Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Amtrak - Anyone with any experience?

I'm looking at possibly traveling from Tucson AZ to Charlotte NC in May, I was just wondering if anyone here has traveled with Amtrak before, and if so, what was it like - Pros and cons, etc.

I think it would be an enjoyable way to travel, theoretically, and would rather not go greyhound for a 5th cross country trip..

Anyone here used them before?

FUCK EA

Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Personally I love travelling by train, and travelling long distance by Amtrak isn't that bad, though you have to be careful what kind of train you get - for that kind of distance you want to make sure you don't get the local service - you want the longer haul express routes, I forget exactly what they call them. They have a pretty neat website that gives you some good options for planning - I took the Crescent route from NC down to New Orleans a few years back and it was enjoyable. One thing to note is that it gets fairly pricey if you want the private rooms or sleeper areas - but if you're fine sleeping in a regular seat I'd go that route - it's a lot better than the bus in any case, more comfortable, and there's usually a restaurant and bar area.

Last edited by Peregrine : 04-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

It's fun, as long as you're not on a deadline. Amtrack doesn't own the tracks it runs on, so multiple hour delays are pretty common. So if you're not terrified of the possibility of being a day or two late, or being stuck in some random town for a while, it could be fun.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
tarcone
Coordinator

I looked into traveling from St Louis to Ocala, FL. one year with my family. I was thinking it would be cheaper then flying. Boy was I wrong. It would have about $1000 per ticket.
We flew.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I love the train. It's much simpler and sometimes quicker (I think it has far fewer delays than airlines) if you're traveling less than, say, 10 hours. I haven't gone cross country, though, only along the east coast. It does get pricey and long to go longer distances.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Business class on the train is the only way to go. That probably gets pricey for longer trips, but it's a $13 difference on trips from LA to San Diego or Santa Barbara. No brainer.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I've been quoted $242.00 for a trip from Tucson to Charlotte, which sounds perfect as far as my wallet is concerned.. And I like what I am reading for the most part.

Having used Greyhound for the last several trips I have made, I am ready for something less.. cramped.. And something where there are fewer people on board who look like they are killers or rapists.

Not that I haven't felt safe on Greyhound, but the longer layovers late at night in big cities have always been uncomfortable because I feel like I have to have my head on a swivel the entire time to keep track of my stuff and myself. That, and the Greyhound bathrooms are.. well..

And I also like the idea of being able to move around a bit and actually enjoy the trip. Time isn't so much a concern as safety and enjoyability.

I do see that there will be a long layover in New Orleans, as I would arrive there at 4 PM and not leave until 7:00 AM the next morning. I imagine there are hotels near the station I could go to, and I would kind of like to see a bit of N.O. too, so that should work I think. If anyone has recommendations for things to do or see there during that time frame, that would be cool too.

I'd love to hear more about others experiences with Amtrak, so if anyone else has anything to add, I appreciate every tidbit.

FUCK EA
Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Long Dola: Also, looks like it would only put my cost up to 600 if i got a "roomette" for each of the two trains I will be on.

That sounds awesome.

I think I am strongly leaning toward that now..

* Meals included
* Picture window
* Two reclining seats which convert to a bed; upper berth which folds down from wall
* Available on both upper and lower levels of the Superliner
* No in-cabin toilet or shower; restrooms, showers nearby in same train car
* Electrical outlets
* Climate control
* Individual reading lights
* Garment rack
* Fold-down table
* Fresh towels and bed linens
* Soap and shower amenities
* Personal service (turn-down, coffee, paper, make-up bed)
* Bottled water
* Daily newspaper

I'd feel like a star being treated like this.. for that price? Nice.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 04-11-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I can't believe it is that cheap. If you are really that averse to flying (???) then it seems like a perfectly legitimate option, especially as compared to Greyhound.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Long Dola: Also, looks like it would only put my cost up to 600 if i got a "roomette" for each of the two trains I will be on.

That sounds awesome, but I wonder if I would be required to have another person going with me in order to get one of those rooms.

I don't believe so, I've used them before - if you put up the money you can get them.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Really just echoing what others have said here. My wife, son, and an employee used Amtrak through D.C. on a trip a few years ago & none of them had anything but good to say about it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-11-2009 at 11:14 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
I can't believe it is that cheap. If you are really that averse to flying (???) then it seems like a perfectly legitimate option, especially as compared to Greyhound.

I am not really so much averse to flying, but if I can avoid it, I will. When I flew to Paris a couple years ago, I could barely keep from losing my mind with irrational worries. After a few of their little bottles of wine, I was good to go, but I'm just not comfortable in the sky. Thats actually why I have used Greyhound so much.

FUCK EA
Old 04-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking of using it to go from Richmond to Jacksonville this fall. I wish we had high-speed trains like we rode on in Italy. We'd take the roomette and the slow way there and then the fast train back.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The roomette sounds perfect. My last long trip was D.C. to Charlotte and we loved it. The only thing I wish they could add is wifi, and the logistics are probably a bit complicated for that.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I do see that there will be a long layover in New Orleans, as I would arrive there at 4 PM and not leave until 7:00 AM the next morning. I imagine there are hotels near the station I could go to, and I would kind of like to see a bit of N.O. too, so that should work I think. If anyone has recommendations for things to do or see there during that time frame, that would be cool too.
I would recommend taking a taxi from the train station to a hotel near the French Quarter and just saying there. The area immediately around the station is not great, and the Quarter is only 5 minutes away by car.

As for my experiences with Amtrak, I actually liked being on the train and just relaxing. Unlike an airplane, there was room for me to get up and walk around if I needed to stretch my legs. I also enjoyed looking at some of the dinky little towns the train went through.

My mother-in-law did have one bad Amtrak experience. Somehow, all the toilets got backed up fairly early in the trip. I don't know what happened or how, but on a 10-hour ride from Memphis to New Orleans, I'd imagine that it was a bad day for her. She did the same trip several times besides that, and there were no major issues. The train did hit a cow once, and that delayed the arrival by 3 hours or so, but as someone has already mentioned here, delays are fairly common for some reason or another.

If the price is a good one, I say to go for it.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
The train did hit a cow once, and that delayed the arrival by 3 hours or so, but as someone has already mentioned here, delays are fairly common for some reason or another.

Damn, Pumpy, don't leave us hanging...

What happened to the cow?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Damn, Pumpy, don't leave us hanging...

What happened to the cow?
Let's just say that passengers got free burgers that evening.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I am not really so much averse to flying, but if I can avoid it, I will. When I flew to Paris a couple years ago, I could barely keep from losing my mind with irrational worries. After a few of their little bottles of wine, I was good to go, but I'm just not comfortable in the sky. Thats actually why I have used Greyhound so much.

Arizona to Carolina? They sell little bottles of wine on domestic flights, too.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Let's just say that passengers got free burgers that evening.

Burgers... yum.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The roomette kicks arse. Take a bottle of your fav adult beverage, your mp3 & dvd players and portable speakers. The only weird thing is your toilet is in the roomette, so if you have to drop a load you're doing it in the same place you were just munching on cheetoes, and hear people walking by inches away.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote