Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

2009 Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread

I'm in an NL only 5x5 auction keeper league (we use OBP instead of average) and it is keeper time. 23 man rosters (13/10)

Auction values won't track traditional cheat sheet charts just because we have 6 year contracts so, values a skewed. For example, J. Reyes is a FA this year and is expected to go for $55 so... just the nature of our league.

So far - C. Snyder, A. Gonzalez $17, R. Ankiel $5, L. Milledge $10, H. Pence $22, M. Bourn $10, E. Encarnacion $15, Maholm $3, Bell $6, Cueto $5, Scherzer $10, Blanton $16, Lannan $5, Motte $5 and reserves Wallace $5, Morrison $5..

(Guys I'm not keeping - Peavy, Zambrano Durbin, Tejeda, Pearce, Antonelli, Coghlan). I flirted with keeping Peavy even at a lofty 50 because he will go for that much anyways, but I decided to definitely use my $ on offense.

So, I have 1 potential spots over

Bonifacio, Dewitt, Happ, A. Sanchez

I also have a trade offer of

A. Sanchez or Happ for C. Guzman or C. Barmes.

Any suggestions, much appreciated.... What did you think this was going to be a 'Should I trade Pujols for Howard?' question?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

A pending trade will leave me needing a closer. Who do you like best?

Hoffman
Street
Percival
Motte
Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Hoffman
Street
Percival
Motte

Depends on your patience level. Hoffman will be the best of the bunch when he is healthy whether its 2 weeks or a month its uncertain right now. Ive heard good things about Motte and would probably go that route as you already know Percival/Street will be shaky at best.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'm in an NL only 5x5 auction keeper league (we use OBP instead of average) and it is keeper time. 23 man rosters (13/10)

Auction values won't track traditional cheat sheet charts just because we have 6 year contracts so, values a skewed. For example, J. Reyes is a FA this year and is expected to go for $55 so... just the nature of our league.

So far - C. Snyder, A. Gonzalez $17, R. Ankiel $5, L. Milledge $10, H. Pence $22, M. Bourn $10, E. Encarnacion $15, Maholm $3, Bell $6, Cueto $5, Scherzer $10, Blanton $16, Lannan $5, Motte $5 and reserves Wallace $5, Morrison $5..

(Guys I'm not keeping - Peavy, Zambrano Durbin, Tejeda, Pearce, Antonelli, Coghlan). I flirted with keeping Peavy even at a lofty 50 because he will go for that much anyways, but I decided to definitely use my $ on offense.

So, I have 1 potential spots over

Bonifacio, Dewitt, Happ, A. Sanchez

I also have a trade offer of

A. Sanchez or Happ for C. Guzman or C. Barmes.

Any suggestions, much appreciated.... What did you think this was going to be a 'Should I trade Pujols for Howard?' question?

Why Bourne for $10? Seems a bit steep IMO. Trading for Sanchez would be a good thing and Id probably give up Guzman as he really only helps in average and that is IF he is healthy all year. What does an average pitcher go for? Blanton seems a bit steep as well for how bad he looked most of last year. How many teams in your league?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Why Bourne for $10? Seems a bit steep IMO. Trading for Sanchez would be a good thing and Id probably give up Guzman as he really only helps in average and that is IF he is healthy all year. What does an average pitcher go for? Blanton seems a bit steep as well for how bad he looked most of last year. How many teams in your league?

11 team league. Blanton is a bit steep, but the starters in the middle of the rotation go for $11 - $18 usually. Stud #1 pitchers go for $40+, #1 pitchers for around $25+, 2's and 3's for $10 - $20, 4's for $5-8 and 5's for $1 or $2.. just the way it is. Any rookie pitcher goes for $10-$20 regardless also.

Our league is very very odd in that there is ALOT of money on the table even with a 23 man roster and 15 guys kept because we have 6 year contracts so, if somone hits on a rookie or player, that guy isn't a FA for a long time.

Bourn isn't too bad a value at $10 given that steals guys go for $20-$25.. one year Pierre even went for $40 so... Must of this is because you have guys like Braun at $18, Wainright $1, Lincecum $14, Fielder $10, Wright $20 so you have all that money on the table and have to adjust figures dramatically.

We have our draft Sunday and with FAs like Reyes, Oswalt, Peavy, Santana and Pujols, I expect all of them to go for $50+
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Hoffman
Street
Percival
Motte

Hoffman should be the most steady. Motte could be the most dominating.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
Danny
Head Coach

I'd rank them Motte, Hoffman, Street and then Percival.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
JS19
College Prospect

Need a little advice. I've been hearing nothing but positive things about Matt LaPorta. I've been in a little debate with myself if I should add him, while getting rid of Endy Chavez. My team is dead last in SB, which is the only reason I have Endy on the roster. Anyone know how LaPorta is going to be used and such? I have no problem getting rid of Chavez, but his SBs will be more useful on my team if LaPorta is going to have minimal playing time, or just be sent back down when Hafner returns.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think if he hits, he'll stick. He was crushing AAA before the callup and Francisco hasn't shown much.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

As an Indians fan, I expect LaPorta to stick with the big club and the struggling Ben Francisco to go down to AAA when Hafner returns.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Ok, in a very shallow league. My other pitchers are Cliff Lee, Jon Lester, AJ Burnett.

Need to drop a starter, who goes:

Tommy Hanson
David Price
Max Scherzer
Joe Saunders
Old 06-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, in a very shallow league. My other pitchers are Cliff Lee, Jon Lester, AJ Burnett.

Need to drop a starter, who goes:

Tommy Hanson
David Price
Max Scherzer
Joe Saunders

I would say Saunders and IMO its not that close. His ERA right now is nice, but less than 5k/9, a GB% of just 45%, and a BABIP of .266 don't match up. The Angels bullpen also isn't as good at holding onto leads as it has been in recent years so I doubt that you can bank on wins from Angels pitchers as you've been able to in the past.

Hanson has been up and down in his 2 starts, but has shown good stuff and has good strikeout numbers. Price has had some control issues, but still offers more than Saunders and has the potential to be dominant. Scherzer looks like he's finally settled down and is getting the chance he's deserved.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-18-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I was sure it would be Hanson (lots of pepto with him Price and Scherzer) but he was pretty calm today. For me it's between Hanson and Saunders but I'm probably leaning Saunders as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

Hanson or Saunders
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

What is everyone's general view on fantasy baseball trades and discussing other owner's offers?

I'm dead in the water for this year and I've had 4 owners banging on me for Pujols and have an offer that I like that will be tough to beat. Other owners in our league have a tendency post trades to say 'Oh, I could have beat that...' so, I'm tempted to just tell these guys what the offer is and say.. beat that, but not sure if that is poor form. Although, different case because Pujols is the main name and thats a stat changer. (There was a 5th owner involved, but I told him and he went ah.. ya, nevermind.)
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
What is everyone's general view on fantasy baseball trades and discussing other owner's offers?

I'm dead in the water for this year and I've had 4 owners banging on me for Pujols and have an offer that I like that will be tough to beat. Other owners in our league have a tendency post trades to say 'Oh, I could have beat that...' so, I'm tempted to just tell these guys what the offer is and say.. beat that, but not sure if that is poor form. Although, different case because Pujols is the main name and thats a stat changer. (There was a 5th owner involved, but I told him and he went ah.. ya, nevermind.)

First you post here to make sure it's a good deal since you're trading away the best player in the league..

In answer to your question, I've done it both ways and it depends on the guys in your league. You have to read them and decide how they would respond to the situation. Some guys will up their offers while others might use that somehow against you. Tough call unless you know the owners well.

I continue to wonder when the other shoe is going to drop on my team. I am doing NL 5x5 (OBP replacing Avg) and am dominating my league. I'm in first place by 24.5 wins and have a .731 winning percentage. This is the first year I really drafted with a strategy in mind and had it work out very well for me. I'm not without my concerns as the trade deadline comes as some of my guys might be on the move.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #17
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
First you post here to make sure it's a good deal since you're trading away the best player in the league..

Well, if you are curious.... (This is a Auction Style, 5x5, NL Only, 6 year keeper league). Contract is the value at the beginning of the 2010 season. Number is parens is the year the contract expires (at the end of the season). Contracts go up $5 a year in years 4,5,6...

1. I get - Werth $5, (2013), Fielder $20 (2010), C. Tracy $3 (2015), C. Ruiz $5 (2015), C. Barmes $5 (2015), Spilborghs $14 (2015)

I give - H. Pence $27 (2012), A. Pujols $47 (2015), J. Reyes $50 (2015), B. Hawpe (2009), C. Zambrano $23 (2015), W. Taveras $28 (2010), C. Jones $25 (2015)

2. I get - J. Bruce $12 (2014), A. McCutcheon $19 (2015), A. Bastardo $5 (2015), J. Parker $13 (unassigned.. starts when in MLB), J. Smardjizajazia $3 (2015)

Give - Pujols, Hawpe, Reyes, Zambrano

3. I get - J. Votto $25 (2012), K. Johnson $13 (2013), A. Cook $10 (2013), J. Marquis $1 (2014)

Give - Pujols, Hawpe, Tav, Zambrano

Owner 4 and 5 haven't given anything concrete just a.. are you interested in... x, y, z...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
rowech
Pro Starter

Man....your salaries for some of those guys are insane. I understand why they are what they are but you need to dump some of those salaries.

I'm curious which deal you're going with....Personally, I'd probably take the 2nd one.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Man....your salaries for some of those guys are insane. I understand why they are what they are but you need to dump some of those salaries.

I'm curious which deal you're going with....Personally, I'd probably take the 2nd one.

We have an odd league in with the 6 year keepers, it can really throw salaries off because if you get someone that hits on a $5 guy that in reality should be a $25 guy, he then has a surplus of $20.. multiply that effect and you have ALOT of money at the draft where salaries are just thrown out of whack on FA guys. For example, Willy T is that high because people chase SB's and you get weird results.

Yes, #2 is the one I'm leaning towards.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
rowech
Pro Starter

So our league trade deadline is coming up. NL only, 8 teams. I have a .719 winning percentage and a 26.5 game lead on 2nd place. These are the trade offers I've received in the last two days...

Doumit for Kershaw
I. Rodriguez for Upton
Santos, Madson, and Sadowski for Broxton
Doumit, Kawakami, and Kershaw and Broxton
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
So our league trade deadline is coming up. NL only, 8 teams. I have a .719 winning percentage and a 26.5 game lead on 2nd place. These are the trade offers I've received in the last two days...

Doumit for Kershaw
I. Rodriguez for Upton
Santos, Madson, and Sadowski for Broxton
Doumit, Kawakami, and Kershaw and Broxton

If you're receiving offers like that and you already have a 26.5 game lead over the 2nd place team, I think you need to find a tougher league.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #22
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
If you're receiving offers like that and you already have a 26.5 game lead over the 2nd place team, I think you need to find a tougher league.

The thing is it's been a decent league the last couple of years...really competitive. I tried something new this year and things broke perfectly for me. Trust me though...I'm considering either a new league or trying to get better players in the league.

What's sad is I have no doubt my team will tank in the playoffs which they all wanted four teams to get in despite only having eight teams overall.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
rowech
Pro Starter

As if I wasn't done with the league I'm in already...

Here's a trade that goes through...(NL only -- 8 teams -- 5x5 except OBP instead of AVG)

David Wright and Johnny Cueto for Chipper Jones and Chris Carpenter

Trade is vetoed within two hours. Guy asks why the trade is vetoed and I tell him it was voted on per league rules. He says he quits and proceeds to drop his entire roster.

Curious what you guys would do at this point as a commisioner? I put all of his players back on his team and have locked him from doing anything other than emailing the league or posting on the message board.

My opinion is his team is just locked at where it is...do I put in a lineup and leave it there the rest of the season or do I put all of his players on the bench?

Last edited by rowech : 07-31-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
As if I wasn't done with the league I'm in already...

Here's a trade that goes through...(NL only -- 8 teams -- 5x5 except OBP instead of AVG)

David Wright and Johnny Cueto for Chipper Jones and Chris Carpenter

Trade is vetoed within two hours. Guy asks why the trade is vetoed and I tell him it was voted on per league rules. He says he quits and proceeds to drop his entire roster.

Curious what you guys would do at this point as a commisioner? I put all of his players back on his team and have locked him from doing anything other than emailing the league or posting on the message board.

My opinion is his team is just locked at where it is...do I put in a lineup and leave it there the rest of the season or do I put all of his players on the bench?

I would lock his starting lineup in place the rest of the season and then I would leave the league at the end of the year if I were you.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

FWIW, I'd put the starters back as they were when he dropped the players (or best you can recreate it) and then lock it. That would seem to me to be the least amount of influence being exerted by the commissioner, by simply reversing his last action instead of throwing all of his games for the rest of the season. It would be the same as if he simply quit playing & abandoned the team instead of FA'ing all of his players.

And if you've got a rule (or a precedent) about abandoned teams then those might also be applied instead.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #26
rowech
Pro Starter

Do you guys think that trade is unfair? I voted against it as did three others but a friend of mine said he thinks it's pretty fair.

What I've done so far is put all of his players back on his roster and dropped all the players he had picked up. I looked at the remaining schedule. He's currently playing the 4th place team and if I bench his whole team saturday and sunday, he should lose the week 9-1. He then has to play every other team except the last place team for which it won't matter because he's so far out of it.

At this point, I'm thinking I might be best served simply to put everybody on the bench because of the way the schedule will be. Everybody will get a free 10 wins except the 4th place team who gets 9 (which I could adjust by one at the end of the season if need be) and the last place team for whom it won't matter at all.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'd say it's not a great trade but it isn't one I think I would have voted to veto either.

Of course the trade could be made to look better for the Cueto/Wright side if, for example, he's needing to improve his SB's to increase his chances of winning.

But it may be something as simple as genuinely believing he'll get more out of Wright than Jones over the remainder of the season, or that Carpenter is going to break down.

It's not a deal I would make nor even one I think most fantasy players would make but it's not like he dealt Dan Haren & Albert Pujols for Dontrelle Willis & Greg Norton either.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #28
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd say it's not a great trade but it isn't one I think I would have voted to veto either.

Of course the trade could be made to look better for the Cueto/Wright side if, for example, he's needing to improve his SB's to increase his chances of winning.

But it may be something as simple as genuinely believing he'll get more out of Wright than Jones over the remainder of the season, or that Carpenter is going to break down.

It's not a deal I would make nor even one I think most fantasy players would make but it's not like he dealt Dan Haren & Albert Pujols for Dontrelle Willis & Greg Norton either.

I'll explain my reasoning. Wright is 40 points better in average but we don't use average. We use on-base instead. Because of that, Wright is 10 points better...not a big deal at all. Then to me, the trade became about steals for homeruns which I could totally live with. I still think Wright's the better player but I can definitely live with a one-for-one swap of those two given our rules. So for me, it boils down to Carpenter for Cueto and I just can't buy that. Cueto's been plummeting and Carpenter is one a very good team and is probably the second best pitcher in the NL behind Haren.

It sucks...sucks more that I have to work with the guy...sucks more that we were friends before this and probably won't be anymore.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #29
Danny
Head Coach

Honestly, I see no reason to veto that deal. I don't think I would want to play in a league which was that strict about letting a trade go through. Unless collusion is suspected, trades should fly. Of course, his reaction was not warranted though.

Last edited by Danny : 07-31-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #30
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Honestly, I see no reason to veto that deal. I don't think I would want to play in a league which was that strict about letting a trade go through. Unless collusion is suspected, trades should fly. Of course, his reaction was not warranted though.

Sadly, I can't guarantee no collusion either. Last year we had an owner who essentially stopped doing anything at memorial day. No lineups, no placing guys on DL, no pickups, nothing. Then at the trade deadline, he suddenly picks up Manny Ramirez. It's pretty much been confirmed since then that he did call the guy up, beg him to pick up Ramirez so the guy ahead of him in the standings wouldn't get him as he was next up in the waiver wire order.

As one of the owners said right after the trade email went out, "I smell a rat" I didn't want to say this at first because I wanted to see what people thought without that knowledge.