Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
wudu
n00b

Exclamation 1992 historical roster

Given that this board doesnt seem to talk about FOF anymore, I'm not sure how much interest this will draw, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.
I'm working on a FOF4 historical roster file for the 1992 season. For those of you with long memories, you may remember that I was working on a 1999 roster some months ago. Well that project failed when the file became corrupted. So for the past few months, I've been using Football @ JT-SW (http://www.jt-sw.com/football/), the NFL Historical Archives (http://nflarchives.com), and Ultimate Football II to create an entirely accurate 1992 file, complete with accurate birthdays, hometowns, weights and heights. One of the only glaring inaccuracies will be franchises. The Jaguars, Panthers, Texans, and Ravens will all have no players at all. And, I don't think there is any reasonable way to move the Raiders and Rams back to LA, and the Oilers back to Houston. Also, defenses will be a little off. Most teams in 2002 used 4-3 defenses, while the rosters I'm making are 75% 3-4. The computer starts most teams as 4-3.
I have also extrapolated reasonable salaries, using draft postion, skill, age, how long a player has been with a team, and if and when they changed team in the future. Player abilities are determined only by stats and my own personal memories of the players. HOF points are hit or miss. I haven't quite nailed down that part yet, but for the most part, those who played in 1992 and made the actual hall of fame, make it in the game (Singletary, Montana, etc.). The salary cap starts at $42 million, not historically accurate, but reasonable enough. With the salaries I've given each player, most teams are comfortably under the cap, with room to keep their stars for a few years.
So far, I've finished every teams offense and special teams. All defenses are done except for those of the Eagles, Chargers, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers, Buccaneers, and Redskins. I can finish a team or two a day, so hopefully I'll be finished pretty soon. After the rosters are done, I'm going to tweak the league a little, and run some tests to see if I can get this HOF point thing fixed, and then I'll somehow get it to those who are interested. Hopefully The Front Office Football Historical Project will post this on their site.
I'll finish it even if there is no interest at all, but it'll be nice for my ego to see if there are any people out there who can justify my football nerdiness, and maybe encourage me to do another roster file after this one.

wudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:11 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

cool. take us back to the era of tecmo super bowl!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #3
wudu
n00b

Eagles are done! 6 more teams to go.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:26 PM   #4
kid_dynamite
Mascot

nice work wudu!
Old 03-26-2003, 01:12 AM   #5
wudu
n00b

Cardinals are finished. Man they sucked in '92.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:39 AM   #6
3ric
College Starter

Cool to see that there's more of us "history replay" buffs out there. Have you seen these:
http://www.cflfb.com/FOF/fof.htm, both cthomer at me have that link in our signatures.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...&threadid=4504, dynasty thread that replays NFL history from 1970 and on, currently in 1978.

Also, I'm working on a better roster file editor. It's basically the draft file editor with some extra bells and whistles. I've been announcing it since January so it's long overdue.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:17 AM   #7
wudu
n00b

Groovy, I'll be looking forward to that editor. Hopefully we can convince those guys over at the Historical society to finish up the years of 1993-2002 so we can replay a more contemporary version of the NFL
Old 03-26-2003, 05:11 AM   #8
3ric
College Starter

Until a month ago, the draft files were trickling in from both Nilodor and DFast who was doing a file in 3-4 days. They (and me) apparently have been busy with work and school lately so there hasn't been much updates since.

I should be able to finish the editor soon and then help out with creating some more draft files.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:25 PM   #9
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

so busy with school but my last midterm is tomorrow, got a test tonight as well, i expect to finish 84 this weekend and probably update 03 very soon.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 12:11 AM   #10
wudu
n00b

Chargers are done. Only 49ers, Seahawks, Bucs, and Redskins remain. Home stretch.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:08 AM   #11
3ric
College Starter

I have done the roster editing capabilities now, but inserting and deleting players is still a work in progress. I'm getting weird crashes and unpredictable behaviour. Stay tuned.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:35 AM   #12
wudu
n00b

49ers are finished!
Old 03-30-2003, 10:52 AM   #13
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Very close to having another jump off point
Old 03-30-2003, 04:32 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by wudu
49ers are finished!

Lord how I wish that was really true. Nothing would please me more than for the Niners to be out of the league...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 07:48 PM   #15
wudu
n00b

The Seahawks are, in fact, finished. Have been for a while. Oh, and I finished filling their roster.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:06 PM   #16
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by wudu
The Seahawks are, in fact, finished. Have been for a while. Oh, and I finished filling their roster.

LOL!
Old 03-31-2003, 11:30 PM   #17
wudu
n00b

The Yucks are done. I feel very bad for them. They have plenty of cap room, but thats a bad thing. Noone worth paying. It's amazing how poorly some teams were (and still are, Bungles) managed in football.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:08 PM   #18
wudu
n00b

The Redskins, the last team in the file, are done. Now all I've got to do is test it out, make sure that everything seems in order, and put a few finishing touches on it. It'll probably be ready tonight or tomorrow, depending on how many touches I put.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:54 AM   #19
wudu
n00b

Well, its done, but I wouldn't presume to know how to distribute it. Senator, you're more than welcome to post the file on the Historical Society page and whatnot. Shall I email it to you? Everyone let me know about comments, criticisms, or poetry written about my file. Or, quite possibly, suggestions for the next file that I do.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:00 AM   #20
3ric
College Starter

You can probably just go ahead and email it to Sen. Just write a little description so he'll know it's a roster file and not a draft file.

You could also zip it up and attach it to a post in this thread.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:06 AM   #21
wudu
n00b

Ok, sounds like a plan, heres the zip file. Let me know if it works.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:44 PM   #22
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

looking forward to giving it a look