Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Dish Sat TV

Anyone who has or had Dish TV and would like to comment on it? Also, if anyone has a experience with Direct TV would be appreciated. I just called Direct TV to get the local Red Sox NESN channel so I could see the Red Sox game and it turns out the games are blacked out by Direct TV due to it's deal with MLB Extra Innings. I had thought that was the case when I ordered it but the DTV rep swore that was not the case. So, I asked if they would give me a deal on mlb extra innings thing since it just came off the bargain period a day ago and the guy said they couldn't which I know to be another lie. Fine so I told him cancel it even thought the cancelation fee is $250. That is fucking rediculous. The retention guy gave me an offer for 5 dollars off then another for another 10 dollars but I stood my ground. I told him turn it off on end of day friday so I am kind of hoping they will give me a call and try to keep me by sweeting the deal with some kind of better discount even if not for the MLB thing. And if not I may pay the money to get rid of Direct TV and go with Dish since they look real cheap $9.99 for 6 months.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like dish a lot. But I would wait to sign up until after the 900 series DVR is ready.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I like dish a lot. But I would wait to sign up until after the 900 series DVR is ready.

What is the deal with the 900 DVR and when is it suppose to out to Dish customers?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I pay 70ish for the 200 channel package, the dvr, locals, first tier of HD and one dual tuner 722 dvr. I could save 5 bucks if I had a landline.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm on my phone so its hard to paste a link. It is the 942(edit) which has slingbox functionality built in. Not sure when it comes out tho. Its generally cheaper to get equipment when you sign up. Othewise it costs quite a bit. You are going to have a limit of 2 hdtvs with dish if that matters to you

Last edited by stevew : 04-14-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
lungs
Pro Rookie

Usually the people on the phone working for these companies are morons when it comes to the sports packages. I've been told the same thing that if I buy the sports channel package I'll get all the games on there when in fact you need the actual MLB package for example.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If your issue is the baseball package, Dish apparently isn't offering the MLB package this year. So you can't get out of market MLB games anywhere without paying for it. Except with Dish, you can't get the games, period. You can get all the local/regional sports networks on DTV, but all the games that are part of packages (MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.) are blacked out on those channels. I bet that's the miscommunication - you CAN get those channels, but not for blacked out sports packages, unless you live in the area. I assume that's not just a DTV thing, either, but all cable/sat providers do the same thing. You do get access to non-blacked out sports on those channels, mostly college sports. It's great to have during college football season, because I get Big 12/PAC 10/BIG 10 games for free that I'd never see otherwise.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-14-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dish Network does not offer the MLB package nor the MLB Network
If you order the sports package, every MLB game will be blacked out except for the ones on your local stations and on the "superstations" like WGN, TBS, etc.

Dish Networks SUCKS for baseball fans.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Dish Networks SUCKS.

Fixed that for ya.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
If your issue is the baseball package, Dish apparently isn't offering the MLB package this year. So you can't get out of market MLB games anywhere without paying for it. Except with Dish, you can't get the games, period. You can get all the local/regional sports networks on DTV, but all the games that are part of packages (MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.) are blacked out on those channels. I bet that's the miscommunication - you CAN get those channels, but not for blacked out sports packages, unless you live in the area. I assume that's not just a DTV thing, either, but all cable/sat providers do the same thing. You do get access to non-blacked out sports on those channels, mostly college sports. It's great to have during college football season, because I get Big 12/PAC 10/BIG 10 games for free that I'd never see otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Dish Network does not offer the MLB package nor the MLB Network
If you order the sports package, every MLB game will be blacked out except for the ones on your local stations and on the "superstations" like WGN, TBS, etc.

Dish Networks SUCKS for baseball fans.

Yeah, I would not be going over to DSIH for sports packages since Direct TV does have the two good ones baseball and NFL but at there pricing agreements no way no how am I paying for them so at that point there is less differnce between DISH and DTV. The only thing that will ultimately hold me back is the $260 dollars for the DTV cancellation. I am still expecting some kind of offer from DTV before my subscription is up.