Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The magic kingdom gave me a different perspective on Wall-E

When Wall-E came out, I was a bit indifferent to it. I still don't like it as much as other Disney animation work, but ... well that isn't the point I was going to make.

Before Christmas I spent four days with the family in Disneyland. One of the things I noticed were all of the damn people riding around on those red electric scooters. Some of them were old, one I saw was wearing a cast, but by and large the people I saw riding them were simply large. Wall-E cruise ship obese, to be more specific. The scooters in the movie duly resemble those in the park, and I find that just hilarious. I'm guessing that Disney has seen the relatively rare use of these electronic scooters shoot up over the years. I was surprised to see a sea of these things just inside the gates when we arrived one early morning. There were more scooters than strollers for rent.

In any case, I think the fact that the Disney folks taking a shot at the fattening of America is a hell of a lot funnier with this revelation.

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

The architecture on the cruise ship is extremely reminiscent of the World of Tomorrow. Even the animation style is a nod to John Hench.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Makes me think of whoever posted the idea of "Big Game Hunters"- the game where you try to find fat people on scooters in WalMart

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
When Wall-E came out, I was a bit indifferent to it. I still don't like it as much as other Disney animation work, but ... well that isn't the point I was going to make.

Before Christmas I spent four days with the family in Disneyland. One of the things I noticed were all of the damn people riding around on those red electric scooters. Some of them were old, one I saw was wearing a cast, but by and large the people I saw riding them were simply large. Wall-E cruise ship obese, to be more specific. The scooters in the movie duly resemble those in the park, and I find that just hilarious. I'm guessing that Disney has seen the relatively rare use of these electronic scooters shoot up over the years. I was surprised to see a sea of these things just inside the gates when we arrived one early morning. There were more scooters than strollers for rent.

In any case, I think the fact that the Disney folks taking a shot at the fattening of America is a hell of a lot funnier with this revelation.

The best part of Wall-E is everything that happens before the obese people arrive on screen. Humanity/the human spirit still present after humans are gone and have practically destroyed Earth. The first half is some very good family oriented sci-fi.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
The best part of Wall-E is everything that happens before the obese people arrive on screen. Humanity/the human spirit still present after humans are gone and have practically destroyed Earth. The first half is some very good family oriented sci-fi.

Yeah. I don't usually insult people's taste-ualness, but.....
Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I agree that the early part of Wall-E is borderline great....Then it goes on a really long time making heavy handed social commentary. That turned me off. Now, I can at least imagine the fun the writers/animators were having during development.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

If your BMI is over 40 you should be denied healthcare, but given a free scooter.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Makes me think of whoever posted the idea of "Big Game Hunters"- the game where you try to find fat people on scooters in WalMart

SI

Lol. Me too. And wall-e put me to sleep. Which is odd cause I love Pixar.

Last edited by stevew : 01-18-2009 at 11:05 PM.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote