Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

PING: Car people (specifically, Q on remote starters)

I'm planning ahead, here.

After a winter with too many instances of "WTF?! The car door is frozen shut, again?!" I'm thinking that if my 1999 Toyota Corolla is still working come the Autumn (and there's no reason to think it won't be), I'm going to be in the market for a really simply remote car starter so I can get it warmed up on cold days (and defrost the weatherstripping, which is causing the doors to freeze shut) from the safety of my home.

After doing some cursory research online, however, there seems to be little in the way of comparative reviews of these things, and most seem to do a lot more than I need (i.e. be alarm systems, communicate back to me about the status of the car, etc...).

So, to forestall getting ripped off if I just go into Best Buy with no idea what I'm talking about, does anyone have any experience with these things they can share?

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno about where you live, but generally you can get a sufficient one installed for around 129 bucks around here.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

1 - make sure car is an auto
2 - Its a pretty simple device, make sure it has a no key over ride or your car could be gone
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'm planning ahead, here.

After a winter with too many instances of "WTF?! The car door is frozen shut, again?!" I'm thinking that if my 1999 Toyota Corolla is still working come the Autumn (and there's no reason to think it won't be), I'm going to be in the market for a really simply remote car starter so I can get it warmed up on cold days (and defrost the weatherstripping, which is causing the doors to freeze shut) from the safety of my home.

After doing some cursory research online, however, there seems to be little in the way of comparative reviews of these things, and most seem to do a lot more than I need (i.e. be alarm systems, communicate back to me about the status of the car, etc...).

So, to forestall getting ripped off if I just go into Best Buy with no idea what I'm talking about, does anyone have any experience with these things they can share?

Man, all this stuff is not necessary. Just move somewhere warm.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote