Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
Havok
College Starter

CM4 Help........

ok... im completely lost right now. The manual's walkthrough doesnt teach you a dam thing!!! The size and depth of this game is unreal.

Anyway, my question is....... Im getting ready to play my first friendly of the year and it says i need to "set my squad numbers". What does that mean?? i already have my starting lineup set-up. It wont let me play the friendly until i do it.

Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

I believe it means give out jersey numbers.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
Easy Mac

Re: CM4 Help........

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
ok... im completely lost right now. The manual's walkthrough doesnt teach you a dam thing!!! The size and depth of this game is unreal.

Anyway, my question is....... Im getting ready to play my first friendly of the year and it says i need to "set my squad numbers". What does that mean?? i already have my starting lineup set-up. It wont let me play the friendly until i do it.

It is basically jersey numbers you give out to your players, saying they are eligible to play in that specific competition. I think you should be able to click on a link in the news section to do this.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

THere should be a button to press (like "continue" or "set numbers") right on that screen. That just means you have to assign your players a jersey number before starting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:35 AM   #5
Easy Mac

damn Bee
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:36 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Damn both of youse...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:45 AM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm just happy I guessed correctly.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:31 AM   #8
Havok
College Starter

well... i've been playing for about 2 hours now and i gotta say im completely lost. They really need to have a better walkthrough for beginners. I've read the entire manual and im still confussed.

I guess they do that so you'll buy the hint book. God i hope someone comes out with a CM4 walkthrough website soon.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:36 AM   #9
henry296
College Starter

Havok,

Marc Vaughan puts together a great guide for beginners. I don't know if the CM4 version is available, but the one for CM3 should be a good start. You can get it at www.sigames.com

Todd
Old 04-01-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
moriarty
College Starter

Havok,

There is a bit of a learning curve for first time users. Definitely download the guide mentioned above (check downloads, CM3 for the guide). It's a great overview.

And if you have any general questions, just post them and we'll try to help you out. After a few months (game time) you should start to feel comfortable.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

If you ever give up on it, I'd gladly take the devil off your hands.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:37 PM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Guide - I'm working on it on and off, but obviously supporting the game and fixing any reported flaws is very important at the moment and is taking up most of my time.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #13
moriarty
College Starter

Marc,

Any word on fixing the reported problems with the MLS Superdraft?

(Some folks were reporting it was 'broken')
Old 04-01-2003, 08:15 PM   #14
Havok
College Starter

Dam.... i just got done reading the CM4 boards. Its pretty dam hostle over there. Apparently they are some major bugs people are pissed about.

Its seems that its almost impossible to sell players on the transfer wire reguardless of how good they are and how little you try to sell them for.

There also seems to be some scoring bug. Im not sure what the bug is i just heard some people complaining about it.

Those fans over there are almost fanatical. When someone complains they practicaly bite there head off and vice versa.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:55 PM   #15
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Havok,

Don't get frustrated with the depth of the game. This is the fifth version of CM I've bought and there is still a bit of an overwhelming feeling to the game. Once you play around with it for a while, though, you should be ok. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs on that forum; like you said people there tend to take one extreme or the other, they either hate the game or they will never say one bad word about it. A lot of the 'bugs' reported in CM are just the results of people's opinions on how the game should be represented not meshing with the way it is actually presented. This may be the case with the transfer bug, as transfers in real life are down dramatically due to much less income being brought into the teams through television and such. That's just a guess on my part though, I haven't been over to those forums in a while.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:59 PM   #16
Havok
College Starter

im just upset with the maual in general. It does you almost no good. It basically throws you into a seriously complex game and expect you to figure it out for yourself. I've played CM4 for about 5 hours now and i havent had a bit of fun yet. Mainly because i have no clue whats going on.

My assistant coach gets an offer and leaves my club. Ok no problem ill go sign another one. I go to the staff transfer screen and make a couple offers to unemployed coachs and none of them accept my offer. I have no idea how much to offer them because they dont give you a general idea of how much the coach wants. So here i am.... 2 week into the season and i have no ass. coach, One normal coach and 1 scout.

The book does nothing to explain different tactics. It just kinda says "the Tactics are really complicated in CM.... we hope you figure them out!! good luck!!"

I have no clue how to promote my guys from the reserve team to my main squad. I know how to demote them... just not promote them.

I was bidding for a guy on the transfer market. I bid 40k.. the team said no... we want 45k for him. So i offer 45k and then they reject the offer?? not sure what thats all about.

In friendly games should i play my main team the whole game?? or should i play my back ups??

i have a billion more questions... but i guess this will do for now.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:43 AM   #17
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Assistants: One thing to remember is that not all coaches/players will want to play for just any club. If you are playing a low level English Conference club, you are not likely to attract the big name coaches to come to your club, for example.

First filter out the garbage you don't want anyway. Look for an assistant that has at least 10 in man management and 10 in working with youngsters. You can do this from the filter screen. You can also filter so that only assistant managers show up. You might also want to filter so that only managers from your country show up. Next sort by Club/Nation and go to the bottom of the list where there is a "-" listed as the Club/Nation. These are the assistant managers without any jobs at the moment. The next part is to go through them and find any that are interested. In CM3, there was an interested filter that made this a lot easier, but unfortunately that has been taken out. What I would do is change the view to attributes, see who has the best overall stats (remember to go back down to the bottom of the list, as it will reset when you change to attributes) and offer them a contract. When you do, it will say at the top under contract negotiation, how much that assistant expects, or it will say if he is not interested in signing or if you can't match his wage expectations. Continue until you find an assistant that will sign with you.

Promote: Promoting is done the exact same as demoting. From the squad screen you can right click on the player and change his designation (Senior, Reserve, U-19). What I suspect is happening is that your reserve and u-19 teams are filled with grey players. These players are just fillers or place holders. They don't represent real players and therefore cannot be promoted or demoted anywhere in your squad. If you can demote a player from the main squad, you should be able to see that a) you can promote him back up, and b) he has a whiter name than the other grey players on your reserve squad.

Tactics take some time to learn. I've been playing the game for years and following it just as long, and still don't have a grip on the tactics. Unfortunately, the best way to learn is just to play, make mistakes, and learn what everything does. If you have specific questions about tactics, don't be afraid to ask.

Not sure about the change in bidding. I think that just might be a quirk. Usually a team will let you renegotiate if they have an asking price. Haven't got that far in CM4 yet, but that is the way it was in CM3.

As for friendlies, you want to play a mix of your squad. It's just like preseason in any north american league, cept that you want to get your main squad into game shape. I usually play my main squad for the first half and a bit, and then sub them all out and let youngsters or fringe players have a shot to show me what they've got. Run easy tackling and take it easy on your players as you don't want to get any injuries. If you notice any of your main squad getting low in condition, sub them out.

It's easy to get frustrated at the game. I know I was lost when I first picked it up, but there is a lot of help out there. I'm happy to try to answer any of the 'billion' questions you might have
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:19 AM   #18
3ric
College Starter

Tactics in CM4 has become an exercise in knowing each individual player's role on the field instead of just positioning them and pull some arrows, as in CM3.

My current tactic, for example, is a 442 as the base and have both attackers on attacking mentality and to close down on opponents all the time, because I want them dogging the defenders and chase for the ball.

The two interior midfielders is one DMC and one AMC, the DMC is set to "Ultra defensive" mentality, short (safe) passing and hard tackling while the other has "Attacking" mentality and easy tackling. They share responsibility to give me the best of both worlds at the position.

The defenders either has "Stand off" or "Own half only" as the "Close down" setting as they aren't supposed to tackle unless absolutely necessary. If they miss, then the goal is exposed from that area.

Be careful with forward runs as they can pull your team too far away from their positions. Study the 2D view and learn from how they move according to their responsibilities. If a guy get too tired, then maybe he's being asked to do too much at a time.

Read the threads in the Tactics forum over at sigames, that's a far more sensible area than "General discussion".
Old 04-02-2003, 03:01 AM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

Havok,

Keep in mind the game is gaining popularity over here, but it's main audience is in Europe. The terms used in the game are commonplace over there.

The reverse works as well. (I love the thread where the people in England simply couldn't figure out what a draft was or why we'd have it) You need to cut them a little slack on the manual. If you released an NFL game over here, how much time would you spend on the advantages of a pro set offense vs. a run and shoot offense? Not much. If you released it in Europe it would be a different story. Only the most die hard European NFL fans are going to know what the terms 3-4, 4-3, nickel, dime, trips right, twist, dog, fly, curl, etc. mean.

I feel your pain. It took me multiple attempts at CM before I really got into it. If you give it time, I think you'll like what you see.

Good luck

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:18 AM   #20
Havok
College Starter

Thanx for all the help guys, i was just getting a little frustrated.

Quote:
You need to cut them a little slack on the manual. If you released an NFL game over here, how much time would you spend on the advantages of a pro set offense vs. a run and shoot offense?

I never really thought about it like that. I guess it makes sense considering us yankee's dont know a dam thing about soccer.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:00 AM   #21
aquavit
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
I never really thought about it like that. I guess it makes sense considering us yankee's dont know a dam thing about soccer.

Speak for yourself.
aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:03 AM   #22
Havok
College Starter

hehe ok most of us yankee's
Old 04-02-2003, 08:09 AM   #23
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
The next part is to go through them and find any that are interested. In CM3, there was an interested filter that made this a lot easier, but unfortunately that has been taken out.

Yeah, that's one of the more annyoying things about this version. For players, the option for your assistant to filter out the more unlikely players has much the same effect and is probably more realistic, but there's no equivalent option for coaches. Couldn't they have come up with something similar to the option we have on the players?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:13 AM   #24
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm surprised that was taken out. That was a great filter option. Maybe Marc can comment?
Old 04-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #25
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Stick to it Havok!

Your posts are echos of my thoughts from two years ago when I got my first version of CM.

As you learn the game it will become more and more addictive. I have received my CM4, but I'm in the middle of a great career in CM3! So now I'm playing two versions!!

I CAN (for the moment at least) still remember my wife's name, but the little kids at the breakfast table.......I'm not so sure.

Keep the questions coming...we'll get ya hooked yet!
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:58 AM   #26
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

With all the buzz about CM 4, I decided to get out 01/02 and give it another try. I never broke through to enjoyment the last time I played it.

I tried to get the above mentioned guides. They still listed under the downloads on SI games, but they don't work anymore.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #27
Havok
College Starter

im starting to get the hang of it now. I started a new game and im 1-0.

Quick question.... where can you see how good a player will be in the future?? I've got quite a few young hot prospects but it doesnt say how good they might turn out??? Is the players value the only way of judging??
Old 04-02-2003, 10:54 AM   #28
henry296
College Starter

Havok,

Ask you coaches for a report on each player. There really isn't a potential rating like most games.

Todd
Old 04-02-2003, 10:59 AM   #29
moriarty
College Starter

Havok,

I can't recall if you can 'scout' your own players, but you can get the coach's opinion on them. Find a coach with high scores in 'judging potential'.

Then right click on the player name, select 'coaches report' (or something like that) and select the coach/coaches you want to review the player.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #30
Havok
College Starter

ok cool... will do

thanx
Old 04-02-2003, 11:43 AM   #31
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
With all the buzz about CM 4, I decided to get out 01/02 and give it another try. I never broke through to enjoyment the last time I played it.

I tried to get the above mentioned guides. They still listed under the downloads on SI games, but they don't work anymore.

You can try The Dugout. They are a good resource for CM stuff. I'm having trouble getting through right now, so I can't say they have the quide for sure, but I would assume that they would. They also have a bunch of other resources to help you out (most of it still probably related to CM01/02).
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:09 PM   #32
Calis
College Starter

Just an fyi, I think the Dugout is pretty much dead. They've been way overloaded the last few days, go figure.

I haven't been able to get there for quite some time.

Also, I swear there's still a way to filter out those not interested, I think there's a filter for unrealistic prospects, which is basically the same, I'll have to check again though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:41 PM   #33
Katon
College Benchwarmer

The filter for unrealistic prospects - which does much the same thing as the "Interested" filter and is probably more realistic - only works on the player search. It isn't there for coaches.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #34
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Katon
It isn't there for coaches.

And that is a pain in the rump.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:35 PM   #35
Katon
College Benchwarmer

No argument here.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:55 PM   #36
aquavit
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I'm surprised that was taken out. That was a great filter option. Maybe Marc can comment?

Yeah it's odd they decided to take out all the great filtering. Also they took out the match X of Y attributes on the player search screen which is so cool. I would be interested to see what Marc says specifically about this.
aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote