Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Computer repair - Geek Squad

I'll be honest - I don't know much about computers other than playing games on them My gaming computer is really f'd up and I'm looking to take it some where to get it diagnosed and repaired. Has anyone taken their rig to a Best Buy Geek Squad @ Best Buy? If so, how was your experience with them? They charge 199.99 for diagnostic and repair + a back up just in case if ever need to reformat my computer (back up did not come with the system)

Thanks in advance...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I took a PC there once because it was running very slow. They said my HD was bad. I called Dell to get a 2nd opinion. Turns out one of the SIM slots for the RAM was bad. I moved the RAM and that fixed the issue.

I wasted the $200 at Best Buy.

If it were me, I would pay for the over the phone help you would get from the manufacturer, but that is based one 1 good experience with Dell.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, used them a number of times.

Experiences ranged from "quick,easy, didn't even charge me to diagnose something in like five minutes" to "what do you mean you can't find my wife's laptop" (they lost it in transit from their Best Buy to a central repair center).
Only consistent thing with them I've found is that they're virtually impossible to reach on the phone. They're contract employees who work for a company that essentially leases space inside Best Buy, so that accounts for the variable service.

Can be useful & helpful, can also be the most annoying clueless fucks on the planet to deal with, it's a coin toss which type you get.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Call a friend that knows pc's... if you can.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Drake
assmaster

Calling Geek Squad is the equivalent of opening your wallet, taking out a wad of $20 bills and setting them on fire.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Computer troubleshooting isn't an exact science...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I've had pretty solid luck with them but they do feel a bit expensive compared to some of our non-chain places.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
chinaski
College Prospect

If youre stuck with no help from capable friends, id just take it too a local computer shop. They will most likely be cheaper than GeekSquad and most likely more knowledgeable.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would at least attempt to re install some drivers before you pay that much.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Post your problems and I'm sure myself and some others will help you any way we can.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Calling Geek Squad is the equivalent of opening your wallet, taking out a wad of $20 bills and setting them on fire.

And then sometimes going ahead and breaking your computer.

Why we don't call Geek Squad - Ever!!!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Computer troubleshooting isn't an exact science...

I will go ahead and disagree....strongly.

Now it depends on the nature of the problem, but any hardware issue can be diagnosed through sound scientific method.

Software problems can be a bit more tricky, but again
input+command == output everytime

if it doesnt then your input is bad, your command is bad or a part is bad these things cant think for themselves.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
Drake
assmaster

Sometimes they just lie.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I will go ahead and disagree....strongly.

Now it depends on the nature of the problem, but any hardware issue can be diagnosed through sound scientific method.

Software problems can be a bit more tricky, but again
input+command == output everytime

if it doesnt then your input is bad, your command is bad or a part is bad these things cant think for themselves.
You took my statement waaaaaay to serious. But honestly being someone who has built computers for 16 years, fixed everyone and their mothers computers, and also did technical support for 8 years, I speak from a lot of experience.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Sometimes they just lie.

The computers?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

DanGarion's observation matches my own experience pretty well. As my old IT boss used to put it ... some things just are. Don't try to make too much sense of why computers {ahem} foul up sometimes.

It's a science up to a point but anybody who hasn't seen something happen that simply doesn't make sense (but happened anyway) probably hasn't been working on them/with them very long. It's not that there isn't a reason for the problem, it's that solving the problem by whatever means works most efficiently is more important than figuring out exactly what one in a million occurrence caused it in the first place. Sometimes shit just happens.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
DanGarion's observation matches my own experience pretty well. As my old IT boss used to put it ... some things just are. Don't try to make too much sense of why computers {ahem} foul up sometimes.

It's a science up to a point but anybody who hasn't seen something happen that simply doesn't make sense (but happened anyway) probably hasn't been working on them/with them very long. It's not that there isn't a reason for the problem, it's that solving the problem by whatever means works most efficiently is more important than figuring out exactly what one in a million occurrence caused it in the first place. Sometimes shit just happens.

Mark Russinovich's SysInternals blog is eye-opening for what it really takes to track down some of these weird crashes / hangups that occur on a typical computer that are caused by software, let alone weird hardware flakiness...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Mark Russinovich's SysInternals blog is eye-opening for what it really takes to track down some of these weird crashes / hangups that occur on a typical computer that are caused by software, let alone weird hardware flakiness...

There are just so many factors from hardware, software, and the user.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
There are just so many factors from hardware, software, and the user.

Not to mention intermittent failures as something is dying. Took me a couple of weeks and slowly increasing failures to figure out that the reason that my computer was shutting off while playing Mount & Blade was because my video card was dying. And I only figured that out because I played a game of Civ IV and the graphics got all corrupted right before it died. If I hadn't seen that bit of graphics corruption, that computer would probably be trash right now, rather than my daughter's most recent ugprade. Sure, you can swap pieces one-by-one, but when I can play for four hours straight no crashes once and then 30 minutes and BOOM the next time, it's awfully hard to know if the last swap was the actual problem. And there's drivers, or me having installed something weird, or a virus having been collected in the background, or who knows what. Taking one thing at a time may be "scientific", but it doesn't necessarily fix it in a timely manner.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Not to mention intermittent failures as something is dying. Took me a couple of weeks and slowly increasing failures to figure out that the reason that my computer was shutting off while playing Mount & Blade was because my video card was dying. And I only figured that out because I played a game of Civ IV and the graphics got all corrupted right before it died. If I hadn't seen that bit of graphics corruption, that computer would probably be trash right now, rather than my daughter's most recent ugprade. Sure, you can swap pieces one-by-one, but when I can play for four hours straight no crashes once and then 30 minutes and BOOM the next time, it's awfully hard to know if the last swap was the actual problem. And there's drivers, or me having installed something weird, or a virus having been collected in the background, or who knows what. Taking one thing at a time may be "scientific", but it doesn't necessarily fix it in a timely manner.
+1
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #21
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
The computers?

Yes. They lie. Little bitches.

Last edited by Drake : 04-14-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You took my statement waaaaaay to serious. But honestly being someone who has built computers for 16 years, fixed everyone and their mothers computers, and also did technical support for 8 years, I speak from a lot of experience.

I am not questioning your experience, nor doubting your tech savy.
I suppose its just the engineering side of my brain that hates the "things happen for no reason" sentiment that floats all too often.

That said, Id wager 75% of the board is more adept on the software programming side of life but from a hardware troubleshooting fail testing side Id put my skills against anyone. If tolerances are checked closely and and proper trouble shooting tress followed the cause will be found.

That does take time and good equipment. I own meters that no one in their right mind would purchase for PC troubleshooting (several that cost 10x the cost of a high end PC) that make the task child's play.

But there is no magic involved that was my point.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #23
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
But there is no magic involved that was my point.

LIES!!!! I've used Voodoo Magic in the past to solve problems!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Back to Geek Squad, my aunt needed the hinge on her laptop that connects the monitor with the main part of the computer fixed. She got it back and the hard drive was also wiped even though it was a pure external fix. Last time I knew(granted this was some time ago) they were still fighting with Best Buy. I have herd other horror stories, so I say it's a weighted coin toss at best. I would look for somebody locally before going there.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #25
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Dont bring it to Geeksquad unless you have no other choice. You are far better off bringing it to a smaller local place if possible. You will get far better service and most likely it will be cheaper and they will be far les likely to screw something up.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #26
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys. If I do have to take it in I'll go with someone else. What I did was restore it from the oldest backup date and it looks like it may have worked. It's still running a lot slower than when I first bought the computer but at least it starts up now.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #27
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
If youre stuck with no help from capable friends, id just take it too a local computer shop. They will most likely be cheaper than GeekSquad and most likely more knowledgeable.

+1 This is what I did when I needed help. Found a local guy who said he wouldn't even charge me and showed me how to do it. It took about 5 minutes and the computer has been perfectly fine ever since. 5 minutes and free vs. $100 + 2 days.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Might be best to back up your data and then reinstall a fresh copy of Windows.