Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the ice the kicker feature in NCAA 2009?
It's fair to use 8 66.67%
It's cheesy and should be banned from our leagues 1 8.33%
Trout 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Icing the kicker

Are you for or against it?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think there are more cheesy things done in our leagues that we haven't banned. Icing the kicker is slightly cheesy to me, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as say a FB dive.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was honestly surprised when people mentioned that they didn't like it. I thought the trick to get out of it was cheesy, personally.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
ColtCrazy
College Starter

The more I think about it, the more I don't mind it. Kicking is really fairly simple in the game. Nice to have something that challenges you a bit.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Practice more kicking.

The only time it's happened to me is when the comp did it. I think it's only happened once.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I think there are more cheesy things done in our leagues that we haven't banned. Icing the kicker is slightly cheesy to me, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as say a FB dive.

This really came out of left field for me. Since when is a FB dive considered cheesy?
Old 04-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

As far as the topic goes, I'm fine with icing the kicker. Maybe in part because I nailed a loooooong iced FG against a human opponent, but I honestly think that anyone who knows what they're doing can handle it. Just pay attention to where you are in regards to the hashmarks. It's almost fun.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
This really came out of left field for me. Since when is a FB dive considered cheesy?

I thought everyone knew that their are animation issues with the FB dive and QB sneak that make them much more successful than they are in real life. QB Sneak is the worst in the hierarchy.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-18-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I've never had a problem with icing the kicked. I'm in the same boat as karl in thinking that if you know what you're doing then it shouldn't bother you.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I thought everyone knew that their are animation issues with the FB dive and QB sneak that make them much more successful than they are in real life. QB Sneak is the worst in the hierarchy.

I usually have no problem stopping FB dives on a consistent basis. One of my best qualities is my goal line defense! Didn't know people felt that way, though.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought everyone knew that their are animation issues with the FB dive and QB sneak that make them much more successful than they are in real life.
I think the icing the kicker is just as bad if not worse. QB sneaks in the real world work pretty frequently from less than a yard to go. The problem with QB sneaks in this game is that they are almost automatic from two or three yards to go.

There was a study done not long ago on icing the kicker in the NFL. That found on kicks under 40 yards there was no difference in field goal percentages between when a timeout was called to ice the kicker and when there was no timeout. On kicks longer than 40 yards, without a timeout the success rate was 75% and with icing the rate was 65%. Given the sample size and the rarity, that's not much difference. I didn't see what the rate was for all kicks, but it's definitely less than a 10% effect.

Icing in the game is much more than that. I've only seen two successfully iced kicks in the game, one by a human and by the CPU. I've never done it. I have probably only tried a handful and I still don't understand the mechanics of what you have to do to make the kick.

Guess I'm one of the few who thinks it's cheesy and would be fine with banning it, although I have no idea how you could enforce it other than in h2h play.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have never had a problem with making kicks when iced. I guess I use the visual aspect that it changes much less than relying on field position and wind direction when lining up my kicks anyway.

I do think that persistent QB sneaks and FB dives are annoying though particularly when at midfield. If you are on the goalline I think they can be fair game because at least I am probably stacked against you anyway. It is the dudes that run them on 3rd/4th and 2 or 3 knowing they will get it at midfield that bothers me.

Last edited by BigDPW : 04-19-2009 at 01:09 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

I think the number of times I've seen a QB sneak or FB dive in an inappropriate situation is honestly zero.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

The problem with QB Sneak is if you are Down & 1 to go, it's an automatic first down. And on the goal line, I've never had it (against the AI) not give me an automatic TD if I was on the 1 or 2 yardline. That's why I never call them in vs. Human games.

FB Dive might be more of a problem in Madden than in NCAA. I've never had a FB dive work consistently in NCAA, but that might also be the FB Dive plays that I call. Maybe there are a few that do work all the time.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote