Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

UBA - Restarted (this can be deleted, mods)

After reading a book on the history of baseball, I had an idea that I wanted to play around with in OOTP.

The concept: What if the Federal League and United States Baseball League merged in 1912 and gained a strong enough foothold to become the dominant major league?

I'm using all fictional players, and I'll use history as a rough guide. No real rules here. I'm not playing as a team, just kind of playing god and watching how things unfold. I might make a trade or two for certain teams if it looks like an obvious one.

Anyway, basic setup is this:

United League (based on USBL)

Washington
Chicago
Richmond
Cincinnati
Reading
New York
Cleveland
Pittsburgh

Columbia League (based on Federal League...Columbia was the original name)

Buffalo
Newark
Brooklyn
Chicago
St. Louis
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Kansas City

I'll have a few written pieces to deliver backstory...I'm not the greatest writer but it should do enough to give some background. I have a ton of this written on blogspot already so expect maybe fifty posts to happen rapid-fire

Also, just so you know, I do end up doing a little copy and pasting from OOTP's news generator. For example, when a player hits for the cycle, I'll usually just use the OOTP text.

Hope some of you follow along and enjoy.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-20-2009 at 02:00 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

New Baseball League on the Horizon

February 2, 1910

Harry F. Sinclair, Phil Ball, and George S. Ward made news today when they announced that a new major league was being formed and will begin play in 1912.

They did not announce a name for the league, but did release some information. According to Sinclair, the league would feature six teams for the inaugural season. Four potential locations for that team were also named. Brooklyn, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis were on the list.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Another New Baseball League on the Way

February 13, 1910

In what looks like a reaction to the February 3rd announcement of a new major league from Harry F. Sinclair, we have now heard of another announcement of a new baseball league that is planned to begin in 1912.

While we do not have the information on who is starting this venture, we do know that it was organized by a group that met in New York's Hotel Imperial.

Not much information is available, but we do understand that plans call for an eight team league with teams in Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New York, Reading, Richmond, and Washington, D.C.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

More Details, League Officialy Named

February 14, 1910

In a 20-minute press conference, Harry Sinclair, Phil Ball, and George S. Ward unveiled more details on their brand new baseball league.

For starters, the league will be called the "Columbia League."

The Columbia League will feature eight teams, two more than previously announced. In addition to Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Brooklyn, franchises have also been awarded to owners in Baltimore, Buffalo, Indianapolis, and Kansas City. However, they did state that the locations were not final due to financial issues.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

New Information on United States Baseball League

February 22, 1910

The United States Baseball League. That is the name of the new league from a mysterious ownership group. The founders and financiers of the league have not announced their identity as of yet, but have sent a spokesperson to the media to give more information on the new league.

Rudolph Ellard made the announcement today that the league would be known as the "United States Baseball League."

"Our goal is to stress the inherent good of baseball for all individuals and communities," Ellard said. "We wish to conduct our business in the accepted capitalist-free competition in the marketplace."

The league is slated to begin in April of 1912 in direct competition with the American and National Leagues of Major League Baseball, as well as the Columbia League, set to start the same year.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

USBL, CL Merge

January 1, 1911

After staying quiet for just under a year, Harry Sinclair announced today that his upstart Columbia League will be merging with the other upcoming league, the United States Baseball League.

Sinclair was sure to make it clear that all franchises would still be intact. According to the new plan, the league will be called the United Baseball Associations League.

There will be two sub-leagues. The United League will feature the eight original USBL franchises. The Columbia League will do the same, giving the league a total of sixteen teams. The winner of each league will face off in a best of nine series known as the Presidents Cup Series.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

More UBAL Details Emerge

April 2, 1911

The United Baseball Associations League (UBAL) held a press conference in the early morning last week to give in depth details on what they plan for the league.

In January of next year, the sixteen teams will be assigned draft slots using a lottery system. The 1st round, the first team will pick and move on until the sixteenth pick is made. Then, the sixteenth team will select first in the 2nd round. It will continue in this manner until all teams are full.

The rules allow 25 players to be on the active roster. This means that to play in a game, a player must be listed on the active roster. Each team has also been designated a "D-team," or developmental team. Those team's are allowed to hold 35 players, whether they are reserve veterans or newly drafted rookies.

Speaking of the draft, each June 15th an amateur draft will be held. The draft will last 5 rounds.

The league spokesman also went into detail about player contracts. To put it simply, when a player begins play on a major league team, his "service clock" begins. As soon as he reaches three years on the active roster, he is eligible to allow an arbiter to determine what his fair value is. As soon as the player reaches six years, he is eligible for free agency. That means he can choose to re-sign with the team, sign with a different team, or leave the game. The UBAL expects this to keep players happy and also provide entertainment for fans as they can root for their team to go after free agents.

As for the future of the league, Harry Sinclair was cautiously optimistic about what was ahead. "I really hope we can pull this off," he said. "We've worked our tails off to get a league that will feature some of the games best talent and some of the games, well, the best games! If it succeeds, I can see us expanding into different markets. Maybe we can add a few franchises to the league a few years down the line. I am already in contact with potential owners."

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-20-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Inaugural Draft Set to Begin

January 2, 1912

Well, for anyone who has been following the start of the United Baseball Associations League, the inaugural draft begins tomorrow at noon in the league's New York City office.

Representatives from all sixteen teams have arrived and are ready to select the players that they believe will lead them to a Presidents Cup title.

The draft order has been finalized, and the first pick of the draft will come from the New York franchise of the United League.

Check back tomorrow for information on the first pick of the UBAL draft.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

New York Franchise Selects...

January 3, 1912

The first pick has been selected, and the New York franchise has taken:

Richard Norton, a 24 year old first baseman.

Norton looks like a very solid pick. He's young, so you can build around him for the future. From what we've seen, He is an excellent contact hitter already. His power is there but will get even better. He will strikeout a bit too much and his defense is a little shaky. He's also one of the slowest players we've seen play, but his bat does all the talking.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Indianapolis Franchise Moves to Newark, NJ

January 23, 1912

In a surprising late minute move, the Indianapolis franchise, owned by league founder Harry Sinclair, has moved his team to Newark in an effort to "crack the New York City" market.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Spring Training to Open March 2

February 2, 1912

The UBAL has announced spring training games for it's 16 franchises. They will square off against each other in preparation for the inaugural 1912 season.

The first regular season games will take place on April 1st. Washington, Newark, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Richmond, and Brooklyn will host the leagues first games.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Spring Is Here!

March 2, 1912

And that means baseball!

We've all been waiting for this time of year to arrive. Whether your a fan of the American and National leagues, or are getting excited for something new, baseball is finally here.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

A Look at UBAL's Top Prospects

April 1, 1912

With opening day right around the corner, we'd like to take a look at the future of the league. If the UBAL wants to compete with the other major leagues, they need to keep the talent coming up into the big leagues. Here are the top five prospects to look out for in the next few seasons.

1. LF Cesar Gomez. Pittsburgh (CL). 20 years old

Gomez was taken in the 1st round of the inaugural draft. Pittsburgh was definitely look at him as a piece of the puzzle not only for right now, but for at least the next six years. When this guy reaches free agency, someone will pay him a ton. But for now, Gomez needs to refine his skills. He's lightning quick and plays an absolutely stellar outfield, but he needs to work on his patience at the plate.

2. SP Paul Castaneda. Reading. 18 years old

Castaneda was selected in the 7th round by Reading, but we think he'll be the type of guy that ends up looking like a 1st rounder. He is incredibly raw right now, and he'll start the season in the D-League. We think he'll end up being a control type pitcher rather than one that will just dominate with his stuff, but right now he tops out at 94 mph which is definitely good enough to succeed.

3. 1B Richard Norton. New York. 24 years old

The only reason this guy isn't number one is because he's not really a prospect anymore. This guy is a known commodity and still has three or four years before he hits his prime. If the league does well, New York should have the money to keep Norton around for a long time. We've said it before; this guy speaks with his bat, and that's about it, but he's going to put up monstrous numbers.

4. CF Antonio Villa. Cleveland. 23 years old

Villa is a speed/power combo. He is incredible fast so he has a ton of range in center but his arm is fairly weak. He won't hit for a great average, but he will walk a good amount and I could see him hitting 30, maybe even 40 home runs and also pickup 40 steals. He was taken 6th overall by Cleveland and I think the pick will pay off in a big way for them.

5. C Mauro Cruz. Cleveland. 22 years old

Well, Cleveland looks like they're set at two spots for the long term. Cruz was selected in the 2nd round and while he definitely has some refining to do, he will already make an impact on the big league club. Cruz is an absolute stud defensively. He's solid with the bat but will get better as he gains experience. Right now he has some nice gap power but that should develop into home run power. He will strikeout a good amount and also doesn't have the best discipline at the plate, but his defense and power will make up for it.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-20-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

First Pitch Thrown

April 1, 1912

Jose Anruvio of the Washington franchise just threw the first pitch in UBAL history. After throwing a ball on a 1-2 count, Anruvio struck out Cleveland's Travis Brown for a strikeout.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Baltimore's Ladner Sizzles with Cycle

April 29, 1912

"It's too bad I can't do that every day," Derrick Ladner said with a smile to reporters after today's game. "It would do wonders for my batting average." Ladner had every right to be in a good mood after hitting for the cycle today against Pittsburgh. Baltimore won the ballgame 13-6, he hit for the cycle, had a 4-for-6 game and boosted his batting average up a few points. The 25-year-old Baltimore catcher chalked up 4 RBI and 4 runs scored for the game, too.

Who says you can't have it all?

He told the press that a triple is the tough hit to get in a cycle. "As soon as it left the bat, guys jumped off the bench and were rooting hard for me to have enough gas to get there," Ladner said. "It was hard to enjoy it... I was breathing too hard... you got to really be in shape to run out a triple."

Ladner hit an RBI double in the 1st, hit a two-run home run off J. Franco in the 2nd, flied out in the 4th, tripled in the 6th, flied out in the 7th and hit an RBI single in the 9th.

Ladner is currently batting .231 with 3 home runs and 12 RBIs. In 25 games he has reached base at a .274 rate and scored 10 runs to date.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

April Awards

May 1, 1912

Here are our awards for the month of April:

United League

UL Batter of the Month: 2B Donald Morris, Chicago.

Morris hit .409 with 45 hits in 110 at-bats. He racked up 3 home runs, 23 RBI's, and scored 27 runs.

UL Pitcher of the Month: SP Tomas Duran, Reading.

Duran was an impressive with a 1.82 ERA, went 5-0, and struck 38 batters in 49.1 innings. He only gave up 36 hits and 6 walks.

Columbia League
CL Batter of the Month: 1B Luis Rivera, Newark.

Rivera stroked 55 hits in 111 at-bats for a .495 average in April. He hit a whopping 16 home runs, drove in 43 and scored 29 times.

CL Pitcher of the Month: SP Tom Anderson, Newark.

The 33 year old went 5-0 in 6 starts, struck out 35 in 44 innings, and posted a 2.05 ERA.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-20-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

After One Month...

May 1, 1912

In the United League, Chicago is off to a hot start. They've won 7 of their last 10 games and are in first place with a 17-10 record. Four teams are bunched up between 2 and 3 games back, but Reading, New York, and Cleveland are all struggling.

Cleveland sits at the bottom with a 10-17 record.

In the Columbia League, Chicago, Buffalo, and Newark are battling at the top of the standings. Newark is 1gb, but we have seen what their pitching can do and their first basemen Luis Rivera has been absolutely dominating, winning the April Player of the Month with 16 home runs. We're a month into the season and Rivera is projected to hit 89 homeruns. While we're sure he will drop off, it's still an amazing feat to hit 16 home runs in one month.

Kansas City sits at the bottom of the CL standings at 10-17 and have lost 8 of their last 10.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #18
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Osorio Extends Hit Streak to 20 Games

May 5, 1912

He did it again!

Jesús Osorio got another hit and ran his hitting streak to 20. He collected 2 hits in 4 at-bats, but that wasn't enough to win the game. Chicago was defeated 4-2 by Washington.

During the recent streak, the 25-year-old center fielder has remained quiet, sidestepping questions about it with ease. Whether for superstitious reasons or simply in an effort to avoid the spotlight, Osorio preferred to shower praise on his team. He told reporters in the clubhouse after the loss, "We have a better ballclub than we showed today."

"It's amazing to watch him hit right now, but I don't think anybody's really mentioning it," one of his teammates said. "So, we're trying to kind of keep that quiet... don't want to jinx him."
J. Osorio singled in the 2nd, singled in the 4th, struck out in the 6th and grounded out in the 7th.

This year Osorio is batting .369 with no home runs.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Cincinnati's Jefferson Hittin' on All Cylinders

May 18, 1912

There are four types of hits in baseball. It is a rarity for one player to get them all in one game. Jeremy Jefferson did it -- single, double, triple and a home run -- and sparked Cincinnati to a 11-7 win over Cleveland.

"Yeah, I was some kind of hitter in this game. It was like all I had to do was close my eyes and swing the bat. I don't think they could have gotten me out with a bazooka." Those were the words of Jeremy Jefferson of Cincinnati reflecting on his great game against Cleveland.

He hit for the cycle and is headed for the record books. For the game the Cincinnati center fielder banged out 4 hits in 4 at-bats and totaled 4 RBI and 4 runs scored.

Speaking to the press corps about the difficulty of hitting for the cycle, he told them, "A triple is so hard to hit. You hit very few in a year. To hit one in a game when you need it for a cycle, it's impossible to try to do it. If you need a single, you could bunt or do some other things. To hit a triple, usually something weird has to happen, the ball kicking past an outfielder or somebody falling down. It's hard. If you could hit one in the gap every time, you'd be a great hitter. It's a lot of luck to hit for a cycle."

Jefferson singled in the 1st, hit a GRAND SLAM off R. Castro in the 2nd, doubled in the 4th, tripled in the 6th, walked in the 8th and walked in the 9th.

In the 1912 season Jefferson has hit .321 with 4 home runs, 21 RBIs and scored 31 runs.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

St. Louis-Reading Trade: Lowry for Sanders

May 31, 1912

A deal was struck today between St. Louis and Reading, each team filling a much needed hole on their pitching staff and lineup, respectively.

St. Louis adds RHP Tim Sanders, a middle reliever who posted a 2.05 ERA and 18 strikeouts in 26.1 innings in Reading. The St. Louis bullpen has been generally strong, and has a great setup man and a brilliant closer, but the middle relief of LHP Steve Wallace (1-2, 5.90 ERA) and RHP Gregg Clark (1-1, 7.45 ERA) was nothing to write home about.

To get Redding, St. Louis sent Reading 2B Ira Lowry. With 2B Jorge Gomez already on the roster (.318, 5 HR, 25 RBI), Lowry was expendable.

Lowry fills a big hole at 2B for Reading. Gary Tomlinson and Tim Brown both shared duties at the position this year, and neither could hit above .250. Brown was hitting .211 at the time the trade was made. Lowry, who is is hitting .360 with a .429 OBP in limited at bats, also has great speed and will slide in perfectly to the leadoff spot in the lineup.

Reading is currently 5GB of 1st place in the United League with a 26-28 record. St. Louis is 6.5GB with a 26-29 record. They've lost six games in a row.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Pittsburgh Makes Interesting Trade

June 1, 1912

The two teams at the bottom of the Columbia League standings made a deal last night that could surprise you.

In an attempt to shore up their pitching staff, Pittsburgh packaged 18-year-old 2B Pancho Carbajal and 18-year-old SS Glen Brown and sent them to Kansas City for SP Howard Frankland.

Brown was drafted in the 45th round of the inaugural draft, and is projected to be a backup at the major league level. However, Carbajal, taken in the 26th round, is projected to be a star.

In return, Kansas City sent 28-year-old SP Howard Frankland. Frankland has pitched fairly well so far, going 4-5 with a 3.93 ERA in 75 innings. Frankland is the definition of a finesse pitcher. He's struck out only 19 batters, but has only allowed 3 home runs.

It's defintely interesting to see two teams at the bottom of the division make a trade like this, but both of these teams are clearly looking toward the future.

Kansas City is in 7th place with a 24-30 record and Pittsburgh has the worst record in the entire UBAL at 21-33.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

May Awards

June 1, 1912

Here are our awards for the month of May:

United League

UL Batter of the Month: CF Walt Jackson, Washington.

Jackson hit .374 with 4 home runs, 16 RBIs, and 25 runs. His 11 doubles and just 9 strikeouts have helped Washington reach the top of the United League standings.

UL Pitcher of the Month: SP Dave Richardson, Cleveland.

Richardson crushed UL hitting in May. In 6 starts, the southpaw went 6-0 with a 1.71 ERA, struck out 33, and held opponents to a .184 average. Cleveland is 5GB of first.

Columbia League

CL Batter of the Month: CF John Groves, Newark.

Groves banged out a .339 average with 38 hits, 6 homers, 24 RBIs and 24 runs. Cleveland is currently in 3rd place and 4GB.

CL Pitcher of the Month: SP Bill Larson, Newark.

Larson glided to a 4-0 record in May, posting a 2.68 ERA in 50.1 innings.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #23
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

After Two Months...

June 1, 1912

Two months have gone by in this inaugural UBAL season and everything has gone smoothly. The standings are starting to take shape and it looks like it will be a tight race all summer.

In the United League, Washington is off to a hot start with a 33-24 record. They've won their last four games and can really thank their starting pitching. Jose Anruvio is 8-0 with a 1.98 ERA, Dan Hart has posted a 2.33 ERA, and two other starters are below 3.50. The bullpen is equally impressive.

Buffalo leads the Columbia League at 32-21, but Baltimore and Newark are right on their tail. Buffalo has won nine games in a row thanks to their offense.

B.J. Ingram, Buffalo's center fielder, has really just crushed opposing pitchers so far. He's hitting .328, has an OPS of 1.138 which is 2nd in the UBAL. He's hit 16 home runs and is tied for the lead in the CL with 37 extra base hits.

The star of the league so far is 1B Luis Rivera. Through 56 games, Rivera has hit 26 home runs with a .385 average and an OPS of 1.269.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Big Time Prospect Heads to Pittsburgh

June 3, 1912

In an effort to shore up an absolutely dreadful bullpen, Cleveland has sent the #34 prospect in the UBAL, 3B Joseph John, to the United League's Pittsburgh franchise.

Did they overpay? YES.

Cleveland got LHP Earl Bright, a 21-year-old reliever who hasn't yet reached his potential. He should be a very good reliever down the road.

However, Joseph John an 18-year-old who looks like he could end up hitting .275 with 40 home runs. This guy has tremendous power and should be ready to leave the D-League in 2-3 years.

The one saving grace is that Cleveland has 21-year-old Nick Cox on the roster. Cox is slated to be the future 3B already, but if they definitely should have been able to get more for John if they thought he was expendable.

Cleveland officials have already gone to press saying that negotiations were "very difficult."
Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #25
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

25-Game Hitting Streak for Thompson

June 9, 1912

Chris Thompson's consecutive-game hitting streak has now climbed to 25 games. The Baltimore shortstop smacked 3 hits against Pittsburgh in today's game to extend it, but he has mixed emotions about it.

After losing to Pittsburgh, Thompson told reporters, "I feel good about the streak, but don't feel good when we lose."

Thompson doubled in the 2nd, singled in the 4th, hit an RBI single in the 5th and struck out in the 7th.

Presently Thompson is batting .365 with 93 hits and 16 home runs. He has knocked in 54 runs and scored 42 times.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #26
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1912 Amateur Draft

June 15, 1912

The five round draft of the nation's best college and high school talent takes place today. Kansas City holds the first pick, with both Pittsburgh franchises picking 2nd and 3rd, New York 4th, and St. Louis 5th. Buffalo, the team that holds the best record this season, will pick last.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1912 Amateur Draft: Results

June 16, 1912

Yesterday was a great day for most franchises. As of right now, we don't have much to go on but here are our thoughts on the players selected. It will be interesting to come back 10 years from now and see if we were right!

1. Kansas City - CF Miguel Guerra

Guerra was known as "Speed Demon" by his high school teammates, and that nickname doesn't sell him short one bit. This guy can absolutely fly. He will steal at least 50 bases a year. He also looks like the type of hitter that will develop a ton of power as he gets older. The one knock on him is he'll swing at a few too many pitches outside the zone.

2. Pittsburgh (CL) - LF Matt Norris

Norris is just as fast as Geurra, but lacks the pop. Norris won't hit as well, but he has a much better eye at the plate and should make up for a lack of hits with a ton of walks.

3. Pittsburgh (UL) - 3B Alonso Cannon

Cannon is a 17-year-old third base prospect who is incredibly raw but has the talent to succeed in the UBAL D-League for a few years. He's slow as molasses, but has a good amount of power. He'll strike out a bit too often and needs to get comfortable playing the infield, but Cannon looks like a future starter.

4. New York - 3B Kade Collins

Collins is a 22-year-old who we actually like more than Cannon. Collins is much closer to being UBAL ready. He has a little bit less power, but he'll hit for a ton of doubles and will also have a high average. He will rarely strikeout and has a decent eye at the plate. His defense needs work but he's got a solid arm and definitely can play 3B in the UBAL.

5. St. Louis - 1B Von Hansen

Hansen can hit for power and average, but will really struggle defensively and can't run. He should be able to put up monster numbers, offensively.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #28
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Thompson Hits in 30 Consecutive Games

June 16, 1912

Chris Thompson of Baltimore has now hit safely in 30 straight games. He socked 3 hits in today's 8-6 triumph over Kansas City.

Thompson walked in the 1st, singled in the 2nd, flied out in the 4th, singled in the 6th and hit an RBI single in the 8th.

To date this year Thompson is batting .366 with 17 home runs.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #29
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Thompson's Streak Over

June 18, 1912

Chris Thompson failed to get a hit today against Buffalo and had his 31-game hitting streak ended. This record could hold up for quite a while.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Cincinnati Schmidt Injured While Horse Riding

June 23, 1912

Cincinnati closer Quentin Schmidt has a ruptured ulnar collateral ligament, which he suffered while riding horses with his teammates. He's expected to be out for 9-10 months.

This season Schmidt has nailed down 4 saves. In 10.1 innings he has fanned 8 batters and walked 3. His record is 2-0 with a 1.74 ERA and the opposition is batting .229 against him.

Schmidt is just 26-years old and we really hope he can come back to pitch next season.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #31
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

We Didn't Want to Jinx It....

June 27, 1912

But B.J. Ingram has been ripping hits every day for quite some time and no team seems to be able to stop him. The Buffalo center fielder got 2 hits today against St. Louis and now has a 30-game hitting streak. The Buffalo won the game 3-1.

Ingram hit an RBI double in the 1st, flied out in the 3rd, hit an RBI single in the 5th and flied out in the 8th.

This year Ingram has collected a .342 batting average to date with 102 hits in 298 at-bats, 68 RBIs, 18 home runs and scored 61 times. He has played in 76 games.

He needs one more hit in his next game to tie the record set by Thompson early this month.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #32
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Ingram's Streak Ends at 30

June 28, 1912

The pitcher's were just scared to throw to him.

The Buffalo center fielder went 0-for-1 with two walks in last night's game against Newark.

"It doesn't matter to me," he said after the game. "We lost 14-1, and that feels a lot worse than a hitting streak getting put to rest."

To date, Ingram has 18 home runs and a .341 batting average.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #33
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

June Awards

July 1, 1912

Here are our awards for the month of June:

United League

UL Batter of the Month: RF Hunter Newton, Reading.

Newton, 34, is keeping Reading in the pennant race. In June, Newton hit .309 with 12 home runs, 26 RBIs, and 20 runs.

UL Pitcher of the Month: SP Jose Anruvio, Washington.

Anruvio throttled league hitters the entire month, completing June with an impressive 4-0 mark and a 1.72 ERA in 6 starts with 32 strikeouts in 47 innings.

Anruvio has a 12-0 record with a 1.90 ERA in 19 starts.

Columbia League

CL Batter of the Month: 2B Chris Thompson, Baltimore.

In 27 games last month, Thompson batted .391 with 10 home runs, 33 RBIs and 23 runs scored.

Currently Thompson is batting .357 with 119 hits and 20 home runs. He has knocked in 70 runs and scored 53 times.

CL Pitcher of the Month: SP Angel Gonzalez, Brooklyn.

In 4 starts he posted a 1.97 ERA and struck out 18 batters in 32 innings.

So far this year González has made 14 starts, tossed 89.1 innings, struck out 47 batters and walked 26. His record is 8-3 with a 3.73 ERA and he has limited opposing teams to a .239 batting average.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #34
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

After Three Months...

July 1, 1912

The United League is becoming less of a race with Washington pulling ahead to an 8.5 game lead over Cincinnati and Reading.

Washington has won 8 of their last 10 games, and are led by the dominant right hander Jose Anruvio. Jose has posted a 1.90 ERA so far which blows away the entire league. He leads the league with 12 wins, 142.1 innings pitched, and 5 shutouts. Teams average 6.01 hits per 9 innings against him, he allows 0.89 walks and hits per inning, and opponents are hitting just .187 against him. He leads the league in all three of those categories by a wide margin.

The Columbia League is still a very close race. Brooklyn sits at the top of the standings with a 48-35 records, but Buffalo is right behind them at 1 game back.

Baltimore and Newark are both 3.5GB and are still serious contendors for the Columbia League Pennant.

First basemen Luis Rivera of Newark is still crushing CL pitching. He's currently hitting .369, has an OPS of 1.144, 29 home runs, and 95 RBIs. He leads the league in all of those categories. He is projected to end with 56 home runs and 183 RBIs.

Brooklyn doesn't really have any superstars. 3B Ronald Collins, C Wayne Hall, and CF Roberto Santos lead the team in home runs with five each. Only one player, SS Francisco Torres, is hitting over .300. Speed has really helped them, with three players leading the team with 23 stolen bases.

Only one pitcher has a sub 3.00 ERA. It's amazing that they can play well enough together to stay in first place so far, and it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #35
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1912 All-Star Rosters Announced

July 7, 1912

On July 9th, the first annual UBAL All-Star Game will take place in Chicago.

Listed below are the starting lineup's for each squad.

United League

CF Walt Jackson (WAS) .301/13/55/12 SB
SS Cesar Sanchez (PIT) .328/9/47
C Bartolo Reyes (CIN) .335/10/41
1B Desmond Parks (RIC) .364/27/73
LF Hunter Newton (REA) .304/27/81
3B Donald Morris (CHI) .324/12/57
RF Edward Bunch (WAS) .279/16/45
2B Jeff Fassett (CIN) .329/5/31
SP Chris Davis (CHI)10-6/2.49/81 K

Columbia League

LF Roberto Santos (BRK) .283/5/37/28 SB
2B Chris Thompson (BAL) .358/20/74
RF B.J. Ingram (BUF) .331/18/68/18 SB
1B Luis Rivera (NEW) .361/29/95
CF John Groves (NEW) .347/21/78/14 SB
3B Millard Colbert (STL) .301/22/72/10 SB
SS Ronald Collins (BRK) .279/7/73
C Ric Owens (CHI) .284/17/61
SPBill Larson (NEW)10-3/2.75/ 93 K
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1912 All-Star Game

July 9, 1912

Today is the meeting of the top players from the United and Columbia leagues in a battle of bragging rights and home field advantage in the Presidents Cup Series.

This first annual game is being held in Chicago's home park.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #37
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1912 All-Star Game: Results

July 10, 1912

The Columbia League All-Stars jumped out to an early 4-0 lead and never let up. In the bottom of the 8th, up 8-3, they blew the game wide open by scoring 5 runs to make it 13-3. The United League would score one in the 9th, but the Columbia League team closed it out to take the first UBAL All-Star Cup.

The player of the game was Anastasio Arenas of Pittsburgh. Pinch hitting for Roberto Santos of Brooklyn in the 6th, Arenas hit a grand slam off of Anruvio to bust the lead wide open.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #38
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Trade Rumors Fly With Deadline Approaching

July 22, 1912

July 31st is the trade deadline set by UBAL commissioners. With the deadline only nine days away, we thought we'd take a look at some possible deals that teams could be looking to make.

While we understand that major deals won't really happen until later on in the leagues life, when players start hitting free agency, many teams could look to trade younger talent for older talent, or older talent for prospects, depending on where the team is in the standings.

As a general rule, teams at the top of the standings will sacrifice future prospects that can't help the team now in order to obtain a veteran player that will help keep them at the top or propel them into first place.

Teams that are losing may have old players that aren't really doing anything to help the team's future. So they are willing to sacrifice current talent for future prospects.

With that being said, Washington, Brooklyn, Newark, Baltimore, and Buffalo all look like teams that could make a splash. Washington, barring a huge collapse, will win the United League. They are 8.5 game up on Chicago.

However, with a lead like that, they may not think it's necessary to make a move. They are currently the best team in the UBAL and might believe they currently have what it takes to win the Presidents Cup Series.

In the Columbia League, it's a whole different story. The CL has four teams within 1.5 games of each other. All four of those teams will try and make some kind of move to pull ahead. Chicago is 6.5 games back, so they do have a shot but with four teams in the way it will be extremely tough.

One player who will almost surely be moved is 1B Owen Smith of Pittsburgh (CL). Smith is 38 years old, but still has played very well putting up a .307 average. Pittsburgh is currently in last place and virtually has no shot of making the Series. At his age, he could retire or just end up not nearly as useful next year, so Pittsburgh will sell him high and take some prospects that they can use in the future.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #39
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Dudley on a Rampage, Hits for Cycle

July 22, 1912

"Ladies and gentlemen, Ed Dudley has just hit for the cycle!" That was the call from the PA announcer as Dudley collected the last hit he needed to complete the cycle today against the Newark. He collected 4 hits in 5 at-bats, 5 RBI and 3 runs scored as Kansas City stopped Newark 11-2.

Hitting for the cycle is one of the most difficult feats in baseball at any level. The odds are really against a player hitting a single, double, triple and a home run in the same game.

"It's the last thing on my mind really. I'm out there trying to get a blooper or a walk or whatever might help the team. Hitting for the cycle is probably as much about luck as about skill," Dudley told reporters after the game.

He may be right, but it's not every day that someone hits for the cycle. That's why his name will be placed in the record book.

Dudley singled in the 1st, flied out in the 3rd, doubled in the 5th, hit a two-run home run off Thompson in the 7th and hit a three-run triple in the 8th.

So far this season, Dudley has recorded a .294 batting average with 118 hits, 21 home runs, 74 RBIs, 66 runs scored and a .333 OBP.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #40
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Newark Beefs Up Offense

July 27, 1912

Earlier this year, Newark made a trade with Reading that brought them catcher Ramon Sandoval. It looked like a good trade, but Sandoval has not performed well, hitting just .223 with the club.

So today, Newark gave up one of their best relievers, Jorge Villarreal and a prospect to Chicago for Reggie Moore, a 25-year-old catcher that's still getting better. With Chicago, Moore hit .253. While it may not seem like a significant upgrade now, Newark now has a player that has tons of upside and should become more powerful over the next year.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #41
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

38-Year-Old Smith Traded to Brooklyn

July 27, 1912

Thirty-eight-year-old first basemen Owen Smith was laughed at when he told his friends and family that he would declare for the UBAL inaugural draft.

Smith had played in amateur baseball leagues while growing up in the big apple, but eventually settled down on a farm in upstate New York. While most of his family thought he had no chance, his wife and two children could not support him more. They were there at the summer tryouts, they sat by him waiting for the mail to come to see if he had been chosen, and they moved out to Pittsburgh to watch him play in the UBAL.

As you already know, Smith was selected in the draft after an impressive tryout with UBAL scouts. However, while he was lucky to have been drafted at all, he did end up on the worst team in the Columbia League. At 42-61, Pittsburgh had no chance of winning the pennant.

But it looks like Smith will have at least one more shot at winning before he has to hang up the cleats for good.

Last night, Pittsburgh and Brooklyn came to an agreement that would send Owen Smith to the Brooklyn franchise in exchange for three prospects.

Now, Smith doesn't find himself in last place. He finds himself in the middle of a pennant race with two months to go. Brooklyn is just half a game back, and Smith could be just what the team needed. Not only does he now have a chance of winning before he has to leave the game, but he also gets to play in New York, his home city.

We wish Smith luck in his new home.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #42
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Hits Blitz for Kansas City Durán

July 31, 1912

It was a special day for Sergio Durán. Not only did Kansas City beat Baltimore 8-4, but the Kansas City second baseman hit for the cycle, too. The 27-year-old Durán racked up 1 single, 1 double, 1 triple and 1 home run to get his name mentioned in the record book. For the game he was 4-5 with 3 runs batted in and 3 runs scored.

In the words of the Baltimore manager, "He hit everything we threw. There was just no getting him out today."
Speaking to the press after the game, Durán said, "First pitch fastballs, that's what I was looking for today... I got some good looks."

Durán hit an RBI triple in the 2nd, singled in the 4th, hit a solo-shot off Ping in the 6th, hit an RBI double in the 8th and flied out in the 9th.

Presently Durán is batting .235 with 10 home runs and 58 RBIs. He has played in 106 games and scored 51 times.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #43
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

July Awards

Here are our awards for the month of July:

United League

UL Batter of the Month: C Curt Douglas, New York.

Douglas put together a solid month hitting .345 with 6 home runs, 21 RBI's, and 17 runs scored.

UL Pitcher of the Month: SP Earnest Williamson, Chicago.

Williamson had 5 starts in the month of July, posting a 2.31 ERA and striking out 12 batters in 35 innings.

Columbia League

CL Batter of the Month: RF Graham Morgan, Baltimore.

Morgan was on fire in July, hitting .391 in 25 games. He racked up 4 home runs and 22 RBIs.

CL Pitcher of the Month: SP Juan Gutierrez, Kansas City.

This Kansas City hurler had a 4-1 record with 25 strikeouts and a 2.35 ERA in July.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #44
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

After Four Months...

August 1, 1912

July has come to an end, and we're now in the final two months of the pennant race. Here's a quick look at the standings.

