Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Please media re:Mass Shootings

I am firmly in the camp that puts at least some of the blame on the media for when a string a mass shootings happens. Crazy people see all the publicity that others get and decide to go out "In a Blaze of Glory". But that is for another thread and I will for today subscribe to the notion that it is their duty to cover the shootings.

But can we at least get something straight? Crazy people commit mass shootings. Assholes commit mass shootings. Worthless scum commit mass shootings. Can the media please stop muddying the waters and acting like the downturn in the economy is somehow responsible? This has been happening in America for years through the good times and the bad. I know lots of people who are suffering from the recession and their first devotion is solely to what they can do to help their families not to go start indiscriminately killing people. It isn't the economy, it isn't the NRA, it's a bunch of selfish assholes.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

+1

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, but how do you blame "crazy people"?

It's easier to blame something tangible, like the economy, guns, video games, or a gun-loving Grand Theft Auto player who can no longer buy his precious video games because the economy cost him his job.

That way, folks can nod their heads wisely and say "See? That thing I've always thought was bad was the cause behind this."

It's human nature to look for the reasons why bad things happen, because no matter how bizarre the explanation, it's still easier for the mind to latch onto than "shit happens."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Drake
assmaster

Besides, we're not supposed to discriminate against the mentally ill anymore. Saying they committed a mass (whatever) because they're mentally ill is demeaning.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Everything is demeaning to somebody.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Ryan W.
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post

I definitely blame him.
Ryan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Drake
assmaster

I blame Catherine Zeta Jones for him.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand, I'm reminded of that line from Me and Bobby McGee, about how "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose". At some point maybe "crazy" isn't far from that definition either.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Drake
assmaster

My wife is bipolar. I'll be the least surprised person on the planet if she ever goes on a mass killing spree.

And if they ask me why I think she did it: because she's f'n crazy. Seriously.

I've seen her scream for 15 solid eye-bulging, vein-throbbing minutes at the kids because they didn't pick up their toys fast enough. I've seen her rage like that over absolute minutiae until she literally made herself vomit because she was so uncontrollably angry. Whatever it is that triggers her explosions of crazy isn't responsible. It's just the trigger.

She already knows that if she ever decides to stop being med-compliant, I'm taking the kids and divorcing her.

Last edited by Drake : 04-03-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

And on that cheerful post, this thread is done I think.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I am firmly in the camp that puts at least some of the blame on the media for when a string a mass shootings happens. Crazy people see all the publicity that others get and decide to go out "In a Blaze of Glory". But that is for another thread and I will for today subscribe to the notion that it is their duty to cover the shootings.
I agree wholeheartedly on the media being irresponsible in reporting some things - especially negative aspects of society.

(apologies for taking a bit of a tangent here - but ts kinda related imho)

I've a book around here somewhere which I think is called 'Black Swan' which amongst other things covers teenage suicide rates and how a single ocurance of a teenage suicide can cause a huge ripple effect of copycats within that region.

Its kinda scarey but it appears from the evidence that one person doing something 'validates' it as an acceptable thing to do in many peoples minds, causing a ripple through that social sphere of society (especially in easily inluenced social groups like teenagers) and encouraging other people to do the same.

(this isn't restricted to 'extreme' acts either - imho the media showing divorce as a minor hiccup in a hollywood actors life encourages people to think that a divorce for them might not be 'so' bad either etc.)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
This has been happening in America for years through the good times and the bad. I know lots of people who are suffering from the recession and their first devotion is solely to what they can do to help their families not to go start indiscriminately killing people. It isn't the economy, it isn't the NRA, it's a bunch of selfish assholes.

Agreed, but:

Quote:
But can we at least get something straight? Crazy people commit mass shootings.

Doesn't the idea that mass shooters normally go on sprees for little to no clear discernible reason, in good times and in bad, show that they are crazy? That doesn't mean that they should not be locked away somewhere for the rest of their lives, but sounds like textbook crazy to me.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe this dick less fucker in pittsburgh. Head shots 2 cops and then kills another responded. They should have never let the cockfucker surrender. Now he will get a long expensive trial. And gutless jurors won't vote to execute him at trial or I'm sure we will have a spineless governor by then who won't sign a death order. Match the casings to his gun and have this fucker strung up within 30 days. I can buy some of the anti death penalty points, but for fucks sake.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I can't believe this dick less fucker in pittsburgh. Head shots 2 cops and then kills another responded. They should have never let the cockfucker surrender. Now he will get a long expensive trial. And gutless jurors won't vote to execute him at trial or I'm sure we will have a spineless governor by then who won't sign a death order. Match the casings to his gun and have this fucker strung up within 30 days. I can buy some of the anti death penalty points, but for fucks sake.

+1

This is one reason I don't think I could be a police officer. Knowing this cowardly piece of shit basically ambushed three of my comrades and left 2 wives, 5 children and multiple parents/siblings without their loved ones for no reason, I would be hard pressed not to just pistol whip him to death on the spot.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

Sheesh the 3 cops murder in Pitt, the 14 dead (incl shooter in Binghamton), the 5 kids and father dead in Seattle/Tacoma all reported on the same day.

I mean I know it's April and people have a tendency to become unhinged (I've been struggling with it myself), but this is just insane (no pun intended).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

tragic
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I've a book around here somewhere which I think is called 'Black Swan' which amongst other things covers teenage suicide rates and how a single ocurance of a teenage suicide can cause a huge ripple effect of copycats within that region.

In the suburbs where I grew up, the paper would never report on a teen suicide. There was a kid I went to school with who walked in front of a train and the school wouldn't even acknowledge it.

Surprised we don't do that with school shootings.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

Now they find 5 kids dead in a house in Washington state, father shot them and committed suicide later. WTF is going on with people? Is there no depth that we won't sink to? Sure the economy is bad and a lot of people are desperate, but I don't understand this need to "take people with you".

And calling cops to your house to help you and then shooting them in the head as they rush in might be worse. I hope they string the mother up (called the cops and hid in the basement) with him. Hopefully they both die painful and drawn out deaths in jail.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yep. The sister or girlfriend in the Oakland case should do some time too. Harboring a felon is a crime, then the dude kills two cops. Gotta be felony murder in both cases.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #21
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Now they find 5 kids dead in a house in Washington state, father shot them and committed suicide later. WTF is going on with people? Is there no depth that we won't sink to? Sure the economy is bad and a lot of people are desperate, but I don't understand this need to "take people with you".

And calling cops to your house to help you and then shooting them in the head as they rush in might be worse. I hope they string the mother up (called the cops and hid in the basement) with him. Hopefully they both die painful and drawn out deaths in jail.

I guess you missed the point of the whole thread. Normal people who lose their job or come across rough times don't kill their families. Don't blame this on the economy, these are fucking worthless pieces of shit killing innocent people. AIG, etc have nothing to do with complete lack of any sanity whatsoever.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote