Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It sucks to be prevented from being a good person....

Every time there's a blood drive (in the community, at work, etc...) I'm reminded that I can't give blood in the States because I lived in England in 1993-1994 and from 1995 to 1999 and LifeSource (amongst others) are afraid of Mad Cow Disease.

It really sucks because I'm O-, the universal donor.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Meh. Any idiot can donate blood.

A better contribution is to have a child that is raised well and becomes a productive member of society. That's becoming an increasinly scarce commodity.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Welcome to Burton-upon-Trent.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
A better contribution is to have a child that is raised well and becomes a productive member of society. That's becoming an increasinly scarce commodity.
Yeah, but people from England can't do that either.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Donate money every year to the Red Cross to "make up" for it. They still need some cash to perform the work.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

Well, I finally can agree with you about something.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Drake
assmaster

Not donating blood makes you a bad person?

Can't you make up for it by buying energy efficient light bulbs or something?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

You definitely should do another good deed to make up for the lack of donating blood. I suggest handjobs for the homeless.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
You definitely should do another good deed to make up for the lack of donating blood. I suggest handjobs for the homeless.

He could do it on Palm Sunday.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm pretty sure handjobs for the homeless is part of the...erm...stimulus package.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Don't have to have a child to make a contribution...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Every time there's a blood drive (in the community, at work, etc...) I'm reminded that I can't give blood in the States because I lived in England in 1993-1994 and from 1995 to 1999 and LifeSource (amongst others) are afraid of Mad Cow Disease.

It really sucks because I'm O-, the universal donor.

There is some new thing in California about not letting people that have had tattoos be donors. I've had two people tell me that because they have got a tattoo in the last couple years the DMV is declining them from being donors. I can't find anything about it and I can't confirm from my wife if they asked her when she got her new license but a couple guys in my training classes said the person taking their picture asked about their tattoos and denied their donor request.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
There is some new thing in California about not letting people that have had tattoos be donors. I've had two people tell me that because they have got a tattoo in the last couple years the DMV is declining them from being donors. I can't find anything about it and I can't confirm from my wife if they asked her when she got her new license but a couple guys in my training classes said the person taking their picture asked about their tattoos and denied their donor request.

I have a tattoo on my forearm and nobody has said anything to me about it. Maybe in 2011 when I renew my license it'll come up.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm the same way. I'm AB-, and I have never been able to give blood because I've been to India, then later lived in England for a time.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I have a tattoo on my forearm and nobody has said anything to me about it. Maybe in 2011 when I renew my license it'll come up.

I can't find any information to back it up online on the DMV or Donor site. So I think it was a DMV idiot (not calling all people that work at the DMV an idiot just this person) taking things into their own hands...

Last edited by DanGarion : 04-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Question since I don't follow this stuff much, but is there really a shortage of blood out there? I haven't heard about that in many years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Drake
assmaster

Question: Why not just *not* tell them you lived abroad and go ahead and give blood? If you've got risky blood, they'll catch it at the testing center and just discard your shit. Do you answer all internet surveys accurately, too?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Question: Why not just *not* tell them you lived abroad and go ahead and give blood? If you've got risky blood, they'll catch it at the testing center and just discard your shit. Do you answer all internet surveys accurately, too?
Some people don't lie.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I can't find any information to back it up online on the DMV or Donor site. So I think it was a DMV idiot (not calling all people that work at the DMV an idiot just this person) taking things into their own hands...

Here in MD, they do ask if you've had any piercings or tattoos in the past year.

Blood Donor Eligibility - American Red Cross Greater Chesapeake and Potomac Region
Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola - that was IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND too, only the first link googling "red cross tattoo blood donation"

edit: the second link includes this:

Quote:
Tattoo
Wait 12 months after a tattoo if the tattoo was applied in a state that does not regulate tattoo facilities. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis. Learn more about hepatitis and blood donation.

Acceptable if the tattoo was applied by a state-regulated entity using sterile needles and ink that is not reused. There are 32 states that currently regulate tattoo facilities. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.

http://www.redcross.org/en/eligibility

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Dola - that was IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND too, only the first link googling "red cross tattoo blood donation"

edit: the second link includes this:

Blood Eligibility Guidelines

Donor cards in CA have nothing to do with Red Cross...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

YEAH GIVING BLOOD IS FOR WUSSIES
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #23
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

There's no test for CJD and it has an unknown gestation period.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #24
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He could do that but then he would be a bad person doing a good thing and it would cancel out not giving him the full goodness effect.

I was going to post earlier that at least he didn't lie (which was a good thing).
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I don't want to get all preachy, but you shouldn't lie when you give blood. That blood is going to go into another human being. Yes, there are tests, but what about things tests don't catch? Or what if the test is incorrectly done, even if that's unlikely?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #26
Subby
lolzcat

The short answer to RainMaker's question is: absolutely. The need for blood donations is increasing while the number of donors is decreasing. 35% of the population is eligible to donate while only about 5% actually do. The center where I donate has less than a 1 day supply of a number of blood types (O-, AB-, A-).

