Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Kings on NBC

Did anyone catch the two hour premier on Sunday? Looked kind of interesting and wondering if I should delve into my DVD and watch this tonight.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I saw it on Sunday. I thought it was interesting I guess. I was only paying like 50% attention but it seemed to have an interesting premise, although we'll have to see what they do with it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

It has a ton of potential and did a great job of setting itself up. Having said that, they'll have to pick up their game for it to really work.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

I will echo the thoughts of the other commenters. Has some potential, but will need to do more to gain my interest.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-18-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't recommend getting too attached to it ...
Media Life Magazine - Royal pain: NBC's new 'Kings' topples

NBC’s new drama “Kings” looks like a royal flop.

The premiere of the new series, airing from 8 to 10 p.m. last night, managed just a 1.6 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights, a very distant fourth in its timeslot and barely beating Univision in its final half hour.

“Kings” averaged a 1.6 in its first hour and a 1.7 in its second, and it managed 6 million total viewers for the entire program.

The show, a modern retelling of David and Goliath, received mixed reviews from TV critics, and it had no lead-in to speak of. “Dateline” at 7 p.m. averaged a mere 1.1 18-49 rating.

It marked the second less-than-stellar series debut this week for NBC, whose premiere of reality show “The Chopping Block” managed just a 1.4 on Wednesday.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Be nice if NBC wouldn't fuck-over their new shows by giving them no lead-in. Why are you putting this show on a Sunday night after Dateline? Really? Who's sitting there watching TV and watching Dateline? Not really your audience for this show.

Put it in ER's timeslot on a Thursday and give ER one week off before the end or wait till ER is done in a month.

As for Chopping Block - that's a shame. Marco Pierre White is quite the character and I like seeing him on it. At least I can content myself with watching "Last Restaurant Standing" on BBC-America (essentially the same premise but with Raymond Blanc as the chef and each of the sets of partners are given their own individual restaurant to run).
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
muns
Pro Starter

I enjoyed it. I want to see where it goes from here. I agree with the others that it has potential, but from the post from Jon it seems it wont get a chance to reach it.

Last edited by muns : 03-18-2009 at 08:57 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Did anyone catch the two hour premier on Sunday? Looked kind of interesting and wondering if I should delve into my DVD and watch this tonight.

Yeah, go ahead. It has potential. Some obvious parallels to the David story in the Bible and Ian McShane is a badass.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

I thought it was good enough to keep watching.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

I caught up to this on my DVR and have to say it's a really good show. Love the Biblical references and agree that Ian McShane is phenomenal. It's a far too intelligent show to make it on the air these days, but will enjoy the 13 or so episodes we get.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it end long before all the intrigue is resolved, but they are building quite a web and peppering it with great biblical stuff (and who else to play the king in such a story than McShane). The final twist of tonight's episode was just great.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm a big fan of epic style movies and this really builds itself on that style. It's well written and I'm really digging the production of the show. The concept is real interesting and it's a shame that this show couldn't have been picked up by an HBO instead of NBC. It'll be canned for Biggest Loser Twins Edition or something else for the mouth breathers watching network TV these days. Just hope they are able to wrap things up in the 13 episodes they have.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-06-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm a big fan of epic style movies and this really builds itself on that style. It's well written and I'm really digging the production of the show. The concept is real interesting and it's a shame that this show couldn't have been picked up by an HBO instead of NBC. It'll be canned for Biggest Loser Twins Edition or something else for the mouth breathers watching network TV these days. Just hope they are able to wrap things up in the 13 episodes they have.

Then again, those folks are the only reason network TV is still remotely viable. Without 'em, it'd be toast.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Then again, those folks are the only reason network TV is still remotely viable. Without 'em, it'd be toast.

It's kind of a weird dynamic in TV. Networks are just not the place for good shows anymore due to the fact they have to play to such a wide audience. If you think of the top shows in the last 5 years, very few of them were network TV ones. Even the great ones on network TV like Friday Night Lights needs unique deals to stay on the air.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

network tv is monkeyshit these days for the most part (with the exception of cbs monday sitcoms). it's depressing
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
network tv is monkeyshit these days for the most part (with the exception of cbs monday sitcoms). it's depressing

And I wouldn't give you fifty cents for the unfunny crap of those sitcoms, so it's probably a lot of the eye of the beholder.{shrug} Does much to explain why I've watched ESPN, ESPN2, and History so far tonight I guess.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fair enough jon. to each their own, which i suppose is why all the stuff exists.

my point was more from a creativity-standpoint, an artistic standpoint. it's just depressing to me as a creative personality that the creativity required to write even an unfunny sitcom or weak drama has been replaced by the "reality tv trend" because it's cheaper for the networks essentially.

i don't tend to watch much network tv either really.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-06-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it's just depressing to me as a creative personality that the creativity required to write even an unfunny sitcom or weak drama has been replaced by the "reality tv trend" because it's cheaper for the networks essentially.

But not just because it's cheaper, but because those shows can produce better ratings than unfunny sitcoms and/or weak dramas. And ultimately because of the ratio between cost & ratings that leads to profitability.

But it's increasingly difficult to lambast the broadcast networks for that situation, cable has it's fair share. The number of reality shows that are doing well is astonishing (I should know, my wife seems to watch about half of them). Even Ghost Hunters cracked the top 15 (or 20, can't remember off hand) in the past couple of weeks. And the most watched shows on cable, other than pro wrestling, are cartoons including reruns.

There are some exceptions, Burn Notice and the soon to return In Plain Sight come to mind, but by & large the same trends are being shared by broadcast & cable more and more.

On those reality shows, I've both given my wife some grief and had reasonable real discussions about stuff like Real Housewives lately.
Sounds odd maybe, but in my business it helps if I can at least have some notion of why people would actually watch this stuff and it's one that really mystifies me.

To me, it would be incredibly depressing, watching what amounts to the idle rich while I'm figuring out how to make the next mortgage payment. Her take is completely opposite that, she watches because she likes to see the shoes, the clothes, the kitchens, etc. with all of the catty drama being really secondary in appeal. That struck me kind of interesting because it was part of the formula that helped make shows like Dynasty a hit back in the day, which is something that network TV really can't afford to do like they used to. It's more cost efficient to use the real people & the real thing than to pay to recreate it I guess, which makes an odd sort of sense.

Meanwhile my 10 y/o son will watch Real Housewives occasionally because (I think) there's some comfort in realizing that his parents aren't the only oddball f'ed up people in the world.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

I just don't get the reality shows because nowadays, they aren't real. Most seem very scripted with people playing to the cameras. I guess I never saw the lore of it. Thought the original Real World was interesting for that first season, but that was it.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

It's unfortunate that the biblical references are completely lost on me.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you think the ratings started out bad ... ouch !
Media Life Magazine - Big bump for Country Music Awards

At 8, CBS took over the lead with a 3.3 for the first hour of the “Academy of Country Music Awards,” followed by Fox with a 2.9 for a new episode of “The Simpsons” (3.1) and a repeat of “Family Guy” (2.8), ABC with a 2.2 for a repeat of “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” NBC with a 1.1 for a new episode of “Kings,” Univision with a 1.1 for the first hour of “Nuestra Belleza Latina” and CW with a 0.4 for the movie “Rocky III.”

At 9, CBS held onto its lead with a 4.1 for the second hour of its awards show. Fox was second with a 2.9 for repeats of “Family Guy” (3.1) and “The Simpsons” (2.7), followed by NBC with a 2.4 for the first half of a new “Celebrity Apprentice.” ABC was fourth with a 1.7 for a “Desperate Housewives” repeat, Univision fifth with a 1.3 for the second hour of “ Latina” and CW sixth with a 0.5 for the second half of “Rocky.”

At 10, CBS finished the night with a 4.1 for the final hour of the “Country Music Awards,” followed by NBC with a 3.1 for the second half of “Apprentice.” ABC and Univision tied at third with a 1.0 for a “Brothers & Sisters” repeat and a special edition of “Quien Tiene la Razon,” respectively.

Lost to repeats on two networks and then followed up with the next show doubling the lead-in you provided. This ratings turkey may not even get a full run of it's episodes at this rate.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah it'll either get shelved or moved to Saturday Nights is my guess.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 AM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At some point, are we going to get like maybe one 2 hour block of sitcoms, and 2-3 hour long dramas per week? Sure looks like it's headed that way, anyways. I can't see how it makes sense to program almost any original shows, when you can have one legged people have burlap sack races and score roughly the same ratings.

Seems like they could take a show like the Office, and shoot 50 episodes per season and it'd be worth paying the money to do so.

Last edited by stevew : 04-07-2009 at 01:44 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
At some point, are we going to get like maybe one 2 hour block of sitcoms, and 2-3 hour long dramas per week? Sure looks like it's headed that way, anyways. I can't see how it makes sense to program almost any original shows, when you can have one legged people have burlap sack races and score roughly the same ratings.

Seems like they could take a show like the Office, and shoot 50 episodes per season and it'd be worth paying the money to do so.

this is my fear too
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #25
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Perhaps on network TV, but I think cable is picking up the slack. They don't need the huge audience that network does and thus can focus on getting a couple million die hard fans. Their budgets are smaller though so you don't get the same kind of production.

I keep waiting for the reality craze to die but I don't think it will. The other night I was at my friends and he was watching that Dancing with the Stars show. I asked him how he could watch such stupid programming and his answer probably summed up the problem. That kind of programming doesn't require you to invest much time or thought in it. If you miss an episode or turn it on late, it doesn't matter. Shows like Lost require you to keep up, to focus on the entire hour. If you don't catch the initial season or two, you're basically never going to watch the show. With these reality shows, you have a fresh start every season.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-07-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you don't catch the initial season or two, you're basically never going to watch the show.

Bingo.

Explains why I followed BSG basically through skimming the threads here instead of futilely trying to watch it. It wasn't going to happen regularly, I knew that, I was already two years (?) behind, so I was free to catch a half an episode here or there out of sequence just enough to put faces to the names & what have you.

I've seen every L&O ever made ... except the ones from the current season. Same with all the CSI episodes. Sooner or later I catch up with them in reruns, syndication, or reruns of syndication but the odds of catching first run are virtually non-existent to me. And the Tivo/DVR suggestion wouldn't help matters any, hell, I've got probably two dozen DVD's that I've bought over the years that still have the shrink wrap on them.
Trying to plan time to watch stuff simply doesn't work for me, I'd just end up recording over them & I'd be in the same boat I'm in now so what's the point?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

My only argument would be that planning 20 or 40 mins to watch a show is very different from 2 hours to watch a movie on DVD.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
My only argument would be that planning 20 or 40 mins to watch a show is very different from 2 hours to watch a movie on DVD.

I've got about as much chance of getting/finding/being willing to use time for one as the other it seems.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh crap... seems the party is over (not unexpected).

Twitter / Michael Ausiello: Another good show bites th ...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

At least we get the last 8 episodes they made. Hopefully they have a way to wrap it up at the end.