Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Sgran
High School Varsity

Sacred movie, long-term contest

There was a fun run in a recent thread about least-favorite sequels. It was fun for me, anyway, up until I hit a post that hit me like a ton of bricks: there was a sequel to Bachelor Party. Bachelor Party? Bachelor Party! I rose up and shouted to the heavens, "Is nothing sacred anymore?!!!!" After 2.3 seconds I realized that we're talking about Hollywood here, where the obvious answer was, "of course not, you fool."

But it got me to thinking: is there a sacred movie out there? Never a remake? Never a sequel? I thought this would make a fun long-term contest. Find a movie that has never had a sequel and never been remade. And when it's day comes, you fall out of the running. After interest in the thread has died, we leave the thread like a time capsule and exhume it every few years to see who is still standing.

To illustrate, I'll make my selection: The Incredibles. By all accounts, I should be one of the first people to lose. Surely there will be a sequel. The film could be absolute dog crap and it would clear a hundred mil, easy. Yet there's no sequel. Why? I think it's because Brad Bird believes he made a perfect movie and the thought of blemishing it in any way makes his stomach turn. And I respect that to no end. For him, that film is sacred.

So what have you got? Personally, I think it should probably be illegal to choose a movie based on a historical event because a remake could be consider simply a different take on a historical event rather than a remake. For example, I wouldn't consider Titanic a remake even though several films had been made with the same theme. On the other hand, The Last of the Mohechans was a remake because it was based on a book, as was the previous film.

Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Interesting concept.

I would have to pick "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" I've always hated Last Man Standing for being a pseudo-ripoff of A Fistful of Dollars.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is just a basic concept. Good vs. Evil with the nitwit thrown in there. Great story and epic movie, but no other movie has tried to match it. We've had a million buddy flicks, or good vs. evil, but nothing with the concept that this movie had.

I'm a big Spaghetti Western fan and would loathe the day someone tried to remake this.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I like the concept too. I'm in.

I'll stick with Eastwood and go with Kelly's Heroes. It's so chronologically disjointed (counter-culture characters in the middle of World War 2) that if anyone did try to remake it, I think they'd be doomed to failure.

And interestingly enough, if you think about it, the showdown with the tank at the end really is a "remake" of the showdown scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (the score is even the same IIRC), though that certainly isn't enough to disqualify ColtCrazy's nomination above.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 05-13-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Hookt on fonix werkt fo me!
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

actually, I also was going to go with Eastwood and say Unforgiven
Old 05-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

Every Which Way but Loose

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
SteveMax58
College Starter

"What's eating Gilbert Grape" is my choice.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Juno
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
ColtCrazy
College Starter

So it's settled...don't mess with Eastwood movies.

Kelly's Heroes would have been my 2nd choice. I see no way how that could be redone (though 3 Kings has some parallels it's not really close) and still be successful.

Unforgiven would be a toughie too.

And if you want to go away from Eastwood, I think Blazin' Saddles would be impossible to remake now.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I can think of a couple of movies you could not remake because of their plot twist (Fight Club) or the structure (Memento.)

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
I can think of a couple of movies you could not remake because of their plot twist (Fight Club) or the structure (Memento.)

You could make the same argument about Psycho I think, but remember we are talking about $$$Hollywood$$$ here.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 05-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok I'm kidding, Juno isn't a good candidate... but I'd probably pick something messed up like Southland Tales. No way that'll be re-made.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
You could make the same argument about Psycho I think, but remember we are talking about $$$Hollywood$$$ here.

Good point.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
To illustrate, I'll make my selection: The Incredibles. By all accounts, I should be one of the first people to lose. Surely there will be a sequel. The film could be absolute dog crap and it would clear a hundred mil, easy. Yet there's no sequel. Why? I think it's because Brad Bird believes he made a perfect movie and the thought of blemishing it in any way makes his stomach turn. And I respect that to no end. For him, that film is sacred.
It took four years for Toy Story 2, and that was a rush job that I don't think Pixar would do again. It will be 11 years for Toy Story 3. Pixar movies take about four years of development, so the sequels are slower. But I'd guess you will see The Incredibles 2 in the next decade. That might be fun to guess too ... what movie without a sequel or remake will get done next?

I was initially thinking that there are no sacred cows but I can see that there are some movies that will never be touched -- The Unforgiven guess is a good one.

In that vein, give me Dances With Wolves. God I hope no one touches that. Not because I loved the last one but the world doesn't need another three-hour Kevin Costner butt-nummer.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 05-13-2009 at 04:56 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I was about to say The Last Starfighter, but looks like a sequel is in the works...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
You probably will lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bird
“I love the world. I love the characters, and if I could come with a story that was as good or better than the original, I'd go there in a second. I have pieces of things that I would love to see in a sequel, but I haven't got them all together yet, and I certainly wouldn't want to come out there with something that is less than the original.
It took four years for Toy Story 2, and that was a rush job that I don't think Pixar would do again. It will be 11 years for Toy Story 3. Pixar movies take about four years of development, so the sequels are slower. But I'd guess you will see The Incredibles 2 in the next decade. That might be fun to guess too ... what movie without a sequel or remake will get done next?

I was initially thinking that there are no sacred cows but I can see that there are some movies that will never be touched -- The Unforgiven guess is a good one.

In that vein, give me Dances With Wolves. God I hope no one touches that. Not because I loved the last one but the world doesn't need another three-hour Kevin Costner butt-nummer.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Birth of a Nation?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Damn KC.. your first post was so good, you just had to go and F it up with a sequel didn't you?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
hoopsguy
General Manager

Shawshank Redemption is my pick. Dead Poets Society as runner-up.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm shocked they never sequelized independence Day. I figured the aliens would come back at some point
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #20
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

History of the World Part 1
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #21
hawk4669
High School JV

Reservoir Dogs would be my pick. Love the movie and it chills me to think of the characters being replaced by today's young Hollywood actors. I just think they'd glitz and stylize it up too much and lose the essence of the movie.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #22
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Interesting concept.

I would have to pick "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" I've always hated Last Man Standing for being a pseudo-ripoff of A Fistful of Dollars.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is just a basic concept. Good vs. Evil with the nitwit thrown in there. Great story and epic movie, but no other movie has tried to match it. We've had a million buddy flicks, or good vs. evil, but nothing with the concept that this movie had.

I'm a big Spaghetti Western fan and would loathe the day someone tried to remake this.

Kinda funny, considering 'Fistfull of Dollars' is nearly a scene-for-scene remake of the samurai movie 'Yojimbo'.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is the third film in the "Dollars" trilogy.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
Bad-example
College Starter

Driving Miss Daisy. I guess it could get a remake someday, but I am pretty certain there won't be a sequel.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Shawshank Redemption is my pick. Dead Poets Society as runner-up.

It's only a matter of time before "Shawshenk 2: The Search For Brooks"

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:30 AM   #26
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Passion of Christ.

unless they decide to to a sequel...

The Passion of Christ 2: Return of the Christ.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #27
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Pulp Fiction...unless I read the rules wrong (completely possible), book it. They would remake Reservoir Dogs before they remade Pulp Fiction, and they would make a sequel before they ever made a Pulp Fiction sequel.

EDIT: I guess a sequel to Reservoir Dogs would be pretty tough, seeing as how pretty much everyone died. The only way to make a sequel I'd guess would be involving Harvey Keitel's son (may not even exist). Of course, it would be an abomination.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 05-14-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #28
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Every Which Way but Loose

I hate to break this to you, but this movie has a sequel: Every Which Way You Can.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #29
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

There Will Be Blood
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #30
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Vision Quest
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #31
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
There Will Be Blood
But it has a great built-in title: There Will Be More Blood
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #32
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Has Daniel Day-Lewis ever done a sequel/remake?
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #33
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hate to break this to you, but this movie has a sequel: Every Which Way You Can.

Sigh. Any Which Way You Can.

And The Incredibles was clearly set up for a sequel at the end. How that could be considered "sacred" is beyond me.

Highlander would have been my choice until they destroyed it. Kelly's Heroes was an inspired choice above.

When you gave the Last of the Mohicans, it wasn't because it was based on a book right, but rather that there was another movie based on the same book? If that's the case, I'm choosing:

The Princess Bride
Old 05-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #34
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Oh, and if you're going to start this, it's your responsibility to edit your first post with everybody's selections, and mark off the losers as they go by the wayside. It's going to be fun when this thread gets dug up in 5 years to cross someone off the list...
Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #35
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Vision Quest

Hopefully if this does happen they can find a cameo for a 70 year old Madonna putting a surprisingly fresh/new take on 'Crazy for You'.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #36
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Put me down for E.T.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #37
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Put me down for E.T.

Does that count given that they went back and edited it? Just the removal of the shotguns seems like a violation of the "Is nothing sacred?" principal.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #38
DanGarion
Coordinator

Usual Suspects.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #39
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Usual Suspects.

Good one. I can only hope that Hollywood knows to leave well enough alone, especially when it comes to a damn-near perfect movie.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #40
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Sigh. Any Which Way You Can.

And The Incredibles was clearly set up for a sequel at the end. How that could be considered "sacred" is beyond me.

Highlander would have been my choice until they destroyed it. Kelly's Heroes was an inspired choice above.

When you gave the Last of the Mohicans, it wasn't because it was based on a book right, but rather that there was another movie based on the same book? If that's the case, I'm choosing:

The Princess Bride

yes, "any". realized it right when i hit the submit button, but figured someone else would correct me.

As for the set-up to an Incredibles sequel, that's exactly my point. Every day that goes by is a miracle that the sequel hasn't been made yet. It's sacred and that's final.

And yes, I said Mohicans because it was based on the same work as the previous movie, and therefore it was a remake, whereas Titanic was merely based on the same event.

As for Princess Bride, I like that pick. Very risky, could be remade. I'm seeing Orlando Bloom. And are we completely sure there was never a straight-to-video sequel?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #41
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Good one. I can only hope that Hollywood knows to leave well enough alone, especially when it comes to a damn-near perfect movie.

yeah, uh, welcome to Hollywood
Old 05-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #42
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Does that count given that they went back and edited it?
This movie has been formatted to fit your tv.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #43
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Pulp Fiction...unless I read the rules wrong (completely possible), book it. They would remake Reservoir Dogs before they remade Pulp Fiction, and they would make a sequel before they ever made a Pulp Fiction sequel.

EDIT: I guess a sequel to Reservoir Dogs would be pretty tough, seeing as how pretty much everyone died. The only way to make a sequel I'd guess would be involving Harvey Keitel's son (may not even exist). Of course, it would be an abomination.

True...I was thinking more along the lines of a remake and not so much as a sequel. But, Mr. Pink did make a getaway. Hmmmm....

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #44
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

There was some talk of a Vega Brothers movie a few years past. And when you consider that both PF and RD live in the same universe(i think it's the "Realer than real world") it's not much of a stretch that PF or RD would become at least somewhat incorportated into a new picture at some point in the future.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #45
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There was some talk of a Vega Brothers movie a few years past. And when you consider that both PF and RD live in the same universe(i think it's the "Realer than real world") it's not much of a stretch that PF or RD would become at least somewhat incorportated into a new picture at some point in the future.

Oh yeah I forgot about that Vega Brothers concept with...was it Michael Madsen?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A Jules movie could happen at some point I would think. And yeah. Madson was Vic Vega I think.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #47
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

To Kill a Mockingbird

Saving Private Ryan
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #48
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Princess Bride

This was my default initial answer as well. I did go and do some research in case I missed something that would disqualify it already and I didn't see anything, but...

Quote:
The epilogue to some later editions of the novel, notably the 25th anniversary edition, mentions a sequel, Buttercup's Baby, that was having trouble getting published because of legal difficulties with S. Morgenstern's estate. This sequel seems to be just as fictional as S. Morgenstern's unabridged edition, though later editions actually reprint Goldman's "sample chapter"[3]

The chapter consists of a disjointed assemblage of stories about the quartet's escape to 'One Tree Island', and the eventual kidnapping of Waverly, Westley and Buttercup's daughter, by a skinless-faced 'madman' who eventually throws her off a mountainside. The chapter ends with Fezzik, Waverly's appointed babysitter, leaping off the mountain to save her, and then cradling her to preserve her from the impact that seems certain to spell at least Fezzik's doom. Also noteworthy is a flashback to Inigo's past, his training as a swordsman, and his one-time romantic love interest.

The 30th anniversary edition of The Princess Bride included hints to the sequel's plot, and a promise to have the full version completed before a 35th anniversary edition (2009).
In a January 2007 interview, Goldman admitted that he is having difficulty coming up with ideas for the story:[4]
MPM: I hear you're working on a sequel to The Princess Bride called Buttercup's Baby.
William Goldman: I desperately want to write it, and I sit there and nothing happens and I get pissed at myself. I got lucky with The Princess Bride the first time, and I'd love to get lucky again.[4]

I simply can't see a remake being done, but if he finishes Buttercup's Baby, I'm sure somebody would be itching to put that on film. Goldman is 77 so he may not have another novel in him anyway.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Another good stipulation would be that the movie could easily be sequelized. The main character dying in a period piece is just not a good jumping off point. Now if that person had a brother or something that was focused on its more legit

Anyways. I will pick Leon (the Professional). Plenty of room to make a Matilde movie. I doubt it happens.
For a more popular movie I will pick Independence Day. ID5 could easily happen but I will bet not.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #50
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Freddy Got Fingered