Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Its going to be 1 degree tonight with wing chill of -15. It hasnt been this cold in the st louis area in many years. I looked up my old home town and the high tomorrow is going to be -4. Yes negative 4.
Lots of schools are closing here.

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm showing 9 degrees here in Troy, Missouri. Brrrrr is right!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

-20 windchill right now, bitches.

My guess is we'll probably see -35 or so when the night really settles in.

Last edited by SackAttack : 01-14-2009 at 09:55 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

100°F here in Sydney, Australia. Just sayin'.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

We've already called off school for tomorrow (second day of finals) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Friday go too.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

-19 is in the forecast here for tomorrow.... and that's without the wind chill. -40+ is supposed to be the windchill. Ouch.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It's been something of an adjustment of scale for me moving back here after living in Michigan for a while. We're due a brief snap of cold starting tomorrow night into Friday and it's making some pretty big noise on the local news. Temps falling into the teens and then a high of (horrors!) 27 on Friday and possibly falling to around 10 or so Saturday morning or something like that. I've got a co-worker who's already complaining about how cold it is and will be. Gimme a couple of weeks of that with a thick crust of icy snow on the ground and we'll consider it impressive, shall we?

(In the same breath, I can also ridicule Michiganders' sensitivity to heat because they'll complain bitterly if temperatures even remotely come close to 90 degrees during the summer....)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

omg don't make me post our temperature today, and then the crazy range we're getting by Monday.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
omg don't make me post our temperature today, and then the crazy range we're getting by Monday.

Isn't it like -50F with windchill factored in?

Last edited by Lorena : 01-14-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Why do so many folks choose to live in places way up north where it can get so ridiculously cold? I know lots of folks love the change of seasons and all that, but high's in the '0's, if now lower? Wind chills in the -20's and beyond? You've got to be kidding me.

When you take weather into account, how is it that over the course of time in this country cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, etc., were able to keep and expand their populations? Great places to visit don't get me wrong, but living there when you have to deal with this kind of crap.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 01-15-2009 at 12:07 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
When you take weather into account, how is it that over the course of time in this country cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, etc., were able to keep and expand their populations? Great places to visit don't get me wrong, but living there when you have to deal with this kind of crap.

inertia, social class, and opportunity.

Inertia: an object at rest tends to stay at rest. Some folk just get comfortable with what they grew up with, what they know, and stay there.

Social class: those who are poor tend to reproduce at greater rates than those who aren't. Bottom line is, sex is the most basic form of entertainment there is, and its economic costs are virtually all long-term, not immediate.

Opportunity: In a non-agrarian society, companies tend to set up where there's a population to support them, and so people tend to go where the work is. Self-fulfilling prophecy after a while.

It's well and good to want to live in Mississippi because it doesn't get -20 in January, but if the work isn't there, you're either going to learn a new trade in one godawful hurry, or you're going to go where your skills are most useful. Frequently though not always), that means cities that grew up between 1700 and, oh, 1850.

Last edited by SackAttack : 01-15-2009 at 12:15 AM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Psh. Rookies.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #13
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
Psh. Rookies.

You may now end the thread. I am from NoDak, and after 4 years in Fargo walking all over campus in blizzard after blizzard, the idea of closing school because it's 4 below makes me laugh and call you all sissy girls.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Why do so many folks choose to live in places way up north where it can get so ridiculously cold? I know lots of folks love the change of seasons and all that, but high's in the '0's, if now lower? Wind chills in the -20's and beyond? You've got to be kidding me.

If a little cold weather is all I have to put up with...no hurricaines, no earthquakes, etc...then so be it. I just put on a toque and a pair of gloves and head off to work to sit in my cube for 8 hours just like everybody else.

Oddly enough, it's nowhere near as cold up here right now as it is down there.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 01-15-2009 at 02:20 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

-7? Are you fucking kidding?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

-8 prior to windchill when I started up the car (Go 10-year-old Toyota, Go!) this morning at about 6:15. Luckily the car started, but I think we're starting to get close to engine block heater weather.

I saw where it's supposed to be -30 (pre-windchill) in parts of MN today, so I'd assume it'll be even worse in the Canoodian provinces.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

It was -39 Celsius here. With the windchill, it was a cool -51 which I guess converts to -60 Fahrenheit.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cold is fun!!

as long as you're properly equipped there's nothing like a nice brrrrr-cold day. I'd much rather walk home from the train when it's single-digits and feel the cold stillness of a winter's night then be huffing and sweating my way home in 95-degree summer heat

that being said - i wouldn't want to be caught outside without winter-gear at this time of year...but when you live in a cold place you just know to always be prepared
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
100°F here in Sydney, Australia. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
It was -39 Celsius here. With the windchill, it was a cool -51 which I guess converts to -60 Fahrenheit.

okay sweet jesus...that's crazy
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #20
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

We are sitting at a toasty -17 degrees this morning with a high temp of -5 degrees.

-Cork

Last edited by Cork : 01-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I was in Fairbanks a few times last week. -43. Before wind chill.

edit: Why do I live here again?

Last edited by SnowMan : 01-15-2009 at 08:37 AM.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's a comparatively warm 11 degrees, -2 with the windchill here in boston right now.

tomorrow is supposed to be like 2/-12 with windchill

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-15-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #23
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

-13, with a -37 windchill when I came in this morning. Certainly wakes you up real damn quick.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
okay sweet jesus...that's crazy

Well, it is summer down in Australia right now...

Man, it's 27 degrees here right now. I don't know how I'm going to survive!!1!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Well, it is summer down in Australia right now...

Man, it's 27 degrees here right now. I don't know how I'm going to survive!!1!!

that's true...it is summer. Meh...I just finished reading "Collapse" by Jared Diamond - I don't think Groundhog really wants to engage me in a conversation about the pros & cons of Australia right now.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Isn't it like -50F with windchill factored in?

With windchill, it was -59.8F at the coldest. But the really stupid part is that they're predicting -1C (30.2F) by Monday. Now that's a range.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

35 beleow here. (without any windchill)

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #28
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
cold is fun!!

as long as you're properly equipped there's nothing like a nice brrrrr-cold day. I'd much rather walk home from the train when it's single-digits and feel the cold stillness of a winter's night then be huffing and sweating my way home in 95-degree summer heat

+1

The area gets nice and quiet at night because people just aren't out and about. The shit weather is when it is like 40 and raining. Give me -10 below and chilly over that.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My dog's reaction this morning was pretty funny. As he realizes I'm opening the door for him he goes bounding towards the opening only to come to a screeching halt as the cold air hits him in the face. He then backs up (and he hates backing up) and gives me a look like "Uh, it's cool, I can hold it for a few more hours."

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
+1

The area gets nice and quiet at night because people just aren't out and about. The shit weather is when it is like 40 and raining. Give me -10 below and chilly over that.

Yeah it's nice and quiet, but there's also something about the stillness and serenity of nature at that point. You don't have scurrying little animals, or leaves rustling on trees or anything. everything just feels like...supernaturally STILL. I actually love it.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #31
bbor
Pro Starter

I can't find my balls.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #32
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah it's nice and quiet, but there's also something about the stillness and serenity of nature at that point. You don't have scurrying little animals, or leaves rustling on trees or anything. everything just feels like...supernaturally STILL. I actually love it.

+1

Of course in AZ we get those nights whenever it falls below 60
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
+1

Of course in AZ we get those nights whenever it falls below 60

We went to Orlando a few years back in early February. It was 65-70 degrees and cloudy. We were all wearing shorts and T-shirts. The locals (Disney staff) were all wearing pants and jackets. Funny how location changes your perception of what's cold and hot.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've discovered that if I'm properly dressed, I can stand outside for 15 minutes and not tell the difference between 0 degrees and 30. I've never been outside in single-digit temperatures for more than 15 minutes, so my perception would probably change after that. Otherwise, I'm good. It was 11 degrees outside when I left the house this morning, and I was fine with it. Sure, I'd prefer it to be 90 degrees, but I can deal with 11 for a few minutes until the car warms up.

We'll see how I manage tonight when I'll be outside for a few minutes with a wind chill well below zero.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #35
lungs
Pro Rookie

-15 before wind chill here this morning, -12 right now. The worst part was that I had to breed 24 cows this morning. Now for those unfamiliar with the mechanics of breeding cows, basically i shove my arm up their ass so I can feel what I'm doing inside there. Hence, one of my arms has to be exposed (under a large plastic glove of course).

Now that gets fucking cold. Otherwise, this cold really ain't shit if you know how to dress up for it. Multitudes of other problems arise but so long as you dress warm you can deal with them.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #36
JediKooter
Coordinator

What is this "wind chill" you all speak of? Sounds like a bunch of made up gobbly gook.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Supposed to be -10 here by the morning. I think the all time low for any date in Dayton is -22, so we're not all that far off.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So, apparently, I was "breeding" my wife this morning while she was asleep. Hm. Guess I learned something today.

But what's the glove for?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So, apparently, I was "breeding" my wife this morning while she was asleep. Hm. Guess I learned something today.

TMI!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #40
Galaxy
Coordinator

What happen to global warming?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #41
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, my cat went outside last night for about 10 mins and then said, "F this" and climbed the window screen to let me know he wanted back in.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #42
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

On a completely serious note, several of the trends that actually led to the higher temperatures through 1998 have reversed themselves and are now going into their cold phase. We can expect temperatures to get cooler for at least the next decade. Some scientists are speculating that we could be heading for another Maunder Minimum (that or a Dalton Minimum, which ever one is not as bad), but it is too early to speculate. The sun has entered into a very dormant phase right now, and much of what they are seeing they have not seen before.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #43
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

That was'nt your wife...it was your toothbrush.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
That was'nt your wife...it was your toothbrush.
Whenever I hear a buzzing noise, it's always a toss-up as to whether it's the toothbrush or the wife.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #45
mckerney
Coordinator

It's up to -10 now!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #46
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

global warming = melting of the ice caps = changes to temperature of sea = changes to temperature of air
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #47
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the idea that the temperature can drop below zero is kind of funny, when you think about it. what an absolutely ridiculous, arbitrary system

(84 in los angeles, bitches!)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #48
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I thought our -31C (-24F) was rough this morning, but I see there are some worse than me.

We are used to cold weather, but even with that, it was quite cold. My mother-in-law's car refused to start yesterday afternoon. She made the mistake of starting it around noon but the block heater wasn't plugged in and she only left it running for a couple minutes, not enough for the alternator to recharge the battery. Went over and jumpstarted the car and the car started fine.

FM
Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #49
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Funny throwaway line by a local radio guy this afternoon (local being the Tampa Bay area): "And so we see many parts of our nation today locked in the icy grip of Global Warming"

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #50
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Sound nice?