the next year or two.

You can pick up passable wingers, forwards, and midfielders for pretty cheap. Then just grab a inadequate or passable GK and your set. You should have a pretty competitive team for cheap.

Since all you wanna do earley in Hattrick is win games and get your Youth squad up and your supporters up. Buying olders guys is the way to go. You can worry about getting younger studs in your other postions once you start making a good profit on your team.

I wish someone would have told me this 3 weeks ago when i got my team

Anyway... waddya olders Hattricks think of this??? makes sense right??

Last edited by Havok : 04-02-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Take a look at my dynasty, I've hired some old guns for my job. The key thing is that you hope that while you are stuck with some vets that the youth squad will churn out some nice studs.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
Havok
College Starter

ahh cool
i wasnt sure if anyone did that.

where were you when i first started!!!

I spent alot of money on young guys that ill never train. Like a young passable forward and a young passable winger.I could have spent half that and gotten older guys that could do the same job.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
ahh cool
i wasnt sure if anyone did that.

where were you when i first started!!!

I spent alot of money on young guys that ill never train. Like a young passable forward and a young passable winger.I could have spent half that and gotten older guys that could do the same job.

Hey, I've done exactly the same, now I'm in debt because I decided to upgrade my stadium... Will be back to the bargain bin of "older is better" in a few weeks

I see it the same way you do. If you're not gonna train the guy, let him be older

FrogMan
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:17 PM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh and btw, Quikshot was running is first team to bankruptcy when you first started

Qwik, looks like you've learned a lot. I took a look at your MyBestTeam ratings and you should have a strong team right off the bat... Good job!

FrogMan
Old 04-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Signing veterns may work to win early, and it has in other sports in real life, though I'm not sure if one will be able to sustain it.

For a real life example, lets look at the Jaguars and Panthers. Both teams were able to achieve success fairly early in part because of signing vetern free agents, though they have fallen since their early success not having had enough young talent to build on in the early years.

Hattrick, however, has a very different system for aquiring players. Therefore I could forsee this stratagy working if you were able to get enough financial success to buy players who will be able to help keep winning.

Not knowing how things will work out, I think I'm going to try to build a team on young talent in the hope that I can develop them, even if it means I don't start off winning right away.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #7
DataKing
Pro Rookie

There seems to be more of a stigma against older players than the game really warrants. True, players can possibly start losing ratings at age 27, but I haven't seen that happen very often. In fact, none of my 27+ guys (including a midfielder who is now 33) have shown any signs of dropping off much.

Older players can be a nice bargain, so long as you don't expect them to be a long-term solution.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #8
Havok
College Starter

agreed, i wish i would have thought of this 3 weeks ago

i'd have a better team and more money. You live and learn i guess
Old 04-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

If you were able to get them at a good price and still have some money, you should be alright.

I'm not basing this off game experience, however, but off of real life sports team and other text based games. Therefore I may be off on a few things.

What I wanted to follow when I got a team is the Twins model of building on good young players (though from the looks of things you have to have a winning team to have a good youth system). My plans are to get a good base of younger players to train and develop into good players down the road, though still have some crafty vets around.

If you got the older players at a good value, spend some money on a few younger guys you plan to develop to build for the future.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #10
fflix
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
agreed, i wish i would have thought of this 3 weeks ago

i'd have a better team and more money. You live and learn i guess

I'm in the same situation as you. I put a little too much emphasis on acquiring young players, at positions I won't be training, before I learned how the training system works.
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #11
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan
oh and btw, Quikshot was running is first team to bankruptcy when you first started

Qwik, looks like you've learned a lot. I took a look at your MyBestTeam ratings and you should have a strong team right off the bat... Good job!

FrogMan

Yeah, the first problem was I spent money on some bad players...players who couldn't hold form, players who weren't really good at the position I wanted them to be, I just didn't understand the mechanics of it all...so I decided to "sell" the team. The only guy on the team I would've like to have kept was Louis Harris a British striker...he was probably my even an idiot can get one pick right moment.

In my dynasty I had 3 young solid defenseman...at the urging of several prominent and not so prominent HT owners, and because of my own uncontrollable urge to spend money, I sold one off (he's now on a top divIII team). The remainder of the team was poo saw for a weak form striker. Most of them are gone now, or for sale...in came a 32 yr old wingback, 28 yr old mid, 29 wing, 27? wing, 32 defender, 20 yr old mid (for b squad), 32 yr old mid (injury will be back in two weeks) and two mid/wings on my bench that are 28 to 33. I have a 20 yr old and 18 yr old goals (passable, one close to solid, both bought) and two very young cheap strikers at passable. I'm about 150,000 in debt, with 50k left for spending, but most of what I want is out of reach again.

The idea though is to grab some cheap talent as well for friendlies anything 17 to 18 with a smidge of talent (inadequate defense, playmaking, scoring) and train train train to perfection...I think I would like to train scoring, but it would be the cheapest return on investment, goalkeeping is another but the remainder of the team doesn't change while your goalie does, that kind of defeats the across the board goal of making money on all your players.

I'm glad to have the Ultra Nox...I'm happy with them...please keep in mind on form, a player with disasterous form plays maybe at half the level his stats state...so when on the waiver wire you may think you've struck gold only to find someone with poor form (you'll spend time training general to hopefully make it go up)...I look for stamina, form, and then whatever it is I'm looking to grab...defenders are easy because you can leave stamina go so as long as you keep them to defense...mids get harder because you are looking for more than one ability plus stamina, plus form...so it gets to be more complex.

Good luck to you...I've got a rainy game in Wisconsin to look forward to.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:17 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

My stratagy's working well so far.

My first cup game running my 5-4-1 and I scored in the 15th minute with a goal by a winger I picked up and put in the lineup late last night. 1 - 0 Square Pegs.

Now I just have a to hope my D (my best players are on central D) can hold on to win it.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-02-2003 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:34 PM   #13
fflix
Mascot

I have a question applying to newer teams, particularly those with poor B teams. During friendlies, should I play the B team players that I want trained that week and use some A team players in the other positions to try to win? Or should I field completely separate A and B teams to avoid injuries of A team players and form drops of B team players?

Last edited by fflix : 04-02-2003 at 05:42 PM.
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:39 PM   #14
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by fflix
I have a question applying to newer teams, particularly those with poor B teams. During friendlies, should I play the B team players that I want trained that week and use some A team players in the other positions to try to win? Or should I field completely separate A and B teams to avoid injuries and form drops of B team players?

Well it depends on what you want to train...if you train playmaking, you go into a 3-5-2 and you'll want a whole batch of new guys to train...friendlies aren't about winning, though it is nice, and helps morale I would believe...but the ultimate goal (sorry pun) is to train you players to improve...injuries will happen that's why you have physios and docs on hand...it's kind of a personal preference.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:56 PM   #15
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

The only morale a friendly effects, is yours, when you hit refresh and realise you've won.

Cup games count. League games count. Friendlies don't count for anything, except to train those trainees up.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:35 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think, if I had to go back and do it all over again, I would do this. Sort of. Qwik has it almost perfect the way I look at it. Basically, your starting 11 are the best players on your team, bar none. Age means nothing- you need the best guys who can help you.

However, for your B team, you must get young guys: 17-19yo and make sure they are passable in whatever you are training. If you are training, say playmaking, having inad/inad wingbacks, inad/inad strikers, and an inad defender and goalie, no big deal, but your trainee middies and wingers damn well better be passable at playmaking. Correction, a passable playmaker or an inad with great and I mean, great, periphery skills (ie 3 inads in key areas). It will take you an extra half season to train up that level and the price between young inad playmakers (can be had for $1-5K) and young passables isnt that cost prohibitive early on ($15-20K) to make you care. When others are buying your players, they will see that "excellent" or "solid" playmaking long before they see his faults so that is what you should focus on.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #17
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I went ahead and bought 6 inad. playmakers w/ at least one other key skill of inad. (passing and/or winger) and trained them up with the other 4 guys I kept (3 of which were young and good trainees) and the 1 solid playmaker as my A team middie stud. I got lucky in that 4 of the 6 new guys and 1 of the older ones has popped to passable with only 4 weeks of training. But, I'm near the wall money wise so I'm going to have to start selling trainees or pulling decent youth players soon. Passable is definately more ideal for a starting point for trainees.