Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Case of the Word "Bigger" & The Closeness of the Letter B to Another Letter...

Okay, I just had this happen to me, and I have gotten to thinking about why we don't see it happen more often...

I was in the middle of writing a long post which included the word "bigger". Well, like I suppose most anyone, I am not a great typist, and often having to correct the mistakes I catch, and try to review what I type before I post to make sure I didn't miss any other typos.

Well, in this post, I didn't hit the "b" when I typed out "bigger". Instead, my finger hit the letter to the right. Look down if you don't know what I am talking about.

Yeah, that completely changed the meaning of that sentence.

Fortunately, I had checked back and caught it before posting.

But that got me to thinking why we don't see this happen more often? Bigger isn't an uncommon word, especially in stream of consciousness posting that goes on on Internet forums, and there are plenty of typos that get posted and careless people who don't backcheck their posts.

Now, I am plenty happy that it doesn't happen, but just thought it odd that I have never seen that particular mistake actually get posted. Anyone else ever see this?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

the letters are next to each other but are not in the range of one hand. It would actually be a pretty weird typo. "Vigger" or "Gigger" are much more likely variants.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cue somebody posting the south park clip
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
the letters are next to each other but are not in the range of one hand. It would actually be a pretty weird typo. "Vigger" or "Gigger" are much more likely variants.

Interesting. I definitely type "B" with my right index finger. And that's the firstl etter of my name!
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I combat that possibility by just typing the correct letters every time.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It wouldn't be hard to do on a suretype phone where n and b are on the same button.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Ah, I could see that. This might be a more isolated case for me, then, because I "taught" myself to type long before I attempted any formal training, and afterwards, I could never get myself to type the way most do. I don't keep my hands level and adjust my fingers, I actually move my hands all over the keyboard and type every letter with my forefingers. It definitely increases the possibility of hitting the wrong key, although I am very fast with it now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Also, this is a complete guess, but I don't think most single-letter typos happen at the beginning of a word.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

You are a bigger man than I for admitting this.

(What was the sentence?)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ah, I could see that. This might be a more isolated case for me, then, because I "taught" myself to type long before I attempted any formal training, and afterwards, I could never get myself to type the way most do. I don't keep my hands level and adjust my fingers, I actually move my hands all over the keyboard and type every letter with my forefingers. It definitely increases the possibility of hitting the wrong key, although I am very fast with it now.

I am the same way as you. I type 90+ wpm using 2-3 fingers. Since I have had computers since 1980, I pretty much have memorized spacial relationships of what keys are where on the keyboard and can type without looking using just two-three fingers. So although I never have had this happen to me before, this is very easily something that -could- easily happen to me with my typing style.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Alan: I want video. I've never seen anyone type that fast without using the full 10 fingers, or at least darn close.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I combat that possibility by just typing the correct letters every time.
I combat that possibility by being a wanton racist.

Bigger.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 12-27-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Alan: I want video. I've never seen anyone type that fast without using the full 10 fingers, or at least darn close.

I do it as well. I get a lot of comments when people are looking over my shoulder, after listening to me type they are not expecting the crappy form. My accuracy does suffer some though.

Edit: I'm 2-3 fingers on each hand though. Yeah, two to three fingers total, i don't see it

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-27-2008 at 09:31 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
Critch
lolzcat

I used to work with a secretary who found out the closeness of the C and the D letter when sending a letter to a Mr Dunt.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

I can try to figure out how to do a video of it with my web camera if you all are really that interested When FOFC was big on that wordracer game though, I was constantly in the 100-130 range, but that game was pretty easy and in normal typing I am much closer to 90wpm.

To be specific of my typing style, I am right handed, I use only the pointer on my left hand to type and I use my pointer and middle fingers on my right hand.

I guess technically I do use a fourth finger, as I also use my right hand thumb as well, but it only ever hits the space bar, so I never really count it but probably should.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, This is kind of crappy quality. I didn't really have a very good angle for everyone to see easily, but I had to take a web camera and hook it Clamp it onto an ipod sitting on my desk to angle it just right to even be able to see the keyboard.

You can see I actually hold the 5 fingers and thumb that I do not even use up in the air as I type and they don't ever even hit the keypad. I'm actually surprised that more people don't type this way. I am sure that I am not the only mid-30 year old who learned to type as a kid on old Commadore or Texas Instrument or Tandy computers long before typing lessons.

Anyhows, attached for your enjoyment is the small 45 second clip (5-10 seconds of it was actually starting and stopping of the video capture) , and the attached text file that I typed. Looking at it, I saw at least two typos in it, but oh well I usually make several typos, but thanks to spell checker in Firefox, no one ever has to know it
Attached Files
File Type: zip typing.zip (4.09 MB, 27 views)
File Type: txt typing-text.txt (365 Bytes, 16 views)

Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Color me impressed.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

I type a sort of hybrid style, where I don't use my pinkies except for the return and shift keys.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #19
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I never counted how many fingers I type with but looking now, it looks like it is all 10, I think, even though I use 4 on my left and 2 on my right predominantly (plus spacebar thumbs).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
You can see I actually hold the 5 fingers and thumb that I do not even use up in the air as I type and they don't ever even hit the keypad. I'm actually surprised that more people don't type this way. I am sure that I am not the only mid-30 year old who learned to type as a kid on old Commadore or Texas Instrument or Tandy computers long before typing lessons.
That's insane. I'm impressed. I'm 32 years old, learned to type on a Commodore 64 back in 1982, and I never typed like that. Over time, I sort of "evolved" into typing the "correct" way, but even at my most unorthodox, I was never like that. Good show.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I combat that possibility by being a wanton racist.

Bigger.
Before this gets lost, it made me laugh.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
You are a bigger man than I for admitting this.

(What was the sentence?)

lol...here it is, from a post in the FOOL forum:

Perhaps if we get things going again and see renewed interest we can consider trying to go back to a bigger league.

Feel free to substitute words at your leisure.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #23
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I'm 30 and I type exactly like you. Probably not 90 wpm, but fast enough to catch people by surprise when they see me type! I out started with a Commodore 64 when I was 5 years old and by the time I had to take typing class in high school there was no chance of "correcting" my typing.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The real question...can one be boxed for mis typing the word bigger...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #25
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The real question...can one be boxed for mis typing the word bigger...

On this board, I'm sure he can...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #26
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
lol...here it is, from a post in the FOOL forum:

Perhaps if we get things going again and see renewed interest we can consider trying to go back to a bigger league.

Feel free to substitute words at your leisure.

in the context, that would have been quite the typo!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
You can see I actually hold the 5 fingers and thumb that I do not even use up in the air as I type and they don't ever even hit the keypad.
Please, like all of us aren't used to typing with one hand.