Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Onlive...pc gaming's future?

Saw this on Kotaku this morning. Seems like the logical progression of things, but I wonder how affordable it will be?

Gdc09: OnLive Makes PC Upgrades Extinct, Lets You Play Crysis On Your TV

Quote:
You may never buy a new video card ever again. Actually, the only PC gaming hardware you might ever need will cost you less than a Wii, should OnLive's potential live up to its promise.

OnLive is a new video games on demand service that may just change the way you play PC games. The brainchild of Rearden Studios founder Steve Perlman, formerly of Atari, Apple, WebTV and more, and Mike McGarvey, formerly of Eidos, the technology looks to revolutionize the way computer games are brought home. Instead of spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on the latest video game hardware that will make games like Crysis playable at nearly maxed settings, let OnLive's servers handle the processing. All that's required is a low cost "micro console" or a low end PC and a broadband internet connection.

Yes, even your sub $500 netbook or MacBook can play processor intensive, GPU demanding PC games. In fact, that's the whole point. How does it work?

The concept is simple. Your controller input isn't going from your hand to the controller to the machine in front of you, it's going from your hand to the controller through the internet to OnLive's machines then back again as streamed video. Whether you're using a USB gamepad, Bluetooth wireless controller, or tried and true keyboard and mouse, the processing and output happens on OnLive's side, then is fed back to your terminal, with the game "perceptually" played locally.

In other words, it's cloud computed gaming.

Using patented video compression in tandem with algorithms that compensate for lag, jitter and packet loss, OnLive delivers video at up to 720p resolution at frame rates up to 60 frames per second. Of course, the quality of the video feed relies on your connection.

For standard definition television quality, a broadband connection of at least 1.5 megabits per second is required. For HDTV resolution, a connection of at least 5 mbps is needed.

What about lag, you say? OnLive's technology "incubator" Rearden Studios claims that its servers will deliver video feeds that have a ping of less than one millisecond. Its patented video compression technique is also advertised as blazing fast, with video compression taking about one millisecond to process.

That speedy delivery of video game content means more than just video games on demand, it means no install times. It also means cross-platform compatibility, the ability to try demos instantly, and an opportunity to rent or play games almost instantaneously.

It also means real-time streaming of video feeds from players far and wide playing their own games at home via OnLive which could ultimately mean broadcast style feeds to observers. Up to a million, according to OnLive reps.

The best part? It already has serious buy-in from major publishers, including EA, THQ, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Atari, Warner Bros., Take-Two, and Epic Games. Oh, and 2D Boy.

The appeal on the publisher side is that it essentially means less opportunity for profit-whittling piracy. There's little modification on the developer side to make a game run with OnLive. There's even an SDK available. On the consumer side, the prospect of no cheating—or at least heavily reduced cheating—is also desirable.

OnLive is showing 16 of the games planned for the service this week at GDC, some of them playable on low-spec machines, the kind of Dell your grandmother might buy.

Of course, they'll also be playable on OnLive's micro console, a simple, low-cost device that's about the size of your hand. It's simple tech—there's not even a GPU in the device. It simply acts as a video decoding control hub, with two USB inputs and support for four Bluetooth devices, and outputs audio and video via optical and HDMI connections. The micro console is expected to be priced competitively, "significantly less" than any current generation console on the market and potentially "free" with an OnLive service contract.

Plans for a monthly subscription are in the works, said to be priced on par with Xbox Live fees, offering the same community and multiplayer features popularized by Microsoft's gaming service. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the unified OnLive community is the option to save and upload Brag Clips, a 15 second replay of, well, whatever just happened in-game.

We too were a little suspicious of OnLive's capability to deliver perceptually lag-free on-demand games. But then we played a hasty online game of Crysis Wars on the service today and became a little less suspicious. It seemed to work. Obviously, it was in a controlled environment with only a few hundred internal beta testers populating the system. But it worked.

Will it work in the wild? It might. OnLive is currently beta testing internally, with an external beta planned for Summer and a launch later this year. Expected to be deployed by launch will be five server centers hosting the latest and greatest games—OnLive isn't aiming to be GameTap, with no immediate plans to host archival PC games. Server clusters will be located in Santa Clara, Texas, Virginia and elsewhere, hoping to offer OnLive subscribers within 1,000 miles a seemingly lag-free experience.

We'll be testing the service later this week, letting you know what we thought.

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
and a broadband internet connection.

wonder how the internet companies will feel about this and how long till they'll throttle/meter/etc

I'm not getting my hopes up yet
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I hope this isn't the future. Too many games out there with modding communities.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

I was reading about this on IGN yesterday. They were able to run Crysis on a Macbook Air and said it was both playable and fun.

Its definitely something PC gaming needs and hopefully it gets a lot of support.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-24-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I hope this isn't the future. Too many games out there with modding communities.

I'm hoping if there is enough demand, they could have different mod servers.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

that too!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wonder how the internet companies will feel about this and how long till they'll throttle/meter/etc

I'm not getting my hopes up yet

but they would recoup some of the bandwidth by having less pirated game downloads.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

People get annoyed that their LCD panel introduces mouse lag because of the video processing delay. How will this account for internet delay before you see your movement?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The target customer isn't your typical hardcore gamer that would care enough to mod their games. They don't expect to pull in that type of gamer for anything other than demos (which can be streamed to your computer with no downloads).

What they're hoping to do is pull in the people that have quit playing PC games because they can't or don't want to keep up with the hardware demands along with console gamers.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Why would they need to stop at PC gaming for this, couldn't they do console games too?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
wishbone
High School JV

This might work well for FOF or the Sims but not for twitch games. Who wants to play their games at 720p? Looking at the Feb 2009 Steam hardware survey, 60+% of people (who took the survey) already game at 1280*1024 or higher with no growth in the lower resolutions. Between the lag and the low resolution, this service will deliver an experience that is less than what people are already getting.

This will attract the same customer base as WebTV and people who have broadband so they don't have to hear a modem.

I do like how they lump "your sub $500 netbook or MacBook" together.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote