Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice elected to Hall of Fame

Thanks goodness. Rickey was a shooin of course (I'd like to ask the 28 people who didn't vote for him why not), but I had real concerns that Jim wouldn't get in. He was the precursor of today's super strong sluggers.. (he was the only person that I've ever heard of who broke his bat by checking his swing)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rickey Henderson sped his way into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot Monday, and Jim Rice made it in on his 15th and final try.

Henderson, baseball's career leader in runs scored and stolen bases, received 94.8 percent of the vote from the Baseball Writers' Association of America, well above the 75 percent needed.

Rice, among baseball's most feared hitters in the late 1970s and early 1980s, got 76.4 percent of the vote after falling just shy with 72.2 percent last year.

Henderson became the 44th player elected in his first year of eligibility. Rice was only the third elected by the BBWAA in his final year, joining Red Ruffing (1967) and Ralph Kiner (1975).

The pair will be inducted into the Hall during ceremonies on July 26 in Cooperstown, N.Y. They will be joined by former Yankees and Indians second baseman Joe Gordon, elected posthumously last month by the Veterans Committee.

Henderson was picked on 511 of 539 ballots and Rice was selected on 412, just more than the 405 needed.

Rice received only 29.8 percent of the vote in 1995, when he appeared on the ballot for the first time. He topped 50 percent for the first time in 2000 and reached 64.8 percent in 2006 -- the highest percentage for a player who wasn't elected in a later year was 63.4 by Gil Hodges in 1983, his final time on the ballot.

Andre Dawson fell 44 votes short with 67 percent. He was followed by Bert Blyleven (62.7 percent), Lee Smith (44.5), Jack Morris (44.0), Tommy John (31.7) and Tim Raines (22.6). John appeared on the ballot for the final time.

Mark McGwire, stigmatized by accusations he used performance-enhancing drugs, received 118 votes (21.9 percent) in his third year of eligibility, down from the 128 votes he got in each of his first two tries.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Rickey!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is palmerio still on the ballot? I really wonder if mcgwire will ever get in. Seems like his best shot would be to totally come clean? I think he belongs, but I can see why others don't.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Finally, I don't have to listen to the never ending "Jim Rice's getting robbed cause he's an asshole to the press" talk around here.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

Yay the Hall of Pretty Good gets another inductee!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Tim Raines only got 22% of the vote.

I'm watching the coverage on ESPN/ESPNews and Tim Kurkjian said runs scored is the most underrated stat in baseball.

I'm sure everyone here will be surprised by this, but Steve Phillips' case for Jim Rice was "most feared hitter" and that was about it. For Rickey Henderson it was stolen bases, stolen bases stolen bases. I'm glad they had Keith Law and Joe Sheenan on to make him look like a dumbass.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

@ Blyleven not getting in!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

+1
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

I'd also like to add that while Steve Phillips was talking about Jim Rice I tried to switch over Sportscenter, but they had Joe Morgan and Peter Gammons talking about Rickey and Jim Rice. I really didn't know what to do at that point so I switched back to Steve Phillips and turned the volume down.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

+2
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Tim Raines only got 22% of the vote.
Bangs head on desk.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

As bad as letting Rice in is, what imbeciles leave Raines and Henderson off of their ballots? Aside from Corky, of course.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Why do people get more votes as time goes on?

If you thought the guy wasn't Hall worthy last year, then why are you voting him in this year?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm looking forward to Henderson's speech.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

If you thought the guy wasn't Hall worthy last year, then why are you voting him in this year?

This annoys me more than anything. Either a guy is a HOF or he isn't. I could understand it more in the NFL when they say they are taking 4-8 players a year or whatever.

Last edited by Logan : 01-12-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

I have to say, the Rickey stories never get old.

Steve Phillips said that he told Rickey he had won some team award for the Mets and was trying to see what he'd like as a gift. He asked for "one of those things Madden drives around".

Buster Olney told a story about Rickey calling up a team's GM once when he was a free agent and saying "on behalf of Rickey, I'd like to inform you that Rickey is available".
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
RendeR
Coordinator

Have to say that for once I don't have a real complaint with the inductees. Still a few people that ought to be there though.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
+2

+3, f rice.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

In the case of Rice, he was extremely unpopular with writers (because he was a jerk). Those feelings cool off over time, old writers leave and new come in, etc.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

Where's KSyrup to shit all over Rickey!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is palmerio still on the ballot? I really wonder if mcgwire will ever get in. Seems like his best shot would be to totally come clean? I think he belongs, but I can see why others don't.

Palmero will not be eligible for another couple of years.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The ignorance of the BBWAA is demonstrated once again - Tim Raines is far more of a HOF'er than Jim Rice will ever be. Hell, if Rice is in the HOF, lets add Dante Bichette (stole that quip from BP).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #23
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Btw, anyone who voted against Rickey ought to have his ballot taken away. He's one of the 20 best players of all time; maybe 10 best.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #24
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm fine with people not voting for a guy his first year. First year election being something special. If you're no in after two years...you don't get in. It's absolutely baffling to me that a guy just hangs around for 15 years with the exact same stats and then somehow gets in.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Btw, anyone who voted against Rickey ought to have his ballot taken away. He's one of the 20 best players of all time; maybe 10 best.

