Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

ING Direct / HSBC / other

A few quick questions about them

For their online savings, HSBC, from what I've read, always offers a higher APY for their online savings account than ING Direct. What would I be giving up for the that extra APY? What does ING Direct do better than HSBC that might make it worth it to go with them and take the lower interest rate?

How good are their other services? HSBC looks like they only have CDs and MMAs, but how are ING Direct's Retirement and Investment services? (This is more just out of curiosity and looking long term. Right now I'm just looking into opening an online savings account).

Are there other companies out there that also offer high-interest online savings account? Are they any good and should I consider them as well?

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

I don't have a lot to offer here other than the fact that I'm a loyal ING Direct customer. I only use their Orange Savings account, and I understand there are higher interest options out there now, but I have never changed simply out of loyalty and comfort at this point. I've moved money back and forth countless times between my B&M bank and ING Direct and never had any issues.

If I were starting anew I would almost certainly go with the higher interest option if I couldn't find anything wrong with them of course. But if you do find something about HSBC that you don't like, ING is a solid option.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

+1 to Radii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
kurtism
High School Varsity

been using FNBODirect.com for some time now, very happy with them.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Philliesfan980
Banned

I've been using HSBC for a few years now and haven't had any problems. The 4-5 day clearing time between deposits is BS (considering the cash comes out of my checking account on day 1-2 of the transaction), but all of these outfits do this to earn some interest on your cash.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

I have an HSBC and ING account. You aren't really giving up anything for the higher rate at HSBC. ING used to have the best rates but dropped down years ago when they got big. The only difference I've seen is that HSBC takes an extra day or two on transfers compared to ING.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I used etrade. The rate was close the last time I checked and you can invest in everything from Vanguard mutual funds to individual stocks by transferring money in a few seconds.

I used to use Perth Amboy Direct, they had a ridiculous rate at one point, but it went from something like 4.5 to 2.0 one day out of the blue.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Thanks everyone. I checked etrade and they give 2.15% interest right now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I used ING for a while, then found out a local Credit Union was giving out 3.0 on Money Market accounts with no min....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

This is a week old now, but I just wanted to throw in that I use ING Direct and I am very happy. I use the automatic withdraw from my checking account every payday, so I am saving without even seeing the money.

I don't like HSBC just for personal reasons. I used to work at CompUSA and their credit card was issued by HSBC. I used to get a ton of complaints about some shady stuff they used to do, mainly with how they did service charges and interest. For example, they charged a yearly service fee, and would continue to do so even if you didn't carry a balance, unless you specifically called them and canceled the card.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 03-04-2009 at 04:20 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I don't like HSBC just for personal reasons. I used to work at CompUSA and their credit card was issued by HSBC. I used to get a ton of complaints about some shady stuff they used to do, mainly with how they did service charges and interest. For example, they charged a yearly service fee, and would continue to do so even if you didn't carry a balance, unless you specifically called them and canceled the card.
Yeah, that's one reason I almost passed on them. I had a Best Buy card in college and those guys destroyed me. I ended up with like $200 in service fees I had no idea what from. Unfortunately, they had a promo a few months back that was nearly half a point better than ING.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Ramzavail
College Starter

FYI - the ING direct interest rates just got kicked in the nuts, its down to 1.65%
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

GMAC has a 2.75% Savings Account with no minimums right now. Also a 6 month CD at 2.60%.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Danny
Head Coach

ING is down to 1.65. I think I will look for a different account now.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote