Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

10.5 weeks

Yup we're pregnant with our first and probably at the worst time financially. My community is going to finish out this year after a 5 year run and the wife is still just trying to get the tires turning on the real estate career:

FirstCoastHomeHunters.com

Anyways, were excited as can be and Im nervous. I believe Ill be birthing a new company next year too and this one could make or break the family so that's great.

She took some pee test that said it's 90% accurate and it said it's a boy....I'd love a boy but of course Ill take either and be just as happy but every dad wants to have the next All Star.

Anyways....Question:

How soon after having a child can one travel, a long plane flight, with a new born? 3 months? 6? 9?

Thanks and please dont post anything on Facebook since we are telling her dad on Monday night.

WOOHOO!!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-02-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Anyways....Question:

How soon after having a child can one travel, a long plane flight, with a new born? 3 months? 6? 9?

Hm. It'll really come down to how your child is from a personality/neediness perspective (our kids are high up on the neediness scale, i.e. not long on self-settling though they've gotten better as they got older), though I think it may be at least a couple of months. We traveled from Michigan to North Carolina by car a month after our first one was born and it was a pretty tough trip to make. However, she was better able to handle a trip we took up to Douglas Lake in northern lower Michigan by Valentine's Day (about three months old).

I can't really say how that would play out in relation to plane flights because we pretty much avoided them on cost (and the lack of space to bring back birthday/holiday loot), though we did do it a few times, but nothing very long, perhaps one or two hours (Detroit-Raleigh/Charlotte/Greensboro, Detroit-Ottawa once). She was able to handle the flight to Ottawa okay when she was about nine or ten months.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

congrats
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Lorena
Unregistered

Grats Flasch!!

It's always nerve wracking having the first kid, but you'll be alright, things always have a way of working out.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Good luck. I'm sure he will be adorable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola. Is 3R going to lose his bedroom to the baby?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

LOL

3R has decided to move down South to live in a parents free townhome while trying to get started in Massage Therapy BUT she could stay if she wants or come back if the move doesnt work out. We're going to try and find another R to take her spot....the home is a 4BR. Pretty difficult losing her rent right now too...ugh, my stomach hurts.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, congrats man.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Congrats, man.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

congrats man!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

As the father of 3 boys, I would like to say congrats. I love my boys, and while I wanted a girl, if we had another, I would want another boy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Would you like some underpants?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Many congratulations
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Icy
Pro Starter

Big congrats!

About the trip in plane i think it's 3 months minimum, but not sure, as we haven't flied since our baby was born. We did long trips by car (6 hours) when he was 3 months old and it was fine. The key is to feed him as usual and maybe a bit more to compensate for the fluids loss, specially when you fly as you are supposed to lose more water because the pressure and conditioned air (or that is what i have read).

Anyway you should ask your flying company as they might have a minimum age requirement. If they are fine they will also provide you an special belt to tie the baby to your chest when taking off and landing.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Big congrats!

About the trip in plane i think it's 3 months minimum, but not sure, as we haven't flied since our baby was born. We did long trips by car (6 hours) when he was 3 months old and it was fine. The key is to feed him as usual and maybe a bit more to compensate for the fluids loss, specially when you fly as you are supposed to lose more water because the pressure and conditioned air (or that is what i have read).

Anyway you should ask your flying company as they might have a minimum age requirement. If they are fine they will also provide you an special belt to tie the baby to your chest when taking off and landing.
Congratulations.

Not that it really matters but those 'special belts' are banned by the FAA. If it's a US domestic flight, you cannot use them.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

On behalf of everyone everywhere who really hates sitting next to the crying baby on the plane, how about 5 years and that's only if you can keep them quiet at that point?

Seriously, tho, congrats

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-03-2009 at 02:18 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Congratulations man
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anyways....Question:

I don't think there's any medical reason why you can't travel shortly after birth (as in as early as 1-2 weeks of age). From what I've read, try and feed the baby prior to traveling (or if possible during takeoff / landing to help their ears adjust to the pressure). You'll probably find that traveling with an infant is far easier than when they're older because they'll sleep almost the entire time. Our daughter was much easier when she was 3-6 months old than between 6-18 months old (when it was hell and very tiring to travel with her).

Congrats on the pregnancy. Your child will be a few weeks younger than our second.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Congrats!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Congratulations Flasch! Get that kid into child modeling!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats.

On the travel bit. 3 to 6 months is no trouble at all. Essentially you should check with a doctor, but there shouldn't be any trouble there.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #22
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
On behalf of everyone everywhere who really hates sitting next to the crying baby on the plane, how about 5 years and that's only if you can keep them quiet at that point?

Seriously, tho, congrats

SI

Incidentally, I was you some years ago. Right up until I had a kid. Now it doesn't bother me at all (it's probably some relief that it's not mine that's crying. I've been relatively lucky that our daughter rarely cries on a plane.)
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #23
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Congrats!!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Congrats!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #25
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Many congrats man.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

1: Congratulations, may you enjoy all the best a child brings to your life, and the worst too, everyone should suffer a little....

2: Keep your infant OFF of airplanes unless it is absolutely the ONLY way to get where ever you're going. First reason: they're ears don't handle pressure changes as well as bigger kids (4-5 + years) and it can create very painful ear pain. Second reason: Infants unless drugged heavily, tend to decide when and where they want to scream and a plain is NOT the place for that. Lastly: the burden on you and your wife to drag around erevrything you need for the babe and manage to get through airports and on and off of the planes is NOT worth the stress and annoyance it causes.

Take a train, DRIVE, seriously, I do NOT recommend taking an infant anywhere NEAR a plane.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #27
Flasch186
Coordinator

Render, Im dreading it anyways but it's cross country so a flight is really the only option....my brother's wedding which he's tempted to move to be at my and my wife's convenience, baby wise.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

Take a vacation, rent a nice big van or small RV, stop at campsites along the way =) Be the best trip of your life.

Going on a plane might well be the worst =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My experience (and most of my friends too) has been that travelling with a baby is easier than with a toddler. As long as they have a boob to suck on, they're pretty happy.

Been lucky enough to avoid ear problems, though. That would change the equation in a hurry.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #30
SegRat
High School Varsity

Congrats Flasch. Being a dad is the best. My sons first word was Momma, however he has only said it a very few times. His favorite word right now is Daddy.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #31
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Render, Im dreading it anyways but it's cross country so a flight is really the only option....my brother's wedding which he's tempted to move to be at my and my wife's convenience, baby wise.

Congrats!!

Regarding the traveling thing...my first daughter was born in May three years ago and I was to be the best man in my brother's wedding in July of that same year. So, we flew 4.5 hours home...with one stop...and I was nervous as hell. Luckily, we were able to borrow most of the baby gear from friends at home so we didn't have to lug all that much on the plane but I was still nervous about the crying and disturbing everybody else. Well, she was a saint...like somebody said earlier, feed them while you take off/land and with any luck, they'll sleep the majority of the way.

We recently flew with both my girls...2 and half and 6 months, at the time...and again, the youngest was no problem while the older one was a little trickier to handle...we just had to keep her occupied and she was fine.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 05-04-2009 at 12:07 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #32
JeeberD
General Manager

Congrats! Way to go Flasch!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #33
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Flasch. I don't know if your real last name is Flaschen but if it is, you should name your kid Gangsign.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #34
chesapeake
College Starter

Congrats, Flasch!

We flew cross-country with my daughter when she was 5 months and again at 7 months. We bought all three seats and fastened her car seat into the plane seat by the window, which wasn't difficult at all. She was great, and we didn't have to worry about the poor SOB that was stuck in the row with us because there wasn't one.

Sucking helps with the ears, so plunk in the pacifier before takeoff and descent.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yeah, as long as you have a pacifier or boob available on takeoff and landing, the baby shouldn't have any ear issues. Our daughter is now two years old. Flew as early as two months and has taking at least 8-10 flights already, including a three leg flight from KC to Honolulu. No problems at all if you come prepared. She loves to fly now.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #36
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Flasch, that's great news.

I belive my parents flew with me when I was ~3 months old. Obviously, I don't remember it, but given how many issues I have with pressure equalization even now as an adult, I can only imaine that I was a nightmare to fly with. I will note that my folks didn't fly with my brother or sister until we were older, in the 4-8 years range. That may have been because they learned a lesson with me, or more likely, the economics of flying with 3 young children.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #37
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Congrats! Get your sleep now!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #38
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Congrats!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

For a second there, I thought Mickey Rourke was making another movie.

Congrats!