United League Standings

W L GB
Washington
65 44
Cincinnati
59 49 5.5
Chicago
57 51 7.5
Richmond
55 53 9.5
Reading
54 54 10.5
New York
50 58 14.5
Pittsburgh
47 60 17
Cleveland
45 63 19.5

Columbia League Standings

W L GB
Brooklyn
60 48
Buffalo
60 48
Newark
60 49 0.5
Baltimore
57 51 3
Chicago
52 55 7.5
St. Louis
50 58 10
Kansas City
48 60 12
Pittsburgh
45 63 15
Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #45
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Where In the World is Luis Rivera?

August 18, 1912

Newark's Luis Rivera was a highly touted player going into the inaugural draft. Everyone knew that this guy had power. He could hit and harder, faster, and farther than anyone else on the field

In the first month of the UBAL season, Rivera showed off that power. With 16 home runs in April, and then 10 in may, he was on pace to hit approximately 75-80 home runs. While we didn't think he could stay hot enough to do that, 50-60 was easily reachable.

When June rolled around, he launched one on the second day of the month. The next one game on the 8th. But then it took 12 days to hit another. Rivera wasn't hurt, and he was playing full time. That would be the last home run he hit in June.

July rolled around, and in those 31 days he hit just 4 home runs.

We're now halfway through August, and he's hit just 2.

Where in the world is Luis Rivera?

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-20-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #46
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Buffalo's Star LF Out for Year

August 21, 1912

The season is apparently over for Sam Mitchell. The Buffalo medical staff informed the club that the left fielder will be out at least 2 months with a torn back muscle. Mitchell was hurt in the game against Baltimore while making a defensive play. The doctors did not think he would recover prior to the end of the season.

This is a really tough loss to Buffalo as they are tied for first place in the Columbia League. With the trade deadline long gone, they'll have to find an internal replacement for Mitchell. Steve Hayes and Jose Flores look like the most likely candidates.

Mitchell is batting .313 this year with 10 home runs, 75 RBIs and 96 runs scored. He has 167 hits in 534 at-bats.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-20-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #47
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Brooklyn Worried Smith Won't Play Again

August 22, 1912

The worst fears of Brooklyn fans were confirmed today at a post-game press conference. Brooklyn first baseman Owen Smith has been lost for the season with a fractured skull. The 38-year-old Smith sustained the injury being hit by a pitch in today's game with the Pittsburgh. In all likelihood, the injury means the end of his professional baseball career.

So far in 1912 Smith has hit .302 with 12 home runs and 62 RBIs. He has played in 122 games and scored 55 times.

This is deeply saddening. If you remember, we had previously wrote about Owen Smith's return to the game as a 38-year-old who put together a solid year and ended up getting traded to Brooklyn, a team located blocks from his hometown and a team that was in the middle of a pennant race.

Now, it looks like Smith will have to cheer from the sidelines. However, in our hearts we know that if Brooklyn does win the pennant and go on to win the Presidents Cup, Owen Smith was a big part of it.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #48
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

August Awards

September 1, 1912

Here are our awards for the month of August:

United League

UL Batter of the Month: 2B Donald Morris, Chicago.

Chicago's second baseman put together a solid month with a .370 batting average, 8 home runs, 29 RBIs and 22 runs scored.

UL Pitcher of the Month: SP Tomas Duran, Reading.

In 6 starts Durán compiled a 2.00 ERA, putting up a 5-1 record, striking out 52 and tossing 45 innings.

Columbia League

CL Batter of the Month: SS Jesus Romano, Chicago.

The Chicago shortstop hit .345 with 9 home runs, 22 RBIs and 14 runs scored. He was also walked 9 times and posted a .406 on-base percentage.

CL Pitcher of the Month: SP Bret Shaffer, Kansas City.

In August the Kansas City starter earned a 4-0 mark in 6 starts. He threw 38.1 innings, struck out 30 and compiled a solid 1.17 ERA.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #49
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

After Five Months...

September 1, 1912

With just one month to go, things are heating up in the Columbia League. Buffalo and Newark are tied for the lead with 73-62 records, but Chicago and Brooklyn are 3 and 3.5 games back respectively, so anything can happen.

In the United League, Washington hasn't let up it's lead but Chicago is still hanging in there at 5 games back.

Luis Rivera of Newark has a legitimate shot at the Triple Crown. He is 2nd in batting average at .347, he leads the league with 127 RBIs, and is tied for the lead with 38 home runs.

Here's a look at the standings:

United League Standings

W L GB
Washington
79 56
Chicago
74 61 5
Richmond
70 66 9.5
Cincinnati
69 66 10
Reading
67 68 12
New York
65 71 14.5
Cleveland
62 73 17
Pittsburgh
55 80 24

Columbia League Standings

W L GB
Buffalo
73 62
Newark
73 62
Chicago
70 65 3
Brooklyn
70 66 3.5
St. Louis
67 68 6
Baltimore
65 70 8
Pittsburgh
62 73 11
Kansas City
61 75 12.5

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #50
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

UBAL Rosters Expanded to 40

September 1, 1912

UBAL rosters have expanded. Teams will be able to carry 40 players on their big league roster until the Presidents Cup Series starts.