Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Scrapbooking

Anyone here scrapbook?

I'm not the greatest with my memory and I collect a lot of little things so I'm trying to get it all organized. However, I'm not keen on the solutions I've seen.

Magnetic pages seem ok and preserve your stuff but they're cumbersome.

Then there's all sorts of crazy adhesives. How do you keep from destroying your items?

Anyone do scrapbooking and have some pointers? I'm kindof partial to 12x12 photo albums- they're large but are the ideal size for 4x6 or 4xD (well, less ideal) photos.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-08-2009 at 11:17 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

online?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking more in the physical sense

SI

Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
SnDvls
Pro Starter

My wife was big into scrapbooking before the 2 new additions took up her time, but she used these glue dot things that don't seem to destroy stuff. She also liked the 12X12 pages where you slide the page into it when you are done....I guess there are tons of classes out there at craft stores and scrapbooking stores too where you get to use all their stuff for the night so you only need to invest in the background pages.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
hoopsguy
General Manager

Per my wife, Scotch double-stick tape for the win.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My wife is all digital through PS Elements (and lobbying occasionally for full-blown Photoshop). No muss, no fuss, no mess, nothing to worry about whether the kids are going to do something bad with anything. Granted, you'll have to rely on an extensive supply of digital "scrap" thingys that others come up with and you'll need to be mostly committed to digital photography (or scan in your old photos) to have material for your pages, but our lives were pretty much only worth photographing since digital cameras came along (wedding, honeymoon, two kids, etc), so it made much more practical sense for her to do things on the computer. Sure, we have pictures and other little things from when we were dating (before we got our first digital camera), but she hasn't shown much interest in doing any scrapbooking with those images (at least not yet).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my "non-digital" stuff. I need to put that stuff to scrapbook. Digital would be more for the future...

SI

Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Uh oh, scrapbooking has hit FOFC -- Flasch's neighbor was right!!!
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sorry. We're gonna need your man card.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Ping: LoneStarGirl
Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Sure, pick on the man who can't remember crap. Tomorrow I'll be taking this out on, say, Jeeber, and he'll be really confused as to why the hell I'm yelling at him for making fun of my question about scrapbooking.

Seriously, tho, we're not talking about like frilly pink pages or something. But, I'm a pack rat so whenever I go visit a museum or something like that, I'll pick up a brochure or post card or whatever so that I remember I've been to that place. So I want some way to toss all that stuff in a book(s) so I remember where I've been.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-09-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A man's "scrapbook" shouldn't consist of anything more than a put together letter/legal size storage box from Office Depot. Put tab A into slot B, then toss everything inside. Piece of cake.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Seriously, tho, we're not talking about like frilly pink pages or something. But, I'm a pack rat so whenever I go visit a museum or something like that, I'll pick up a brochure or post card or whatever so that I remember I've been to that place. So I want some way to toss all that stuff in a book(s) so I remember where I've been.

SI

This is an indie movie plot in the making.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
A man's "scrapbook" shouldn't consist of anything more than a put together letter/legal size storage box from Office Depot. Put tab A into slot B, then toss everything inside. Piece of cake.

Problem is that I have like 4 of those already. You have to realize, my folks come from the Griswold school of parenting and life. I'm not even 30 and I have 11 states I haven't been to (ME, VT, NH, RI, CT, MA, FL, SD, WA, AK, HI) so I've seen a lot of crap. So I'm trying to find some way to organize stuff in binders

(I'm starting to think that maybe this wasn't quite the right venue to ask...)

SI

Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just giving you crap.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just giving you crap.

I know, as you are wont to do

SI

Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
Tiphnie
n00b

The only thing to look for in adhesives for scrapbooking is acid free. Most glue sticks are acid free or photo safe. But use what ever you feel most comfortable with, there are double sided tapes, adhesive dots, and glue sticks.

As to albums, I'm partial to the 12X12 size, there is just more room. I like the ones with plastic sheets inside. Then you make your page and slide it in the protective sheets. Easy and keeps them safe.

Tiff
Tiphnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I'm no authority, so forgive me if I'm misinformed, but I'm pretty sure male scrapbooking is officially faggoty.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Ooooh a scrapbooking thread, right up my ally! I went to a scrapbooking retreat this weekend and made over a dozen birthday and thank you cards. Loads of fun. Creative Memories has the best materials to use for scrapbooks. I love my dealer and she hooks me up with the goods monthly. They have great double sided tape that comes out in a handy tool. Glue dots are awesome for some things, but for pictures you need to use double sided tape (not scotch!)

http://www.creativememories.com/Main...ng/Tape-Runner

is what I use.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #20
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Ooooh a scrapbooking thread, right up my ally! I went to a scrapbooking retreat this weekend and made over a dozen birthday and thank you cards. Loads of fun. Creative Memories has the best materials to use for scrapbooks. I love my dealer and she hooks me up with the goods monthly. They have great double sided tape that comes out in a handy tool. Glue dots are awesome for some things, but for pictures you need to use double sided tape (not scotch!)

http://www.creativememories.com/Main...ng/Tape-Runner

is what I use.

See what I mean?

RIP
Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #21
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Okay, file this in the "justice served" folder:

I built a display at work, and took some pictures. My wife had the idea yesterday to make a binder out of cardstock, with themed pictures from the intraweb tubes, and attach the six display pictures to the pages. Great idea, let's do it, I said.

At my daughter's T-ball practice today I told Kristen (my wife) about calling male scrapbooking "faggotty", and she deemed it uncharitable and closed-minded, but funny.

So this evening I get home from Walgreen's with the photos, and little squares of doublestick tape. Kristen has already printed out the themed images on the cardstock. As I'm attaching the doublestick to the photos, and arranging the second one onto the page, my wife goes, "Hey, you know what this is called?" And I'm all, "What what is called?" And she's like, "This is called male scrapbooking, faggot."

I love my wife.

RIP
Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

I was about to say...
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm not even 30 and I have 11 states I haven't been to (ME, VT, NH, RI, CT, MA, FL, SD, WA, AK, HI)

SI

I demand details on your great North Dakota adventure.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I demand details on your great North Dakota adventure.

Exactly! How can you make it to North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota, but not cross the border of South Dakota?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Exactly! How can you make it to North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota, but not cross the border of South Dakota?

Different trips actually- drove through North Dakota from Minnesota (went to camp there) on the way to Yellowstone. So we touched MN (had been before), ND, MT, WY, and part of Yellowstone is in ID. I've also been to Idaho to Boise for training a couple of times. It was then that I made my exciting trip to Oregon- it's about an hour west of Boise. I drove out there the last day of training before I had to head home- crossed the border, went to the Oregon welcome center, a Dairy Queen, and then headed back. They can't all be neat trips.

My wife is from Iowa so we've been up there many times and Nebraska borders Kansas so, hell, one afternoon when I was up in Sabetha, KS on work, I just crossed the border. It was maybe all of 5 miles. Also, I did a college tour with my parents between my junior and senior years of high school where I started in Minnesota (at the camp again, not U of M)- went east all the way to Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon) and then west, ending in Kansas. I cannot remember if I visited Nebraska, then. But that covered quite a few states (and something like 9 colleges in 14 days).

Hey, I wanted to make the trip to SD since it was not too far, before we moved away from Kansas but time was short and we were busy before the move so the wife put the kibosh on it. The other problem was that Rushmore was on the other side of the state from where we lived (~400 mi to the nearest tip of SD but almost 600 to Rushmore) and, really, what else is in SD?

I have all sorts of silly trips like that- like I said, my parents are Griswold-ian in nature. I've seen some great spots (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, perhaps every Indian ruin in the state of New Mexico, a plethora of cities, etc) and some, ah, less famous spots (went to the 'Wizard of Oz' museum in Wamego, Kansas before we left, for instance). So, again, in the end, I'd like to organize it all and that's how we got to where we are in this thread

SI

Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think the proper way for a man to scrap book is:

After removing the testicles, take them from the scrotum....now lay the scrotum out and stick pictures, brochures and such to that.

And pink fur and glitter call it a day.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote