Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Wrestler

So, this last friday night the wife and I had our date night. We had a nice little dinner in San Fran, and then went to the 10:30 showing of The Wrestler @ the Metreon. The theater was nearly empty (which we prefer). Now, I grew up watching wrestling so I knew I was going to be able to connect to this movie in one way or another...but my wife can't stand it and thinks it's an absolute joke. In fact the only reason we decided on this movie was becasue of the rave reviews Rourke had gotten for the role. What happened between 10:30pm and 12:30am was amazing.

This has got to be one of the most powerful films I have ever seen. Throughout the movie you truly feel like you're living his life with him. You can't help it. Now i've been known to get emotional in powerful movies before (qeue up a SF related response now), but I can usually hold back in the theater. This was an exception. But the amazing thing was this. I looked over at the lady through blurred eyes, and saw tears streaming down her face too...in fact she was emotional the entire walk back to the car too.

Whether you grew up with wrestling, or you think it's a complete joke, don't be turned off by the title. This is not a film about Wrestling. The Wrestler is gripping story about a mans life. At first he's hard to understand...you don't quite get him. However...as you follow him around...you start to understand him, you really start to feel everything he feels, all the way until the end which I can only describe as beautiful.

If you've seen it, then you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. If you haven't, I implore you to take a couple hours out of your life to see a movie that is touching and real.

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yup. Sensational. Rourke better win an Oscar for this because it was one of the best performances in a film I've ever seen.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

noted. i will have to go see this.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Saw this on Friday. Good movie, great performance. And Sun is right, the movie isn't really about wrestling. If anything, hardcore wrestling fans might be disappointed that there's not enough behind-the-scenes stuff.

One question for those that have seen it... not looking for a long discussion since it's a spoiler, just wondering yes or no.

Spoiler
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Saw this on Friday. Good movie, great performance. And Sun is right, the movie isn't really about wrestling. If anything, hardcore wrestling fans might be disappointed that there's not enough behind-the-scenes stuff.

One question for those that have seen it... not looking for a long discussion since it's a spoiler, just wondering yes or no.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

What the...how do you do that spoiler thing?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

"[spoiler"] ["/spoiler]"

Without the " obv
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I saw this last night, and it is very good. It wasn't in the wow, phenomenal range with me, though. It was memorable, and it has kept me thinking about it, so it's at least an 8. Rourke did do a great job with the role, and I was touched by some scenes, and laughed at others ("spring chicken", lol), but it just didn't hit the "wow" level with me that it seems to with others. I would probably put it at an 8.5/10 if this were the movie thread.

It's among the better films I have seen this year, but for sure, it still ranks behind Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire on a list of my best movies for 2008.

The thinking part about this film to me is what gives it cred. It really has got me thinking more than most movies do, about the choices people make and how they affect their lives, and how important other people and connections and being loved is to most people.

Maple Leaf:

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Got it, tnx detox.

Spoiler

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 01-19-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Spoiler
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Maresi Tomei is beyond sexy.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
RedKingGold
College Starter

Spoiler
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've heard nothing but great things about this movie. Can't wait to see it!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Really enjoyed the movie. It had weakpoints and I wouldn't say it's my favorite of the year, but it's definitely in the running and Rourke's performance is far and away my favorite. I've loved basically everything Aronofsky has done, but I especially loved him going for a simpler more straightforward story. Good stuff.

Last edited by Calis : 01-19-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

Fantastic movie. Even if you don't watch wrestling (I don't) I strongly recommend it.

Spoiler
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Re: ending

Spoiler

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-19-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Re: ending

Spoiler

How many more spoiler tagged posts until we just make it a spoiler thread?

Spoiler
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Calis...

Spoiler

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-19-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #19
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I thought it was a great movie but I never considered crying once.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #20
digamma
Torchbearer

All three of the leads put on great acting performances, but the movie as a whole fell flat for me. Way too predictable and way too cliche for me.

Did appreciate the final scene, but overall, the movie was pretty blah for me, even considering the acting jobs.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #21
dervack
College Prospect

Dig,

Have you seen Beyond the Mat? The reason why I ask is because, to me, this movie is almost the biography of Jake Roberts.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Dig,

Have you seen Beyond the Mat? The reason why I ask is because, to me, this movie is almost the biography of Jake Roberts.

I haven't seen it yet, cause it is only at 1 theater in Phoenix now about 40 miles from my house, but watching the trailers made me think totally of Jake. If the screenplay was loosely based on Jake, they couldn't have picked a better subject. I am really looking forward to seeing this one.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #23
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I thought it was a great movie but I never considered crying once.

Is it because the government didn't pay you too?

Really?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

Great movie, I was definately moved by it.

Spoiler
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci View Post

Really?

I have no clue what you are talking about.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #26
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci View Post

Really?

When did you come back?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

Saw it this afternoon and I wouldn't say it was one of the best movies I have ever seen, but it is definitely very, very good.

I give it an 8 and I think it actually might have benefited from another 15 minutes or so. I would have liked the film to have explored more of his past relationship with his daughter, though the scenes they did have were quite powerful.

The performances by Rourke and Tomei were incredible and you could almost feel the anguish he went through in his day to day existence. I think any of us who have played competitive sports in our lives and sometimes miss the "glory" days can identify with his struggles.

I really liked the ending as well and Rourke deserves all the acclaim he is getting.

Thumbs up from me.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This came out on DVD today...

If you haven't seen it, it's at your local Blockbuster/Hollywood Video/Best Buy on the shelf.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #29
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Watched this over the weekend. Awesome movie. Mickey Rourke was incredible. As stated above, even if you are not a wrestling fan this is a great movie.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #30
AgustusM
College Prospect

I saw it and liked it, although not as much as some others. I will say it was the kind of movie I reflected on and liked more after the fact. Also, while it has become entirely cliche to say so, Rourke was simply brilliant. I don't believe any other actor could have done better, or even come close. and he hit the rare accomplishment of being so believable that it was hard to believe he was even acting, it almost felt like a documentary.

Spoiler
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #31
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
I saw it and liked it, although not as much as some others. I will say it was the kind of movie I reflected on and liked more after the fact. Also, while it has become entirely cliche to say so, Rourke was simply brilliant. I don't believe any other actor could have done better, or even come close. and he hit the rare accomplishment of being so believable that it was hard to believe he was even acting, it almost felt like a documentary.

Spoiler

Totally agree on the second paragraph. You could almost see him thinking, gee, this isn't so bad afterall.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #32
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Wrestler - See it for Rourke, buy it for Marisa.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #33
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The Wrestler - See it for Rourke, buy it for Marisa.

being old I am not normally a fan of piercings, especially in sensitive places - but damn she was sexy in that first scene.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Minor thing. In the hospital after he has the bypass, was the doctor calling him Mr Ram-something. If so I thought it was a cool little insight into how he got his stage name. And probably very common how guys would change their last names to something generic. Bothered me that I couldn't place the heel from the last match. Looked it up and it was Ernest the Cat Miller. The entry to the deli scene was brilliant. I thought the daughter sub plot was kind of weak. So that knocks it down about one notch below perfect. Tomei is hot for 45.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #35
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Minor thing. In the hospital after he has the bypass, was the doctor calling him Mr Ram-something.

His name is Randy Robinson., I dont think it was ever told where the Ram nickname came into play. Im assuming it was just alliteration on his name. His finishing move is the Ram Jam!

Saw some cool trivia on the IMDB page.....
Spoiler

and that Mickey Rouke wasnt paid for his performance, neither was Bruce Springsteen for his music.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The scorn at the Robin nametag leads me to believe that it is his real first name as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #37
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I still get chills when he's on the top buckle at the end...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #38
SteveMax58
College Starter

Just saw this tonight.

I'm in agreement with those that say it was very, very good. I think because of the hype surrounding it, I may have expected more...but certainly was not dissappointed. Very entertaining. No tears for me but my wife cried during the father/daughter scenes (a bit close to home for her).

As far as his real (movie) name...his real first name was Robin, as his nametag said (and boss confirmed it came from his W4)...and his last name was Ramzinksi(spelling could be off) as the doctor called him. So, Robin Ramzinksi became Randy "The Ram" Robinson.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I saw it with a friend this past week and was really impressed with it. I don't like wrestling much at all. But I thought it was a heck of a story (save for, like most people said the whole kid angle which seemed shoved into the story unnaturally but they needed something, I guess...) and I just think everyone involved did some really good work with it.

I especially enjoyed the random Jersey references and Tomei might have just been on the pole, but...she did her thing.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #40
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Just saw this tonight.

I'm in agreement with those that say it was very, very good. I think because of the hype surrounding it, I may have expected more...but certainly was not dissappointed. Very entertaining. No tears for me but my wife cried during the father/daughter scenes (a bit close to home for her).

As far as his real (movie) name...his real first name was Robin, as his nametag said (and boss confirmed it came from his W4)...and his last name was Ramzinksi(spelling could be off) as the doctor called him. So, Robin Ramzinksi became Randy "The Ram" Robinson.

Yep, as this guy pointed out, his name is Robin Ramzinski. Randy "The Ram" Robinson is merely his ring name, although one that he appears to have adopted to "real" life.

The same way I assume that Lex Luger went by Lex as opposed to Lawrence Pfohl and would have likely cringed if people called him Lawrence or Larry.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #41
AgustusM
College Prospect

Interesting that so many people felt the daughter sub plot landed flat. I thought it was an integral part. It felt it was a key component of his return to the ring. He tried to move on and live a normal life, but it wasn't really an option.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #42
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting that so many people felt the daughter sub plot landed flat. I thought it was an integral part. It felt it was a key component of his return to the ring. He tried to move on and live a normal life, but it wasn't really an option.

Agreed. The daughter subplot was absolutely key to the plot, to the Ram's motivations. I'm not sure how it could be done the way it is without that subplot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #43
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Agreed. The daughter subplot was absolutely key to the plot, to the Ram's motivations. I'm not sure how it could be done the way it is without that subplot.

I agree with both of you, but my problem with it is I felt it could have been explored in more detail. Some flashbacks to her childhood, the Daughter making him work a little harder to get back in her life initially. There is only so much time though and in the end they did the best they could with it I suppose. Definitely isn't weak for me, just not robust enough.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #44
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I agree with both of you, but my problem with it is I felt it could have been explored in more detail. Some flashbacks to her childhood, the Daughter making him work a little harder to get back in her life initially. There is only so much time though and in the end they did the best they could with it I suppose. Definitely isn't weak for me, just not robust enough.

That's a tough choice. I like what you're thinking there, but I don't think it really fit with the "real/documentary" feel. After all, real life doesn't have flashbacks. I think they were trying to show the past through remembrances, the devotion the wrestlers showed to The Ram, the references to glories of the past, the pain in the daughter's face and voice. I think in the end the "reality" in which the movie is built up is more important to it than working up the daughter angle with flashbacks.

Now, if it could be built up using plot elements that are completely within the scope of that documentary feel, I'm all for that.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #45
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Watched it last night. Yeah, the daughter piece was key. He said it outright to the stripper before he walked into the ring at the end. "The only place I get hurt is out there", meaning outside of the the ring.

Her (daughter) rejection of him was the main reason he said screw it and kept wrestling. Very key piece. I also think it was pretty well done within the scope of a movie. Sure I wondered more about the history of the relationship and the mom, etc. But it definately showed enough to support the overall motive and impact it was designed to do.

That was a pretty depressing movie.

If you rent it, definatly watch the extra about "in the ring". It's about 40 minutes long, but really worth it. They talk to the neighborhood style wrestlers about life and making the movie. I didn't realize there was a whole segment of wrestling like that out there. But then I really don't watch wrestling at all.

Last edited by Grammaticus : 05-03-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #46
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I thought the stuff with daughter was great. And flashbacks wouldn't have worked because the whole movie is from Randy's perspective, and he probably doesn't know/remember enough about her to have a flashback.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-03-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #47
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Bothered me that I couldn't place the heel from the last match. Looked it up and it was Ernest the Cat Miller.

In reference to this...I really haven't watched wrestling in almost 20 years, but were most of the other wrestlers in the film actual pro wrestlers? I didn't see anyone I recognized, but like I said, it's been a LONG time...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #48
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with all the people that said the daughter scenes were integral. I think I posted my little review in the the movie thread, but, yeah. I really liked this movie.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
In reference to this...I really haven't watched wrestling in almost 20 years, but were most of the other wrestlers in the film actual pro wrestlers? I didn't see anyone I recognized, but like I said, it's been a LONG time...

Virtually all of them, mostly workers from the independent scene and specifically the promotion where the wrestling crowd shots & background was filmed.

Probably the most recognizable name/face among those might be former WCW midcarder/jobber Ernest "The Cat" Miller and former tag team champion Johnny Valiant. Another name you might recognize would be Afa Anoai aka Afa the Wild Samoan, who trained Rourke for his ring work. Afa's daughter Lynn Tovale Anoai also appeared in the movie credited as "the pharmacist".
Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 AM   #50
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Virtually all of them, mostly workers from the independent scene and specifically the promotion where the wrestling crowd shots & background was filmed.

Probably the most recognizable name/face among those might be former WCW midcarder/jobber Ernest "The Cat" Miller and former tag team champion Johnny Valiant. Another name you might recognize would be Afa Anoai aka Afa the Wild Samoan, who trained Rourke for his ring work. Afa's daughter Lynn Tovale Anoai also appeared in the movie credited as "the pharmacist".

Don't forget the Necrobutcher. I'm not all that familiar with him, but I'm told he's a fairly big name on the indie circuit.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 05-04-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote