Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

14-year-old 'surgeon' to present findings today

http://jacksonville.com/news/2009-04...today#comments

Quote:
A Jacksonville researcher has developed a way of sewing up patients after hysterectomies that stands to reduce the risk of complications and simplify the tricky procedure for less-seasoned surgeons.

Oh, and he's 14 years old.

Feel free to read that again.

Tony Hansberry II is a ninth-grader who, as it happens, will be presenting his findings today before an auditorium filled with doctors just like any of his board-certified - and decades older - colleagues would. He would say he was following in the footsteps of "Doogie Howser, M.D." - if he weren't too young to have heard of the television show.

Instead, he says that his remarkable accomplishments are merely steps toward his ultimate goal of becoming a University of Florida-trained neurosurgeon.

"I just want to help people and be respected, knowing that I can save lives," said Tony, the son of a registered nurse mom and an African Methodist Episcopal church pastor dad.

To be sure, he had some help along the way, but, then again, most researchers do. The seeds of his project were planted last summer during his internship at the University of Florida's Center for Simulation Education and Safety Research, based at Shands Jacksonville.

To understand why a teenager would be a hospital intern, it's important to know that Tony is a student down the street from Shands at Darnell-Cookman Middle/High School, a magnet school geared toward all things medical. (Students, for example, master suturing by the eighth grade.)

At the simulation center, where medical residents and nurses practice on dummies, the normally shy student warmed up to the center's administrative director, Bruce Nappi. In turn, Nappi, a problem-solver with a Massachusetts Institute of Technology aeronautics degree, found someone willing to learn.

One day, an obstetrics and gynecology professor asked the pair to help him figure out why no one was using a handy device that looks like a dipstick with clamps at the end, called an endo stitch, for sewing up hysterectomy patients. In other procedures, it proved its worth for its ability to grip pieces of thread and maneuverability.

What Tony did next is so complicated that the professor who suggested the project has to resort to a metaphor to explain it: "Instead of buttoning your shirt side to side, what about doing it up and down?" Brent Seibel said.

Here's the literal explanation: The problem was that the endo stitch couldn't clamp down properly to close the tube where the patient's uterus had been. Tony figured that by suturing the tube vertically instead of horizontally, it could be done. And he was right.

Nappi said he came up with the idea but didn't tell Tony, letting him come to the conclusion himself.

"It was truly independent that he figured it out," Nappi said, adding that a representative for the device's manufacturer told him that the endo stitch had never been used for that purpose.

Tony's unpracticed hands were able to stitch three times faster with the endo stitch vs. the conventional needle driver. Further study may prove whether the same is true for more experienced surgeons, Seibel said.

In addition to cutting surgical time, the technique may help surgeons who don't do many hysterectomies because it's easier to use the endo stitch, he added.

Tony's presentation today is part of UF's medical education week, a time to spotlight teaching advancements, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Tony often speaks in the highly technical, dispassionate language of doctors. In that respect, he's not the exception but the rule at Darnell-Cookman, said Angela TenBroeck, the school's medical lead teacher. But he has surged ahead of others when it comes to surgical skills.

"I would put him up against a first-year med student," she said. "He's an outstanding young man, and I'm proud to have him representing us."

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I like the stripper story better.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I have to say I found this story heart warming - its great to hear a positive story about young people ... it'd be nice if more were put out in the media imho.

(yeah I DO feel old talking about 'young people' like that .... bah in my day )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

damn, some nerds will do anything to see naked ladies
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

Very cool.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Autumn
Head Coach

Hmm, up and down instead of side to side. Time for an addendum to my Home Surgery Manual.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

Glad to see Simulation Education and Safety Research finally getting the credit it deserves.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
damn, some nerds will do anything to see naked ladies

Great story!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Tony Hansberry II, 14, displays the tools he uses in the minimally invasive hysterectomy procedure, which he has only performed on dummies.

Don't the writers consider the feelings of those women?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Don't the writers consider the feelings of those women?

Well what else are you supposed to call women who let an unlicensed 14 year old operate on them?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Nappi said he came up with the idea but didn't tell Tony, letting him come to the conclusion himself.
Riiiiggghhhhtttt.

Kid... "How about this great idea?"
Professor... "Uh yeah... I thought of that to."

Last edited by heybrad : 05-01-2009 at 12:53 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Doogie, is that you?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Easy Mac

At what point did "II" replace jr. for the second person born with a name? I think I'm going with something more proper, like "the 2nd" or "the deuce". Or maybe just double up the whole name, or go with squared.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, that's impressive.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, go with the deuce. Then you can say such things like I'm dropping the deuce off at school..
Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
At what point did "II" replace jr. for the second person born with a name? I think I'm going with something more proper, like "the 2nd" or "the deuce". Or maybe just double up the whole name, or go with squared.

I believe they mean separate things. Carl Rogers II means the second in the family with the same name, but not necessarily sequentially. Junior means the same name as the father. So, if you're named after your grandfather or something you're a II.

Dropping the deuce off sounds good though.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
http://www.behindthename.com/faq.php#junior

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-01-2009 at 02:18 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
Crim
College Benchwarmer

So far this thread delivers

RIP
Old 05-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe this isn't the best place, but I just heard last night that my friend teaches a kid named L-a, pronounced La-dash-ay. We decided the mother missed the opportunity for L', pronounced Lapostraphay
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

I'm a 'II' because I'm named after an uncle, FWIW.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm a 'II' because I'm named after an uncle, FWIW.

Dammit, I thought you were the plural of Radius!!!

RIP
Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Maybe this isn't the best place, but I just heard last night that my friend teaches a kid named L-a, pronounced La-dash-ay. We decided the mother missed the opportunity for L', pronounced Lapostraphay

Um, okay. But, laying aside the silliness of it for a second, shouldn't it be El-dash-ay?

Back to the silliness, are we coming to a point where someone will eventually punish their kid with an "artist formerly known as Prince" symbol for a name? Has it been done yet?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Look at the picture again. This has nothing to with surgery. They're just having fondue.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #24
Sgran
High School Varsity

L&er
Lampersander
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #25
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Look at the picture again. This has nothing to with surgery. They're just having fondue.

I LOL'd
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote