Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Summer Vacation Advice- Yellowstone

So I have decided to take the girlfriend to yellowstone and was looking to get some advice on the trip from anyone who has been there before. I am pretty outdoorsy person and want to do some overnight white water rafting, few night horse pack trip.... I know the park is huge, so I'll need to figure out what area is best to stick to. I'm from South Louisiana so the more mountains I see the better.

Has anyone been, any recommendations on things to do? recommendations on what area of the park?

I think we'll be there for a week...the less electricity I have for that week, the happier I'll be.

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oooooo... Vacationing at the site of a Supervolcano... Not such a good idea, my friend.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Maybe that means there could be an "imminent supervolcano danger" discount?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

For the Mountains, and rafting I would recommend the Grand Teton Park just south of Yellowstone. I know there is some backcountry camping that can be had in Yellowstone too. I know that the campgrounds within Yellowstone fill up very fast, and many people have resorted to reserving them in advance, as most are campers that don't care what the ground looks like. I used to go there a lot as a child, and need to take my family there, but it's an awfully long drive from Cincy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I like the fact that Pilotman's only option is to drive to Yellowstone from Cincy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Luckily I have enough frequent flier miles saved up that the plane tickets will be covered.
I just came up with a rough itinerary (without knowing the layout at all it might not be possible)... but I think I can come away with doing everything I want for around 1k / person

See the grand canyon of yellowstone, get a cabin or just sleep in a tent out there...i'm sure there is a place to rent a tent. I figure 100 / night for 1 night
Overnight whitewater rafting trip, I saw one of these for $175 / person thats 2 days of rafting, and lodging for one night...works for me.
Overnight horse packing trip- I saw these go for about 250 / person / night, I'd think i'd want a 3 day / 2 night trip so thats 500.
Go see the geysers, no clue on the price here- assuming it'd be lodging somewhere I'll guess I could get out of that for under 100 / night- tent again if I needed to.
Then 1 day of kayaking on the river, found these for about 80...
And maybe a day or so to just drive / walk around.
Could come away for around 1k a piece, I'd be very happy with that.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Went there a few years ago. Best piece of advice I could give you right now is to know that any plans you make while driving through the park can be delayed by the animals. The traffic jam I saw when a bear was sighted rivaled traffic jams I've seen in major cities, and there is no quick way to go around it.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
miked
College Starter

A few years ago, the lady and I flew into SLC and rented a car. Drove up to Teton through Jackson Hole (spending a night on a campsite off a logging road). I think it was called Bear Lake or something, absolutely beautiful. We spent 2 nights in Grand Teton camping, then went to Yellowstone. Spent 2 nights camping (though I forget the trail), and then actually spent a night in a hotel/lodge near Canyon. It wasn't terribly expensive, but it was April or so. Drove around the park checked out the hot springs, checked out Mammoth a little, spent the night in a campground by West Yellowstone...really nice. Plus the town of West Yellowstone is quaint. Then we drove back down toward SLC through Idaho, stopping at some nice places there too.

Pack well, bring a nice camp stove, car camping is cool, don't skip Old Faithful or the thermal area. You can swim in Hot River (was fun and weird), and I think the Snake River has some fun rafting.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I'm starting to lean more towards the car camping, move to a new place each day or 2, and do some activities mixed in.

Question- Is there a place around there that would rent everything I need to camp out. I mean I have a tent here, I have all that stuff- but since I will be flying there, it wouldn't make much sense to bring it all?