Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

College basketball coaching changes

Not sure if there was a thread, but Anthony Grant takes the Alabama job

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-27-2009 at 09:30 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

At least spell his name right

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Oh goody. Time to go to the CAA Boards and watch it go berserk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

LOL, this morning's Herald-Leader has 7 pages devoted to the UK coaching change. That's the first 7 pages of section A. And that doesn't count 2 of the 6 pages of the Sports section also talking about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I'm rooting hard for current VCU assistant Tony Pujol to get the head coach job at VCU since his oldest daughter was in my wife's class and I got to teach her as a sub. His middle daughter will likely be in my wife's class next year, too, assuming they stay in Chesterfield county. My wife really liked the parents even before she learned he was a VCU coach.

And she loves seeing the kids on the sidelines during VCU broadcasts.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 03-28-2009 at 10:53 AM.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pitino and Calipari are saying all the right things about the open jobs and I think they aren't going anywhere
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
I'm rooting hard for current VCU assistant Tony Pujol to get the head coach job at VCU since his oldest daughter was in my wife's class and I got to teach her as a sub. His middle daughter will likely be in my wife's class next year, too, assuming they stay in Chesterfield county. My wife really liked the parents even before she learned he was a VCU coach.

And she loves seeing the kids on the sidelines during VCU broadcasts.

It sounds like it's between Pujol, a Florida assistant, and a Texas assistant - so he seems to have a decent shot.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pitino apparently was not interested, at all, when the UK job was open two years ago. I think he is happy at Louisville.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Pitino apparently was not interested, at all, when the UK job was open two years ago. I think he is happy at Louisville.

Seems that most of the speculation (and I consider it just that) are not on the UK job but on the Arizona job, with regards to Pitino at least.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-28-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Seems that most of the speculation (and I consider it just that) are not on the UK job but on the Arizona job, with regards to Pitino at least.

Is there any reason he would want to leave Louisville for Arizona, other than the fact that he just seems unable to stay at one place too long and he's been at Louisville awhile?

Prestige wise, it seems like a lateral move, Louisville's history with Denny Crum may not be quite what Arizona had with Lute Olsen but its not like Arizona would be a huge step up or anything.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Is there any reason he would want to leave Louisville for Arizona, other than the fact that he just seems unable to stay at one place too long and he's been at Louisville awhile?

Prestige wise, it seems like a lateral move, Louisville's history with Denny Crum may not be quite what Arizona had with Lute Olsen but its not like Arizona would be a huge step up or anything.

You would have to ask him. Now that L'ville's in the Big East, I don't see a big difference.

That said, Arizona has had a longer, more recent string of success (referring to the last 20 years or so), and there are a ton of good ballers in CA to recruit off of with not as much competition (which is why Olson was successful at AZ). Plus, for AZ, basketball is their premier position in the department, so they'll spend for it, and it seems likely Pitino will like living in Tucson more than Louisville.

Finally, against all odds, Pitino was mentioned a TON when the UCLA spot was open. Now, UCLA is quite a different spot than Arizona, of course, but the intimation we heard out here during all that was that Pitino actually wanted to come out west, that he liked the concept of playing the Left Coast. Since he was never offered the job (the flirtation was the year before Lavin was fired), I don't think anything was ever confirmed, nor did he speak publically about it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

There go my dreams of Grant going to UVA.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
There go my dreams of Grant going to UVA.

I don't think Grant was ever on the UVA radar screen, which was a shame.

The Richmond newspaper mentioned the VCU AD interviewed the guys from Florida and Texas (whose sole accomplishment appears to have been recruiting Durant for one year) already and said the AD plans to make a decision by Thursday. The paper also implies Pujol is the leading candidate.

I have to laugh at the local radio guy who claims to have 'lots of inside info' at VCU, UVa, etc (but to his credit does not claim to know what is going on). If he has so much inside info, why can't he pronounce 'Pujol' correctly? He pronounces it just like Albert Pujols, but 'Pujol' doesn't have an 's' and isn't mainstream Spanish. It's Bascque and pronounced with a soft 'g' sound.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
I don't think Grant was ever on the UVA radar screen, which was a shame.

I think this is true. That's the problem.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here are the main reasons listed in some of the Arizona papers for Pitino coming out west:

1. His daughter (Jacqueline Pitino) starts classes at Arizona this fall and rumor is the Pitinos have purchased a house in Tucson.
2. The Arizona program has been on a downslide for 3-4 seasons (not unlike UK and Louisville when he took over) and Pitino could add more to his legacy by taking another program to the final 4.
3. He can have his pick of the litter in Texas and CA for most players (much easier than fighting NC, Duke, Big East schools and Big 10 for the east coast/midwest guys).

Finally, there was a somewhat crazy rumor in one of the Tucson papers stating that Arizona would agree to let Rick's son be the "coach in waiting" at Arizona if he agreed to coach now (somewhat similar to the Bennetts at WSU and Knights at TT).

I still think it's a longshot as Pitino has a sweet deal with a great program in Louisville - but stranger things have happened.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

OK, so here's the scuttlebutt I've heard around here about the UK coaching job - all of it unsubstantiated, of course, but some of it comes from a guy here who is VERY well connected to the university/boosters and well respected in the community.

Re Gillispie - It's true he didn't take on the ambassador role they wanted him to, and of course he lost more than they expected, but the "straw that broke the camel's back" about whether to fire him or bring him back was the constant attention his off-the-job activities required. Dude was infamous around here for hanging at the local pubs, getting drunk and driving, and being a big-time womanizer. It apparently got so bad that someone paid for an undercover cop to tail him every night he went out to make sure he didn't get into too much trouble. Apparently the school wanted to make a move before the inevitable happened and they were embarrassed even further over the decision to hire him.

Re possible replacements:

1. Rick Pitino - Apparently the boosters are putting together a gigantic pot of money to make Pitino the richest coach in America to come back. now, whether he would do it or the university would want to go through all of that is another thing, but we've heard from multiple people around here that the clear preference from the boosters is for Pitino. We'll see if he immediately shoots down any rumors like Donovan did, or if there's something to it.

2. Travis Ford - Aside from his youth/inexperience and not being a big name, word is that on the heels of Gillispie's woman issues, the university is very reluctant to take on Ford, who apparently has the same woman issues as Gillispie but even worse, is married. He's a fallback position at best right now.

3. John Calipari - There's definite interest, and depending on how discussions go with others, this might happen quickly if he's really interested and UK doesn't think other options are there.

OK, that's all - I think I hit my gossip limit for the month!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'd note that I think that this is the year that Calipari jumps for a job if he's ever going to jump. There's some excellent jobs available this year. If he doesn't take a different job this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he just stayed at Memphis for a very long time to come.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
Arles
Grey Dog Software

ESPN just reported on the radio that Calipari met with Kentucky officials this weekend. Not sure what they means (may be using it as leverage for Mem), but it seems to have happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

Last edited by Arles : 03-30-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Would bet money that Cal is just in this to improve his contract at Memphis.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw this over at the Atlanta newspaper website. I'd personally be shocked if Mike Anderson even considered the Georgia job. He's got much better facilities at Mizzou and 9 players returning in addition to a 6'10" athlete and a superstar local guard coming next year that fit the '40 minutes' mold. Couple that with 2010 recruiting on the back of an Elite 8 appearance and there's probably no way he goes to Georgia for 200-300K more salary.

Have no clue if Capel would be interested or not given that he's losing a big chunk of his squad this year.

UGA now can talk to Anderson, Capel | UGA Sports

Quote:
UGA now can talk to Anderson, Capel
5:03 am March 30, 2009, by Chip Towers

The silence is deafening.

That’s the only way to describe Georgia’s search for a new men’s basketball coach. Suddenly it has all gone quiet. That, as you all surely know, means things are getting done.

The seasons of at least two coaches thought to be at the top of the Bulldogs’ wish list ended over the weekend. That means UGA’s search will likely kick into high gear between now and NCAA Final Four festivities in Detroit this coming weekend. Oklahoma’s Jeff Capel and Missouri’s Mike Anderson saw their teams go down in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA tournament Sunday and Saturday, respectively. That means they are now available for Georgia to approach about its coaching vacancy.

UGA athletics director Damon Evans, who’s usually pretty good about getting back to me, hasn’t returned my messages in three days, four if I don’t hear back from him on Monday. Earlier he told me the Bulldogs would not attempt to contact a candidate who was still active in postseason play. None of the four teams remaining — Villanova, North Carolina, UConn or Michigan State — are coached by a person believed to be targeted in Georgia’s search.

Indications are that Capel and Anderson are 1A and 1B on Georgia’s list. As far as I can tell, there was no evidence Sunday that the Bulldogs had received permission to speak to either of them. Asking the school for permission to interview a coach is standard protocol in the business.

I did manage to get Missouri’s chancellor on the phone. “I’ve heard nothing on that and I believe I would,” said Brady Deaton, Mizzou’s top Tiger, said when asked if Georgia had contacted the school about Anderson. “We just got back home and we’re excited about the progress Coach Anderson has made with the program and we’re looking forward to building on that.”

Anderson appears attainable for Georgia from a financial standpoint. According to published reports, Anderson has two years remaining on a contract that pays him $850,000 annually. Georgia would most likely offer much more than that — and Missouri knows it. Word is the Tigers already have offered him $1.3 million.

“Certainly discussions are in progress with Coach Anderson [on a pay raise and contract extension],” Mr. Deaton told me. “We feel good about his commitment to the University of Missouri and are very proud of what he has accomplished.”

In the meantime, phone calls to several Oklahoma administrators Sunday went unreturned. However, Capel — who reportedly has also been targeted by Virginia — did nothing to discourage speculation that he might consider a move after his team got bounced on Sunday.

“My name has been mentioned for jobs every year I’ve been a coach and I’m not planning on getting into it [with the media],” Capel told reports outside the locker room after Mizzou’s loss to North Carolina. “I can’t tell people what to write about me.”

Meanwhile, Alabama introduced Anthony Grant as its new coach late Sunday afternoon. The fact that Georgia didn’t budge and let Grant walk speaks volumes about its search. Clearly Evans had his sights set on some other candidates. But that could prove a risky proposition. I talked to a buddy who covers Bama on Sunday and he said Grant was very impressive in his debut before Crimson Tide fans. He talked about how a polished and motivational speaker Grant was. “Blew the doors off the place,” my friend said.

That sets up what will surely be an endless comparison between Grant and whomever the Bulldogs get, especially if it’s Anderson. A great faction of Bama folks wanted the Birmingham native, who coached at UAB before moving to Missouri.

Supposedly the Crimson Tide is going to pay Grant about $1.8 million dollars. That hasn’t been completely verified yet and I’m sort of surprised if that’s true. The only reports I’ve seen are that he made $700,000 at VCU and was going to clear $850,000 with bonuses from this past season. If it is true that gives you an idea of what Georgia is going to have to pay to get its man. Capel makes in the $1.1 million range from what I’ve seen.

But Damon and Dr. Adams knew what they were in for when they laid out the criteria. Stay tuned!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Calipari has met with his players. Players are convinced he's gone...........

Source: John Calipari meets with players, hints at departure : GoMemphisTigers : Your leading source for The University of Memphis Tigers

Quote:
Source: John Calipari meets with players, hints at departure
By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009
Updated 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

University of Memphis coach John Calipari met with his players this morning to discuss his involvement with the University of Kentucky opening, according to a source close to the situation.

While Calipari did not say explicitly what he planned to do, players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com reported Monday morning that Calipari met with Kentucky officials over the weekend to discuss an outline of a deal to replace Billy Gillispie.

A source told The Commercial Appeal on Sunday that Calipari had expressed interest in the job and could meet with Kentucky this week but that a meeting was “not definite.”

Memphis officials, according to multiple sources, had no direct knowledge of a meeting between Calipari and Kentucky if one indeed took place over the weekend. Kentucky still had not asked Memphis for formal permission to speak with Calipari as of 9:45 a.m., according to sports information director Lamar Chance.

Either way, Memphis is expected to make a strong bid to keep Calipari with a financial package that would make him the highest paid coach in basketball, according to another source.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-30-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

I don't see why Anderson or Capel would leave their current gigs for Georgia, unless it came with a salary that was WAY outside of what you would expect Georgia to pay for basketball.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't see why Anderson or Capel would leave their current gigs for Georgia, unless it came with a salary that was WAY outside of what you would expect Georgia to pay for basketball.

The rumored amount is somewhere in the $1.8 million a year range. Whether that rumor is true of course is a whole other matter but that's the figure I've been hearing.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As long as the new coaches checks don't bounce Memphis should be fine.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So if Cla leaves for UK, does he take all those top recruits for next year he has signed, too?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
So if Cla leaves for UK, does he take all those top recruits for next year he has signed, too?

I think some go. I think Wall heads to Baylor now though.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #27
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

That was my first thought as well. He has a loaded class, including the top three (according to at least one ranking service) if Wall signs on as well.

Would be interesting to watch the fallout if he does jump.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The rumored amount is somewhere in the $1.8 million a year range. Whether that rumor is true of course is a whole other matter but that's the figure I've been hearing.

If that's the case - These guys would leave their current gigs for less than Grant took to leave VCU - to go to Georgia?

That seems crazy.

Quote:
Old 03-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #29
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Here's Memphis' 2009 Class. I've listed the other schools with interest and offers. Could be interesting indeed...there's some serious talent that could land elsewhere if Calipari did leave (note: all of this comes from Rivals.com).

Xavier Henry (5* SG): Kansas
DeMarcus Cousins (5* PF, solid verbal only): NC State, Kansas State
Will Coleman (4* PF): Pitt
Nolan Dennis (4* SG): UNC, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, Baylor, UConn, Florida, Kansas
Darnell Dodson (4* SF): Pitt

Pitt could make out like bandits (as could my Jayhawks).
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Xavier Henry has signed a LOI so he won't be let out of that. All those other guys are free to pillage.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Xavier Henry has signed a LOI so he won't be let out of that. All those other guys are free to pillage.

Isn't it fairly common to release kids from LOIs when there's a coaching change?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #32
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Isn't it fairly common to release kids from LOIs when there's a coaching change?

Kid is one and done anyway I doubt they do to be honest,
Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #33
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rumor is 6 mil per year for Calapari.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Jesus
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #35
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Amateur sports <3
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

This has to be like the Howard Stern to Sirius deal, where all the expenses for operating the program (assistants, suits, bribes, jet allowance) are included in the publicly announced numbers.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Its 4 and some change base, 2 and some change in incentives. Comes out to almost 7 mil actually. Like 6.67
Old 03-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #38
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Here's Memphis' 2009 Class. I've listed the other schools with interest and offers. Could be interesting indeed...there's some serious talent that could land elsewhere if Calipari did leave (note: all of this comes from Rivals.com).

Nolan Dennis (4* SG): UNC, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, Baylor, UConn, Florida, Kansas

Dodson is ineligible to go to Pitt, which is why he landed at Memphis (some weird thing with enrolling at Pitt and then the clearinghouse not making him eligible made it so he couldn't go back after going to prep school). Also, Blair would have to go pro, which all the buzz has him leaning that way, to have an extra scholarship to add another player.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #39
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

That release means they cannot play for one year. Without the release they could not play for two. And its up to the school to issue the release, which they are actually unlikely to do for players who want to follow the coach who just dissed them.

In short, very little chance that Henry goes to UK. Maybe he goes Brandon Jennings?

The NCAA has been better about releasing players recently, but I don't think they are in the habit of releasing freshmen from LOI's because the coach left.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Its 4 and some change base, 2 and some change in incentives. Comes out to almost 7 mil actually. Like 6.67

If that's true, he's an idiot if he doesn't take it.

Quote:
Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #41
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tell me Memphis is not the perfect fit.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #42
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It is a done deal. I feel like I have been kicked in the stomach right now.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
That release means they cannot play for one year. Without the release they could not play for two. And its up to the school to issue the release, which they are actually unlikely to do for players who want to follow the coach who just dissed them.

That's not correct. If a school releases a player from a LOI, they can sign with a new school and play without any penalty. JT Tiller is a perfect example of that. Mike Anderson left UAB after the season was over to go to Mizzou. JT Tiller had already signed a LOI to attend UAB the next year. JT Tiller was released from his LOI and played that fall for Mike Anderson and the Mizzou Tigers.

There's no penalty by the NCAA if the school rescinds your LOI upon request. If the school refuses to do that, you do have to sit out for one year (or two years depending on where you transfer). It's VERY rare that schools do that anymore. The reason is that future recruits will hold out until the last minute to sign the LOI's if they know the school will refuse to release them in a coaching change situation.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-30-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #44
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's not correct. If a school releases a player from a LOI, they can sign with a new school and play without any penalty. JT Tiller is a perfect example of that. Mike Anderson left UAB after the season was over to go to Mizzou. JT Tiller had already signed a LOI to attend UAB the next year. JT Tiller was released from his LOI and played that fall for Mike Anderson and the Mizzou Tigers.

There's no penalty by the NCAA if the school rescinds your LOI upon request. If the school refuses to do that, you do have to sit out for one year (or two years depending on where you transfer). It's VERY rare that schools do that anymore. The reason is that future recruits will hold out until the last minute to sign the LOI's if they know the school will refuse to release them in a coaching change situation.

Aye, you're right. I don't think it used to be that way (and I am thinking back 15 years).

I don't think its VERY rare that schools do so anymore - I think in particular they do not like players following coaches (who they usually consider to be breaking their contract) to their new school. I think the Tiller situation is the exception rather than the rule.

I will be interesting to see what happens with DeMarcus Cousins, the #2 or #3 player in this year's class. He is unsigned, but committed to Memphis.

Interestingly, UAB is in the middle of the Cousins situation, seemingly taking a contrary stance to what they did with Tiller. He was going to sign with UAB in November, but wanted written assurance that they would issue his release if Mike Davis was not their coach. They would not provide such assurance, and he opted to commit to Memphis without signing an LOI. I sincerely doubt he goes to Memphis now. Could he end up back at UAB? Does Kentucky have room for him?

Last edited by Samdari : 03-30-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post

One Tiger recruit could go with Calipari; Xavier Henry has no opinion yet : GoMemphisTigers : Your leading source for The University of Memphis Tigers

According to his mother, Dennis' LOI includes an out clause in the event Calipari leaves.
“We had anticipated on coming to Memphis for Mr. Calipari, and we had a letter that if he leaves, then we get to either follow or start all over again, but I don’t know,” she said. “Nolan is in agony. I’m assuring you that I hope he stays.”

Meanwhile, Xavier Henry's brother C.J. who is a guard on the Memphis roster already, says he doesn't know what his brother will do, nor apparently himself either
Asked if the brothers could leave Memphis if Calipari departs, C.J. said, “I don’t know. I’d have to talk (Xavier) and talk to my family and we’d go from there.”

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-30-2009 at 02:53 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #46
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

This crap is moving way too fast. Apparently, Memphis is going to hire Mike Anderson quickly.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #47
DeToxRox
Head Coach

On Rivals some Virginia and Minnesota fans are starting to pick up steam on Tubby to the Cavs.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #48
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
This crap is moving way too fast. Apparently, Memphis is going to hire Mike Anderson quickly.

lol
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #49
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I don't think its VERY rare that schools do so anymore - I think in particular they do not like players following coaches (who they usually consider to be breaking their contract) to their new school. I think the Tiller situation is the exception rather than the rule.

Is there a difference when schools fire a coach (when they almost have to let guys out of their LOI) and when a coach quits?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post

***chuckle***

As Rivals has correctly reported on the Memphis Basketball website, Anderson to Memphis would be a lateral or backwards move at best for Coach Anderson.

Memphis has been granted permission to talk with Anderson, but it's very unlikely that anything comes of it.