Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ex-QB-turned-fugitive Komlo killed in car crash

Strange story, I had no idea about all of this stuff going on.

Police: Fugitive Ex-NFL QB killed in Greece crash | ajc.com
WEST CHESTER, Pa. — Pennsylvania authorities say a former NFL quarterback who failed to show for sentencing on drunken driving charges nearly four years ago has been killed in a car crash in Greece.

A Chester County detective says authorities had initially been skeptical about reports of William "Jeff" Komlo's death in a weekend crash.

But acting chief county detective Jim Vito says the State Department used fingerprints to confirm the crash victim was indeed the 52-year-old fugitive.

In July 2005, Komlo failed to show for sentencing on two drunken driving convictions. He had also failed to show for an unrelated hearing two months earlier.

Komlo was also under investigation for fires at home in Pennsylvania and Florida.

Komlo played for the Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers between 1979 and 1983.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2009 at 09:51 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Never heard of him. Sounds like a real winner though. Backup-QB gone bad!!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-20-2009 at 09:54 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Philliesfan980
Banned

Very ironic.

I live about 10 minutes from West Chester, I wonder why the story is coming from there.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Very ironic.

I live about 10 minutes from West Chester, I wonder why the story is coming from there.

Probably because that is where the drunk driving charges that he skipped out on were held at.

I don't know who this guy is at all... 1979 was about when I started getting into football, but I probably couldn't tell you any Falcons QB other than Bartkowski until the mid-80s.. So don't remember him at all.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Who?

(I say this not really caring that anyone answers, but before I go to teh internets for my research)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

I wonder if he was drunk in the crash that killed him?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I wonder if he was drunk in the crash that killed him?

Things that make you go "hmmmm..."
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I've actually heard of Jeff. '79 was when I first got into football. The Lions were the ones that were on the local radio and TV, so naturally I gravitated toward them. The Lions actually had a decent QB at that time, Gary Danielson, but he got hurt either in preseason or very early in the season. They put in Jeff Komlo, and he was awful. Really, really bad. The team went 2-14 under his "leadership", and somehow they either buried him or got rid of him. That was probably the worst team between last season and the time when they wore those leather helmet thingies.

But that season did have its highlight... it led us to the #1 overall pick that year, Billy Sims. Not too many people remember him anymore, because a few years later they gave his number to some kid from Oklahoma State. I forget his name.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Komlo's untimely death and sorry to hear that life had not been going well for him after his (ahem) career ended.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Who?

(I say this not really reading the first post that clearly identifies him "a former NFL quarterback ... for the Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers between 1979 and 1983.")

Fixed.

Reading is hard.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Fixed.

Reading is hard.

But really, is this newsworthy? The guy played nearly 30 years ago and was a backup. I'm sure there is a former football player dieing nearly everyday...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
But really, is this newsworthy? The guy played nearly 30 years ago and was a backup. I'm sure there is a former football player dieing nearly everyday...

I remember him both as the Lions starter and as part of the Falcons roster even though he doesn't seem to have played in a regular season game for them.

Some of us other than Bucc do actually remember things from 30 years ago pretty well, hard though that may be to believe. Just because you were 3 years old at the time doesn't mean the rest of us were.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Is it front page NY Times newsworthy? No.

Is it thread on a Internet Message Board about an text sim football game newsworthy? Uh... What isn't?

How many former football players are dieing nearly everyday car crashes in Greece, while being on the lam from the police for failing to show for sentencing on two drunken driving convictions and an unrelated hearing two, while also being under investigation for fires at home in Pennsylvania and Florida? In fact, he has had such a checkered past that authorities had initially been skeptical about his death until the State Department used fingerprints to confirm the crash victim was indeed the 52-year-old fugitive.

(By the way, again, everything in the above paragraph was taken pretty much word for word from the story in Jon's original post. So, I say, yet again: Reading is hard.)

It's not like he simply passed quietly in his sleep. The events were, indeed, peculiar.

I do appreciate your sudden desire to be the obituaries editor here at FOFC. It's nice to have standards.

p.s. Lilly Allen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I remember him both as the Lions starter and as part of the Falcons roster even though he doesn't seem to have played in a regular season game for them.

Some of us other than Bucc do actually remember things from 30 years ago pretty well, hard though that may be to believe. Just because you were 3 years old at the time doesn't mean the rest of us were.

so 20 years from now when we get a "Damon Huard died" thread i'm totally going to be all over that shit like white on rice
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fixed.

Reading is hard.

Like I give a fuck
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Is it front page NY Times newsworthy? No.

Is it thread on a Internet Message Board about an text sim football game newsworthy? Uh... What isn't?

How many former football players are dieing nearly everyday car crashes in Greece, while being on the lam from the police for failing to show for sentencing on two drunken driving convictions and an unrelated hearing two, while also being under investigation for fires at home in Pennsylvania and Florida? In fact, he has had such a checkered past that authorities had initially been skeptical about his death until the State Department used fingerprints to confirm the crash victim was indeed the 52-year-old fugitive.

(By the way, again, everything in the above paragraph was taken pretty much word for word from the story in Jon's original post. So, I say, yet again: Reading is hard.)

It's not like he simply passed quietly in his sleep. The events were, indeed, peculiar.

I do appreciate your sudden desire to be the obituaries editor here at FOFC. It's nice to have standards.

p.s. Lilly Allen.

I concede to the distinguished gentlemen in Michigan. Who is this Lily Allen you speak of?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I concede to the distinguished gentlemen in Michigan. Who is this Lily Allen you speak of?

Ask that cranky fucker with the wad of gauze in his mouth. He'll tell you.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Like I give a fuck

Then why in the blue fucking hell bother to post at all? I could post "who" in half the threads up in this mother at times but instead I just shake my head and move on unless I actually have some curiosity about who the person is supposed to be.

And in this particular case the bio info was there, it isn't just some random photo of some obscure 4th rate pseudo-celeb or hack musician wannabe or crack addict or slut or general all purpose freak whose parents didn't bother to attempt to raise with no context provided to give normal people the slightest clue who they're supposed to be.

Don't give a fuck? Then stay the fuck out of the thread or better yet just shut the fuck up.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Then why in the blue fucking hell bother to post at all? I could post "who" in half the threads up in this mother at times but instead I just shake my head and move on unless I actually have some curiosity about who the person is supposed to be.

Umm.. my original comment was a joke based on the Natasha Richardson thread since everyone had much sand in their vagina about someone saying Who?

Go smoke some cigarettes and chill out. Yeesh

Last edited by Mustang : 03-20-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Umm.. my original comment was a joke based on the Natasha Richardson thread since everyone had much sand in their vagina about someone saying Who?

Go smoke some cigarettes and chill out. Yeesh

Then the time for this post was in your previous reply, instead of
Quote:
Like I give a fuck

That's the one that prompted my heartfelt reply, not the original.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
dieing

Quote:
dieing

Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm glad I'm doing my part of piss off the board this week, makes me feel useful while wasting time away at work...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Hey blame my Firefox spellchecker!

It doesn't say dieing is wrong... even though I know it's dying...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Hey blame my Firefox spellchecker!

It doesn't say dieing is wrong... even though I know it's dying...

And I was just using his exact words. I considered add (sic), but thought it unnecessary. I guess Mr. Big Red X disagrees.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quick, we need boxes and boxes of Midol to this thread...STAT!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Quick, we need boxes and boxes of Midol to this thread...STAT!

I was thinking more like Preparation H...
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You could just leave the thread and alleviate the need for it. But if you're going to do that then do it quick before the Prep H arrives, otherwise we'll be left with no asshole to apply it to.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #28
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

The moral of the thread is that if you want a pissing match, post about a dead person.

Just wait until Lily Allen dies.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just wait until Lily Allen dies.

Who?

edit to add:
Quote:
The moral of the thread is that if you want a pissing match, post about a dead person.

Hey, if I had the option I'd just go with "people lose posts" at this point but I believe that option no longer exists so there's not much I can do.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Poor Keff Komlo.

It appears that the thread about his death is as disastrous as was his life.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #31
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Poor Keff Komlo.

It appears that the thread about his death is as disastrous as was his life.

It's all in a days fun on FOFC. Let's all reset and start again.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #32
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I could go for some Milk of Magnesia, personally.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #33
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ok ladies, just put some Oprah on and then take a warm bubble bath.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #34
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Is it sad I know of this guy solely because I remember the name from my Statis Pro Football set. I remember he stunk. Such is his legacy.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #35
SFL Cat
College Starter

Wondered who he played college for...here it is...if anyone gives a f*ck.

Jeff Komlo played at the University of Delaware under head coach Tubby Raymond and led the Blue Hens to a second-place finish in the 1978 NCAA Division II playoffs. During his Delaware career, Komlo set 11 school records and passed for 5,256 yards.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #36
molson
General Manager

I just looked at all of the threads DanGarion started here to make sure they were appropriately newsworthy. I think he might have some kind of record for starting posts nobody replies to.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I just looked at all of the threads DanGarion started here to make sure they were appropriately newsworthy. I think he might have some kind of record for starting posts nobody replies to.

Yeah 9 in six years... that's so many...
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #38
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
You could just leave the thread and alleviate the need for it. But if you're going to do that then do it quick before the Prep H arrives, otherwise we'll be left with no asshole to apply it to.

Not to be pedantic but you said this wrong.

WHEN PLAYGROUND TAUNTS GO BAD

This week on FOFC.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #39
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue View Post
But that season did have its highlight... it led us to the #1 overall pick that year, Billy Sims. Not too many people remember him anymore, because a few years later they gave his number to some kid from Oklahoma State. I forget his name.

Not to mention Erik Hipple. It got you Hipple.