QFT

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #26
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm fine with people not voting for a guy his first year. First year election being something special. If you're no in after two years...you don't get in. It's absolutely baffling to me that a guy just hangs around for 15 years with the exact same stats and then somehow gets in.

However, not in this era when we're constantly learning more about the steroid era, Rice's numbers look more impressive.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Whaa? That's idiotic. The qualifications don't change from year to year; a bunch of old geezers revelling in their self-importance is irrelevant to that. I do agree that 15 years is ridiculous; 5 seems fine to me.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
However, not in this era when we're constantly learning more about the steroid era, Rice's numbers look more impressive.

Jim Rice had an OPS+ of 128, adjusting the band-box he played in. That's compared to his era, not anyone else. He was also awful defensively as a LF. He is not a HOF'er by any regard.

Simply comparison, Ellis Burks had an OPS+ of 126; is anyone calling for Burks in the HOF?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
Subby
lolzcat

Better mustache than Burks.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #30
MikeVic
Head Coach

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #31
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm ok with 15 years although, not with voting every year. After 15 years you can at least get some perspective of players vs the next generation that has just finished up. Although, probably should be more of a voting eligibility years 1 and 2, then at 5, 10 and 15 while increasing the cutoff %....

As for not getting in right away, baseball writers are a bunch of cranky bastards. You could have a guy hit 1,000 hrs with a career batting average of .400, took public drug tests and cured the sick at home games with his own sweat and he probably would only get 99.9% of the vote on the 1st ballot because he liked fish sticks and some writer in Nebraska doesn't trust anyone who likes fish sticks...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #32
JediKooter
Coordinator

Damn, Dave Kingman didn't make it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #33
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Why exactly should Raines be in the HoF over someone like Dawson?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #34
MikeVic
Head Coach

When's Julio Franco up for the HOF?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

2012 I think
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Why exactly should Raines be in the HoF over someone like Dawson?

Raines:

Tim Raines Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

123 OPS+ with 808 stolen bases and only 146 caught stealing (that's an 85% success rate over his career) and very good defense in 23 seasons.

Dawson:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dawsoan01.shtml

119 OPS+ with Ok defense and, of course, no where near the SB (314 and 109 CS) in 21 seasons.

I think the amount and success rate of Raines' stolen bases should easily get him in over Dawson, who was basically a similar hitter, but more focused on power and Raines was more focused on getting on base (Dawson had a career OBP of .323).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-12-2009 at 05:42 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #37
rowech
Pro Starter

Neyer's take on Dawson versus Raines...

Rob Neyer Blog - ESPN
Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #38
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Did they vote anyone out yet?

No one gets 100%, it's one of those traditional things.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #39
Logan
Head Coach

A stupid tradition.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #40
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
I think the amount and success rate of Raines' stolen bases should easily get him in over Dawson, who was basically a similar hitter, but more focused on power and Raines was more focused on getting on base (Dawson had a career OBP of .323).

The thing with Raines and Dawson is more that Raines blunted his career with coke and Dawson's was blunted with knee trauma. I also think there's a lot of people who compare Raines and Henderson, find Henderson to be a better candidate, and then don't consider that maybe he's still enough better than the next guy (maybe it's Kenny Lofton?)...
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The 1936 Voting Results

Code:
Name Votes PCT Cobb, Ty 222 98.2% Ruth, Babe 215 95.1% Wagner, Honus 215 95.1% Mathewson, Christy 205 90.7% Johnson, Walter 189 83.6% Lajoie, Nap 146 64.6% Speaker, Tris 133 58.8% Young, Cy 111 49.1% Hornsby, Rogers 105 46.5% Cochrane, Mickey 80 35.4% Sisler, George 77 34.1% Collins, Eddie 60 26.5% Collins, Jimmy 58 25.7% Alexander, Grover 55 24.3% Gehrig, Lou 51 22.6% Bresnahan, Roger 47 20.8% Foxx, Jimmie 21 9.3% Terry, Bill 9 4% Kling, Johnny 8 3.5% Criger, Lou 7 3.1% Brown, Mordecai 6 2.7% Evers, Johnny 6 2.7% Chance, Frank 5 2.2% McGraw, John 4 1.8% Schalk, Ray 4 1.8% Simmons, Al 4 1.8% Bender, Chief 2 0.9% Jackson, Joe 2 0.9% Roush, Edd 2 0.9% Baker, Frank 1 0.4% Bradley, Bill 1 0.4% Clarke, Fred 1 0.4% Crawford, Sam 1 0.4% Daubert, Jake 1 0.4% Dean, Dizzy 1 0.4% Elberfeld, Kid 1 0.4% Gehringer, Charlie 1 0.4% Hartnett, Gabby 1 0.4% Mack, Connie 1 0.4% Marquard, Rube 1 0.4% Rucker, Nap 1 0.4% Vance, Dazzy 1 0.4%

Back when it was truly the Hall of Fame. If you decry the "tradition" of votes not being 100%, then it would also make sense to be against always getting in on the first vote (for obvious candidates).

Last edited by Buccaneer : 01-12-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #42
molson
General Manager

I always look at MVP voting numbers to see how dominant a guy was over time. I'm not going to crap on OPS+, but Jim Rice was better than Ellis Burks.

Rice finished in the top 5 in AL MVP voting 6 times. That's pretty remarkable. Henderson and Dawson did it 3 times. Raines once (came close a couple of other times). Just throwing out random other HOFs from that era - Ripken 3, Schmidt 5, Brett 4, Molitor 2.

The HOF is more than on-field statistical performance. There's an element, of well, fame.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #43
Atocep
Coordinator

I actually started wondering today, if Rickey Henderson never existed would Tim Raines be seen as a sure-think Hall of Famer? Well, maybe not sure thing, but I think he'd probably get in within the 1st 3-4 years on the ballot. As it stands now Raines' best bet is already with the veterans committee.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #44
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I always look at MVP voting numbers to see how dominant a guy was over time. I'm not going to crap on OPS+, but Jim Rice was better than Ellis Burks.

Rice finished in the top 5 in AL MVP voting 6 times. That's pretty remarkable. Henderson and Dawson did it 3 times. Raines once (came close a couple of other times). Just throwing out random other HOFs from that era - Ripken 3, Schmidt 5, Brett 4, Molitor 2.

The HOF is more than on-field statistical performance. There's an element, of well, fame.

You're reaching Colin Cowherd levels if you want to bring "fame" into play here.

Dawson won the most bullshit MVP award of my lifetime. Derek Jeter is a multi-time gold glove winner. Do we really want to use awards to judge a player's Hall of Fame candidacy?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So... then... Albert Belle? He was Top 3 in AL MVP voting for 3 years in a row.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-12-2009 at 07:00 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So... then... Albert Belle? He was Top 3 in AL MVP voting for 3 years in a row.

I'm just using it as a guideline, I'm not advocating a cutoff (just like I wouldn't use a specific OPS+ number as a firm cutoff).

Belle absolutely had a HOF career going at age 30. He just fell off a cliff after that. If he was as likable as Kirby Puckett, he might have gotten in anyway. He was an elite slugger of his time, but his quality years were even smaller in number than Rice's.

There's lots of different perspectives on this. MVP voting tells us how often a guy was elite at the time he played, both in terms of actual performance, and the perception at the time. The perception isn't irrelevant. I think the HOF should be bias in favor of players who were on good teams, and were a huge deal in the public eye when the played. A guy on a HOF plaque should scream out "big deal" in the way Bert Blyleven just doesn't.

The HOF is museum/tourist attraction.

Last edited by molson : 01-12-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #47
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You're reaching Colin Cowherd levels if you want to bring "fame" into play here.

Dawson won the most bullshit MVP award of my lifetime. Derek Jeter is a multi-time gold glove winner. Do we really want to use awards to judge a player's Hall of Fame candidacy?

The most stupidest criteria is number of All-Stars. It's not as bad as the NFL but many players got be an "All-Star" due to popularity (i.e., on-field stats), guilt/nostalgia (old timers), injury replacements or ballot box stuffing.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #48
rowech
Pro Starter

Especially given the fact that each team must have one player representive.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #49
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The most stupidest criteria is number of All-Stars. It's not as bad as the NFL but many players got be an "All-Star" due to popularity (i.e., on-field stats), guilt/nostalgia (old timers), injury replacements or ballot box stuffing.

...or being the Pirates' token selection.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #50
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Belle absolutely had a HOF career going at age 30. He just fell off a cliff after that.

That isn't exactly correct with regards to Belle. He had great years at age 31 and 32. He fell off a cliff after that.

Like.... Jim Rice (though with Rice, it was after he turned 33)!

Quote:
He was an elite slugger of his time, but his quality years were even smaller in number than Rice's.

Not true. I'd argue that Belle's quality years were greater than Rice, a great deal moreso.

Quote:
I think the HOF should be bias in favor of players who were on good teams, and were a huge deal in the public eye when the played.

Why? Doesn't that basically make it bullshit to anyone who follows a smaller market team or a great player on a bad team?

Quote:
A guy on a HOF plaque should scream out "big deal" in the way Bert Blyleven just doesn't.

I can't imagine someone who looks at what Blyleven did during his career and doesn't think that's a "big deal". I mean the guy is 5th all time in career strikeouts, after all. Isn't that something we love about Nolan Ryan so much? All the K's?

Quote:
The HOF is museum/tourist attraction.

It's also supposed to honor baseball's best. Unless you are saying it should go the way of the BCS in how it is perceived.