Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

OT: Update on Columbia Professor

Mogadishu Professor Cuts Class
Basically, the story says Nicholas de Genova didn't show up for his class yesterday because "Nick is afraid for his life, nobody knows where he is" according to one of his graduate assistants.

Since this is a message board, and not a talk show subject to FCC regulations, I can finally call Professor de Genova a raging pussy.

Now I feel better. I've been wanting to say that since about 7:45 this morning.

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:28 AM   #2
Easy Mac

SO Dick Cheney was a pussy on 9/11 because they hid him away in bunkers for fear of threats on his life? Im confused?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
SO Dick Cheney was a pussy on 9/11 because they hid him away in bunkers for fear of threats on his life? Im confused?

Dick Cheney didn't do anything to bring the threats on himself. Huge difference. Hopefully that clarifies things for you.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 04-02-2003 at 10:31 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Tarkus: Not true at all. The Islamists that would kill him would do so because of what he has said and done. You may disagree with them, but its very similar to the professor's actions.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:32 AM   #7
Easy Mac

SO he's a pussy b/c he said something, and people want ot kill him for it, and he doesn't want to be killed. I didn't know death was a byproduct of democracy.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Easy,

Dick Cheney is the vice president. This country was attacked on 9/11, and it was important that if something happened to the president, the vice president was around to take over. It's called protecting the chain of command.

Nicholas de Genova is a college professor. There have been no instances of a physical attack on a college professor for speaking out against the war. If he wants to run and hide after speaking his mind, he also has that right. But it's called not having the courage of your convictions. That in my mind makes him a pussy.

To compare the two circumstances is ludicrous.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Dola: He's a pussy because the men and women of the military, the people he said should die in a million Mogadishus, are actually willing to lay down their lives for what they believe in.

He on the other hand, runs away. He's a coward and a pussy.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
Easy,

Dick Cheney is the vice president. This country was attacked on 9/11, and it was important that if something happened to the president, the vice president was around to take over. It's called protecting the chain of command.

Nicholas de Genova is a college professor. There have been no instances of a physical attack on a college professor for speaking out against the war. If he wants to run and hide after speaking his mind, he also has that right. But it's called not having the courage of your convictions. That in my mind makes him a pussy.

To compare the two circumstances is ludicrous.

Did you read the article, it said there were death threats made to him.

Lets put it this way:
"There have been no instances of a physical attack on a college professor for speaking out against the war."

There have been no instances of Saddam attacking America, but we use that a reason for war. How is that fair?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #11
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
Tarkus: Not true at all. The Islamists that would kill him would do so because of what he has said and done. You may disagree with them, but its very similar to the professor's actions.

Dick Cheney and George Bush were elected by this country to serve it the best they know how. They are taking actions they believe to be in the best interests of their country. I'm surprised you can't see the difference between this and an individual elected by no one spewing incredibily unpatriotic sentiments.

Tarkus
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cam: But there have been instances of violence related to anti-war views. A man in Grafton, WV was beaten in a bar for expressing anti-war views and a man in Houston was beaten for not standing during the playing of "Proud to Be an American" at a rodeo. While I certainly don't support the views of the professor, I can understand why he would feel that his life is in danger.

If I threatened to kill you and you sought police protection would you be a pussy?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:38 AM   #13
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nope, still not good. There have been instances of Saddam attacking another country, hence the sanctions.

Funny how he is allowed to wish the death of millions and is somehow the victim when that comes back to bite him in the butt.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:39 AM   #14
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
Cam: But there have been instances of violence related to anti-war views. A man in Grafton, WV was beaten in a bar for expressing anti-war views and a man in Houston was beaten for not standing during the playing of "Proud to Be an American" at a rodeo. While I certainly don't support the views of the professor, I can understand why he would feel that his life is in danger.

If I threatened to kill you and you sought police protection would you be a pussy?

And there have been instances of violence against gays, blacks, Jews, you name it. Do you see many of those people running and hiding and asking for assistance? And I bet most of them didn't intentionally put themselves in a bad situation. He's afraid, let him hire a body guard.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 04-02-2003 at 10:40 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Tarkus: I'm not supporting the views of the professor, in fact I find them repellent. I do, though, understand his concern for his safety. Violence against those expressing anti-war views is real, and I don't believe the professor is a pussy for fearing for his safety. As I said earlier to Cam, if I said repeatedly that I was going to kill you because of your political views would you be a pussy for wanting protection from me?

As to the Cheney thing, of course there is a difference between the professor and the VP. However, I still say those Islamists who want to kill Cheney want to do so in large part do to his beliefs and statements that they find repellent.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #16
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Nope, still not good. There have been instances of Saddam attacking another country, hence the sanctions.

Funny how he is allowed to wish the death of millions and is somehow the victim when that comes back to bite him in the butt.

We're not talking sanctions, we're talking acts of war. Note the term 'America" not countries.

And people giving him death threats is how America works. I'm glad we're protecting American against those foreign savages.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 AM   #17
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

JPhillips,

He's not seeking police protection. He's gone into hiding. If he wanted police protection so he could go teach his class, I'd still laugh at him, but I wouldn't call him a cowardly pussy. Running away makes him a cowardly pussy.

Easy, first you compare this guy to our vice president, now you compare his actions with the war on Iraq? You really need to get a new source for analogies.

I'm not going to explain for the umpteenth time about why we're at war. I'll say that the threat presented by Iraq is one reason why we went to war. Our action was to protect ourselves. If de Genova is so scared for his life, why hasn't he called for police protection? More importantly, why is he willing to call for the deaths of 18 million Americans and yet be too afraid to put his own life on the line for what he believes?

I've HAD death threats against me. It's the nature of being a talk show host. And yes, I think every talk show host knows what happened to Alan Berg. There are nutballs out there that would do me harm. Every day I run the risk of being stalked, beaten, or killed for sharing my beliefs. It's jus that my beliefs are important enough to me to deal with that risk.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:44 AM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Tarkus: Actually people who are theatened get protection all the time. What about the schoolkids in Maryland that had police protection during the sniper crisis. Were they pussies? Should they have just hired a bodyguard?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cam: While I don't doubt that you have had death threats, I think the level of hate directed at the professor is quite different. As far as I can recall I haven't seen talk shows dedicated to trashing you and calling you a traitor. The level of animosity toward the professor is truly staggering. In large part he brought it on himself, but I believe he has a reasonable fear for his safety.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I have stalked Cam off and on for a few years. BOOOOORING!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #21
scooper
College Benchwarmer

If Easy Mac continues with his ridiculous line of reasoning, I'm boycotting Kleenex.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #22
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

JPhillips,

That still doesn't explain why he chose to hide like a rabbit rather than seek out police protection if he's really in fear for his life. It also doesn't explain how he can say these things yet not be prepared to stand up for himself in the aftermath.

I hear a lot of reasoning as to why he would hide. I realize WHY he's hiding... that doesn't make him less of a cowardly pussy.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I find what he said to be repulsive, but I have no problem with him staying away from school when there have been numerous death threats made. He's an idiot, probably a bad teacher, but IMO not a pussy.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:49 PM   #24
Mountain
Mascot

I agree with the pussy call on this one. While I support his right to say what he wants, he also needs to be willing to stand up and be counted when the going gets rough.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #25
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I have stalked Cam off and on for a few years. BOOOOORING!!!

Was that you?
Old 04-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #26
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I agree with him being a pussy. If you want to stoke the fires of controversy, stand up for yourself and defend your actions.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #27
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
Was that you?

Either me or the Video-John guy.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #28
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

When faced with a situation like this, I always try to be logical and put myself in the other guys shoes (as loathsome as that may be in this case).

When I first thought about it, I came to the conclusion that the prof was not a pussy. If you have views/beliefs that go against the majority and are targeted with death threats, it is not cowardly to try to save your life.

Example: In the early 1800's there were many abolishionists that spoke out against slavery, recieved death threats and had to go in hiding. Pussies? No. Many of these same folks went underground and did a lot for the anti-slavery movement.

Running from death threats does not necessarily make you a pussy. HOWEVER!

What makes this professor's case a bit different, is the fact that he called for the deaths of a million US soldiers. If you are willing to speak death upon others, you better be willing to face the consequences of your speech.

So upon further reflection, I too, think this guy is a cowardly pussy.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Heres what this whole thing boils down to:

The prof had every right to say what he said, but with that right comes the responsibility to be held accountable for ones actions. I do not believe he should be attacked or harmed in any way, he was simply executing his right of free speech. I DO believe he is a coward and a hypocrite for stating his beliefs and hiding away from any possible rebuttals, be they verbal or otherwise. He takes advantage of the rights this nation gives him to tear it down, but cowers in fear for what his own words may bring about. For that, yes, he's a pussy.

Dick Cheney does NOT relate to this at all, he was ORDERED to be taken to the secure bunker, he didn't choose it. The statements about threats of attack on his life in generally erroneous as the threats were made regarding all members of the White House Administration. Cheney was taken into hiding to protect the chain of command in the event of an attack on the command structure of this nation, not because someone wanted Cheney dead.

Please people, get things straight before you use terrible comparisons to try and make a point.

Sheesh
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #30
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

bastard ought to be in hiding
Old 04-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #31
RendeR
Coordinator

Oh and just an add on to this, if he stays away from his classes again he should be FIRED and any and all benefits removed. I'm all for Columbia stating that they honor his rights to free speech, but since his own stupidty in making such amazing statements in a public forum are the cause of his appearent need to hide, then he is not doing his job and should lose it. This is not a man who should be teaching college students.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:05 PM   #32
astralhaze
College Prospect

As a coward and a pussy, I resent my comparasin to de Genova.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:06 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You know, I kindof want to side with JPhillips on this because I've said over and over, not so much my opinions on the war, but my opinions on those who have opinions on the war (i.e. not how you feel about it but how you feel about advocates and dissenters)- mostly that the militant hawks need to remember that (mildly) opposing a war that the rest of the world doesn't like doesn't make us CommiNazis or sympathizers or whatever: It just means we disagree with the politics of it. Yes, that was all one sentence (run-on, tho it may be) and now it's time to breathe.

But I just can't in this case and SplitP hit the nail right on the head for my feelings as to why. He said this to rile people up and thus must face the consequences of his actions since he did it for that purpose.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #34
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Yes, that was all one sentence (run-on, tho it may be) and now it's time to breathe.

I just love stream of conscienceness posts
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:40 PM   #35
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:

There have been no instances of Saddam attacking America, but we use that a reason for war. How is that fair?

Hitler never attacked us before we joined WWII.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:52 PM   #36
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneGavel
Hitler never attacked us before we joined WWII.

Actually, Germany declared war on us before we joined WWII, and their U-boats were doing a fine job of sinking the supply liners we were sending over to Great Britain.

Regardless, I'm on the record with the "de Genova is a raging pussy" crowd.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:35 PM   #37
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Finally, something those who support the war and oppose the war can agree on (for the most part).

Nicholas de Genova is a cowardly pussy. United We Stand!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 03:52 PM   #38
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Actually, Germany declared war on us before we joined WWII, and their U-boats were doing a fine job of sinking the supply liners we were sending over to Great Britain.

Regardless, I'm on the record with the "de Genova is a raging pussy" crowd.

You are right, the US never declared war on Germany, Hitler declared war on the US as he was allied with Japan and the US declared war upon it. Otherwise the US would never have gone to war in Europe.

By the was who is De Genova ???
Old 04-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #39
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

"Hitler never attacked us before we joined WWII."

Can anyone tell me where this inaccuracy came from and why it is suddenly a favorite argument for conservatives? I have now heard this line at least twice on this board and at least twice on conservative radio. It seems like someone big, maybe Rush or O'Really, said this and now it is seen as "fact". Cam, is this something you are hearing as well?

Its things like this that almost make me believe in the right wing conspiracy crap.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #40
Easy Mac

Where does it say he's running from his words. It says he's running from the possibility of being killed. Isn't a reason we're in Iraq to prevent shit like those getting killed for saying what they think (regardless of how idiotic the professor is)? How are we any different than Iraq if that shit happens over here?

And ummmm, his statements were about Iraq, not really a stretch if I compare the two. Just because you can't answer the question doesn't mean you have to attack those who give it out.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #41
MJ4H
Coordinator

Because here it isnt the government doing the killing. Nobody is saying its ok to kill him, but dont you think its a tad worse when the GOVERNMENT does something like that instead of someone that can then be held accountable? The result is the same for the poor guy that doesnt have the common sense to yell he wants americans to die in a crowd of americans, but at least its not the government in power doing it. We will never be able to stop murder in this country, but if someone kills him because of what he said, here it is murder.

EDIT - weird sorry about quoting instead of editing earlier

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-02-2003 at 07:13 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:38 PM   #42
astralhaze
College Prospect

On the "Hitler never attack us" idea, German U-boats were attacking U.S. supply ships long before we joined the war. I don't know how b.s. like this keeps circulating.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:57 PM   #43
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Where does it say he's running from his words. It says he's running from the possibility of being killed. Isn't a reason we're in Iraq to prevent shit like those getting killed for saying what they think (regardless of how idiotic the professor is)? How are we any different than Iraq if that shit happens over here?

And ummmm, his statements were about Iraq, not really a stretch if I compare the two. Just because you can't answer the question doesn't mean you have to attack those who give it out.

I never said he was running from his words. I said he's afraid to stand up for his beliefs. I said he doesn't have the courage of his convictions.

Look, you keep throwing out all these worthless analogies. Let me throw one back at you. How much respect would Martin Luther King have had if he gave his "I have a dream speech" and then went into hiding for months? It's not just what you say, it's how you act.

Nicholas de Genova is a coward, plain and simple. With all the options available to him; police protection, private bodyguard, university police, volunteer human shields, and the like... he chose to run away and hide.

BTW, JPhillips, I haven't heard that argument from any of my callers. I don't listen to a lot of talk radio, so I can't tell you who said it. I know I haven't. I don't think comparisons to WWII have much validity in this case.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:59 AM   #44
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

There have been no instances of Saddam attacking America

How certain are you of that?