Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Infamous (PS3)

I'd highly recommend people check this out. I got it yesterday and spent all evening playing. It's a tough game to explain but it's a ton of fun. The game is rather open ended and you can use a lot of the elements in the game to help you get kilils. There are many different ways to add experience (which makes your abilities better) as well as two different paths you can take (good vs evil). Each path has its downfalls and benefits. I'm most impressed with the physics of the game and the ease at which you can move your player up and down buildings and throughout this city.

The best comparision I can make is a really beefed up and fun version of Crackdown. All with a comic book feel to it.

Some have been saying it's the game of the year so far and I have to agree.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Parody thread:

Notorious (B.I.G.)
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

As I said in the 2009 Video Game thread, it is my game of the year at this point. It is great IMO, simple as that. I love how things look, move, react to each other, the story is decent, it is just a blast to play. I rank it up there with GTA games, and I love GTA games. It has not had several versions to grow like GTA, but I sure as hell hope it gets the chance.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

between the endorsement from rainmaker/cringer, and the video review I watched over at IGN, I'll definitely be picking this up soon, it looks awesome.

Last edited by Radii : 05-29-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm surprised there is no 'What game did you last play' thread.

I've had this one on my short list, but I'm playing so many games right now that it is hard to justify another one. Father's day is coming up though so, I'll hit the wife up.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-29-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
As I said in the 2009 Video Game thread, it is my game of the year at this point. It is great IMO, simple as that. I love how things look, move, react to each other, the story is decent, it is just a blast to play. I rank it up there with GTA games, and I love GTA games. It has not had several versions to grow like GTA, but I sure as hell hope it gets the chance.

I'd take inFamous over GTA anyday. I'm one of those people that enjoy GTA, but get tired of the repetitive tasks after awhile. I don't have those issues with this game. Storytelling is top-notch.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'd take inFamous over GTA anyday. I'm one of those people that enjoy GTA, but get tired of the repetitive tasks after awhile. I don't have those issues with this game. Storytelling is top-notch.

Right now I take this over a GTA game easily. There is some repetition in this game like any game, but I agree that it seems less then GTA or other games so far. I can also say that I will be replaying this once I am finished, simply to try the evil side of things, and I am looking forward to it. Once I finish GTA I am usually done with it.

And for parents out there, I am only comparing it to GTA in my liking of the game. There are some similarities, but they are pretty different games. Also, excluding the obvious violence it is more of a "can play in front of a kid" game then GTA. No whores, very little cussing that I can even remember right now, the only sex talk is alluding to it, "she's ready to go if you know what I mean," and that is only once or twice up to this point I think.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Calis
College Starter

Ok. You guys convinced me to go pick this up and try out the full game. I was somewhat on the fence after playing the demo, but I need a break from UFC Undisputed so I'm going to give it a try.

I'm a sucker for open-world games.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I might have to check this out, I loved Crackdown.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

It's a much different game than GTA. Part of GTA's lure is that you're playing in an actual U.S. city in a modern era we can all relate to. You don't have superpowers or special skills. It's tough to say I liked one more than the other because they each satisfy a different type of game.

I still think Crackdown is the closest you can get to a comparision. If you liked that style of game, this is essentially a much better version of it. The one thing I really like about the game is the difficulty. The enemies are much smarter than what we're used to. They move quickly, dodge, and will lay into you with damage.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

This game is awesome, played it a ton tonight hah. I don't see the lack of repition being any better/different than GTA, I sure seem to be doing the same things over and over. Holy crap if 1/4 of the side missions end up being destroy surveillance on the walls of a building like it has been so far I'm going to go insane

Aside from that one type of mission though, I'm really loving it.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

Got this today, played for about 6 hours. Good shit.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

My progress to date:

Spoiler

I am having a lot of fun with this game. A must for any PS3 owner, I think.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

I finished the game last night, it was shorter than I would have wished and I have a number of complaints, some big, some little, about specifics in the storyline. I think my biggest complaint though is that I wish there were like 10-15 fewer side missions and 10-15 more storyline missions. To really make me care about any of the decisions I make I need to feel more attached to the character and the setting. The story progresses so fast at times that it is impossible to ever feel an attachment.

That being said, I had a blast playing the game, the mechanics of combat and the methods for getting around are beautifully implemented. I absolutely love the world they've created, and its awesome hopping from building to building, finding the best paths/power lines to grind to get across the islands as fast as possible. I do recommend it, I just feel like they left a LOT of potential on the table in various ways given the world and system they created.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

I agree with you on the side/main missions. I get the feeling though that they wanted the game to be more open ended and the missions to be secondary. The side missions also seem to be repetitive and I think they could have made them a little more difficult as well as unique. They have such a cool city to play with that I'm sure you can come up with some great ideas.

Still a great game and one of the best non-sports games I've played in awhile. On the level of Bioshock and GTA in my book.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
hukarez
College Starter

I came close to picking up this title, until the folks at my local Game Crazy suggested holding off for Prototype. I'm told Prototype is similar to inFamous in terms of theme, but really haven't found much updated info on it on the web...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
Lorena
Unregistered

thanks to this thread the tv in the living room has been hijaked and i no longer have access to my soaps.

thx guys
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know about Prototype, but this is a ton of fun. If you're worried about the money, I'd pick this up and just sell it on Ebay when you finish it. It's a really good game.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

Just get them both.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
thanks to this thread the tv in the living room has been hijaked and i no longer have access to my soaps.

thx guys

Priorities are important in a family. Good to see you have everything in proper perspective.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

You guys are killing my wallet. Just got paid, and now I gotta check this out. Goodbye, money.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
You guys are killing my wallet. Just got paid, and now I gotta check this out. Goodbye, money.

If you can/want to set aside big blocks of time over a weekend this can definitely be beaten over the course of a rental. Or at least you could get a significant ways in and decide if its something you're likely to replay after you beat it, etc. In the interest of saving money of course
Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #23
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
If you can/want to set aside big blocks of time over a weekend this can definitely be beaten over the course of a rental. Or at least you could get a significant ways in and decide if its something you're likely to replay after you beat it, etc. In the interest of saving money of course

Well, to be honest what I do is finish it and then sell it on Ebay for 5-7 dollars cheaper, which is essentially the same as renting. It's actually easier for me, since the post office is walking distance and Blockbuster isn't.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #24
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Luckily, I have off tonight and tomorrow night and will have a ton of time to play. Woo!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Well, to be honest what I do is finish it and then sell it on Ebay for 5-7 dollars cheaper, which is essentially the same as renting. It's actually easier for me, since the post office is walking distance and Blockbuster isn't.
That's exactly what I do. Little more expensive than renting but having the freedom to take as long as I need to beat it makes it worth it.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone know how many districts there are? I'm on the 2nd and wondering if that 3rd one eventually comes into play.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

Do you mean the different islands? I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure the 3rd comes into play.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah sorry. I'm halfway through the 2nd island.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #29
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone know how many districts there are? I'm on the 2nd and wondering if that 3rd one eventually comes into play.

It does.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Have to say, this game is much more fun to me than GTA. Can't wait to finish so I can play the "dark" side. I actually started out down the dark side then saw how much XP I was picking up with random heals and before I knew it I was on the good side.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #31
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

doa: I owe trying this game to the RROD, thank you RROD.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

I tried the demo and couldn't even get through it. Controlling the guy was fun, and the graphics were neat... but the mission was so shitty. I do not want to get off the stupid train to charge it again time after time. I think I was on my third charging stoppage when I kept dying to some yelling fire guy. I don't know, if I got frustrated by the game in the freakin' demo... I don't think this game is for me. Are other missions any better?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #33
MikeVic
Head Coach

I bought it since it was only $30Cdn at Best Buy... like the real game a lot more than the demo.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote