Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2003, 10:08 AM   #1
clintl
College Starter

A real outrage

How the hell can a school district justify this kind of crap? Censorship is not education, it is the forced deprivation of education.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rs_suspended_2

clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Re: A real outrage

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl
How the hell can a school district justify this kind of crap? Censorship is not education, it is the forced deprivation of education.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rs_suspended_2

The sad part is that this is how school administrations spend their time, not worrying on improving the education of the children, but determining the best way to cover their own butts.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I think the district was concerned about the controversial nature of the artwork (on both sides). I agree with you however, in that high school students should be mature enough to engage in a debate about the war.

Of course, you'd think adults would be mature enough to engage in a debate about the war, but many of the protests have proven that theory wrong.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I see both sides of this. On the one hand the admin should be confident enough in the teachers to allow a debate about what may be one of the most important policy decisions in the past twenty years. These aren't little children, they are high school students. Some of them will be leaving high school soon and joining the armed forces. If they are old enough to go to war and die for their country they are old enough to debate about the war.

On the other hand the admin is probably rightly concerned about this art being criticized as anti-American leftist propoganda. Its not hard to imagine O'Really or Hannity or Rush blasting the school for allowing leftist teachers to display pro-Saddam artwork. I'm sure the admin doesn't want to be running a school labeled pro-terrorist by rabid talking heads.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Easy Mac

As have FoxNews's anchors and talk shows. Damn man, quit spitting out your partisan bullshit when it doesn't even belong in whats being talked about.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:34 AM   #6
clintl
College Starter

If you will note, one of the teachers specifically said that the posted artwork contained both pro-war and anti-war messages. So I don't see where the Fox News anchors would have much of a case.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:35 AM   #7
Easy Mac

sorry, meant that for Cam and not Jphill, I dont post fast enough
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Clint,

We have a (well defended) segment of the population that demands the schools be kept free of religion in all shapes and forms. Why not something like this as well?

Last edited by Fritz : 04-02-2003 at 10:46 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:44 AM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think this is absurd and a knock on both teachers and students. People are allowed to express their opinion. But then again, I think religion should be allowed in school too.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:46 AM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Easy,

Quit trying to trample my freedom of speech. That's completely un-American and hawkish of you.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #11
clintl
College Starter

This is not religion, therefore there is no 1st Amendment Establishment Clause issue involved. It is a political debate.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
This is not religion, therefore there is no 1st Amendment Establishment Clause issue involved. It is a political debate.

Come on, you can do better than that.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #13
clintl
College Starter

Actually I don't think that schools need to be completely free of religion. I just think that schools need to be completely free of endorsing any particular religion. Voluntary student expressions (like extracurricular clubs, valedictorian speeches, etc) are OK with me. Classroom prayer, invocations, benedictions, proselytizing teachers and administrators, etc., are not.

In addition, I think students are ill-served if religion and its impacts (good and bad) on society are ignored in history and social science courses. And I think it would be very helpful to us all if the education system covered the beliefs and differences between the major religions. Maybe then, we would have a little less religious bigotry (although the right wingers that want our school system to be extensions of evangelical Christian churches would not be happy at all with that).

Is that better, Fritz?
Old 04-02-2003, 11:12 AM   #14
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Is that better, Fritz?

Much. Thank you.

FWIW, I more or less agree with you.

One comment I would make on War, religion, politics, and such is that they should support education and not distract from it. There is a lot of weight on the teachers to make sure this happens, and that may be asking too much.