Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

IT Freelancing/Consulting Tips?

So over the past week I've been thinking of moonlighting, doing some IT consulting work in the Boston area. I have good experience as a solo consultant and love doing it, also have a skillset that I believe is in demand at the moment. However I've never gone at it alone, I've worked full time for companies with a sales staff that provided me with projects, so that aspect is new to me.

Anyone have any experience or are currently doing it? Any tips for securing those first couple clients? I've already done the craigslist thing, but that's more home and ultra small business oriented and I'm looking at small business on the low end. Any websites that cater to this?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

When I was freelance most stuff I picked up was word of mouth from prior customers or people I'd worked with in the past.

Beyond that (esp.if you're not into networking) then I'd suggest using an agency to facilitate finding you positions*).

*I'm presuming that things work vaguely similarly to in the UK; do bear in mind I haven't done the 'free lance thing' for well over a decade now ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

My prior customers are down in the Providence area and currently covered by a non-compete with my last company.

I do have some friends/ex-coworkers I can use to dig up some business, but hesitant to ask since work for me means less for their company. Don't want to put them in that spot.

I'm not sure I want to go through an agency, since this is part time and my current employer would be less than pleased that I'm moonlighting(even though I'm working an internal gig), so I'm trying to keep it off the grid. So to speak. I am going to try to dig up some conventions or any kind of place where I can just get my face out there and talk to people.

Thanks for the tips, any are appreciated. I'd love to build up enough of a client base to be able to do it full time, but my expectations are low enough that I'll hold on to my current job, to which I have only minor complaints about.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-06-2009 at 01:21 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what's your skillset/what type of things have you done Jeff? Feel free to shoot me a PM or something. I'm currently in the "ultra small" business world, but I know folks that are in somewhat larger companies and i can at least give them a heads-up, even if it's without naming your name...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote