Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

$61 for 5 people to go to the movies

We went to Dallas this past weekend and went to see Night at the Museum Battle of the Smithsonian (surprisingly not bad BTW) and for three adults and two children it cost ~$41. With our snacks, it cost about $61 for about two hours of entertainment. That's simply insane.

For the record, I wasn't concerned with how much it cost prior to going in since this is the first time we've been out to the movies in a long time...but when we got the free refills, I looked at the prices and the Combo meal cost just as much as the individual prices. It was my fault for not doing the calculations prior to going in, but we were trying to make the 5 PM movie.

Two large sodas and a large popcorn for $16.75 and it probably cost $.50 to make. That's simply incredible.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You got off cheap, cost us $42.50 total for 2 adults & 1 child, and that was matinee pricing on the tickets.

Did discover that this particular theatre chain is doing "Stimulus Tuesdays" with small popcorn & medium drinks just $1 each on Tuesday. Accordingly, if there isn't too much homework coming home tomorrow night or any tests on Wednesday, we'll be seeing the late matinee of Star Trek tomorrow after Will gets home from school.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's actually a pretty decent price right there. $12.2 for each person. FAR cheaper than a pro baseball game w/food.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-25-2009 at 03:37 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Huh. Maybe I'm just cheap and it's been a couple years since we've all gone to the movies together, but I kept on thinking of the DVDs we could buy...

As far as baseball vs. movies, $12 per person for a non-live event is a lot compared to the atmosphere of live events.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
As far as baseball vs. movies, $12 per person for a non-live event is a lot compared to the atmosphere of live events.

And are you factoring in the atmosphere of a massive screen and huge ass speakers?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Huh. Maybe I'm just cheap and it's been a couple years since we've all gone to the movies together, but I kept on thinking of the DVDs we could buy...

My attitude as well. Since we have our home theater room, we almost never go to the movies now. I'd much rather just rent/buy movies.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
compared to the atmosphere of live events.

You must have better atmospheres than I get at most live events.

Turner Field sucks as a venue for actually watching baseball mostly because of the disinterested crowds who don't know nor care much about baseball, the Georgia Dome is 10x worse and could be bulldozed as a civic improvement afaic and I'm not really a fan of Phillips either to be honest (design is a little too vertical for my taste & the seats are like 4 inches wide). Not much "atmosphere" for an average game at any of them to be significant value added for me. My 11 year old gets different mileage from some of them but he's the only reason I ever even consider seeing a major league event in person any more.

edit to add: I think this goes back to a discussion that came up in another movie thread here in the past year or so, it kind of comes down to how you see the movie experience. For us, in theater adds a lot more to the movie than most live venues add to sports events that I can see better & in greater comfort on TV at home. If you don't get the theater rush from going though then yeah, it's a pretty bad rip. The other live venue events that come to mind, namely pro wrestling & concerts, I kind of put into a different category as both of those things are completely different experiences live than otherwise and on some of those then I do get the value added component.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-25-2009 at 03:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
chinaski
College Prospect

were blessed/cursed with high def theaters here, which on top of being all digital, they serve beer to your seats. We can easily spend 50 bucks for 2 people.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
My attitude as well. Since we have our home theater room, we almost never go to the movies now. I'd much rather just rent/buy movies.

With Netflix and the ability to download movies on systems like the 360, it's nice. Not to mention the quicker threater-to-DVD release date now.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
We went to Dallas this past weekend and went to see Night at the Museum Battle of the Smithsonian (surprisingly not bad BTW) and for three adults and two children it cost ~$41. With our snacks, it cost about $61 for about two hours of entertainment. That's simply insane.

For the record, I wasn't concerned with how much it cost prior to going in since this is the first time we've been out to the movies in a long time...but when we got the free refills, I looked at the prices and the Combo meal cost just as much as the individual prices. It was my fault for not doing the calculations prior to going in, but we were trying to make the 5 PM movie.

Two large sodas and a large popcorn for $16.75 and it probably cost $.50 to make. That's simply incredible.

Instead of going to Dallas, you should have went to Austin. Until we discovered the Alamo Drafthouse, we didn't really go out to the movies that much. And what makes that place special is that they serve food within the theater (restaurant style food) as well as a large selection of alcohol. So you can have dinner and a movie in the same place and don't feel as if you were ripped off. Check out this menu:
http://www.drafthouse.com/main/franchise/menu.pdf
Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I actually think movies are a good deal. I mean you end up watching a film that probably cost $50-$100 million to make for $10. I mean between the 5 of you, you guys had 2 hours of entertainment along with snacks and drinks for just over $10. I can't think of many nights out that can beat it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Instead of going to Dallas, you should have went to Austin. Until we discovered the Alamo Drafthouse, we didn't really go out to the movies that much. And what makes that place special is that they serve food within the theater (restaurant style food) as well as a large selection of alcohol. So you can have dinner and a movie in the same place and don't feel as if you were ripped off. Check out this menu:

One day we will have an Alamo Draft House down here. They started working on it two plus years ago, it is about 75% complete and has been for most of that time. Then the guy behind it ran out of money, then borrowed over $10 million against it, and then was foreclosed on. Word is this last week that someone is finally looking to buy it and finish it.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You must have better atmospheres than I get at most live events.

Turner Field sucks as a venue for actually watching baseball mostly because of the disinterested crowds who don't know nor care much about baseball, the Georgia Dome is 10x worse and could be bulldozed as a civic improvement afaic and I'm not really a fan of Phillips either to be honest (design is a little too vertical for my taste & the seats are like 4 inches wide). Not much "atmosphere" for an average game at any of them to be significant value added for me. My 11 year old gets different mileage from some of them but he's the only reason I ever even consider seeing a major league event in person any more.

Threadjack warning, but since I visited Philips back in October, my "European Perspective" is that it's really breathtaking actually walking into the seating-area, but the stuff around wasn't that great. Why can't you walk an entire 360 around the seating, btw? And the small stands of food/popcorn in the middle of walking areas? Just do them all integrated with the walls like the souvenir-stands etc.

Like I said though, getting into the seating-area was breathtaking at first.. the view was great and really cool. I didn't mind the vertical part of it at all, not once I got used to it . The main problem though, I think, was the fact that it was only half full! In my local arena here, which only takes 12,000, the atmosphere is ELECTRIC! Drums, chants, unison clapping etc. Some of that in Philips and it would be fantastic.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
were blessed/cursed with high def theaters here, which on top of being all digital, they serve beer to your seats. We can easily spend 50 bucks for 2 people.
Yeah, I took my mom to the AMC Cinema Suites for Mother's Day, and I'm now spoiled to that experience. Digital projection, eight-foot rows, very comfortable recliners and in-seat service. For prime-time it's $20/seat with a $10 ticket and a $10 food voucher. For weekdays, it's $15 with a $5 ticket. If you chose an appetizer of dessert (next time I'm getting the big brownie with two scoops of ice cream) and a drink, that's right at $10. We saw Star Trek and my ass was vibrating pretty much the whole time from the speakers under the seats.

We don't get out to the movies much anymore either but that was worth the extra money. Great experience.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just Red Box everything these days. I get there right when the new stuff goes active after midnight. Then I return them weds afternoon and spend a dollar to watch a movie
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And are you factoring in the atmosphere of a massive screen and huge ass speakers?

Huge-ass speakers that more often than not are so loud they can damage your hearing. That's actually why I hate going to movie theaters these days, it's too damn loud (and I'm one who cranks my music in the car). I feel old saying it, but they're usually too loud for me (though I think I have better hearing than most, judging by how others respond when they hear the music in my office).

But I've always hated movie prices. Around here a matinee is around 9 bucks and a regular show is about 11/12, depending on where you go, for a normal (non-IMAX) screen (that's without food). Wish there were a drafthouse more local to me.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 05-25-2009 at 04:43 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the 4 of us went to Night at the Museum on Friday. $31 for tickets, $16 more for food, $47 total. Not ridiculous for something we do very rarely (we might see 3 movies a year in theaters), but there's no way that could be a regular event.

I like the actual experience of seeing it in a theater, but I can do without needing to get there 30-45 minutes early to navigate the line and to find a seat, not to mention the dopes who think my seat back is a bass drum pedal. add in the $$$, the fact that a lot of movies I've seen lately are kind of "meh", and I end up watching most of my movies at home. Even then, I'm usually way behind - I just saw Dark Knight a month ago, for example.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 05-25-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Let's see. 4 people watching a $16.95 DVD two times, including all of the extra stuff, comes to about $2 per person. Haven't been a movie in theatres in years where I had to watch it right this second, instead of waiting for the DVD.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, I realized this when I went to see Star Trek not too long ago as well. I was astounded at how the food had gone up again. These days, I might see 3 movies a year on my own and so, I always forget.

I'd almost always rather attend a sporting event than go to a movie, but...I'd rather do the sports thing with other people, where I'd never mind going to a movie alone.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

thats true, but the theaters live on that.. Movies themselves only are a small part of the profit.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

Going to a movie has gotten to be so expensive that I almost never go to a first-run movie anymore and I love going to the movies.

I prefer second run and budget theatres, which is one thing I really miss about La Crosse. The Rivoli was awesome.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
thats true, but the theaters live on that.. Movies themselves only are a small part of the profit.

Actually in a lot of cases, the movies represent a likely loss, because the theatre's required to guarantee X number of tickets sold to even be able to carry the film if I remember right.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #23
MacroGuru
Coordinator

We do the Drive-In, that's it so our movie going lasts from May until September as a family...We generally go every other weekend.

5 of us in at the drive in is $22, we spend about $10 at the snack bar for Popcorn and Nacho's, we bring our own drinks in a cooler...which is sectioned, Daddy's drinks and the rest of the family drinks...
Old 05-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #24
Tigercat
College Starter

One thing I have definitely enjoyed since coming back home after living in Atlanta: I can see new movies, in a good theater, at night, for under $5 here. In Atlanta daytime prices were $8 or more.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #25
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Apparently the nearest drive-in to me is something like 90 minutes away. I miss the Winchester in Oklahoma City.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was paying around $8 at the well lit theaters in Shreveport.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #27
chinaski
College Prospect

I think for a 'regular' theater in Portland, its $10.50, matinee $8. I rarely see a typical movie in the theater, I generally only head out for what I think are must see movies like: Star Trek, Watchmen, Batman etc. Ever since seeing Dark Knight in digital hd, with full lazyboy stadium style seating w/beer and food, ill never go to another theater. well worth the price, being I dont go to many movies.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #28
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Let's see. 4 people watching a $16.95 DVD two times, including all of the extra stuff, comes to about $2 per person. Haven't been a movie in theatres in years where I had to watch it right this second, instead of waiting for the DVD.

You didn't factor in the fact that movies have sound now...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #29
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
You didn't factor in the fact that movies have sound now...

LOL! And don't forget color.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Yeah, Alamo Drafthouse is awesome. And they run all sorts of cool specials and features, like showing all the movies of a series in one showing, or have a famous director come to town and give a live commentary of a movie.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #31
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

No reason to go to the movies these days unless it's an IMAX. Not much higher cost, but a hell of an experience, visual and auditory(temper-pedic seats are nice too). I have one a quarter mile down the road from me. Makes average movies great.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-25-2009 at 08:26 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #32
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
No reason to go to the movies these days unless it's an IMAX. Not much higher cost, but a hell of an experience, visual and auditory(temper-pedic seats are nice too). I have one a quarter mile down the road from me. Makes average movies great.

I don't know about that. It's like saying there is no reason to go to a bar because you can drink at home for cheaper.

The movies is an experience. It can be fun to see a great comedy in a theatre with everyone laughing. Or an epic film with great special effects on the big screen. Not to mention it gets you out of the house and is a great, inexpensive date.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #33
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

You mean the huge ass speakers that the teenagers running them blare far louder than my ears can stand most of the time?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #34
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It's definitely good for the classic date flick. But, in my opinion of course, there are far better social environments than a giant room where you are very much discouraged from talking. That and it's just relatively inexpensive these days to setup an impressive home theater system, I think this is the main killer. Even if you don't have one, good chance a friend does.

Edit: Probably good for the kids too. Didn't really take that into consideration.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-25-2009 at 08:42 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #35
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
It's definitely good for the classic date flick. But, in my opinion of course, there are far better social environments than a giant room where you are very much discouraged from talking. That and it's just relatively inexpensive these days to setup an impressive home theater system, I think this is the main killer. Even if you don't have one, good chance a friend does.

Edit: Probably good for the kids too. Didn't really take that into consideration.

I should have been more specific. It's a great date flick if you are out with a hot chick who has no personality.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #36
Schmidty
Coordinator

We went to Night at the Museum today too. 2 adults and 1 kid - $25 to get in during the matinee, and that's not the worst part - 12 fucking dollars for a medium pop and medium popcorn. And that was a combo which supposedly saved me money.

Plus, the movie wasn't that great (although my daughter loved it), so that made it worse. The money didn't bother me as much when we saw Star Trek, because I felt like we got much more in terms of entertainment.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #37
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Huge-ass speakers that more often than not are so loud they can damage your hearing. That's actually why I hate going to movie theaters these days, it's too damn loud (and I'm one who cranks my music in the car). I feel old saying it, but they're usually too loud for me (though I think I have better hearing than most, judging by how others respond when they hear the music in my office).

But I've always hated movie prices. Around here a matinee is around 9 bucks and a regular show is about 11/12, depending on where you go, for a normal (non-IMAX) screen (that's without food). Wish there were a drafthouse more local to me.

/tk

How old are you . Damage your hearing! You want them to be freaking loud! I've never thought a movie was TOO loud. That's part of what I'm paying more.

Personally, I've never had a problem with movie prices. Inflation affects movies too... and $10 to watch a show is no big deal when you are paying for seeing it when it comes out as well as the massive screen and great (and LOUD) surround sound.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #38
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

That sounds pretty cool. The prices aren't too bad considering everything. Do you have a tray like on a plane that you can set your food on?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #39
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
We went to Night at the Museum today too. 2 adults and 1 kid - $25 to get in during the matinee, and that's not the worst part - 12 fucking dollars for a medium pop and medium popcorn. And that was a combo which supposedly saved me money.

Plus, the movie wasn't that great (although my daughter loved it), so that made it worse. The money didn't bother me as much when we saw Star Trek, because I felt like we got much more in terms of entertainment.

meh. I thought Night at the Museum was pretty good considering I didn't like the first one and my level of expectations was extremely low. That being said, it was definitely no classic like Gigli.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #40
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Do you have a tray like on a plane that you can set your food on?

No, there is a table for each group of seats. Plenty of space for food and drinks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #41
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
That sounds pretty cool. The prices aren't too bad considering everything. Do you have a tray like on a plane that you can set your food on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
No, there is a table for each group of seats. Plenty of space for food and drinks.

What cartman said. They have a table that sits in front of all the chairs. What's great about that is that there is no possible way someone can kick you from behind because there is plenty of space between since the theater waiter has to take your order and bring your food.

It's awesome because no one has to ever leave for snacks. You simply write down your order on a piece of paper and place it in these metallic paper holder on your table.

The first time I went, it was quite an experience because I have never been to a theater like this. First of all, instead of showing the usual advertisements as you wait for your film to begin, they show you clips of movies and/or shows that are related to the film you are watching. So, for example, when we watch the Hulk movie, they showed clips from the old television show with Bill Bixby and any sort of old Hulk cartoons. Then I look over to my right and see a couple sharing a bottle of wine over a plate of hot wings.

So basically, you actually enjoy going to the theater early based on the fact that you are guaranteed to see some crazy clips and get a chance to eat some food ahead of time.

And yeah, they have events that I also haven't seen at other theaters like the Air Sex Championships, Quote-A-Longs (where they show a highly quoted movie and have people go into their lines while boozing away), Sing-A-Longs (where you could sing the hits of your favorite artist or decade while getting hammered), Master Pancake Theatere (in which they take an old movie and rip it. Just think Mystery Science Theater), film festivals (like right now they are having some Erotic Film Festival going on), TV shows (which are free to go into, but you have to spend at least $5 on food) and if that is not enough they usually have actors/directors down there to talk about their film.

So basically if you are gonna spend $61 on a movie, you might as well get a good meal out of it so you wouldn't have to spend more money afterwards.

Last edited by Antmeister : 05-25-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My wife and I saw Star Trek on an IMAX here for 14.50 a couple of weeks ago but we just accepted the fact that we're paying a premium to see that on the big screen opening weekend.

We have a nearby theater that we can get into for $9 or $7.25 matinee (tho they cheat a little with matinee being before 3pm, not the usual 5-7pm) and that's not too bad.

Or the historic Byrd- tho I realize not everyone has something like that in their city- but my wife and I just went and saw Coraline there this weekend for $2. That you just can't beat. Everywhere should have a second run or last chance theater but I know in Lawrence, our closest one was in Topeka which just wasn't worth it ($10 of gas for $1 movie tickets...)

Really, tho, it comes down to the food. You bought food and are complaining about the price? This isn't a news flash- "food" at any captive event- sports, movies, hotel, convention, etc- is going to cost too much. We all know that so it seems kindof silly to complain about it. Hell, you don't get the food and it's $8 per person which seems fairly reasonable.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-25-2009 at 10:31 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #43
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It seems that one of the best ways to save is not to eat their crappy, way overpriced food. Movie ticket prices are actually a good deal, with great visual and audio experience. But no one really needs to eat, do they? Can you eat beforehand or wait a couple of hours? That would really cut down on costs and complaints.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #44
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Alamo Drafthouse sounds awesome. I haven't been to a movie theater in years but I'd definitely give that a shot if there were any locations close by.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But no one really needs to eat, do they?

Remove the concessions & a great deal of the ambience is gone IMO. Or I should say "at least to me it is", that's not so much an opinion as a personal preference.

No chance in hell I'm going to smell the popcorn & be able to enjoy the movie wishing I had it, I'd sooner not go at all. As far as the movie itself, movies I'd feel any great sense of loss not seeing come around maybe once or twice in a decade, as long as the movie is halfway decent it's almost secondary to the overall experience. And it isn't just the concessions, if you remove the coming attractions from the experience it's diminished to me as well.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-25-2009 at 11:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #46
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Any other reason I don't like going to theatres - having to smell the popcorn. To each one's own.

Now sneaking in a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups is altogether different.

To me, the bonus materials (and commentaries) are worth it.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 05-25-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #47
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
It seems that one of the best ways to save is not to eat their crappy, way overpriced food. Movie ticket prices are actually a good deal, with great visual and audio experience. But no one really needs to eat, do they? Can you eat beforehand or wait a couple of hours? That would really cut down on costs and complaints.

Yea, I agree with this. I remember as a kid in the 80s my mom bringing bags of m&m's in her purse for me and my sister when we went to the movies so we could still have snacks, we'd buy a big drink there and share it.

I've also known people that consider drinks/popcorn/snacks at the movies to be an integral part of the "movie going experience" which I just don't get at all. To me that just means you can't go to the theater as often. But that's clearly just personal preference, you just have to budget more if buying stuff there is part of the experience.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #48
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
What cartman said. They have a table that sits in front of all the chairs. What's great about that is that there is no possible way someone can kick you from behind because there is plenty of space between since the theater waiter has to take your order and bring your food.

It's awesome because no one has to ever leave for snacks. You simply write down your order on a piece of paper and place it in these metallic paper holder on your table.

The first time I went, it was quite an experience because I have never been to a theater like this. First of all, instead of showing the usual advertisements as you wait for your film to begin, they show you clips of movies and/or shows that are related to the film you are watching. So, for example, when we watch the Hulk movie, they showed clips from the old television show with Bill Bixby and any sort of old Hulk cartoons. Then I look over to my right and see a couple sharing a bottle of wine over a plate of hot wings.

So basically, you actually enjoy going to the theater early based on the fact that you are guaranteed to see some crazy clips and get a chance to eat some food ahead of time.

And yeah, they have events that I also haven't seen at other theaters like the Air Sex Championships, Quote-A-Longs (where they show a highly quoted movie and have people go into their lines while boozing away), Sing-A-Longs (where you could sing the hits of your favorite artist or decade while getting hammered), Master Pancake Theatere (in which they take an old movie and rip it. Just think Mystery Science Theater), film festivals (like right now they are having some Erotic Film Festival going on), TV shows (which are free to go into, but you have to spend at least $5 on food) and if that is not enough they usually have actors/directors down there to talk about their film.

So basically if you are gonna spend $61 on a movie, you might as well get a good meal out of it so you wouldn't have to spend more money afterwards.
Very true and we'll have to check it out if we get near one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Really, tho, it comes down to the food. You bought food and are complaining about the price? This isn't a news flash- "food" at any captive event- sports, movies, hotel, convention, etc- is going to cost too much. We all know that so it seems kindof silly to complain about it. Hell, you don't get the food and it's $8 per person which seems fairly reasonable.
For us, the popcorn and drinks are part of the movie experience (along with either not drinking the drink until the movie starts or holding your pee for the last 15 minutes of the movie). This had been the first movie we had seen as a family in a movie theater together in almost two years, so the expectation was to get food. When the popcorn/drinks cost about $.50 to make and they're charging ~$16, that's an unbelievable profit.

FWIW, we don't really watch movies any more because our experience at home is much of the same. One of the best purchases we made was buying a movie theater-sized popcorn popper at Sam's Club. We can make movie theater-quality popcorn for very little money. It's really nice to pop in a DVD and get the same experience.

The first post in the thread was more sticker shock than anything else since we hadn't been to a movie in a long time. I think the Alamo Drafthouse sounds like a great experience and probably worth the cost, considering the prices on the menu.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #49
ColtCrazy
College Starter

There are occasional movies that warrant a big screen showing. The recent Star Trek movie is one, and all Bond movies are for me (Harry Potter for the wife). But Netflix has pretty much become our theater for most other movies. We are so behind on going to the movies that we keep a nice rotation going.

I've also done what a lot of others have suggested. We eat right before the movie, and I skip snacks now (though I still get a drink even though I really don't need a bathtub of Coke for the movie).

We do have one drive in here, about 30 minutes away. It's very popular and a lot of people drive from here to it.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #50
Sgran
High School Varsity

I love going out to the movies. What puts it over the top for me is the obligation to turn your phone off. How many of you devoted home-viewers do that in your home theater?