Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Spring Snow Storm

Just when we thought spring was here in the Rockies we get hammered. Here in Castle Rock, Colorado south of Denver we are looking at 24-36 inches through tomorrow. And we just had an 20 inch blizzard about 2 weeks ago. Gotta love spring at 7000 feet.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-17-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's 71 and not a cloud in the sky on the way up to 74 today

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah, we had that weather most of the damn winter really unseasonably warm in the 60-70s now spring comes and we get blizzards.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Finally dinged 70 here - can't wait to get the hell out of work.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It's been non-stop thunderstorms in Central Texas today. But we desperately need the rain.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Galaril
Pro Starter

Hard to believe but it is still snowing since I posted on Thurseday and it is not suppose to stop until tomorrow. So far we here got 22 inches with another 12-18 possible (12 likely) Nice things is the temperature is a comfortable 30-35 and almost no wind so the kids are having blast outside.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

I was in Huntington Beach today and the weather was about 80
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Think we ended up with 14 inches or so in Highlands Ranch. Probably another inch of rain. Looks like the precip has finally stopped. Great thing is, it will be in the 70s in a few days.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Just when we thought spring was here in the Rockies we get hammered.

You do realize that March, followed closely by April, always have been Colorado's two snowiest months?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

Buc,

Yes, I know that still it is spring non the less.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Think we ended up with 14 inches or so in Highlands Ranch. Probably another inch of rain. Looks like the precip has finally stopped. Great thing is, it will be in the 70s in a few days.

I guess being up the Palmer Divide and the added altitude makes a big difference since we got pretty close 30 inches here CR.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Even after being here over 20 years, I am still amazed at the weather barrier caused by Palmer Divide. It truly can act as a dividing line for weather, particularly snowstorms that come out of the north to west. Those in Douglas County (north of the divide) and Denver metro can see 12+ inches while those south of the divide (like here in the Springs), gets 2-6. Monument Hill, on top of the divide, gets really, really bad - they were still reporting bad conditions and crashes yesterday afternoon.

For those not familiar with Palmer Divide and Monument Hill, it is very deceiving because it does not look like a barrier. It is out of the mountains, running perpendicular from the Front Range out to the plains for about 30 (?) miles. Driving on I-25 from the north or from the south over the divide, you experience a very gradual incline from about 6000' to 7200' over 15 miles. Now why something that unnoticeable acts like a major weather divide, I never understood.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Even after being here over 20 years, I am still amazed at the weather barrier caused by Palmer Divide. It truly can act as a dividing line for weather, particularly snowstorms that come out of the north to west. Those in Douglas County (north of the divide) and Denver metro can see 12+ inches while those south of the divide (like here in the Springs), gets 2-6. Monument Hill, on top of the divide, gets really, really bad - they were still reporting bad conditions and crashes yesterday afternoon.

For those not familiar with Palmer Divide and Monument Hill, it is very deceiving because it does not look like a barrier. It is out of the mountains, running perpendicular from the Front Range out to the plains for about 30 (?) miles. Driving on I-25 from the north or from the south over the divide, you experience a very gradual incline from about 6000' to 7200' over 15 miles. Now why something that unnoticeable acts like a major weather divide, I never understood.

It is funny when we were looking to buy a house out here in Co, from back in Boston we wanted to find a place that got a fair amount of snow since both my wife and love the white stuff and don't mind the slow down in traffic to be honest. But, I never knew we were in store for this type of snow. And Buc you are right up here on the Divide we sure do get a ton more snow then on either side.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Finally dinged 70 here - can't wait to get the hell out of work.

Yeah. Nice 70 degree days on Friday and Saturday, but just to keep us on our toes...snow possible Monday.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Yeah. Nice 70 degree days on Friday and Saturday, but just to keep us on our toes...snow possible Monday.

Snow on Friday and parts of Saturday, and close to 70 degrees and sunny today and tomorrow. Really cool to see the nearby mountains glistening in white.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Snow on Friday and parts of Saturday, and close to 70 degrees and sunny today and tomorrow. Really cool to see the nearby mountains glistening in white.

Which is why it is the best place to live in the US I would say the world but Fiji, New Zealand, Finland, Norway, and the Switzerland are hard to beat beauty wise at least.