Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Donte Stallworth...Manslaughter?

Miami police won't confirm Donte Stallworth report - ESPN

A Television station has reported that Stallworth had a blood alcohol level of .12 when he struck and killed a man last saturday night. The Miami police said they wouldn't release the official results until they make an arrest, which doesn't necessarily mean they don't already have the results. Absolutely classless.

Somewhere, Plaxico Burress is celebrating.

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
molson
General Manager

That's some serious shit - you usually get about 6-7 years for DUI manslaughter (without priors).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

What a douche.

You have a $35 million contract and you can't a few hundred on a limo or a taxi?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

Didn't this happen at like 7 in the morning? You have a BAC of .12 at 7 in the morning?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Didn't this happen at like 7 in the morning? You have a BAC of .12 at 7 in the morning?

Dude, that's what happens when you're up in da club.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
johneh
Mascot

The acident happened just hours after he got his roster bonus of $4 million
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
The acident happened just hours after he got his roster bonus of $4 million

So the Browns are now financing manslaughter.

They just can't win.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

tragic and stupid all wrapped up in one
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sadly, it'll be the second former Vol involved in a fatal drunk driving incident in recent years, following in the footsteps of Leonard Little.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And his career path has turned into a real deterrent for NFL players who follow. Sigh.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sadly, it'll be the second former Vol involved in a fatal drunk driving incident in recent years, following in the footsteps of Leonard Little.

Did Little get jailtime for it? I'd imagine this would end Stallworth's career.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Did Little get jailtime for it? I'd imagine this would end Stallworth's career.

After attending a drunken birthday party in 1998, Little crashed into and killed another motorist, Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, MO. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level that exceeds the statutory level of intoxication of 0.08 in the state of Missouri. Little received 90 days in jail, four years probation and 1000 hours of community service.

And if the numbers are correct, Little was actually quite a bit drunker than Stallworth & also hit a much easier to avoid target.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

You've got to be fucking kidding me.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

About which part?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Leonard Little...90 days???

It's a good thing I'm a pacifist.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
miked
College Starter

Dany Heatley was given probation, but then again, he wasn't over the legal limit, just drinking and driving his Ferrari at crazy speeds in the side streets of Atlanta.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Leonard Little...90 days???

It's a good thing I'm a pacifist.

Surprised you didn't know about it. There was a big uproar over the light punishment at the time, and it was a national uproar. On top of that, Little became a key player for the Rams in their Super Bowl runs after that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Who?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Dany Heatley was given probation, but then again, he wasn't over the legal limit, just drinking and driving his Ferrari at crazy speeds in the side streets of Atlanta.

And if I'm recalling correctly the person who died was a passenger in his vehicle, not a pedestrian.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

Wasn't that Little's second drunken driving charge too? Or maybe even the second time he hit someone?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

to bad he didn't kill himself
Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wasn't that Little's second drunken driving charge too? Or maybe even the second time he hit someone?

I think he actually got another one a few years later but was acquitted on the primary charge.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #23
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
And if I'm recalling correctly the person who died was a passenger in his vehicle, not a pedestrian.

Correct, he wrecked his car when he lost control (near Lenox Mall area) and he was drinking, but not above the legal limit. Obviously it's hard to control a Ferrari in a residential neighborhood going around 80, worse when you've been drinking. The passenger was his teammate.

From wiki:
Heatley was charged with vehicular homicide; he pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular homicide, driving too fast for conditions, failure to maintain a lane, and speeding.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
RainMaker
General Manager

There was a guy where I went to college who killed a pedestrian (and hurt some others) while leaving a bar drunk. I want to say he got 3 years. But he wasn't an athlete/celebrity so it's different.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #25
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

He will probably get a couple months in jail, "probation", and "community service". He shouldn't be treated any differently than Joe Schmo would get 5 to 10.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
There was a guy where I went to college who killed a pedestrian (and hurt some others) while leaving a bar drunk. I want to say he got 3 years. But he wasn't an athlete/celebrity so it's different.

IMO athletes/ celebrities should get more, they at least have the means to hire a driver.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #27
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
IMO athletes/ celebrities should get more, they at least have the means to hire a driver.

That's a stupid argument.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
He shouldn't be treated any differently than Joe Schmo would get 5 to 10.

That's not really the impression I get, at least not around here.

We just had a case where a woman ran over a cop directing traffic outside an elementary school. Weather was fine, she's stone cold sober, she drove the route regularly, visibility was normal, nothing out of the ordinary ... except that for some never really explained reason she literally ran him over right in the middle of the street, killing him at the scene.

Two years probation, 80 hours of community service, and no criminal record if she completes the probation. They didn't even suspend her f'n license.

In some ways I think she's probably a greater risk to the community than a Stallworth or Little.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
That's a stupid argument.

and it makes alot more sense that they get treated lightly because they can hire better lawyers.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #30
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
and it makes alot more sense that they get treated lightly because they can hire better lawyers.

So because you have the money, you should have a driver? What is the right amount money? 50k, 75k, 100k? Your a smart guy but that argument makes zero sense. Even with a high priced lawyer guess who decides what happens to the celebrity? The people.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #31
johneh
Mascot

Stallworth should already be in jail from theft based on his 2008 season.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So because you have the money, you should have a driver? What is the right amount money? 50k, 75k, 100k? Your a smart guy but that argument makes zero sense. Even with a high priced lawyer guess who decides what happens to the celebrity? The people.

If you make millions of dollars a year you should have the sense and the means to hire a driver.

And the people don't decide what happens to them. They always plea down so it doesn't get to a trial.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #33
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
If you make millions of dollars a year you should have the sense and the means to hire a driver.

And the people don't decide what happens to them. They always plea down so it doesn't get to a trial.

Who votes in the District Attorney? The people. The judge? Most cases the people.

Just because you have millions doesn't mean you have to have a driver or face a stiffer penalty.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #34
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Earning potential and wisdom have zero correlation.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Who votes in the District Attorney? The people. The judge? Most cases the people.

I think you are stretching a bit here.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #36
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
I think you are stretching a bit here.

Yeah okay.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #37
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Just because you have millions doesn't mean you have to have a driver or face a stiffer penalty.

That's up to the judge - they lawfully have that discretion, and can and do punish people more because they should know better, or had means that other people don't. For example, a drug-addict kid from a broken home might get the benefit of the doubt and more chances at rehabilitation than someone with access to the best treatment that doesn't take advantage of it.

Driving drunk when you have the means not to is incredibly stupid, and definitely speaks to legitimate sentencing factors.

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #38
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't think Stallworth should be treated worse than the average person. I think everyone should be treated worse. If you don't have a ride, then drink at home. If you refuse to do that, then you don't have the right to be on the road.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yeah okay.

you don't think it's a stretch to go from - the judge decides the sentence-the people vote for the judge-hence the people decide the sentence?
Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #40
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Legally? No. In the court of public opinion? Yes.

Athletes (and others who have money, like movie and music celebs, or CEOs, or landed wealth) who choose to drink and drive rather than hiring drivers or getting a taxi are dumbasses on a historic level (beyond the level of stupidity needed just for the drinking and driving part alone).

Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #41
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's up to the judge - they lawfully have that discretion, and can and do punish people more because they should know better, or had means that other people don't. For example, a drug-addict kid from a broken home might get the benefit of the doubt and more chances at rehabilitation than someone with access to the best treatment that doesn't take advantage of it.

That's seems very subjective and shouldn't the court be impartial?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #42
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Sentencings are pretty much a free-for-all, compared to the restrictions of trials and hearings. When I prosecuted, the sentencing argument was my favorite part - it was the only time I wasn't terrified of saying something that would get the case overturned on appeal.

Judges should definitely be impartial - a defense attorney could very fairly make the argument you're making here, and the judge might go along with it.

But if this was some poor guy who had one too many, and drove home becaue he had no other option, and he's the only provider for his family so thus he can't go to jail for long, you can bet the defense attorney would be highlighting that.

(Of course, this all assumes an "open" sentencing - mostly likely there would be a plea deal and a joint recomendation for a sentence that the judge would go along with)

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #43
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
you don't think it's a stretch to go from - the judge decides the sentence-the people vote for the judge-hence the people decide the sentence?

If you don't like the fact celebrities get off easy then make sure the DA or the Judge doesn't get elected again. Ultimately the people decide because preferential treatment has been around a long time and continue to exist because people don't object to it with their vote.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #44
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Legally? No. In the court of public opinion? Yes.

Athletes (and others who have money, like movie and music celebs, or CEOs, or landed wealth) who choose to drink and drive rather than hiring drivers or getting a taxi are dumbasses on a historic level (beyond the level of stupidity needed just for the drinking and driving part alone).

Honestly the court of public opinion certainly doesn't mean much because the public's opinion can be swayed back in your favor. (Kobe Bryant)
Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #45
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Courts make subjective judgments all the time, taking into account extenuating circumstances when it's not an exact fit with the law as written. And molson would know, since he used to be (still is?) a prosecutor.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #46
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I'd like to point out here that I DESPISE elections for judicial offices. A judge should only be thinking about what the law says, not what his constituents want. The way it is now you have the bizaare case of justices hearing cases involving their campaign contributors. Do we really trust them to be fair?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #47
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly the court of public opinion certainly doesn't mean much because the public's opinion can be swayed back in your favor. (Kobe Bryant)

Tell that to Kobe's bank account, which received the negative impact of his lack of endorsement deals for several years, including some prime earning years. Tell that to Michael Phelps, who lost a ton of money with this marijuana thing. Tell that to Mickey Rourke, who's drinking/drug issues basically led him to missing out on being an actual leading man in Hollywood for the 20 best years for him to have done so. Tell that to Manny, who's rumored lack of effort in Boston to get traded resulted in a significantly less quality contract signed late, late in this offseason.

Public opinion does matter. There are whole industries based on that.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #48
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If you don't like the fact celebrities get off easy then make sure the DA or the Judge doesn't get elected again. Ultimately the people decide because preferential treatment has been around a long time and continue to exist because people don't object to it with their vote.

People elect public officials to make decisions for them but ultimatly the decision goes to the one person elected to handle that responsibility. If the elected official makes enogh poor decicions they may not be reelected, but that doesn't change the fact the final call was ultimatly theirs.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #49
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Tell that to Kobe's bank account, which received the negative impact of his lack of endorsement deals for several years, including some prime earning years. Tell that to Michael Phelps, who lost a ton of money with this marijuana thing. Tell that to Mickey Rourke, who's drinking/drug issues basically led him to missing out on being an actual leading man in Hollywood for the 20 best years for him to have done so. Tell that to Manny, who's rumored lack of effort in Boston to get traded resulted in a significantly less quality contract signed late, late in this offseason.

Actually I used Kobe as an example because he lost a lot of his endorsements and while he hasn't gotten them all back he has still be able to garner some back.

When I say public opinion doesn't matter I meant the person is free who cares what people think.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Umm it's just a sidebar but ... where does Mickey Rourke really fit into that sequence? His losses seem to be more about industry opinion than public opinion. I'm not particularly aware that anybody in the public really gave a damn what Rourke drank, snorted, or otherwise. That was people in the business who didn't trust him enough to want to work with him.