I donate every two weeks using a method called ABC (automated blood collection). They hook you up to a machine that draws blood from your arm, spins the components out (platelets, plasma, red blood cells) and collects what you are donating and returns the rest to your body.

It takes 90 minutes or so and is a great way to help the community. You can donate plasma and platelets every two weeks and red blood cells every eight weeks. One platelet donation has as many platelets as SIX whole blood donations. They are used to help patients recovering from cancer, leukemia, and trauma surgery (to name a few). Additionally, if you are CMV- then there is a good chance that your components are being used for babies in need.

The best part is you just sit there with your feet up, wrapped in warm blankets, watching a movie or reading a book or whatever. It is really easy. When the process is done it is cool to see the bag or bags filled with each component you are donating.

Anyway, if you are eligible, I highly encourage folks to look into regular ABC donation at their local medical center.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 04-03-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Additionally, I think the thing that bugs me is that a couple of years ago I finally overcame a childhood fear of needles and figured "Hey, I can give blood now!" only to be told I couldn't, due to a potential link to CJD that's never been proven. Seems like a waste, to be honest.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems like a waste, to be honest.

The lost pints just aren't worth the risk. I mean, we're pretty screwed if we end up with a tainted blood supply.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Wow. I hope I never need blood.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #30
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sure, if the CJD link turns out to be true in 20 years (along with a long-term gestation period) and affects almost everyone who ever ate beef, it'll be a bit of a lonely world.

On the other hand, you'll get your dream of a drastically reduced human population.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #31
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Additionally, I think the thing that bugs me is that a couple of years ago I finally overcame a childhood fear of needles and figured "Hey, I can give blood now!" only to be told I couldn't, due to a potential link to CJD that's never been proven. Seems like a waste, to be honest.

On the bright side, now you can get a tattoo and a piercing without worrying that you're going to throw up on the tattoo artist!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #32
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

Pretty sure the first post of the thread disproves this assertion.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #33
Drake
assmaster

So you're saying I should actually *tell* them I have hepatitis before giving blood?

Learn something every day.

(Kidding.)

Actually, I'm kidding personally. When I worked in drug treatment, that was SOP for addicts giving blood and plasma at places where they pay you for such things. I've known for about ten years now that I should hope I never need a blood transfusion.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They don't allow me as I take Propecia

Otherwise, I'd be in there every 6 or 8 weeks. I did it once when I was 18, before I started taking, and it went really quick and fairly painless- apparently my blood flows pretty quickly. I gave myself allergy shots for years so needles don't really bother me.

But I still can't give

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-03-2009 at 11:13 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #35
molson
General Manager

I had a phobia about giving blood for a while, and then when I finally did, I got nauseous and passed out. It wasn't very pleasant, I guess a mild version of what it feels like to bleed to death.

So I'm probably red flagged from doing it again. I try to "make it up" in other ways.

Last edited by molson : 04-03-2009 at 11:28 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I had a phobia about giving blood for a while, and then when I finally did, I got nauseous and passed out. It wasn't very pleasant, I guess a mild version of what it feels like to bleed to death.

So I'm probably red flagged from doing it again. I try to "make it up" in other ways.

Don't worry. For healthy people who don't give blood, the Red Cross sneaks into your house and takes it while your sleep.

That's why your mouth tastes like chloroform when you wake up sometimes.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #37
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
On the bright side, now you can get a tattoo and a piercing without worrying that you're going to throw up on the tattoo artist!

Well now, that's certainly brightened my day up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Pretty sure the first post of the thread disproves this assertion.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #38
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

(Was not implying you are an idiot, in case that thought came across)
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #39
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #40
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Some people don't lie.

Everyone lies at some point, and if they tell you different, they're lying.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #41
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

That's a lie!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #42
marcmoustache2
n00b

Through fear of this being a stupid question, why is it more risky to have lived in the UK? Can't you get Mad Cow / CJD in the US? Denny Crane has it for starters.
marcmoustache2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #43
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes, but lying about serious things, and lying on stupid things are majorly different. Lying about something so you can donate blood could theoretically kill someone and is a very bad idea. Of course I'm sure there are a number of people that lie anyway and could care less about what could happen because of it.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #44
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, but lying about serious things, and lying on stupid things are majorly different. Lying about something so you can donate blood could theoretically kill someone and is a very bad idea. Of course I'm sure there are a number of people that lie anyway and could care less about what could happen because of it.

No, I totally agree about the serious stuff, I was just commenting on your blanket statement.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #45
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
No, I totally agree about the serious stuff, I was just commenting on your blanket statement.

Well I'm sure there are some people that don't lie.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #46
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Well I'm sure there are some people that don't lie.

Not a chance.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #47
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Pardon me for not reading the thread, but does donating blood seriously make you a good person?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #48
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

dola

I think we need a diagram tbh..
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote