Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
BradS
n00b

A Glimmer of Hope for Playoff

Quote:
Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, who has introduced legislation that would prevent the NCAA from labeling a game a national championship unless it is the outcome of a playoff, bluntly warned Swofford: "If we don't see some action in the next two months, on a voluntary switch to a playoff system, then you will see this bill move."

Putting some heat on the BCS

BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Unbelievable.

Maybe Congress should just determine the national champion.

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2009 at 04:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
BradS
n00b

Whatever it takes!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

So the theory is that calling the NCAA champion "national champion" is fraudulent or misleading?

And why should Boise St. and Utah have access, and not division II or III schools? Isn't it the NCAA that allows those schools to be division I in the first place?

Worst case, the NCAA could just change the name, or promote the BCS schools to a higher, super-division.

I'm also thinking I should get some kind of punitive damage award in years when the Super Bowl isn't really "Super".

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Go big government, 16-team playoff ftw

edit: it looks like they want an 8-team playoff

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-01-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
BradS
n00b

You make some interesting points but my point is more in line with teams like an undefeated Auburn(few years back) who were shut out with what amounts to splitting hairs or a few less style points. BCS system is lacking in more than one way.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Go big government, 16-team playoff ftw

edit: it looks like they want an 8-team playoff

So I guess they want 7 automatic bids and a wild card?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think this whole scenario is bullshit unless the government wants to take over the whole thing. Let the government determine the schedules of every game, let them pick the playoff teams, let them decide who plays on television, etc., etc. Hell, I'd give them control over television scheduling just to see which conferences get the most national coverage. Given how much they're sticking their noses into this, I would hope that I could see bottom feeders from the Sun Belt just as much as the Big Ten.

Michigan vs. Ohio State, my ass. Give me Louisiana-Monroe vs. Western Kentucky!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

System ain't fixing itself, that's for sure.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Unbelievable.

Maybe Congress should just determine the national champion.

It would be no worse than the current system.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So the theory is that calling the NCAA champion "national champion" is fraudulent or misleading?

And why should Boise St. and Utah have access, and not division II or III schools? Isn't it the NCAA that allows those schools to be division I in the first place?

Division II and Division III have national championship games. Each team is eligible to win the NC before the season. That is not the case in D1 which is why it's tough to call it a national championship.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Atocep
Coordinator

MLB should have to change the name of the World Series and professional sports in the US should stop calling their championships a world championship.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
MLB should have to change the name of the World Series and professional sports in the US should stop calling their championships a world championship.
That isn't what I got out of it. I think they are saying that it's not really a championship if every team participating in the league doesn't have a shot to win it.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I think this whole scenario is bullshit unless the government wants to take over the whole thing. Let the government determine the schedules of every game, let them pick the playoff teams, let them decide who plays on television, etc., etc. Hell, I'd give them control over television scheduling just to see which conferences get the most national coverage. Given how much they're sticking their noses into this, I would hope that I could see bottom feeders from the Sun Belt just as much as the Big Ten.

Michigan vs. Ohio State, my ass. Give me Louisiana-Monroe vs. Western Kentucky!

It's not about scheduling and fairness necessarily. It's about antitrust issues and unfair business practices.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That isn't what I got out of it. I think they are saying that it's not really a championship if every team participating in the league doesn't have a shot to win it.

If the NCAA doesn't do what the gov't wants then they plan on introducing legislation to prevent them from using the term "National Championship". Then professional sports should be forced to do what I said above.

Just because people want to see a playoff doesn't mean they should be cheering on congress in this case. They have no business getting involved here.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
If the NCAA doesn't do what the gov't wants then they plan on introducing legislation to prevent them from using the term "National Championship". Then professional sports should be forced to do what I said above.

Just because people want to see a playoff doesn't mean they should be cheering on congress in this case. They have no business getting involved here.

The NCAA operates as a monopoly and our government intervenes in them from time to time when something is deemed unfair.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #17
MJ4H
Coordinator

I would support Hitler if he was for this at this point. It is beyond ridiculous.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The NCAA operates as a monopoly and our government intervenes in them from time to time when something is deemed unfair.

That's fine, as long as they step in and prevent other sports from using misleading names for the championships as well I'm fine with it.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

The system should be changed, but the government shouldn't force it to be. They should stay out of it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The system should be changed, but the government shouldn't force it to be. They should stay out of it.

If a bad system won't change on its own, it's the job of the government to make it change.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's fine, as long as they step in and prevent other sports from using misleading names for the championships as well I'm fine with it.

No offense, but seems kinda like a petty little thing to get worked up about. Like a cop giving a server a ticket, so next time the server takes care of a fireman, he serves him lukewarm coffee and says, "Take that!"

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Well, you guys have fun.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

A playoff system is long overdue, it should have been implemented when the NCAA put in scholarship limitations on every team. I think they should have an auto bid for each of the conference winners. If you don't make it then you can play in a bowl game.

Speaking of bowl games they need to be reduced because it is oversaturated right now.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I think they should have an auto bid for each of the conference winners. If you don't make it then you can play in a bowl game.

11 conference winners, five wild cards determined by something similar to the current BCS rankings, seeding done by the same rankings.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #25
SnDvls
Pro Starter

so are they going to then mandate a 256 team basketball tournament so "almost" every team has a chance there too?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No offense, but seems kinda like a petty little thing to get worked up about. Like a cop giving a server a ticket, so next time the server takes care of a fireman, he serves him lukewarm coffee and says, "Take that!"

Yet its not petty for congress to tell the NCAA what they can call their championship just because Texas got left out and the MWC wants an auto bid? If Texas had played for the national title last season and the MWC conference had an auto-bid then Orrin Hatch and Joe Barton wouldn't be saying a damn thing righw now.

I'm not ok with the gov't stepping in and dictating what our sports do. They had no business getting involved with steroids in baseball and they have no business telling the NCAA what they call their championship game or how they should go about choosing it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #27
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

In basketball all a team has to do is win its conference. In football a team can win the conference unbeaten for the season and still get screwed. There is a big difference.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #28
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
In basketball all a team has to do is win its conference. In football a team can win the conference unbeaten for the season and still get screwed. There is a big difference.

no they must win their conference tournament...big difference.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #29
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I don't have a problem with a "playoff"

I also don't have a problem with the system as it is now

I have a problem with how the selection will happen for the participants for the "playoff".

the bill wants to "make it fair" but there isn't a way to do that.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #30
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

winning the conference = winning the conference tournament that decides the conference champion (unless there is no such tournament and regular season standings decide the winner)
Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yet its not petty for congress to tell the NCAA what they can call their championship just because Texas got left out and the MWC wants an auto bid? If Texas had played for the national title last season and the MWC conference had an auto-bid then Orrin Hatch and Joe Barton wouldn't be saying a damn thing righw now.

I'm not ok with the gov't stepping in and dictating what our sports do. They had no business getting involved with steroids in baseball and they have no business telling the NCAA what they call their championship game or how they should go about choosing it.

If Congress doesn't get involved with the steroid issue, nothing happens, and we still have a game acting like there's no problem.

And if the MWC and Texas gets those two Congressman off of the playoff horse, they'll be replaced by the senators from Idaho or Hawaii, or whoever's state senator who gets left out. That's a straw man, Atocep, and irrelevant to the issue. I know you can construct a logically valid argument better than going with that.

I have no problem with your stance, although I disagree with it. I do have a discussion-level sorta problem with you resorting to some side argument, like what other sports leagues call their champions, as some sort of support for your stance, which frankly does a really poor job of it. There are better arguments to be made.

Edit for clarity: Your "stance" as described by you in the second paragraph above quoted.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-01-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #32
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
winning the conference = winning the conference tournament that decides the conference champion (unless there is no such tournament and regular season standings decide the winner)

so SW Mary & Joseph's School for the Dumb that went 0-23, but wins 3 games in a row deserves a shot over James Dumb U. who went 15-0 in league play but got unlucky in their conference tournament?

I don't have a problem with how the NCAA tournament is, but think the person presenting the bill is showing a double standard in how he wants football run, but not basketball/baseball/softball/hockey etc.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
so are they going to then mandate a 256 team basketball tournament so "almost" every team has a chance there too?

The basketball tournament doesn't leave out teams that could not only possible win it all, but could be among the favorites to win it all.

No one outside of the 65-team field this year was going to win the championship if inserted arbitrarily into the field, and that can probably be asserted all the way back to at least when the field was expanded to a 64 team field 25 years ago or so. And every team does indeed have a chance to force their way in, and without resorting to polls.

Can't say that in football, where every year, several potential champions are left to play meaningless bowl games, or even left out of the BCS altogether, and with teams in conferences that can't force their way into the picture without once in a lifetime type of seasons (and even then, not enough, see Boise State, Utah, Hawaii, BYU, etc.).

Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #34
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't have a problem with how the NCAA tournament is, but think the person presenting the bill is showing a double standard in how he wants football run, but not basketball/baseball/softball/hockey etc.

How or why would he legislate other sports? No one seriously questions the fairness of how these other sports determine their champions (except maybe to try to build up irrelevant arguments to support their flawed backing of the current D-1 college football system).

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #35
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
The basketball tournament doesn't leave out teams that could not only possible win it all, but could be among the favorites to win it all.

No one outside of the 65-team field this year was going to win the championship if inserted arbitrarily into the field, and that can probably be asserted all the way back to at least when the field was expanded to a 64 team field 25 years ago or so. And every team does indeed have a chance to force their way in, and without resorting to polls.

Can't say that in football, where every year, several potential champions are left to play meaningless bowl games, or even left out of the BCS altogether, and with teams in conferences that can't force their way into the picture without once in a lifetime type of seasons (and even then, not enough, see Boise State, Utah, Hawaii, BYU, etc.).

but you're leaving someone out and that is the point of the bill. Go for it all. Does team #9 have a shot to win it, probally? What about team #10? Then they'll expand the playoff to 16 teams and team #17 will bitch about it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #36
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
so SW Mary & Joseph's School for the Dumb that went 0-23, but wins 3 games in a row deserves a shot over James Dumb U. who went 15-0 in league play but got unlucky in their conference tournament?

It might be flawed but at least every D1-A team can make it to the championship or playoffs that decide the championship in basketball. College basketball conference tournaments v. deciding winners by regular season standings aren't really what we're talking about here though.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #37
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
but you're leaving someone out and that is the point of the bill. Go for it all. Does team #9 have a shot to win it, probally? What about team #10? Then they'll expand the playoff to 16 teams and team #17 will bitch about it.

I'd rather have the #17 team bitch than the #3 team.

Not that I support government action in this.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #38
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well, if the #9 ranked team is undefeated and still missing out, they might have a point.

Top 8 BCS teams get in. I wouldn't be opposed to conference champs getting the higher seeds once the 8 are picked.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:54 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, the point of the bill is to force action, because the BCS does not seem inclined to do it on its own. If the BCS wants to avoid the bill, they can devise their own playoff in the manner they see fit that meets whatever minimums the writers of the bill intend--so long as it finally gets the system to some sort of a legitamite playoff.

As for that last, it's a tired and worthless argument (no offense, it just is, I know you're trotting out the party line, so hopefully you don't take offense). The "arguing 16 vs 17" line is one of the entrenched flawed arguments for the current system, which completely and irresponsibly ignores the fact that the current system has us arguing over 2 vs 3.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #40
molson
General Manager

Quote:
If a bad system won't change on its own, it's the job of the government to make it change.

It's a sport, and a private entity. Why should they be allowed to run things the way they want?

What if Congress doesn't like the MLB playoff structure, or the season length of the NFL?

It's mind-boggling to me that people want the federal government legislating sports. We're not talking about drugs, or gambling, or rigging games, we're talking about the way a collegiate athletic association awards championships.

It's a little creepy how much some people want a playoff.

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #41
molson
General Manager

Quote:
No, the point of the bill is to force action, because the BCS does not seem inclined to do it on its own. If the BCS wants to avoid the bill, they can devise their own playoff in the manner they see fit that meets whatever minimums the writers of the bill intend--so long as it finally gets the system to some sort of a legitamite playoff.

There's no constitutional right to a playoff, I don't know why you're talking about it like it's some kind of entitlement. There's plenty of arguments on both sides - this is like any other sports discussion: DH/No DH, day v. night World Series games, how much should the QB be protected in the NFL, etc.

Though, at the end of the day, this is all obnoxious grandstanding, it will NEVER happen. It's a huge waste of time and an insult to taxpayers that they're even having committees on such a thing.

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #42
molson
General Manager

Quote:
If Congress doesn't get involved with the steroid issue, nothing happens, and we still have a game acting like there's no problem.

Congress didn't do anything about steroids, aside from some committee meetings and a report. Certainly no actual legislation that I'm aware of.

In congresspeople want to have an opinion about playoffs, great, everyone can have an opinion. But for the love of god, they shouldn't force their opinion about a playoff system on the country.

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #43
molson
General Manager

Quote:
11 conference winners, five wild cards determined by something similar to the current BCS rankings, seeding done by the same rankings.

Anything that includes the Sun Belt Champion in a final 16 is a complete joke.

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #44
molson
General Manager

Quote:

It's not a "bad" system if it's the system that works for most of the participants.

The purpose of major college athletics is to make money.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #45
molson
General Manager

It's interesting that the proposal is for an 8 team playoff. How does that help access? How often is a non-BCS team one of the best 8 teams in the country? How does this increase access for the Sun Belt conference? If Troy gets into a playoff over the #2 team in the SEC, maybe the SEC should go whining to congress, because that clearly isn't fair either.

What about independents? How can we guarantee fair access to Army and Navy? Maybe the winner of the Army/Navy game should get in? What if Congress decides that the service academies in the playoffs is good for national morale, and just legislates them in?

Congress needs to find something more important to do. I have some suggestions if they can't think of anything.

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #46
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

It would be much better than the current system, which is the real joke.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #47
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It would be much better than the current system, which is the real joke.

That's just an opinion. And it's not shared by those who have the right to actually execute the idea. You're just a fan. You can spend your money somewhere else if you don't like it.

Who should pay the money lost by the NCAA, bowls, conferences, and universities if they're forced to have a playoff? Taxpayers?

This isn't about fraudulent advertising or whatever. It's just about preference. Maybe you don't like how a movie ends. The government shouldn't force the movie to end a different way. Maybe you don't like that McDonald's stops serving breakfast at 10:30. The government shouldn't force them to change that.

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #48
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I disagree. Sure, almost any team in the SEC or the Big 10 would certainly be better, but they didn't win their conference and thus got eliminated. If you win your conference, you get a shot no matter what. If you don't win, then you might get a wilcard spot, but don't count on it.

I still think it was ridiculous that Nebraska played in the title game in 2001 when Colorado won the conference and beat them 62-36.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This position is ok, but then the government should be out completely. That means no anti-trust protection, no public funding for stadiums, etc.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #50
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Who should pay the money lost by the NCAA, bowls, conferences, and universities if they're forced to have a playoff? Taxpayers?

I'd argue that a 16 team playoff would make tons of money, and bowls would still exists for teams that don't qualify.