Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Is Buffalo Wild Wings (B-Dub's) Becoming the Wal-Mart of Sports Bars?

I ask because I pretty much can't watch a sporting event on TV anymore without a BWW commercial or two at some point, and also the fact that I can't seem to go anywhere anymore (I travel quite a bit with work) without seeing one of these places.

I used to like B-Dub's back in the day, but they're really getting rather blah. Nothing compares to the independent sports bar/bar that is well run.

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

We don't have them here. I always wanted to go to one. Call it a dream.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
We don't have them here. I always wanted to go to one. Call it a dream.

i went to hooters when i was out there with my buddy for the first time. i was distinctly "meh" on it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i went to hooters when i was out there with my buddy for the first time. i was distinctly "meh" on it

Yeah, we just got a Hooters in Campbell a few months ago. I went once, and I'll probably not be going back very often, if at all. The wings were kind of nasty, and the girls wouldn't leave us alone. Yeah, the fake flirting is cool, but I want to eat my damn food before it gets cold.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Hooters was much better 10 years ago. At some point, the food went from decent/good to bleh.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, we just got a Hooters in Campbell a few months ago. I went once, and I'll probably not be going back very often, if at all. The wings were kind of nasty, and the girls wouldn't leave us alone. Yeah, the fake flirting is cool, but I want to eat my damn food before it gets cold.

lol that's the one i went to. across from what was it...a google building?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
lol that's the one i went to. across from what was it...a google building?

eBay, I think.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yes yes. i knew it was one or the other.

my buddy's GF works down the road from there
Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'd never been to one until last Friday. Just around the corner. It's pretty nice. I'm not a big wings guy, but it's a nice place for friends to be able to go. I'll surely be back. They were slow getting us our food, but otherwise, nice joint.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Haha - I know the one you're talking about; no desire to go. at Campbell, the Rock Bottom is better food anyway.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Daimyo
College Starter

Hasn't it always been that way? Its just another franchise with the exact same experience no matter where you are in the country.

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-11-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Hasn't it always been that way? Its just another franchise with the exact same experience no matter where you are in the country.

Never been to a Buffalo Wild Wings, but I encourage you all to go because I hold BWLD stock.

But this statement kind of caught me offguard...the one thing I've noticed with any consistency regarding chain restaurants or stores in general is how different they can be depending where in the country you are.

Since this thread mentions Wal-Mart, I'll use that as my prime example. The Wal-Mart's I've been to in Dulles and in Columbia are disgusting pigstys where people just throw things on the floor (unwanted merchandise, food, etc), are insanely rude, and frankly I feel dirty walking into them. The Wal-Mart I used to go to regularly in Greenbrier, WV was a really nice experience. It was clean, people were friendly, and it was a pleasant shopping experience. The difference? People in the Dulles and Columbia areas have a lot of other places they can go including Target and have more wealth (generally speaking). Wal-Mart is seen as the last resort, or the place where "the poor people are forced to shop" (sounds crass, but that's the vibe I get). In Greenbrier, it was the only place...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
But this statement kind of caught me offguard...the one thing I've noticed with any consistency regarding chain restaurants or stores in general is how different they can be depending where in the country you are.

Since this thread mentions Wal-Mart, I'll use that as my prime example. The Wal-Mart's I've been to in Dulles and in Columbia are disgusting pigstys where people just throw things on the floor (unwanted merchandise, food, etc), are insanely rude, and frankly I feel dirty walking into them. The Wal-Mart I used to go to regularly in Greenbrier, WV was a really nice experience. It was clean, people were friendly, and it was a pleasant shopping experience. The difference? People in the Dulles and Columbia areas have a lot of other places they can go including Target and have more wealth (generally speaking). Wal-Mart is seen as the last resort, or the place where "the poor people are forced to shop" (sounds crass, but that's the vibe I get). In Greenbrier, it was the only place...

/tk

Economics says this doesn't make any sense.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Economics might want to learn something then because I've seen the exact same thing in different areas. both here in western NY and in MA where I lived for 4 years. The wal-marts that were the only real point of sale stores in an area were nicer, cleaner and more pleasant than the ones where there was a ton of competition.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I love B-Dubs, but I don't get to go to it every often. The closest ones are about 30 minutes north and south of me. The one to the north is nice. Food is always fresh, great atmosphere. The one to the south I've only been to once, but it was full of stupid teens, had lousy service, and the food just didn't have the same zing. Odd how the same stuff can taste different depending on where you go.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Only if the store was entirely in control of the store condition.

Instead, you have the consumer side of the equation to relieve the store from the need to do so much clean up work because when it's drawing from a broader range of customers the percentage of folks who will knock crap on the floor & leave it laying and such is lower while the percentage of folks who will actually help by straightening an item when they walk past or reporting a problem, etc is higher.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The thing I like about B-dubs is I know for a fact they game ( usualy Giants) will be on ( obviously outside the NY area). Sometimes you go to an independant place and they don't have the game on or they don't know how to work the direct TV.

Plus they usualy have decent beer specials and like the trivia game.

I used to go to the one in Hyde Park area of Cincinnati and it was well run and I always enjoyed it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I enjoy BDubs. Their sauces are yum.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

I can't say for sure that I'd ever even heard of them before this thread. If I've heard any ads on the radio, I've tuned them out, because I can't remember them.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Are they any relation to the chain we have up here in Ontario that's just called Wild Wings? Because if so, they suck.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Wild Wings is different.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Are they any relation to the chain we have up here in Ontario that's just called Wild Wings? Because if so, they suck.

Looking at the vastly different franchise requirements for the two, I'd say there's probably no connection at all beyond the name.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

Hooters isn't a place you go to for the average sports bar experience. It's just something you do a few times a year to see some young hot girls with big tits giving you fake attention. I'm not a guy who will go a ton, but I do like the experience.

Wild Wings has nothing to offer in my opinion. It's kind of a cold way of watching a game. I'd much rather do a local bar or hit up the ESPN Zone.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
korme
Go Reds

Going to Bdubs is such a challenge, we try to go every Sunday because of the 5 roomies, three are Bengals fans, one a Browns fan, and the other a Pats fan (he's from Boston)... so we need to usually go to see all three games... it's just that if a game starts at 1pm EST, you have to get there by around noon just to get a seat.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote