Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Mike Tyson's daughter passes away

Very, very sad and tragic accident. Living here in Phoenix I know Mike did a lot for kids and was working hard to improve his public image. By all accounts a good and loving Father.

Police: Mike Tyson's daughter, 4, dies after treadmill accident

Quote:
Police: Mike Tyson's daughter, 4, dies after treadmill accident
by Ofelia Madrid - May. 26, 2009 07:20 PM
The Arizona Republic .
Boxer Mike Tyson's 4-year-old daughter has died from injuries she sustained in an apparent household accident, police said.

Exodus Tyson died at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday at a local hospital, one day after she was found with a rope or cord around her neck, according to a Phoenix police spokesman.

Additional information was not available. Sig Rogich, a friend and former Tyson agent, called the accident a “tragic, tragic thing.
“Mike was very dedicated to that baby,'' Rogich said. “I think every parent's greatest fear is that they live beyond their children. I know Mike has had his troubles in his life, but he's always been a good father.”

Police said they believe the girl was playing near some exercise equipment in an activity room Monday when she accidentally got tangled in a cord or rope hanging from a treadmill. The case is being treated as an accident.

Tyson was outside of Phoenix at the time of the accident, and immediately returned when he was notified, according to police.

Police said they arrived around 10:30 a.m. at the home in the 6100 block of North 10th Avenue, where they found the girl's mother had removed the cord from her neck and was administering cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.

Police said they think the girl's 7-year-old brother was watching television and her mother was busy cleaning in another room when the incident happened.

Experts say such flukish accidental deaths are uncommon and difficult to foresee -- but some are preventable with simple safety checks.

A child dying from accidental strangulation is a very rare occurrence, according to Sally Moffat, director of injury prevention for Phoenix Children's Hospital. Nationally, in 2006, fewer than 1,000 children died from strangulations, she said.

The Arizona Department of Health's most recent data shows that only two Arizona children in the 1-4 age group died from suffocation or choking in 2007. Neither of those deaths were caused by hanging.

When a child hanging does happen, it usually is caused by common household items the likes of clothing, ribbons, necklaces, pacifiers' strings, drapery cords and window blinds, Moffat said.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
hawk4669
High School JV

No matter what you think of the man, this is a tragic loss.

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Jesus it is unnatural for a parent to bury a child. My prays go out to his family.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

yeah, just terrible. Tyson has become such a tragic figure, and this just piles on
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I keep trying to picture this cord on the treadmill, and I can't do it. I work out on treadmills as my main in-gym workout, although I admit that is a public gym (24 Hour Fitness). Only cord on any treadmills I have seen is the one that goes from those automatic stop pull cords, and those, are by design, not supposed to be able to carry any weight, much less strangle anyone.

Very tragic story, and it doesn't matter what Tyson's been at times, no one deserves this (not that anyone was saying that). All the stories coming out about this little girl says she was a terrific, fun-loving, smiling child, too, who was well cared for.

RIP Exodus Tyson

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Horrible news.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

Horribly sad, but I have to say this - odd and slightly suspicious until further details come out, and I'm not saying anything about Mike since he wasn't even there.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Tragic to lose a child like that. Nobody should have to go through that.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Horribly sad, but I have to say this - odd and slightly suspicious until further details come out, and I'm not saying anything about Mike since he wasn't even there.

I'll give that from what we know, it's a touch off what's happened. That said, the on-scene investigators say it was a tragic accident. I'm gonna give the pros the benefit of the doubt until we learn absolutely otherwise.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
molson
General Manager

Sad story.

4-year old girls are so tiny. As that article points out, they've been strangled in window blinds, clothes, seatbelts, it doesn't take much force at all.

I feel bad for Mike Tyson. Some of his other troubles have obviously been brought on by himself, but I've always found him to be an incredibly genuine, self-aware guy. I'm pretty surprised he hasn't killed himself (maybe his kids keep him going).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

Very, very sad.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Lorena
Unregistered

Oh man, tragic news
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I could not envision a circumstance where I would find myself praying for peace for Mike Tyson.

This is a terrible terrible thing, that just breaks your heart. Here's thinking of you Iron Mike.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

wow....I hope Mike has people close to him...he has not seemed stable well ever and I would fear his response....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

Is anyone else with preschool aged children now running around their house trying to eradicate anything stringlike?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
BigDPW
College Prospect

Man I feel horrible for Mike. Having two kids (2 yrs and 5 months) something like this would devastate me. I can't imagine what he and his family are going through.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
wow....I hope Mike has people close to him...he has not seemed stable well ever and I would fear his response....
Yeah, for a guy that has struggled to tame his inner beast, this has got to be just about the most severe test possible at this point in his life to keep himself from spiraling back out of control.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote