Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
Sgran
High School Varsity

How did those songs become hits?

This is a list of songs by bands that I normally like, but I've always thought these songs were nearly unlistenable, or at the very least not nearly among their best. I doubt I've even got the title correct for some of them.

Unlistenable
1. You'd Better You Bet (The Who) - Daultry tries, but the lyrics in the chorus just don't work.
2. Radio Gaga (Queen) - When Queen is on, they're a unique band. When they're off, they're uniquely bad. This is the worst of several awful songs that somehow received airplay. Queen probably would have the most songs on this list if I put forth the effort to exhume them all.
3. Mr. Roboto (Styx) - Did anyone ever like this song?

Not nearly among their best
1.Tom Sawyer (Rush) - Just, kind of, off, like, a bit, this sentence.
2. Creep (Radiohead) - Not unlistenable by any means, but it's funny how many people associate the band with their first hit. I honestly think i could name 20 better Radiohead songs.
3. Fight for Your Right to Party (Beastie Boys) - A little fun, I guess, but they moved on to such better things. And didn't Party for Your Right to Fight kill this song convincingly enough.

Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Personally I'm not sure how any Styx song was ever popular. I think the Simpsons nailed it in the episode where Homer was playing Odysseus, and was told by Circe that he had to cross the River Styx. It turns out to be a river of fire with a bunch of skeletons rocking out to Styx's "Lady" and Homer screaming "this truly is hell!"
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Roboto was a very big deal for Styx, while it wasn't particularly popular with their core fans, it did a lot to broaden their audience.

For Tom Sawyer I'm surprised to see anyone slag it. Kind of tough to rip what Geddy Lee calls " the quintessential Rush song ". And without Fight, I imagine there's a good chance the Beasties would have remained an undiscovered punk band instead of legends from their era.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Roboto was a very big deal for Styx, while it wasn't particularly popular with their core fans, it did a lot to broaden their audience.

For Tom Sawyer I'm surprised to see anyone slag it. Kind of tough to rip what Geddy Lee calls " the quintessential Rush song ". And without Fight, I imagine there's a good chance the Beasties would have remained an undiscovered punk band instead of legends from their era.

I wasn't ever a real big fan of the Beastie boys, but that was one of their only songs they have ever made that I actually liked enough to know some of the lyrics to. Not sure if I necessarily "liked" it, but I definitely tolerated it. I probably couldn't name more than 1 or 2 other Beastie Boy songs period.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand the need for a "not nearly their best" catagory. A lot of hits that define bands are not their best because those hits appeal to the mass audience instead of just the fanbase.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wasn't "Fight for Your Right" the MTV-darling that put the Beastie Boys on the map?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm not a fan of it, but Mr. Roboto is one of my mother's all time favorite songs. She listened to a particular radio station in the late 90s because it had a DJ she liked and that song was in heavy rotation.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There's always these random and poor hits in every era. In the early period of Rock, there is the ear blistering Surfin' Bird (The Bird is the Word). I use that as an example to prove my father wrong whenever he says music has gotten worse. No, listen to Surfin' Bird again. That is not a good song.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
2. Radio Gaga (Queen) - When Queen is on, they're a unique band. When they're off, they're uniquely bad. This is the worst of several awful songs that somehow received airplay. Queen probably would have the most songs on this list if I put forth the effort to exhume them all.

I have to disagree. Although it isn't one of Queen's best songs, it's still a very good song. I think a lot of people just can't get past the word "gaga" to treat it seriously enough.

Quote:

What Jon said.

Quote:
2. Creep (Radiohead) - Not unlistenable by any means, but it's funny how many people associate the band with their first hit. I honestly think i could name 20 better Radiohead songs.

I think this happens a lot, though, to many bands. It is a good song, though.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I've always liked "Mr. Roboto", but I could never stand "Radio Gaga".
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Creep, Tom Sawyer and Mr Roboto are probably my three favorite songs from Radiohead, Rush and Styx respectively. I'm not really a big fan of any of those groups, though, so YMMV.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You had to have been there at the time (we're talking 25-30 years ago!) - with no bias of music that came afterwards (even for the band). MTV had a lot to do with it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Tom Sawyer is very Rush-ish. I submit to you, that while it is possible to like Tom Sawyer while disliking Rush, it is not possible to like Rush while disliking Tom Sawyer.

I'm not saying it's their very best work (in fact I have great difficulty defining their best, as there is so much great material to choose from), but I cannot agree with your characterization of the song.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
3. Fight for Your Right to Party (Beastie Boys) - A little fun, I guess, but they moved on to such better things.

This is akin to looking down on a movie like Bachelor Party.

/likes both Mr. Roboto and Surfin' Bird
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Oh btw, when I saw the thread title, I assumed it was about the entire Poison library of material.

RIP
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Great, great movie.

RIP
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

I like every song mentioned in the first post, except for the Who song. And that song is certainly bearable.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
1. You'd Better You Bet (The Who) - Daultry tries, but the lyrics in the chorus just don't work.

I don't like this song either.

Quote:

Or this one.

Quote:
3. Mr. Roboto (Styx) - Did anyone ever like this song?

I find it amusing.

Quote:
Not nearly among their best

I like this one. It's really the only Rush song I know.

Quote:

Probably my favorite Radiohead song.

Quote:
3. Fight for Your Right to Party (Beastie Boys) - A little fun, I guess, but they moved on to such better things. And didn't Party for Your Right to Fight kill this song convincingly enough.

Not my favorite Beastie Boys song, but still, it's a classic and I like it. It's good fun like so many of their songs.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-06-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

I disagree because those two artists were on different trajectories. The B-boys got much better after Liscensed to Ill, while Hanks never even approached the glory of Bachelor Party again (Oscars be damned!)
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've never understood how anyone likes Rush at all. In fact I think I hate them. Sorry Hurst
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

I agree with you on the first 3 songs, but you lost me on the last 3.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

Creep is one of my favourite songs of any band. I can maybe see what you mean by the first three songs. But the last three are good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The real problem with the Beastie Boys is that they have too many songs in the Rock Band list, ruining my gaming experience...
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I've never understood how anyone likes Rush at all. In fact I think I hate them. Sorry Hurst

Say hello to my little ignore button!!!!!!!

RIP
Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I really like You Better, You Bet. It is very off the wall like most of their stuff. "I'm not into your passport picture, I just like your nose" Not sure what meaning "I felt a little like a dying clown with a streak of Rin Tin Tin" or "So they rode on his head in their furry donkey" have but they are great tunes.

The rest of the songs you mentioned are just different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited by panerd : 01-06-2009 at 11:39 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #26
JediKooter
Coordinator

"Fight for you Right" is an awesome tune. One of my favorite to play.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #27
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Be a musician geek who play drums, bass, keys, or guitars. Rush could probably tour based off of Neil Peart fan boys alone.

EDIT: Or watch "Freaks and Geeks," or Chuck for that matter.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-06-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

The only place the beastie bpys were legends was in their own minds. Talk about pop culture trash living off the bad taste of the masses.

Having them in any sort of comparison situation with the likes of Rush is is...is just....wrong. Its like comparing Ryan Leaf to Dan Marino and saying they're both pretty good Qb's.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Tell us what you really think .

I don't think you can use a Ryan Leaf to Marino comparison. First of all, the Beastie Boys have won Grammys and Leaf has never won a Pro-Bowl slow. Secondly, Rush ain't even close to being as good as Dan Marino.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
There's always these random and poor hits in every era. In the early period of Rock, there is the ear blistering Surfin' Bird (The Bird is the Word). I use that as an example to prove my father wrong whenever he says music has gotten worse. No, listen to Surfin' Bird again. That is not a good song.

I love Surfin' Bird; the song is awesome.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #31
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

Why I oughtta...

(take you off my xmas card list!)

That's ok. I've been poked fun of and been verbally abused for liking Rush my whole life.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 01-06-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #32
chesapeake
College Starter

I have always liked the Beastie Boys. The thing I have appreciated the most about them is that they created their own individual sound from elements of punk, rap, rock and pop that no one imagined could be fused and created something fun and enjoyable.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #33
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I don't think you can use a Ryan Leaf to Marino comparison. First of all, the Beastie Boys have won Grammys and Leaf has never won a Pro-Bowl slow. Secondly, Rush ain't even close to being as good as Dan Marino.

Actually its a perfect comparison:

The beastie Boys, like Ryan Leaf were all hype and no quality. Granmmy's? You think a GRAMMY is something that validates them? Nuff said...

And Rush and Dan Marino is also fitting as Rush and Dan both contain more talent in their pinky fingers than most bands and QBs would ever see in their careers.

So really, its the perfect analogy.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #34
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I have always liked the Beastie Boys. The thing I have appreciated the most about them is that they created their own individual sound from elements of punk, rap, rock and pop that no one imagined could be fused and created something fun and enjoyable.

So according to you they created Crap-pop-punk? Come on man thats existed for decades
Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #35
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Rush could never win that Super Bowl, alas.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #36
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
Why I oughtta...

(take you off my xmas card list!)

That's ok. I've been poked fun of and been verbally abused for liking Rush my whole life.

Rush would be great if the guy didn't sing...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #37
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

Boy! That's a new one! lol

I actually use that when talking about Nirvana. Only I use 'if Kris and Curt didn't play their instruments'.

You probably don't like Coheed and Cambria and The Mars Volta either.

As well, most people with that opinion of Rush have not heard any of their newer stuff. Most who agree with you only hear what's on the radio.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 01-06-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

What about the voice of Geddy Lee. How did it get so high? I wonder if he talks like an ordinary guy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #39
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
What about the voice of Geddy Lee. How did it get so high? I wonder if he talks like an ordinary guy.

First time I heard that song was sitting in the crowd of a Rush concert. It was being piped through the speakers. Neil does the play lists for the pre show and intermission tunes. I chuckled.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #40
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Geddy Lee has the same number of Super Bowl rings as Marino.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #41
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
So according to you they created Crap-pop-punk? Come on man thats existed for decades

Their own, special brand of it.

I came across the Beasties when I was going through my hardcore punk phase around 1984. Imagine my surprise when I heard "Licensed to Ill" for the first time. Not what I was expecting. Once I got past the "what the holy hell is this" shock, I realized what I had come across was pretty unusual and cool. Obviously, ymmv.

I don't think that the Beasties get the respect they deserve in the overall musical pantheon from that period. They were a unique group that would provide a bridge for a lot of fans who otherwise would never have considered listening to rap or the dance music that would come out in the late 80's and early 90's.

That said, they wouldn't be that bridge for me. I am a true son of the Pacific Northwest. My musical soul is made of flannel and gore-tex and coated heavily with grunge.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #42
rowech
Pro Starter

I tend to agree on the Beastie Boys. I like some of their stuff, can't stand some of their stuff but I feel they definitely get short-changed. Not sure who they got overshadowed by in the end...maybe grunge but I also think Red Hot Chilli Peppers took some of their thunder.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #43
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:

Perhaps in the minority, but I have no love for them and change the station when theyre on.

But I can also think of 20 better Radiohead songs than Creep.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #44
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The only place the beastie bpys were legends was in their own minds. Talk about pop culture trash living off the bad taste of the masses.

Having them in any sort of comparison situation with the likes of Rush is is...is just....wrong. Its like comparing Ryan Leaf to Dan Marino and saying they're both pretty good Qb's.

Yeah...Rush is Ryan Leaf...
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually its a perfect comparison:

The beastie Boys, like Ryan Leaf were all hype and no quality. Granmmy's? You think a GRAMMY is something that validates them? Nuff said...

And Rush and Dan Marino is also fitting as Rush and Dan both contain more talent in their pinky fingers than most bands and QBs would ever see in their careers.

So really, its the perfect analogy.

I believe you got that reversed . You sure you didn't mean the Beastie Boys were like Marino and Rush was like Leaf?

I like the Beastie Boys and think they created something new and imaginative. Rush is... meh.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
That said, they wouldn't be that bridge for me. I am a true son of the Pacific Northwest. My musical soul is made of flannel and gore-tex and coated heavily with grunge.

Which brings me to the recorded liner used by a local station on their Friday night metal show, something to the effect that "it was a time when metal ruled the airwaves & music was good ... until Kurt Cobain came along & fucked it all up".

And to throw another two cents into the evolved debate here, I give the Beasties their props for creating a niche even if it isn't a niche I'm particularly fond of. Without them, I'm not sure the soundtrack for the X-Games crowd would have ever existed.

edit to add: I almost forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Geddy Lee has the same number of Super Bowl rings as Marino.

Oh snap.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-06-2009 at 06:58 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #47
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This would make sense if they only released "License to Ill." "Paul's Boutique" pretty much makes your point invalid.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #48
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I believe you got that reversed . You sure you didn't mean the Beastie Boys were like Marino and Rush was like Leaf?

I like the Beastie Boys and think they created something new and imaginative. Rush is... meh.

HA! thanks for showing your music history ignorance. back of the line.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #49
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Perhaps in the minority, but I have no love for them and change the station when theyre on.

But I can also think of 20 better Radiohead songs than Creep.

I love the diversity here.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #50
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

the only hits are the songs that weird al parodies

yankovic 4 lyfe