Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Report: Lions to draft Baylor OT Jason Smith #1

Hot off the Wire - Fantasy Football News

Not a lot there but earlier reports indicated the Lions were in talks with one player as of today.

Hope it's true.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola .. Smith, Curry and Stafford were in up till now and Lewand said today they'd sign someone tomorrow if it made sense. It could have legs.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Right choice, but the timing is puzzling. Personally I would have tried to leverage Smith, Sanchez, Curry, and Monroe off of each other and save the money. But i guess we'll see when the numbers come out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I would have went with a QB but if Smith is a franchise tackle a la Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, etc... then great pick.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

this still may be premature but itd make sense based on info today
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

imo best pick, doesn't matter who you put at QB if the O-line is always crap.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
imo best pick, doesn't matter who you put at QB if the O-line is always crap.

I agree. You rebuild a team up front on the offensive and defensive lines. If I was the Lions, I would probably trade down if I could grab a couple other high picks.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I would have went with a QB but if Smith is a franchise tackle a la Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, etc... then great pick.

But this is the Lions and getting a QB who has consistency issues, isn't somebody you want at 1.1. If you talk to their coach he is big on building inside out. If the lines are crap(and the OL is), then you aren't going anywhere regardless of who is the QB. I won't be surprised if they went DT at #20 because it further backs what Schwartz wants to do. Well, that and the fact that the Lions couldn't run stop anybody.

I don't think it's the complete ideal pick with Backus being the starting LT with an overpriced contract, but this should be something(crosses fingers) that looks better down the road once he's off the books. Raiola needs to be replaced as well. So much of the pressure came from straight up the middle against the Lions.

Stanton might not be the guy, but I don't think you burn a 2nd round pick on him and even before he gets a chance to do much of anything go, "Oh look, a QB with a big arm."
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If I was the Lions, I would probably trade down if I could grab a couple other high picks.

They've probably tried. No one wants to move up to the #1, take that cap hit if there isn't some amazing "can't miss" player up there.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
They've probably tried. No one wants to move up to the #1, take that cap hit if there isn't some amazing "can't miss" player up there.

Yep, trading up to one is really difficult to do since the pick holds such a huge amount of value. Even going from 1.4 to 1.1 is pretty costly. Looking at the trade calculator...

1.1: 3.0K
1.2: 2.6K
1.3: 2.2K
1.4: 1.8K

You end up having to trade something like the 1.4 and 1.12(1.2K) just to attempt it. Add in this draft doesn't have that one guy that you absolutely need and few teams want to move up that high.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

See, I disagree - the "trade value" chart is meaningless; it was one team's metric but really, needs to be adjusted for the draft talent distribution. IMO, if I'm the Lions, and someone at 10 or 11 offers me their 1(10) and 2(10), I jump at it - the difference between talent is simply not that high in this draft. I mean, when was the last time someone traded into the top 5? I can't recall - its because no one really wants to, no matter how much fun it is to speculate.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Most of the trades I remember involve a team that already had a high draft pick, like the Vick/Tomlinson draft pick trade and the Rivers/Manning after pick trade. Or the Redskins trading the 6th and 28th pick in the 1992 draft for the 4th pick to grab Desmond Howard.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The NFL Draft makes me miss Mike Ditka.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is a good move, because whoever they drafted at QB would have had a far better shot at becoming Tim Couch/David Carr than Matt Ryan/Big Ben, simply based on the team around them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I hope that the new NFL CBA has a rookie pay scale for the first few rounds. Shift money from the top 10 picks down through the first couple of rounds.

Still give the same amount of overall money to the rookies, but simply make it so that the guy drafted at #31 does better than he is doing now, and the guy drafted at #2 does worse.

That would make top picks more valuable and, hopefully, increase trading of the top picks, which is always fun for the fans.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I hope that the new NFL CBA has a rookie pay scale for the first few rounds. Shift money from the top 10 picks down through the first couple of rounds.

Still give the same amount of overall money to the rookies, but simply make it so that the guy drafted at #31 does better than he is doing now, and the guy drafted at #2 does worse.

That would make top picks more valuable and, hopefully, increase trading of the top picks, which is always fun for the fans.

Why? I never understood the point of slotting rookie salaries. How is it the league's business how much each particular rookie makes?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Why? I never understood the point of slotting rookie salaries. How is it the league's business how much each particular rookie makes?

Isn't that part of the collective bargaining agreement, and something that was pushed at least as much by the NFLPA as the owners? Or am I just outta my tree here?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Because with a total salary cap any money spent on rookies is taken away from veterans. It makes perfect sense that the owners and players would agree to limit initial salaries and by default increase salaries for experienced players.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #19
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Isn't that part of the collective bargaining agreement, and something that was pushed at least as much by the NFLPA as the owners? Or am I just outta my tree here?

I assumed it was completely pushed by the NFLPA. The owners are probably neutral on the matter. As a fan, I have a different perspective. But of course, no one asked what I think.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #20
Peregrine
Pro Starter

This seems like a good move, especially if (as rumored) they are going to make a strong drive towards trading for Cutler.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #21
molson
General Manager

So how much money would the Lions save just "passing" in the #1 pick and wating until around #7 to make their first pick? I'm surprised we haven't seen a team do that yet (assuming that's still the draft mechanism in place, I haven't heard otherwise).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So how much money would the Lions save just "passing" in the #1 pick and wating until around #7 to make their first pick? I'm surprised we haven't seen a team do that yet (assuming that's still the draft mechanism in place, I haven't heard otherwise).

Probably none because when Rivers was traded for Eli his agent wanted #1 money. Any agent worth a salt would bend them over the barrel. It'd be bad enough PR even if they planned to do it, but then for the guy to hold out and have it blow up in their face?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #23
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I thought of that too, but that could be a mess. You'd have the player they pick claiming that they were the #1 pick and then the person that was pick first with the #2 pick claiming that they were first and then the NFLPA would probably claim that Detroit was trying to get out of paying salary..

Messy probably, but interesting.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #24
Bad-example
College Starter

The Lions drafting an OT in the first round. I wonder what his bars will look like after they switch him to receiver.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
The Lions drafting an OT in the first round. I wonder what his bars will look like after they switch him to receiver.

Ok I admit it, this cracked me UP!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I thought of that too, but that could be a mess. You'd have the player they pick claiming that they were the #1 pick and then the person that was pick first with the #2 pick claiming that they were first and then the NFLPA would probably claim that Detroit was trying to get out of paying salary..

True. So how about a scenerio where the Lions actually give something up to move down - a 1(1) and a 5th for a 1(6).....That would probably never happen, though you could argue it would be a good move for the Lions.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The total rookie pool is determined by the collective bargaining agreement.

Actually, Goodell mentioned during last year's draft that he would push hard for a rookie wage scale, and a still breathing Gene Upshaw insisted that the union would never agree to one.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #28
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

What site is picking #2 in the mock draft?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #29
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here is more ..

Citing sources "with intimate knowledge of the situation" KFFL reiterates that Jason Smith is expected to be the Lions' No. 1 overall pick, but admits that Detroit is negotiating with other players.

KFFL reports that Detroit is negotiating with Smith, Matt Stafford, and Aaron Curry, but says Smith is "believed to be" the top choice and an announcement could come within two weeks. We're over a month from draft day and caution that this story is likely to take many forms in the coming weeks. Take this with a huge grain of salt.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #30
Travis
Pro Rookie

So how likely is it that the Lions try to trade up into the second half of the 1st to nab Freeman?

And assuming this does go down this way, should mean the Seahawks have a crack at Stafford and/or Crabtree at #4 (I'm assuming Curry is off the board in the top 3). Really torn on which direction I'd like to see them go there though. Only way I can see Seattle going OT at #4 is if there is word that Walter Jones' recovery isn't going well so I certainly hope they don't take OT.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Does anyone recall what happened salarywise when the Vikings did this several years ago? Where did the guy they finally ended up drafting end up getting slotted?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
So how likely is it that the Lions try to trade up into the second half of the 1st to nab Freeman?

Don't the Lions still have the #20 pick?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yes.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #34
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Does anyone recall what happened salarywise when the Vikings did this several years ago? Where did the guy they finally ended up drafting end up getting slotted?

Not sure, I don't remember hearing anything although, that was pick 8/9. I think the #1 pick would raise more of a ruckus.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #35
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant trading up from that spot if they feel that Freeman is going to go higher or would they be pretty confident they could land him there (if he's a guy they're high on, I haven't read anything for or against that particular point).
Old 03-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #36
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

IIRC there was a big fuss about it by the agents for both players involved and they held out of the start of camp trying to sort it out.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant trading up from that spot if they feel that Freeman is going to go higher or would they be pretty confident they could land him there (if he's a guy they're high on, I haven't read anything for or against that particular point).

There's a lot of talk that Tampa Bay loves Freeman...and they conveniently pick right in front of Detroit at 19. So yeah, if they want him, they'd probably need to move up a couple spots (which TB could do too of course).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #38
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
What site is picking #2 in the mock draft?

#2 should be a tackle since they need one.

And the Lions shouldn't pass their pick to get it later to save money. It would just be a tremendous PR gaffe if they did do it and it's not like the Lions have the best PR image right now as is.